ADVERTISEMENT

Slight Update on Big Z and Thiero

It would be great if these threads could link the entire transcript.

Then we wouldn't have goobers saying Thiero won't play and so on.

I have a link to the whole presser if ya want it. Not sure if it is on here. He didn't hardly talk about Adou...that is how conference started and he just said he will be fine- assuming in context for game tomorrow.

Cal being Cal. Him at least mentioning it, would lead me to believe he will be playing tomorrow.

Even if Z gets cleared, I really don’t see his first game being vs KU.
Not sure why. You can't teach size.

as long as he's been practicing with the team and has a potential role I don't see why he couldn't be inserted into the game at times to counter Dickerson, maybe lure him into some foul trouble.
Sounds more like a strategy to put Dickerson on the foul line to me. I’d send someone straight at him every time, International game can be rough. With no experience with college games, Z is a sitting duck for refs. Self may be a vile cheating scumbag but he’s not stupid.

Reactions: Fox2monk
It would be great if these threads could link the entire transcript.

Then we wouldn't have goobers saying Thiero won't play and so on.
Not sure about that. This day and age, there is a strict protocol on concussions. Nothing anywhere I’ve seen lists where he stands in that protocol nor is that in any way appropriate to release to the public. He could be fine, but if he hasn’t been cleared by the medical staff for competition he will not be permitted to play nor does Cal play any role in that decision. Will be fine is not the phrase you listen for. Has been cleared….thats what you want to hear.

Reactions: know1
The 2nd part is my biggest takeaway. Sounds like Cal got some bit of an update where he expects it to be really soon- the question is, if he gets cleared (for instance) at lunch time tomorrow, does Cal play him against Kansas?
Nope no practice unless he’s desperate

I will never understand why it takes so long to get anything done with the NCAA. Whether it’s eligibility clearances or program investigations, the NCAA moves slower than a glacier. They say, well there are thousands of student athletes across all sports and it takes time to go through them all to validate eligibility. Bull*#%! They literally make billions of dollars in revenue each year. If they’re really that understaffed that it takes weeks/months to go through and rubber stamp some eligibility papers, then hire some more friggin employees and pick up the pace.

All the drama is getting old.

Cal is the college kid who's always working on papers the night before the essay is due.

Reactions: jmw23712
If he is available, you play him.

We need him to block shots, rebound, get some putbacks and lobs. Those are all instinctual skills that don't require knowing plays or having much team practice experience.

Reactions: gharding07
Big Z is the only big who will play until Jan. He has been practicing with the team and should fit in. The other 2 will take 4-6 weeks on the practice floor before playing in a game after approved, JMO.

Reactions: know1
Cal being Cal. Him at least mentioning it, would lead me to believe he will be playing tomorrow.

Even if Z gets cleared, I really don’t see his first game being vs KU.
Why not? If he can play why keep him out of the Kansas game. Makes zero sense.

Maybe he doesn’t want to give to much information so that he doesn’t give Kansas any information that can be used to game plan against us….

He doesn’t owe anyone, especially the fans, anything as far as updates on injuries. We have the most entitled fanbase.

• Haha
Reactions: WeWant9
There's a part of me that doesn't want big Z to play tomorrow. I'm thinking his insertion into the lineup might be disruptive
That is probably right davekersey. At this late date, being cleared wouldn't necessarily be a good thing. With Thiero being back, that at least puts us back to where we started and everyone knows their roles. Throw in Z and everyone is trying to figure out where they fit on the fly against the #1 team in the nation. I think we're better off, for now at least, running with who is established.

Now, when Big Z has some time and a couple games under his belt, I'll take him in a New York minute! :D

Maybe he doesn’t want to give to much information so that he doesn’t give Kansas any information that can be used to game plan against us….

He doesn’t owe anyone, especially the fans, anything as far as updates on injuries. We have the most entitled fanbase.
You act like Cal is holding on to classified state secrets. It’s basketball. Kansas is already assuming Thiero plays. The cloak-and-dagger stuff is nonsense.

Reactions: docholiday51
He was speaking specifically to the question if Thiero would be available for the Kansas game.
I'm aware. I'm just pretty skeptical when he talks about this stuff. I don't even think he does it intentionally all of the time. And things can change. My confidence is just low when he talks about stuff like this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT