ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Miller

Okay, so Sean Miller isn't good enough. Our short list, today, is? Give me five guys.

I'll even let you include Stevens and Donovan, but the rest of your list can't be Popovich, Kerr, and Lue, since apparently anything short of coaching an NBA title contender won't cut it and ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN and those guys could leave for UK.
Uk wouldn't be looking at 5 guys for the job, there are never going to be 5 guys at any one time that would be qualified for that seat. This ain't auburn.

For the record I had Xavier, he of all people should have known. Didn't he coach there? You can put Arizona on the list of schools besides Duke, Kansas and Louisville that make it to the dance but always choke. I'm sure there boards say the same about us though .
Why does his previous coaching at X matter?

Name me a school that hasn't choked.

Your list includes duke, KU and UL, they all have multiple titles, some are very recent.

Heck, Duke's last two titles came courtesy of chokes by UK. Those were our titles to lose.

Okay, so Sean Miller isn't good enough. Our short list, today, is? Give me five guys.

I'll even let you include Stevens and Donovan, but the rest of your list can't be Popovich, Kerr, and Lue, since apparently anything short of coaching an NBA title contender won't cut it and ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN and those guys could leave for UK.

when its time to get a coach, then it makes sense to talk about who is on the short list

UK was not on the verge of building a commanding lead. WVU was also 0 for 16 on two point shots. WVU parlayed that three point shooting into a measly 28-26 halftime lead. They then went out and shot 2 for 15 on threes in the second half. That loss is 100% on UK.
It was 16-9 in a snail-paced game where West Virginia was being completely stifled. If UK stretches that out past 10, it's a totally different game. But they didn't, because West Virginia hit three 3's in a row, then a few more to close out the half. And the 2nd half makes perfect sense in the context of West Virginia being 8/8 on 3's in the first half. UK freaked out about that, overreacted, then let Joe Mazzulla carve them up.

Deny the randomness of single-game scenarios all you want. You're wrong. Period. UK should have won that game, but had West Virginia not gone 8/8 on 3's in the first half, a totally freak occurrence, in a game where UK couldn't make any, then UK doesn't lose. West Virginia had to do something special to get UK to choke, and they did.

when its time to get a coach, then it makes sense to talk about who is on the short list

And in the meantime we can bash one of the guys who would be at the top of the list if we had to make it today? I mean, sure. But it's a cop-out to the discussion. If no one is required to name a real name until Cal is gone, then it's equally as pointless to attack coaches who "aren't good enough."

By the same token, Miller could rattle off three straight trips to the Final Four and cash in with a title in the next five years.

I don't mean to go to bat for Sean Miller here. I just think our fans are a bit ridiculous and insatiable. We've apparently reached the consensus in this thread that the only two people on earth who could be hired for the job are about to coach in the NBA playoffs with young MVP candidates on their team. [eyeroll]

I don't mean to go to bat for Sean Miller here. I just think our fans are a bit ridiculous and insatiable. We've apparently reached the consensus in this thread that the only two people on earth who could be hired for the job are about to coach in the NBA playoffs with young MVP candidates on their team. [eyeroll]

today I'm good with that

Can people please stop with the "Kenny Payne" crap. It's laughable and shows low IQ with how this will be handled. He has no shot at this job. So some of you just move around our bench wanting to fail? First it was Orlando oh how about now? Kenny Payne? No. Robic? LMAO.

Why does his previous coaching at X matter?

Name me a school that hasn't choked.

Your list includes duke, KU and UL, they all have multiple titles, some are very recent.

Heck, Duke's last two titles came courtesy of chokes by UK. Those were our titles to lose.
I just happened to quote your post cause I was on yours at the time I decided to comment,nothing personal. And it just happened to be a thread about schools that choke and so forth and all I was trying to say is Sean coached at Xavier and how ironic that's the team that puts them out. I'm sorry if I offended you but I was using your quote as a quick reply tool and keeping to the subject.

Can people please stop with the "Kenny Payne" crap. It's laughable and shows low IQ with how this will be handled. He has no shot at this job. So some of you just move around our bench wanting to fail? First it was Orlando oh how about now? Kenny Payne? No. Robic? LMAO.

But hey in 10 years when Cal leaves he might be a great candidate.

I also think it'll probably be a guy named Jeffrey Williamson. I don't know if he's a real coach, but way down the line when we're looking to replace Cal, he's as good a bet as any.

Don't call it curtains on Miller and Zona just yet.

Cal, Washington and by all accounts UCLA are turning over. There's a little window for Miller to really hawk some recruits and get a solid grip on the Pac 12 for the next few years while the others are figuring things out.

But hey in 10 years when Cal leaves he might be a great candidate.

I also think it'll probably be a guy named Jeffrey Williamson. I don't know if he's a real coach, but way down the line when we're looking to replace Cal, he's as good a bet as any.

Jeff will need more on his resume next decade.

Kenny Payne will never be UK head coach material. His personality is that of a great asssitant. Doubt he'll ever be a great coach much less to even be considered right now.

Gillispsie was no Gillispie until we hired him

Really? That's not true. He was always Gillispie, we just made a bad hire based off a couple years that he had at TA&M and didn't listen to the writing on the wall. He had already a DUI and a reputation as a "party" guy. We just ignored it because he was the hit name at the time. We should have looked at who brought in great talent and had won at a high level consistently.

There isn't any comparison betweeen the two.

Cdy9ZtKWoAA71gU.jpg

UK would dehydrate this mofo

Reactions: WeWant9
Really? That's not true. He was always Gillispie, we just made a bad hire based off a couple years that he had at TA&M and didn't listen to the writing on the wall. He had already a DUI and a reputation as a "party" guy. We just ignored it because he was the hit name at the time. We should have looked at who brought in great talent and had won at a high level consistently.

There isn't any comparison betweeen the two.

no there's not - other than neither did or has done enough to merit first run consideration at UK

Miller is a very good coach. UK fans would make him miserable if he performed at the same level he's done so far, especially following Cal

no there's not - other than neither did or has done enough to merit first run consideration at UK

Miller is a very good coach. UK fans would make him miserable if he performed at the same level he's done so far, especially following Cal

I'm not saying he's perfect and you're probably right, some fans would be all over him. My point is simply based on your criteria, who is out there that is a legitimate contender?

I don't think Sean is as good of a coach, nor as bad of a coach as most college basketball fans think. The dude recruits at a high level and is still learning on the job. He is not the finished product of a coach i feel like he could be ten years from now, but he's not that bad at the moment all things considered. With Sean as your coach, your team will have the talent to compete at a high level and have a chance once the NCAA tourney starts. I'll admit the dude has been coming up short a lil too often the last few years as coach of Arizona. It seems his teams do choke when it matters most. He will eventually get through that stage of his coaching career and eventually he will start making some final fours. The dude probably wouldn't last as Kentucky coach with those results, but at Arizona, i feel like they will give him the time needed to become the coach he can become someday in the near future.If i'm right, while it's not paying off at this moment, there will be a day it pays off and Arizona starts cashing in on this dude's recruiting every year. When you can recruit like Sean Miller, it helps. As long as his recruiting stays top notch, the dude will figure out the problem with his late game coaching and will become one of the elite coaches in college basketball.

I'm hoping Cal outlast all you guys who want to talk about his replacement all of the time when there's no reason to think he doesn't have another 10 years or more leading us. I don't get it. He's 58 and killing it here at UK. There is almost no chance we find any one even close to as perfect for this job as Cal. Plus he's great off the court and reps us the way we want to be repped.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT