ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Miller

If a coach can't bring a good D1 program to a final four, then how is he qualified to coach at UK?

that should be question #1 for looking at any future UK coach. (and I might qualify that with, *recent* final four)

People are going to have to stop with this assumption that bringing a coach to UK makes him a better coach, like when a 4 star gets recruited by Duke he suddenly becomes a 5 star.

If you're not capable of bringing a solid D1 school to the final four, then you are *not* on the short list

Reactions: IIIBradIII
I think people WAY over value Donovan. He had 4 good teams his whole time in Florida.#1 the team he took to the championship against Michigan State, he lost.
#2 The 2014 team he beast us 3 times in one year, only lost two games the whole year and flamed out in FF against eventual champion UCONN, who beat us to take home the title.
#3 caught lightning in a bottle in 2006.
#4 got EXTREMELY lucky that they ALL come back in 2007 and because they all came back Donovan was credited with back to back NC'S, And thus crowned a genius.

Did he "flame out" against the eventual champion in 2014, or just lose to them?

Are all losses "flame outs"?

He also had elite 8 finishes in 2011 and 2012. But we need to make sure we leave those out if they don't fit the narrative, right?

Reactions: kyjeff1
When coach Cal leaves here. If anyone comes on here wanting either Tony Bennett or Sean Miller as his replacement. They need to be banned from RR for a lack of basketball intelligence.

Reactions: kyjeff1
This sounds very familiar.

I actually think he's good. If that kid hits the 3 on the last possession, everyone would be saying "The next UK coach!!"
You really think beating an 11 seed to reach the elite 8 would convince people of Miller ? I highly doubt that

Is 2 a handful?

Because that's how many FF's Self has right now. He did a nice job recruiting Bruce Weber's team at Illinois, but Weber actually did a better job coaching it.

Damn he only has 2 for some reason thought he had around 4. Damn he hasnt really done jack. If he dont get to ff this yearit will be another chokehawk job.

NO. Phil needs to have the best team and players to win.
YES. Popovich can out-coach anyone if talent is equal.
missing-the-point.gif

The good news is, some of you are impossible to satisfy while on the best run in program history, so debating who should eventually replace Cal is pretty pointless, because you'll never, ever be happy.

Re: Miller, he's a very good coach who keeps losing to other very good coaches in the tournament. Pile up Duke and Kansas' flameouts over the last decade, and even the coaches you guys seem to worship often lose to "lesser" opponents.

It didn't help that it was a former assistant who knew his style and tendencies perfectly with a team that is red-hot. The tournament is so random and unpredictable, that I think it's unfair to lay all of this at Miller's feet.

Plus, there's the reality that *someone* will have to replace Cal, and while it's dandy to say Brad Stevens or some magic name that makes you feel good, that isn't going to happen, and if you look at the realistic list of options, Miller is as good as any.

I mean, Shaka Smart took a team to the Final Four, plays an exciting brand of basketball, was a young up-and-comer, and he's getting demolished at Texas. Those Final Four appearances aren't a magical metric, and winning the whole thing is really, really hard.

So for those who Miller isn't good enough for, who do you want? Remember, you have to apply the same standards to them as you do to Miller. Who fits? Name names.

Reactions: qwesley
Solid coach but being 48 that cake is baked. He is missing something obviously.

No problem. My Dad called Briscoe "Brassow" during the last game. Youre not quite a quarter of a century off yet haha!

He says everyone's name wrong though.
Remember Jules Camaro? You're not Ralph Hacker's kid are you?

The good news is, some of you are impossible to satisfy while on the best run in program history, so debating who should eventually replace Cal is pretty pointless, because you'll never, ever be happy.

Re: Miller, he's a very good coach who keeps losing to other very good coaches in the tournament. Pile up Duke and Kansas' flameouts over the last decade, and even the coaches you guys seem to worship often lose to "lesser" opponents.

It didn't help that it was a former assistant who knew his style and tendencies perfectly with a team that is red-hot. The tournament is so random and unpredictable, that I think it's unfair to lay all of this at Miller's feet.

Plus, there's the reality that *someone* will have to replace Cal, and while it's dandy to say Brad Stevens or some magic name that makes you feel good, that isn't going to happen, and if you look at the realistic list of options, Miller is as good as any.

I mean, Shaka Smart took a team to the Final Four, plays an exciting brand of basketball, was a young up-and-comer, and he's getting demolished at Texas. Those Final Four appearances aren't a magical metric, and winning the whole thing is really, really hard.

So for those who Miller isn't good enough for, who do you want? Remember, you have to apply the same standards to them as you do to Miller. Who fits? Name names.
Cal is going to be here a little longer and new coaches will be available or become known at that point , not wanting Miller doesn't mean you have to select Cals replacement today . If there's a girl that you know you don't want to marry do you have to select your future wife as a reason why you shouldn't marry that girl ? It's a poor market for coaches and I can't think of a sure fire hire at the moment , hopefully there will be someone when Cal is done but I'm still not interested in Miller as a personal preference .

Cal is going to be here a little longer and new coaches will be available or become known at that point , not wanting Miller doesn't mean you have to select Cals replacement today . If there's a girl that you know you don't want to marry do you have to select your future wife as a reason why you shouldn't marry that girl ? It's a poor market for coaches and I can't think of a sure fire hire at the moment , hopefully there will be someone when Cal is done but I'm still not interested in Miller as a personal preference .

Okay, but if we're talking "the short list" to replace Cal, it isn't as if that list can't be updated either. You can't just leave it blank.

Everyone criticizing Miller and saying he isn't one of the top few choices has to provide at least a handful of names to support that claim.

If Cal is named emperor of the universe tomorrow, we'd need a coach. You can't just say there's no one good enough so we won't hire anyone.

Your last sentence says it all. It's not he is doing this at a mid major.

What's the list?

I'm not high on Miller, but I don't see a lot of alternatives today.

You either swing for the fences (Billy D., Brad Stevens), get a solid coach who hasn't gotten over the hump (Sean Miller), or take a flyer on an unproven commodity (Mack, Archie Miller).

The hope is that some others jump to the forefront before Cal leaves. But if he left right now, what's the list?

It's very hard for me to see Sean Miller not being on it, even if that doesn't excite me.

Reactions: AFSTALLION13
They had the talent. Coach Cal has had his struggles with top-level talent, sure, but Sean Miller might take the cake.
Coach Cal has struggled with top level talent. Four final fours in 7 years and one title. I am sure many coaches and schools would like those type struggles.

Okay, but if we're talking "the short list" to replace Cal, it isn't as if that list can't be updated either. You can't just leave it blank.

Everyone criticizing Miller and saying he isn't one of the top few choices has to provide at least a handful of names to support that claim.

If Cal is named emperor of the universe tomorrow, we'd need a coach. You can't just say there's no one good enough so we won't hire anyone.
I explained why I left it blank , it's not time and candidates may emerge . I can still not want Miller without having to select from the current pool for a position not open . I haven't even put much thought into it as I try to live in the moment and usually don't participate in forecasting threads . At the moment I just know Miller wouldn't be my choice .

I think this logic is misguided at best. First, final four is not the only rationale, its a metric for elimination. Secondly, Rick Pitino left the Knicks to take over Kentucky, Calipari just came off a title game and had a team lined up of Xavier Henry, John Wall, Demarcus Cousins and Eric Bledsoe coming to Memphis - and he came to Kentucky.

I'm not saying that we can get anyone, but you can't speak in absolutes about a Billy Donovan or a Brad Stephens. They are in a good spot today, we have Cal today. The world changes. In the next 5 years there may be 2 more coaches who prove themselves that aren't on the radar now, the celtics may tank, Westbrook may leave Ok St - so at this point we can only talk in hypotheticals, and in 5 years Miller may not even be at Arizona.

Arizona had advantages all over the court, you had to be a really ignorant coach to blow this one. Feed the bigs in the paint, X had nobody to defend AZ's bigs, but Az just kept jacking threes.
Terrible coaching job and he does it every year. He was given a gift… an 11 seed missing 2 key players and he lost. There's no defending that.

I'm sure he's a good coach. He's working his way up. I never thought he was the guy for Kentucky but believe he's probably a solid coach and will see more success. He's a young guy.

What's the list?

I'm not high on Miller, but I don't see a lot of alternatives today.

You either swing for the fences (Billy D., Brad Stevens), get a solid coach who hasn't gotten over the hump (Sean Miller), or take a flyer on an unproven commodity (Mack, Archie Miller).

The hope is that some others jump to the forefront before Cal leaves. But if he left right now, what's the list?

It's very hard for me to see Sean Miller not being on it, even if that doesn't excite me.
I don't really disagree.
But, a few years from now... if he recruits at the same level and does not make a FF... hoe could he still be on the list.

If a coach can't bring a good D1 program to a final four, then how is he qualified to coach at UK?

that should be question #1 for looking at any future UK coach. (and I might qualify that with, *recent* final four)

People are going to have to stop with this assumption that bringing a coach to UK makes him a better coach, like when a 4 star gets recruited by Duke he suddenly becomes a 5 star.

If you're not capable of bringing a solid D1 school to the final four, then you are *not* on the short list

Then your list of "real" potential candidates will be pretty damn short. Guys that are a real possibility for us to get anyway.

Coach Cal is going to be here for a long time.By the time we need a new coach I'm sure there will be some different candidates.

So you're on here fairly regularly bashing Calipari, which is fine, whatever. But here you are saying that Miller is just like Calipari and that you'd love to have him when Cal leaves? If you have such a problem with Calipari, why would you want "Calipari Lite"? Doesn't make much sense to me.
It's because I like Cal overall. There's just a small percentage of things I don't like that he does. Miller is the closest thing to Cal in college outside of Coach K. I want Miller because of the way he recruits.

I know Stevens got Butler to 2 title games with 3-4 star guys but that's just not going to work at a place like UK.

WVU shot 38% in that game.
But 10/23 on 3's, with a team that, going into that game, was shooting the 3 worse than Kentucky. 8 of those in the first half, when UK was on the verge of building a commanding lead.

People never want to admit the randomness of single-game scenarios. UK certainly choked against WVa, but WVa was able to create that choke in large part because they got freakishly hot from the perimeter in the 1st half.

Reactions: Aike
But 10/23 on 3's, with a team that, going into that game, was shooting the 3 worse than Kentucky. 8 of those in the first half, when UK was on the verge of building a commanding lead.

People never want to admit the randomness of single-game scenarios. UK certainly choked against WVa, but WVa was able to create that choke in large part because they got freakishly hot from the perimeter in the 1st half.

UK was not on the verge of building a commanding lead. WVU was also 0 for 16 on two point shots. WVU parlayed that three point shooting into a measly 28-26 halftime lead. They then went out and shot 2 for 15 on threes in the second half. That loss is 100% on UK.

Okay, so Sean Miller isn't good enough. Our short list, today, is? Give me five guys.

I'll even let you include Stevens and Donovan, but the rest of your list can't be Popovich, Kerr, and Lue, since apparently anything short of coaching an NBA title contender won't cut it and ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN and those guys could leave for UK.

Reactions: Aike
Couldn't make a FF with that bracket!? Wow
For the record I had Xavier, he of all people should have known. Didn't he coach there? You can put Arizona on the list of schools besides Duke, Kansas and Louisville that make it to the dance but always choke. I'm sure there boards say the same about us though .

It's because I like Cal overall. There's just a small percentage of things I don't like that he does. Miller is the closest thing to Cal in college outside of Coach K. I want Miller because of the way he recruits.

I know Stevens got Butler to 2 title games with 3-4 star guys but that's just not going to work at a place like UK.
This post is mind boggling to me.
1) Cal, in your mind, only does a couple of things that you don't like? You trash the man in every game thread and in several threads after games are over….. After a win, don't even get me started on what you post after a loss, we all lose it sometimes, but you are on a different level.

2) You think Sean is a good replacement for Cal, a coach that you trash consistently, even though Miller hasn't accomplished half of what Cal has and has only proven that he will lose on the big stage.

3) Getting to two title games in a row won't work here? Did I read that right? I get that the method Stevens used…… at Butler, is different than Cal's method, but why does it have to be Cal's way or nothing?
Again, let me remind you, you have done nothing but trash Cal's one and done method and you cannot deny that, but now you're saying it's the only way??????????????????????????????????????????
Do I need to remind you that Brad Stevens' method is the same method that 99% of college coaches use (4 year players), he's just that much better at it? The talent BS would get at UK would be 10 times better than what he was getting at Butler, especially now that he has NBA coaching experience.
But that won't work here???

Seriously, the post I quoted above, your post, might be the most ridiculous post I have read on this board ever….. Ever. Even UMM would agree.

For you guys that want Sean Miller as coach, let me say this. You talk about how bad it is that Self lets Jackson and Vick play which I agree with you it shows how weak he is. Arizona guard Trier was busted for using performance enhancing drugs before the season, that is why he wasn't allowed to play at the start of the season. If Miller is so great why did he allow Trier to stay on the team and play ? Is this not Self principles?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT