ADVERTISEMENT

So, How Are You Enjoying the Team So Far?

Am I watching the same team, I'm sorry, this team would beat last year's team handily. Last year we depended on scoring, we saw where that got us. This team would zone last year's team and make monk shoot over 7ft wing spans. Kill them on the boards. Foul out monk/fox that team is done

Last year's team was one possession away from a final four.

I mean I love this team as well but let's wait and see before we say they are that much better than last year's team.

Reactions: awf
I like them. We got a scrappy type backcourt, the best set of small forwards in the college game, and some hard nosed post play and shot blocking defense.

We can make a run if Shea and Quade keep shooting 3's above 37%. Thats a big key.

Reactions: _Rooster
Just watch when league play road games come along. We certainly cannot beat anybody. We're all freshman our top 6 guys once Vanderbilt gets back our top 7.

Once Vanderbilt gets going Gabriel will be our 8th and last guy off the bench. When league play starts, having 9, 10 guys in the rotation won't happen. Wynyard being 10.
SKJ will be riding pine also, Gabriel will play, but will be lucky as the 8th man.

We started out like crap I'd give this team a C-. But as of today, our growth imo we're a B.
Hopefully by March we can be a B+, Or HOPEFULLY A SOLID A.

This team can't beat everybody, we are a top 25 team no doubt. Last year's 32-6 team would handle our current team by 15. Last year we went 16-2 in conference. This year, SEC is triple better, and We're not as good as we were. I say we end up with a record similar, or a bit worse than our 2016 second round loss 9 loss team. I'm guessing 26, 27 wins.27-10. Is what our record will be, 27-10 (11-7) SEC.

HOPEFULLY, 90% returns, and we add our studs and win it all next year.

So many things wrong here. This team can beat anybody, but they can lose to anybody. If you are hanging on to Vanderbilt playing this year, you may be disappointed. You have your opinions, but you are not giving this group of guys much respect. I think they are better than you give credit for.

I love my team this year. They are so very young but I see them getting better by the game. I don't see any glaring weaknesses. Last year, when Bam went out, our rebounding and interior offense was gone. This year, I think we will be a handfull to keep off the glass. Come March, we'll be very hard to beat.

This is a good post. You know, the no superstar but everyone is very good and everyone improving could make this team special. But... turnovers show lack of mental toughness GET TOUGH! Knox needs to get more anchored, more solid and sturdy in his lower body - his moves are ballet moves. GET TOUGH! PJ got out of my dog house yesterday. I'm rooting for this team to surprise us!

Guessing no one else is concerned about these kids lack of killer instinct- getting big leads then losing them like yesterday a 28 point lead down to 16 or against Harvard a 21 point lead down to 9?

Guessing no one else is concerned about these kids lack of killer instinct- getting big leads then losing them like yesterday a 28 point lead down to 16 or against Harvard a 21 point lead down to 9?

No. It's perfectly natural for teams to let up when they are up by that much.

It's a complete non issue. In the NCAA tournament, we won't be up by 30 to begin with lol

I've enjoyed them all season so far. Expectations are not super high, as noted by many others, but they are playing pretty hard and I do see improvement from time to time with each and all of them. They may have a chance to go pretty far into the tournament if they continue to work and improve as a team but they don't seem to have that special wow factor so I'm not trying to be unrealistic and would not be surprised by a fairly early out in the tourney either. Just going to enjoy watching them and hoping to see great progress throughout the season and then see what we look like come March. Fun group to watch for me so far and I think we see a good number of them coming back next year.

Seems to me the only people that are concerned are the people who are betting the spread...............I think back over my 50+ years of watching UK play basketball. I remember games and wins but not the score......curious isn't it? Who cares if they let up at the end of a gimme game.

So many things wrong here. This team can beat anybody, but they can lose to anybody. If you are hanging on to Vanderbilt playing this year, you may be disappointed. You have your opinions, but you are not giving this group of guys much respect. I think they are better than you give credit for.
Bwahaha so many things right here. Who said I was hanging on Vanderbilt to make a difference? Read, read, read, comprehend, read again. But you keep your opinion to yourself, I wasn't writing to you, I disagree with you, I honestly don't know what you're talking about. You tried twisting my words, but we will see at end of the year.
Just for laughs, what are you expecting from this team? You have some blue tinted glasses on, remove them and tell me what you see this team end game. If you say a damn national title you're a nut. If you say a FF you're a homer.
Why can't fans on this message board be honest with themselves? Either you're too ignorant to actually know better or you're Kwilt alter ego. I'm not saying we suck, no, I'm saying at our tip top end of season form, a sweet 16 is as far as I HONESTLY see.

Next year, we hopefully don't have 9 guys run to the draft, hopefully we just lose Hami. Then with the guys we got, and are going after THATS HOW YOU WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Who wins the tourney in march/april?

No one knows.

That's a good place to begin and hopefully we will take advantage of this opportunity to play above average by March. Right now, we are still trying to find ourselves. Roles, team chemistry, etc.

Bwahaha so many things right here. Who said I was hanging on Vanderbilt to make a difference? Read, read, read, comprehend, read again. But you keep your opinion to yourself, I wasn't writing to you, I disagree with you, I honestly don't know what you're talking about. You tried twisting my words, but we will see at end of the year.
Just for laughs, what are you expecting from this team? You have some blue tinted glasses on, remove them and tell me what you see this team end game. If you say a damn national title you're a nut. If you say a FF you're a homer.
Why can't fans on this message board be honest with themselves? Either you're too ignorant to actually know better or you're Kwilt alter ego. I'm not saying we suck, no, I'm saying at our tip top end of season form, a sweet 16 is as far as I HONESTLY see.

Next year, we hopefully don't have 9 guys run to the draft, hopefully we just lose Hami. Then with the guys we got, and are going after THATS HOW YOU WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS.

I have zero expectations this year. I am just watching each game hoping to see improvement and enjoying watching my cats.

You have an unusual choice of language to just disagree. You understand that saying, that when you have no facts to debate, resort to name calling?

Last year's team was one possession away from a final four.

I mean I love this team as well but let's wait and see before we say they are that much better than last year's team.

Exactly, that's why I believe this team has the makings for a NC. This team is deeper, plays way better D, can score from every position, deeper and not reliant on the 3ptr.

My expectations for a deep run in March were tempered at the beginning of the season which made the games easier to watch for me. I see the team growing and I am getting more confident about this team and I am starting to believe we can make a deep run. To quote Cal " I like this team "

Reactions: _Rooster and JC43
I have zero expectations this year. I am just watching each game hoping to see improvement and enjoying watching my cats.

You have an unusual choice of language to just disagree. You understand that saying, that when you have no facts to debate, resort to name calling?
I called you a name? I'm sorry if it came out that way. I have expectations EVERY year, but I can also clearly see when it's not a year that meets expectations. We need guys to come back next year.

I like this team. It’s fun to see the advancement of SKJ and even Tai. Knox is a stud. I’m like everyone else wanting to see Vanderbilt play

Exactly, that's why I believe this team has the makings for a NC. This team is deeper, plays way better D, can score from every position, deeper and not reliant on the 3ptr.

Man I always love seeing the blue tinted super glasses on people, but I just don't know how you can make this statement when the only pretty good team we have played handled us pretty easily. This great depth, better D, and scoring has barely gotten us through the cupcake part of our schedule. If we go 6-6 or worse in our next 12 games, will you still think about a NC?

Personally I think up until now means nothing, the season starts Saturday.

We were a possession away from winning the kansas game. It's not blue tinted glasses, if it is well, we are on a UK site last time I checked. This team finds ways to win. We do not rely on offense to win unlike teams of the past.
The season started in November. If we lost it would of counted, therefore wins do as well. Like all great teams, it's game by game. Improvement each game.
Don't understand the portion of our so called fanbase that wishes losses so they can be right. You know who you are. Like Cal said, 'i like this team'.

Last edited:
We were a possession away from winning the kansas game. It's not blue tinted glasses, if it is well, we are on a UK site last time I checked. This team finds ways to win. We do not rely on offense to win unlike teams of the past.
The season started in November. If we lost it would of counted, therefore wins do as well. Like all great teams, it's game by game. Improvement each game.
Don't understand the portion of our so called fanbase that wishes losses so they can be right. You know who you are. Like Cal said, 'i like this team'.

And we were free throws away and 3 pointers away from losing by 10-15. Blah, blah, blah. We can do the what if argument forever, but if we play Kansas today there is a very good chance the result will be the same. You don't learn much from playing cupcakes, and if anything, we have learned that this team can struggle with cupcakes, so I am pretty sure my initial reaction to the NC talk is still correct. Let's see what happens the next 12. That will be the actual time to decide if this team is a NC contender.

And don't turn this into a "I'm a bigger UK fan than you are" thing. Not one UK fan I know wishes the team to lose, but there is definitely a large portion of the fan base affected by Blue Tint Syndrome.

I called you a name? I'm sorry if it came out that way. I have expectations EVERY year, but I can also clearly see when it's not a year that meets expectations. We need guys to come back next year.

Look I agree with you that we need some guys to stay around more than a year or two to win a NC, but as of right now, we have what we have.

I like this team. But, I haven’t connected with them yet.

I connected with Fox/Bam right at the end of Februrary last year and I teared up a little watching them in the locker room after that sham of a game against UNC. That loss didn’t hurt as much as the Whisky loss, but...it hurt pretty bad knowing 1) we should’ve beat them, and 2) UNC has NO business being there after decades of cheating and having ref support to win against us and Arkansas the previous game. Ugh. I digress.

I’m sure this team will be he same way. I’ll connect emotionally with one or two of the guys and with hope we raise a banner.

I’m also sure there will be a point in late January early February where I’ll sulk in the house after a loss saying I hate this team. I did it after the Florida loss last year.

This season will have its ups and downs. But as long as we come ready to kick butt in March? I’ll love this team.

Look I agree with you that we need some guys to stay around more than a year or two to win a NC, but as of right now, we have what we have.
We agree on both parts, it's just on the second part, we are what we are, is it enough to meet the programs expectatons of winning a national title? Expierence is a key ingredient to winning a title.

I fell asleep during the last game. Missed the one before that too.

A few years back, I wouldn't miss a game. Always made sure to have on UK gear, the game thread up, and a game tracker up.

The colonel is dead and we still enjoy his chicken.
Rooster-Revenge--131424.jpg

It's not being a bigger fan, it's about recognition. This team has improved since day one. we will see.

I know this team isn’t as flashy or as dominating as those of the past, but it’s kind of refreshing to see them growing, scrapping to become good from scratch, without that superstar to lean on. Should make for a strong team effort later in the season, as opposed to the head starts we’re accustomed to.
I’m enjoying them. In just a few weeks the progress has been huge.
Like Cal said, 'i like this team'.
This team has improved since day one. we will see.
150318_SNUT_SleazeCalipari.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg

As a true blue sunshine pumper. I'm loving the trajectory of this team.
community_image_1423697314.gif

By this time of the season, I am usually feeling a lot of pressure about each game as we head into conference play... we're ranked in the top five, and the analysts are recycling all the anti-UK arguments they do each year, blah-blah, one-and-done... I am in a completely different place this year, and while it has taken some getting used to, I like it. NO ONE is talking about Kentucky, I think we just fell out of the top 25 through no fault of our own, and each of our games is really interesting to watch. Kids step up and do unexpected, awesome things. How many of our guys have scored 20 points in a game? And it's just December. I am not sure how this season will pan out, but it's likely that much of this year's team will be with us next year. That fact alone makes this team worth our time and support. This athleticism, plus a year of maturity and chemistry? The future looks bright!

It’s been a boring, lackluster season for the most part with all the cupcake games. It’s hard to get a feel for the team or the personalities. I’m hoping they develop and we see them blossom as individuals soon.

Cant remember a time I was less interested in a UK team. Maybe things will change when we actually start playing teams that are capable of beating us.

Dealing with that a little myself. Still watching, hoping for that moment when this team clicks. Still fun seeing improvement though. I think they’ll get it. If not, next year will have some great balance.

Put me in the camp with you guys. I have no connection to this team. In the past we have had at least one of three following characteristic players that create some emotional connection for watching.

1. A transcendental player moving their way through UK and onto greatness at the next level (Wall, Davis, KAT).
2. A true Kentucky kid finally breaking through and contributing meaningful minutes (Miller, Willis, Hawkins)
3. A talented athlete putting it all together and taking it to the next level in a follow up year (Cauley-Stein)

This team just seems like a bunch of random dudes playing pick-up ball with UK jerseys on. I am trying hard.

Reactions: KyFaninNC

I get what you're saying, but I think you're too far out. Come in closer to shore some.

Green, Knox, Richards, Diallo, Washington, SKJ, Vanderbilt, SGA, are all very much good enough for a final four. Will they make it? Depends on how well they put It together by February. Defensively they aren't close to being a final four contender, but it's just December.

The tournament is about path and matchups. I hate that we have no upperclassman, but they could turn hot and ride their lane.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Man I always love seeing the blue tinted super glasses on people, but I just don't know how you can make this statement when the only pretty good team we have played handled us pretty easily. This great depth, better D, and scoring has barely gotten us through the cupcake part of our schedule. If we go 6-6 or worse in our next 12 games, will you still think about a NC?

Personally I think up until now means nothing, the season starts Saturday.
Did you even watch the Kansas game? We were up I believe under 4 minutes and th game was in doubt to the last minute. If that’s what you saw then take off the hate goggles.

Put me in the camp with you guys. I have no connection to this team. In the past we have had at least one of three following characteristic players that create some emotional connection for watching.

1. A transcendental player moving their way through UK and onto greatness at the next level (Wall, Davis, KAT).
2. A true Kentucky kid finally breaking through and contributing meaningful minutes (Miller, Willis, Hawkins)
3. A talented athlete putting it all together and taking it to the next level in a follow up year (Cauley-Stein)

This team just seems like a bunch of random dudes playing pick-up ball with UK jerseys on. I am trying hard.
Try harder.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I like them, am lot. The athleticism runs deep on this team. There are a couple legit badasses as well. Not a big drop off spots six thru eight or nine. No big holes in the roster either as has been the case over the last few years. Our 'bench' guys would be starting on almost any other team out there. This team is barely scratching the surface of what they could become.

I know this team isn’t as flashy or as dominating as those of the past, but it’s kind of refreshing to see them growing, scrapping to become good from scratch, without that superstar to lean on. Should make for a strong team effort later in the season, as opposed to the head starts we’re accustomed to.

I’m keeping my expectations in check, and watching it play out.
"Spring Training" is over. It has been a good introduction to the increased speed of the game from high school. Now, every one of their opponents are better than all of the teams they faced except for Kansas...and Kansas is not an elite, top five team (IMO). We have the ability to play better now than a month ago...obviously! I like this team's chances to keep going up, but I'm a little leary of our achilles heels...outside shooting and high, unforced turnovers. The zone defense ironically may take us to heights not possible by solely playing man-to-man, especially since we have not yet shown a decent capability of playing man-to-man. I predict we'll end the season second or third in the conference (12-6) and get a four-seed with a potential knockout in the second round. Like the NBA, the game has swung too much in favor of the three-point shot, one big reason Arizona State was able to rip Kansas on their home floor, BC beating Duke, etc. Cal has done an absolutely marvelous job thus far and can take these guys a long way, but a Final Four is not in the cards this year.

Cant remember a time I was less interested in a UK team. Maybe things will change when we actually start playing teams that are capable of beating us.

Hmm ... except a few of the teams we’ve played could absolutely beat us. To be where we are with a team full of freshman who have NEVER played college ball nor together “professionly” it’s pretty damn good that we’re sitting with ONE loss, to a relatively good team (King K and duke lost to a bad team but everyone is still sucking that duo off ) and ranked in the top 10.

No they’re not nrearly as “exciting” as past teams but that happens sometimes when you’re a college basketball fan. Some teams are better and more fun. Some teams are more “vanilla” but each have their positives.

Some of you all have ignorant and unrealistic expectations.

Most rational fans realistic expectations?

For the most part Have consistently good teams

Recruit well

Don’t cheat

Have our team in contention for a FF/ title most/ every year.

Cal has surpassed expectations but if you don’t want to admit that , then he’s at least met them.

You all will just complain about anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT