ADVERTISEMENT

Sheppard in practice

Jeff shep is definitely in my top 5 all time favorite cats.
I've watched every reed highlight out there (like most of our recruits)
Reed is going to be a major player here and he will be good enough to be drafted when this year ends although he gives me the feeling as someone who might be here a few years regardless of draft status as long as it isnt a top top pick .

Jeff shep is definitely in my top 5 all time favorite cats.
I've watched every reed highlight out there (like most of our recruits)
Reed is going to be a major player here and he will be good enough to be drafted when this year ends although he gives me the feeling as someone who might be here a few years regardless of draft status as long as it isnt a top top pick .
You should like this. Well done.

Will Cal play him and give him the opportunities is the other side of the equation. He’s not a projected nba pick at this stage and sadly that is what cal covets and plays to the most despite on court performance.
Cal plays the guys that can help us win. Nothing else.

The whiners were complaining last season that Brooks played over Toppin.

This season showed that Toppin wasn’t good enough to play.

Wheeler is never going to to the NBA but Cal played him.

Because he thought Wheeler gave us the best chance to win.

He was wrong. But he didn’t play him out of any NBA bullshit.

Being in SE Ky I have seen him play a few times. Great basketball IQ and court awareness.

Not all of Cals favorites are nba hopefuls as evidenced by his fascination with wheeler, BUT the point still stands. Cal plays his favorites and gives them longer leashes than he does others and that is 100% fact.

Not all of Cals favorites are nba hopefuls as evidenced by his fascination with wheeler, BUT the point still stands. Cal plays his favorites and gives them longer leashes than he does others and that is 100% fact.
As has every coach in history. Coaches play the guys who they perceive give them the best chance to win. No coach has ever treated every guy on the team the exact same. Better players get longer leashes. It’s not rocket science. That has always been a criticism of Calipari that didn’t hold up.

A bit scary, but Edwards is athletic enough to rebound over/around people. DJ is physical enough to be a good rebound guard.

Those 4 with Mitchell/Bradshaw a a shooting big could be really fun basketball
At the rnd of the day thats all I want. Some really fun basketball. Don't expect to win all of them . Would like to see us be over 500 against top 25 teams.

Reactions: AGEE11
As has every coach in history. Coaches play the guys who they perceive give them the best chance to win. No coach has ever treated every guy on the team the exact same. Better players get longer leashes. It’s not rocket science. That has always been a criticism of Calipari that didn’t hold up.
Don’t know many coaches that continue playing unproductive players who make numerous mistakes over others who are actually showing promise but come out after one mishap. That’s a cal staple. Other coaches play players who perform not just who they want to perform and give them chance after chance after chance to do so.

He looks very solid and it appears he looks to pass first, which I really like. Let's all hope his shooting is at its best when baskets are most needed. It will be fun to watch him progress and mesh into the overall team concept and vibe. His future looks very bright and promising in many ways.

Reactions: BlueWhite21

Yeah he plays the guys who can help us win... if he's not busy forgetting anyone on the bench. I hate when that happens, but other than that and him not wanting to take anyone heart he plays the guys who can help him win him ball games.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I feel like he's gong to give us a WHOLE LOT more than most expect.

Too smart and can shoot to not be on the floor.

He took teams with less talent and beat a lot of the loaded teams. Looked like the best player on the floor many times too
Yeah I think he’s gonna be really solid as long as Cal gives him the minutes he should. That shot is pretty.

Fans tend to forget that coaches see the guys everyday in practice. They also know exactly where each guy is supposed to be offensively and defensively at all times during the game.

I am not saying Cal's substitution patterns and minutes are right. But they are what he believes to be best, based on what he sees. All the "Oh, I forgot to play so-and-so", thats coach speak BS for "I did what I did".

So Reed plays if he earns it, in practice. All these kids are good players, you could put 20 people in a room with all the time and knowledge the coaching staff has about our squad ...... and still have valid debates why Player G really should be getting more minutes than Player E. Or Vice Versa. All that matters is, did it work or not TODAY.

Coaches want to win games. Everything else is 2nd. Cal has to hear the drumbeats, even if they're distant. He has a big personality. He wants to win. He'll play who he thinks gives him the best chance.

I would be fine holding him out until around December if it means we get him 100%.

That's also why I hope no one plays more than 30-32 MPG. We need a healthy, rested team come March.

We got 10-11 guys who can go. I hope Cal lets them.
I believe playing too many mins without rest breaks have contributed to 2 problems last few years. (1) injuries (2) bad shooting, esp causing not winning close games. Cal let's them take themselves out when tired. A good coach would rest his best players whether they wanted to or not to prevent over tiredness.

• Love
His movement without the ball will be as key as hitting the shots. Lot of creativity off the dribble on this team, think Sheppard and Reeves will need to be good (think they both will be) at sliding and finding wholes when eyes go to the ball.

Fans tend to forget that coaches see the guys everyday in practice. They also know exactly where each guy is supposed to be offensively and defensively at all times during the game.

I am not saying Cal's substitution patterns and minutes are right. But they are what he believes to be best, based on what he sees. All the "Oh, I forgot to play so-and-so", thats coach speak BS for "I did what I did".

So Reed plays if he earns it, in practice. All these kids are good players, you could put 20 people in a room with all the time and knowledge the coaching staff has about our squad ...... and still have valid debates why Player G really should be getting more minutes than Player E. Or Vice Versa. All that matters is, did it work or not TODAY.

Coaches want to win games. Everything else is 2nd. Cal has to hear the drumbeats, even if they're distant. He has a big personality. He wants to win. He'll play who he thinks gives him the best chance.
BJ Boston says hi.

But I understand he HAD to play because he had a heart, unlike anyone else on the team and Cal didn't want to take it (even though it was clear BJB was killing that teams chances) even if it meant we lost games.

Cal playes favorites and it's mostly to the higher ranked kids and he obviously makes promises to them during their recruitment. Prime example wasLivingston last year playing the 3 even though it was hurting the team.

He is pretty athletic like his dad was too. Me and my friend, who played D1 ball and made it to the Sweet 16 2 of his 4 years, saw him make a couple of plays that was impressive from an athletic stand point. I think his defense may be underrated as well.
Not quite the athlete his dad was, but probably a more complete skill set coming out of high school. Really excited to see him here, seeing a #15 Sheppard on the court is so cool.

Yup. He's a lot better than most think.
I think we all know he's really good, it's just that most feel Cal is going to do what he always does, which is pre-determine who plays the bulk of the minutes and who is nailed to the bench.

Cal sticks with certain players even if they are struggling. If you're a bench guy, it might be late December before you see any real playing time and Reed fits the description of the guys Cal sticks on the bench no matter how good he is. Ado was one of those guys last year.

Reed is definitely talented, he has game and he can spread the court with his shooting, but he's not a projected 1st round pick, so he's going to sit. Hopefully he comes through when called on.

Last edited:
I would be fine holding him out until around December if it means we get him 100%.

That's also why I hope no one plays more than 30-32 MPG. We need a healthy, rested team come March.

We got 10-11 guys who can go. I hope Cal lets them.
I don’t agree, respectfully.

They’re 18 and 19. Push and redline them if it means winning. Find your group and just go. I’ve never heard of a Team winning in march and April because they’re rested.

I don’t agree, respectfully.

They’re 18 and 19. Push and redline them if it means winning. Find your group and just go. I’ve never heard of a Team winning in march and April because they’re rested.
True.

But plenty have lost due to injuries, many times caused by too many minutes.

For example, Grady in ‘22.

Yes, your best need to play a lot, but you can’t run them in the ground.

Just my opinion.

Lance Ware???? Lol

A bit scary, but Edwards is athletic enough to rebound over/around people. DJ is physical enough to be a good rebound guard.

Those 4 with Mitchell/Bradshaw a a shooting big could be really fun basketball
I agree but that means Cal prob won't ever play that combination

Had one other SG on the team in IQ and Hagans nd quade green were the only other guards on the roster. If Reed is ready and can contribute would love to see that happen. Cal seems reluctant however on in state talent despite their star ranking. They get shorter leashes and thus fewer chances to prove their worth to the team. Heck just last year, while not an instate kid, Theiro was constantly making good things happen during games yet would go stretches of games without seeing a minute of meaningful action. If you’re not one of Cals chosen you have to play 2-3 times better than those in front of you. Sorry just the way cal is.
Gonna be a few on here that swear you are wrong. But you aren’t.

Reactions: cats2010

Well what do you know? Brad is back defending daddy. Lord above.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT