ADVERTISEMENT

So, How Are You Enjoying the Team So Far?

KYtotheCore

Senior
Jan 5, 2010
Anytown, USA
I know this team isn’t as flashy or as dominating as those of the past, but it’s kind of refreshing to see them growing, scrapping to become good from scratch, without that superstar to lean on. Should make for a strong team effort later in the season, as opposed to the head starts we’re accustomed to.

I’m keeping my expectations in check, and watching it play out.

I feel like everyone I talk to is really down on this years team. I'm usually a pessimist, but I like this group.

Reactions: Cawood86
I like this team a lot! I'm especially enjoying Cal finally playing a zone defense once in a while. I thought the offense vs the zone was also quite good today.
I have seen a lot of improvement over the last two weeks. We are not flashy but this had more potential than I originally thought. I loved what I saw out of PJ today. Knox will be solid. Diallo is flashy...may need to take a few less jumpers. PG play needs to improve but both have shown signs being able to run the team. We really need to cut down turnovers and play a little better defense and where I thought round of 32 I can see a much deeper run now.

I’m enjoying them
In just a few weeks the progress has been huge. I think if the Kansas game were today, we’d have beaten them
We’re still going to take some losses but I’m pretty optimistic

It's fun watching them improve as individuals and as a team. Have had setbacks to overcome but they have so much balance. Cut down the turnovers. Going to win a lot of games. Fun to be under the radar. Many on this site pick us 3rd in the SEC. I like my team.

Reactions: 78Gooses
Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I like how this team is growing. PJ took a big step today. Diallo's shot selection has improved. Knox had his worse game at UK, SKJ didn't play and UK had other guys step up. I know they weren't playing the 86' Celtics, but they looked better in some areas.
Turnovers are the one thing right now that really concern me. Plus, I haven't seen a real dominant team in CBB this year. UK is not getting a lot of pub right now because they have struggled and I think that's good. Keep plugging along.

I love this team. Physically we are flat out scary. And Knox is a flat out stud, off nights happen to everyone. Diallo can't be stopped when he drives to the basket and his jumper seems to be coming along. Washington just needs to bring effort every night and he will be fine. Gabriel has much improved his jumper. SKJ has improved and Nick Richards is slowly developing a post hook and is a good rebounder. Shai is a good shooter and defender and Green can stroke it too.

I LOVE this team. I'm sure we still have a 20-point meltdown loss ahead of us, but more than any team we've had in the past, I can see these guys listening to Cal. Every game we play, I see them explicitly adopting the instructions Cal is giving, sometimes to an extreme. For example, how many times in the past have we heard Cal say "we need to take more threes?" I can't remember any. Why is that an issue? It's not because these guys don't love taking threes. With a green light, Knox and PJ would shoot 20 a game between just the two of them. It's because Cal said, "You guys need to live in the lane. Drive, drive, and drive some more. Use your height, play over the top." And our guys listened. Half our turnovers occur because Quade, Shai, and Knox are trying to make the extra pass in the offensive action instead of dribbling around, which elite offensive players love to do.

These kids are humble, and they're learning. And because they're a bunch of freshmen with little to no "elite" talent, my expectations are low. So every win is a pleasant surprise. This is actually a low-stress, highly-enjoyable season for me.

I love our team. (Course I love all of our teams). With this team, I’m really enjoying watching them grow. It’s very interesting and entertaining. I’m really excited about the next 3 games and starting conference play. LESSSGGGOOO!!!

Our growth from game to game so far has been astonishing to be honest. Granted, much of that stems from the rawness we started with, however, it's still impressive. I actually like that this team does not have a star but has multiple guys who can have those kind of nights. It makes it a lot harder for teams to prepare defensively against us. I think this team will be one of the handful of favorites in March. If we get Vanderbilt back we will be a very hard team to beat.

I think 1-8, this is potentially Cal's most talented offensive team. Nary a bricklayer to be found (51% FG% as a team). Now, are they good enough defensively? We'll see against better competition, but I'm bullish. Rebounding? Could be an issue. Turnovers for sure are ticking all of us off...that needs to improve ASAP. But is there a guy in our top 8 that you cringe when he pulls up for a 16 footer? Even Richards is shooting 77% from the FT line. This team is versatile, offensively talented, and it's only early December. And, if we get Vanderbilt back....wow. Should be a fun ride against a talented SEC schedule.

I think 1-8, this is potentially Cal's most talented offensive team. Nary a bricklayer to be found (51% FG% as a team). Now, are they good enough defensively? We'll see against better competition, but I'm bullish. Rebounding? Could be an issue. Turnovers for sure are ticking all of us off...that needs to improve ASAP. But is there a guy in our top 8 that you cringe when he pulls up for a 16 footer? Even Richards is shooting 77% from the FT line. This team is versatile, offensively talented, and it's only early December. And, if we get Vanderbilt back....wow. Should be a fun ride against a talented SEC schedule.

I agree with this. in the past we have had one two or even three elite scorers, after that nothing. i feel much better with this team. Any time anyone shoots i feel good about the shot. I think this team sees the elite 8 and wouldnt be surprised to see them in the FF. Offensive will continue to improve and with Cal you KNOW the Defense will come, he demands defense. Strangely I think we will have a tougher time with the SEC then the NCAAT. wouldnt surprise me to come in third in the SEC and still see the FF

This is a fun to watch team,watching without expectations is better than I thought. It is tough getting only a weekly dose of UK basketball.

I do have one expectation that I can't seem to shake,every time we shoot a 3 I expect a miss,I am surprised by the ones that go in.

College basketball has a different feel for me this year.I am not as into it as in years past.No one looks great or everybody looks better I can't decide which.

In our case we aren't as good 1 thru 3 but we are probably better 1 thru 9 than any other Cal team here.

This team is unique. It has to be Cal’s most balanced team. You never know on any given night who the best player will be. In 9 games it’s been Knox, Diallo, Richards, Green, and today it was Washington.

I LOVE this team. I'm sure we still have a 20-point meltdown loss ahead of us, but more than any team we've had in the past, I can see these guys listening to Cal. Every game we play, I see them explicitly adopting the instructions Cal is giving, sometimes to an extreme. For example, how many times in the past have we heard Cal say "we need to take more threes?" I can't remember any. Why is that an issue? It's not because these guys don't love taking threes. With a green light, Knox and PJ would shoot 20 a game between just the two of them. It's because Cal said, "You guys need to live in the lane. Drive, drive, and drive some more. Use your height, play over the top." And our guys listened. Half our turnovers occur because Quade, Shai, and Knox are trying to make the extra pass in the offensive action instead of dribbling around, which elite offensive players love to do.

These kids are humble, and they're learning. And because they're a bunch of freshmen with little to no "elite" talent, my expectations are low. So every win is a pleasant surprise. This is actually a low-stress, highly-enjoyable season for me.
I don't think they will get blown out this year. I think they will lose a few but I bet even in those losses they will be close games that go down to the wire.

I'm not enjoying it as much as I will be in March but it's fun to watch these young guys improve although it is 2 steps forward one step back sometimes. Seems like if some players have a bad game or week other guys step up which shows good chemistry for such an inexperienced bunch and should pay off when they all mature and fire on all cylinders. Tons of upside if there's enough time.

Reactions: _Rooster
I’m a little worried to face a lockdown defensive team. We will have a few games this year where it looks like its impossible to score.

Team has improved since first few games but still missing something on offense (Against non-cupcakes).

If Cal can get this team to an elite 8 it will be his best coaching job to date.

They are getting better for sure. But they are careless with the all and they are lousy passers leading to way too many turnovers but that hopefully will improve with time

It’s been a boring, lackluster season for the most part with all the cupcake games. It’s hard to get a feel for the team or the personalities. I’m hoping they develop and we see them blossom as individuals soon.

Said from the beginning, this is a team that has been finding ways to win. I like that it's not only one superstar but always a duo, a trio today .This team can shoot, with as much zone we been seeing early on, and having several zone offenses to run, this team is getting there. Yes, I would love a complete game from start to finish, but we lost only once. In that Kansas game we could of won as well but didn't. I find this team more complete than the past two teams, whereas we have options on scoring.
Next 3 weeks we will learn a lot. Come conference play, we will be tested by actual talent...how many sec teams are in top 25?
Go Big Blue!

We have all the weapons to be great by March: size, athleticism, shooting, depth and defense.

Cal has brought them along slowly but it will be worth it by the Tournament.

Reactions: _Rooster and JC43
Cant remember a time I was less interested in a UK team. Maybe things will change when we actually start playing teams that are capable of beating us.

Reactions: lsvljoe
I am actually enjoying this team. I see a ton of upside, plus I started the season with zero expectations. I will not be surprised when we win, nor when we lose, capable of beating anyone and losing to anyone.
Just watch when league play road games come along. We certainly cannot beat anybody. We're all freshman our top 6 guys once Vanderbilt gets back our top 7.

Once Vanderbilt gets going Gabriel will be our 8th and last guy off the bench. When league play starts, having 9, 10 guys in the rotation won't happen. Wynyard being 10.
SKJ will be riding pine also, Gabriel will play, but will be lucky as the 8th man.

We started out like crap I'd give this team a C-. But as of today, our growth imo we're a B.
Hopefully by March we can be a B+, Or HOPEFULLY A SOLID A.

This team can't beat everybody, we are a top 25 team no doubt. Last year's 32-6 team would handle our current team by 15. Last year we went 16-2 in conference. This year, SEC is triple better, and We're not as good as we were. I say we end up with a record similar, or a bit worse than our 2016 second round loss 9 loss team. I'm guessing 26, 27 wins.27-10. Is what our record will be, 27-10 (11-7) SEC.

HOPEFULLY, 90% returns, and we add our studs and win it all next year.

Our spacing and team play are better already. We look balanced and willing to be coached. They gonna fear us. I’m happy and have no complaints.

Am I watching the same team, I'm sorry, this team would beat last year's team handily. Last year we depended on scoring, we saw where that got us. This team would zone last year's team and make monk shoot over 7ft wing spans. Kill them on the boards. Foul out monk/fox that team is done

Cant remember a time I was less interested in a UK team. Maybe things will change when we actually start playing teams that are capable of beating us.
Dealing with that a little myself. Still watching, hoping for that moment when this team clicks. Still fun seeing improvement though. I think they’ll get it. If not, next year will have some great balance.

Reactions: _Rooster and KFuqua
If the NBA had a minor league (only for younger players), I think this UK team is kind of what that would look like. The real superstar talents would mainly be in the NBA already, but you'd be left with kids who are physically impressive, show flashes of great things, but are also kind of sloppy and unformed. People underestimate just how daunting it is for almost any college team to play against a team that has NBA size and athletic ability at every position on the floor. Even Kansas went through a period that game where they looked completely freaked out.

It is time for some real competition, though. I was pretty pleased with the Kansas game, but now the team needs to prove it can win against someone who won't be totally overwhelmed just by pure physical ability.

ADVERTISEMENT