ADVERTISEMENT

Seth said he would have Gonzaga #1 and UK somewhere in top 5

Buck Creek Cat

Freshman
May 4, 2009
During the broadcast last night when the discussion was about who would be preseason # 1 Seth said his pick was Gonzaga with UK somewhere in the top 5 along with Duke and Kansas.

What do the Bulldogs have this year?? If they’re going to beat this Kentucky team they’d better be loaded!

Reactions: BBUK and chroix
I know I must resist the idea that we are as good as we’ve looked in these games, but what/who does Gonzaga have?

Reactions: chroix
Maybe I am in the minority, but I really don't care how we are ranked, in August. This team looks really good for this time of year, when they have only practiced 10 days, especially when a guy like Hagans should not have even started his senior year in HS. I believe that we have all the pieces to win a NC. Now whether we do or not depends on a lot of things, like injuries, brackets, Higgins, etc. However, I am not worried about a talking head, like Seth, thinking Gonzaga is better than us. I am willing to let this season play out, and just enjoy the ride, because this team is really fun to watch. We should trust Cal to get us where we need to be, come March.

As long as Cal can keep this team from getting to over confident, they have lots of pieces, that will be hard to stop, right now they are like young colts, just having a good time, as the season rolls along they may get to thinking they are unbeatable, thats my fear, we will know more after Duke game. I really like this crew!!

IMO he was trolling, no way does he believe zaga would dispose of these pro teams after 10 practices the way we did, these teams we are playing would give gonzaga all they can handle and Seth knows that, just trolling because he wants to be different IMO. As much as I've always hated Dakich, starting to like him a lil more even though he's brown nosing to extreme levels, part of me thinks he doing it based on comments he's made in the past.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I was loving Dakich telling us how Pitino would walk thru the resort with his body guards and looking down to not make eye contact with fans....while Cal talked to everyone. Was really going to throw down on Pitino but SG stopped him. That sucked.

During the broadcast last night when the discussion was about who would be preseason # 1 Seth said his pick was Gonzaga with UK somewhere in the top 5 along with Duke and Kansas.

What do the Bulldogs have this year?? If they’re going to beat this Kentucky team they’d better be loaded!
Perhaps he like us, is a little biased in his predictions.l:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The Gonzaga hype is mostly about Rui Hachimura. Some think he could be a first-team AA.

If anybody out there is better than this UK team I want to see them. Good Lord.

Rui averaged 12/5 last year while we've got PJ back who averaged 11/6.

Anyone who calls Rui a first team AA better have PJ on there too. He may be a good player but it's not like he's some monster PF that averaged 20/10 last year and is back with the sole purpose of winning a title and getting to the NBA. Wait...do we have a guy like that too?

Ranking Gonzaga #1 preseason is another example of a media member trying to think outside the box and get cute with his prediction despite the fact that it's obvious and right in front of his face. If Richards can give us 10/5/2, PJ/Reid just keep on doing what they do, plus EJ's silky smooth offensive repertoire ---> we may have the best front court in college basketball.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I really don't care how we are ranked, in August. This team looks really good for this time of year, when they have only practiced 10 days, especially when a guy like Hagans should not have even started his senior year in HS. I believe that we have all the pieces to win a NC. Now whether we do or not depends on a lot of things, like injuries, brackets, Higgins, etc. However, I am not worried about a talking head, like Seth, thinking Gonzaga is better than us. I am willing to let this season play out, and just enjoy the ride, because this team is really fun to watch. We should trust Cal to get us where we need to be, come March.
I could care less where we are ranked. All that matters is how we're ranked at the end of the season.

Reactions: westerncat
If I had to bet I'd say it will be

1. Kansas
2. Kentucky
3. Duke
4. Gonzaga
5. ???

Tennessee has an outside shot at fifth. Nevada will also be up there.

In short: it's going to be a down year in the sport IMO relative to the past two seasons. Which is good for Kentucky. I'm almost convinced the Lawson brothers are going to go crazy for Kansas at some point.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Tennessee in top 5. Horse crap!
I would bet everything I own that in March, they're not ranked in the top 5.

The Gonzaga hype is mostly about Rui Hachimura. Some think he could be a first-team AA.

If anybody out there is better than this UK team I want to see them. Good Lord.
And Killian Tillie, another solid NBA prospect returning.

That said, they still look like a classic Gonzaga team to me. Meaning good shooting, good size, not a whole lot of athleticism, especially among the wings and guards, which is usually what holds them back.

I don't see how they're all that different from a half dozen other Gonzaga teams we've seen the last 15 or so years, and I don't think they're as good on paper as they were 2 seasons ago.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Gonzaga is definitely a top-5 team going into the season.

Rui Hachimura is a raw but hyper-athletic 3/4 prospect. They also have Kylian Tillie who is a versatile post player with range out to the 3-point line. My favorite player is Zach Norvelle he was scoring close to 20/game down the stretch last season. They have Josh Perkins as a veteran PG, but the better player is probably Joel Ajayi from France.

The Zags do 2 things better than anyone else: Recruit internationally and develop transfers.

In fact I'd prefer a team that is peaking as tournament time approaches. We saw what happened in 2015 when we were hot out of the box and 38-0. Now that team is treated like a footnote. LOL

Reactions: AlbanyWildCat
I’m pretty sure Gonzaga brings everyone back from there team last year. I never buy the hype on them though. I like my team!! GO BIG BLUE!
Most of their team really due to those 2 bigs spurning the NBA. They have loads of great bigs like Hachimura ( I know I flat butchered that name) and some good guards who can shoot. They are a top 5 team but not in UK , KU or even UT's league IMO. Those are the 3 elite teams with UNC , Gonzaga rounding out the top 5. Duke is somewhere between 5-10 . Nevada and Auburn are in that top 10 as well. With how we are looking I would be shocked if we aren't #1 in the coaches poll . The AP will put KU #1 since they love hairclub for men and hate Cal for the most part.

Are we sure Seth said Gonzaga would be his #1? I remember listening to the conversation and I thought he said Gonzaga deserves a mention as a team that could have an argument for a #1 ranking. I thought the panel all agreed that UK was at the top.
If he actually did pick Gonzaga #1 he's certainly entitled to his opinion, Gonzaga is going to ge really good, but I think Nevada and UT are going to be better teams. All 3 of those teams are a notch below UK, KU and Duke. UNC*** is going to be in the conversation too. They are right in that 2nd tier.

Cats need to win some games other than exhibition before Greenburg is ready to anoint them. I understand his point. It took a while before the media bought in on the 2012 team. Zags will coast into tournament with 30 wins having not been challenged. Very few competitive games on their schedule. Cats will be wide open come February. Kansas is a much scarier team to me than Gonzaga.

About as good as what Witcha State was supposed to be last year. Had their whole team back and look what good that did....

I think is crazy when i see."I don't care about ranking in the preseason" I want to be ranked #1 year round, every year

If Seth’s life was on the line and he had to pick Gonzaga or UK to win the title I can guarantee you he would change his tune. These guys always try to pick teams that aren’t as hyped just to be different.

Are we sure Seth said Gonzaga would be his #1? I remember listening to the conversation and I thought he said Gonzaga deserves a mention as a team that could have an argument for a #1 ranking. I thought the panel all agreed that UK was at the top.
If he actually did pick Gonzaga #1 he's certainly entitled to his opinion, Gonzaga is going to ge really good, but I think Nevada and UT are going to be better teams. All 3 of those teams are a notch below UK, KU and Duke. UNC*** is going to be in the conversation too. They are right in that 2nd tier.

IMHO, on paper, the 1 seeds are:

UK (South)
KU (Midwest)
Gonzaga (West)
Duke (East)

Nevada, UVA, UNC, and Nova are your likely 2 seeds.

I think Duke is the most likely to lose the 1 seed. I could see UVA, Nova, or UNC replacing them.

I could also see UT getting a 2 seed if some of those teams struggle.

Ganzaga is usually on the lips of the media folks every season. Wondering for the past 20 years when they are actually gonna do something.

I know one thing . . . if Gonzaga is overhyped, it won't be their bracket we're put in. Too big of a chance we might expose them. We'll be in some bracket of death.
whichever bracket UK is in, THAT'S your bracket of death.

This is pure rabble rousing and should be taken down. Total misrepresentation.

Gonzaga, Duke, Kansas, UNC, Tennessee, and Nevada will all be loaded this season. It comes down to who chokes and who doesn’t in March. No more, no less. Some players will defacate down their shorts in the tournament, and some won’t. Let’s hope our guys have unstained shorts once the games really matter.

Reactions: crpoore
I’m pretty sure Gonzaga brings everyone back from there team last year. I never buy the hype on them though. I like my team!! GO BIG BLUE!

I didn't buy on the hype until they almost won the NC in 2017; well, they actually won, but it was taken away from them. Of course, they had the easiest bracket in the world. Maybe Kentucky needs a bracket of death every year; they seem to play better in those types of brackets....unlike the bracket last year.....

Reactions: kev69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT