ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Miller

Personally I'd look past his tournament shortcomings. You all love Cal. Well he's Calipari lite. Both are the very best recruiters and average coaches. I'd still love to have him when Cal leaves. If he can bring in that type of talent at Zona, which has been as bout as good as ours every year, then he would likely do even better here.

I'm pretty sure you all weren't calling him a bad coach when he was turning Xavier into a national contender. As a matter of fact, his situation reminds me so much of Cal at Memphis. Both recruited great but can't close the deal. The majority of UK fans bash both and say they'd never want them here, (for different reasons). But the truth is that if he came here and brought in the same type of classes that he has at Zona then all of you people dumping on him would be kissing his ass just like you do with Cal now.

A little different as Cal had shown at UMass he could get to a Final Four. Then did it again at Memphis. That program was dog crap at Memphis before he got there. They went 61-58 the previous four seasons before his arrival. It took him five years to become a legit contender but posted winning seasons every year. Then went to two Elite 8s, then a championship appearance and a Sweet 16 before signing with us.

None of Cal's teams were built like his Kentucky teams. He wasn't loaded with All-Americans. He usually had one stud and good players and role players surrounding them.

Two Final Fours while at a mid-major and being a shot away from a title is a whole lot better than what Sean Miller has done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cawood86 and Bryo72
And that's what people said about Pitino when he left the Knicks to coach KY...I know he coached Donovan at Providence...but Pitino was yet unproven...on what he could do at a major college program

You gotta question how long they stay with him? Another year? After that if I'm them I would go hard after Billy D.

Unless he goes to the FF next year. If not he's out IMO.

I think people WAY over value Donovan. He had 4 good teams his whole time in Florida.#1 the team he took to the championship against Michigan State, he lost.
#2 The 2014 team he beast us 3 times in one year, only lost two games the whole year and flamed out in FF against eventual champion UCONN, who beat us to take home the title.
#3 caught lightning in a bottle in 2006.
#4 got EXTREMELY lucky that they ALL come back in 2007 and because they all came back Donovan was credited with back to back NC'S, And thus crowned a genius.

After 2007 he released the lighting.

You gotta question how long they stay with him? Another year? After that if I'm them I would go hard after Billy D.

Unless he goes to the FF next year. If not he's out IMO.

No way is he out. Arizona loves him and keeps giving him raises. He's a very good coach. It's not easy to make a FF at all. He's had some pretty shitty luck too. You gotta go back and actually look at what he's done to see he's had some pretty bad luck. He's been to 4 E8s and only once has his team been the higher seed. I'd be happy to have him here after Cal. You keep knocking on the door and eventually it's going to fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: loublue22
Well we won't have to worry about it for 8 years. By then another whole group of young coaches will be in the mix.

Reactions: IIIBradIII
No way is he out. Arizona loves him and keeps giving him raises. He's a very good coach. It's not easy to make a FF at all. He's had some pretty shitty luck too. You gotta go back and actually look at what he's done to see he's had some pretty bad luck. He's been to 4 E8s and only once has his team been the higher seed. I'd be happy to have him here after Cal. You keep knocking on the door and eventually it's going to fall.
I agree with this, other than Wisconsin the tourney games he lost could've easily gone either way. He's a good coach who's had some terrible luck in the tourney. This wasn't his most talented Arizona team, not after the departures of Ray Smith and Terrance Ferguson.

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
I'm keeping it as real as I can.

Guy is 48. Recruits at a high level. Has coached to 7 Sweet Sixteens and 4 Elite Eights. Wins 75% of his games. Has a close connection to Cal.

Name me the other coaches who would be in front of Miller if Cal left in, say, 3 years.

Especially if Miller manages to get a FF by then.

If we want a pedigree coach then yes he is the guy. It's him, Kenny Payne of we stays on Cals camp, or for the third time try to pull Billy D thru that door. This all changes if cal stays 10 years and I for one hope its 20.

Reactions: Aike
A little different as Cal had shown at UMass he could get to a Final Four. Then did it again at Memphis. That program was dog crap at Memphis before he got there. They went 61-58 the previous four seasons before his arrival. It took him five years to become a legit contender but posted winning seasons every year. Then went to two Elite 8s, then a championship appearance and a Sweet 16 before signing with us.

None of Cal's teams were built like his Kentucky teams. He wasn't loaded with All-Americans. He usually had one stud and good players and role players surrounding them.

Two Final Fours while at a mid-major and being a shot away from a title is a whole lot better than what Sean Miller has done.

Looking back that shot may have saved us. If Cal wins that ship he might have stayed. He was starting to build his juggarnaut but knew if he got Jodie and Patrick with who he had he was legit day one.

No thanks on him being our next Headcoach down the road! Biggest choker going IMO. Self chokes alot but he has title and handful FF' s betwen KU and Illini. Been in 2 title games Miller cant even win his region! Whens last TIME Zona made FF, 97?
Is 2 a handful?

Because that's how many FF's Self has right now. He did a nice job recruiting Bruce Weber's team at Illinois, but Weber actually did a better job coaching it.

I always laugh my ass off when people say they want him after Cal. Dude is an average coach , period. He has tons of NBA talent year in and year out and never ever has gotten to a final 4. Weak AF.

I've been saying that on here for years but people always get upset and continue to say they want him to follow Cal here. Now, Miller has proven it once again, he just can't seem to even get to a Final Four with all the talent that has come through his door. I want no part of him and prefer to look elsewhere whenever Cal decides to hang them up. From the new extension I'm hoping we don't have to worry about that for quite awhile.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
Miller sweats profusely and clearly the moment causes him stress , nerves or whatever . His teams might play that way as well , no way he sends a confident vibe to his teams . It's not my call but I don't think a future UK job is a good fit . He's at a major program now with top talent in easy brackets with not even a F4 to show for it . He's a good recruiter but not the next great coach imo .

All that stupid ish by UK fans about Cal being a great recruiter but not as good at coaching would best describe Miller . Cal gets results , facts

Personally I'd look past his tournament shortcomings. You all love Cal. Well he's Calipari lite. Both are the very best recruiters and average coaches. I'd still love to have him when Cal leaves. If he can bring in that type of talent at Zona, which has been as bout as good as ours every year, then he would likely do even better here.

I'm pretty sure you all weren't calling him a bad coach when he was turning Xavier into a national contender. As a matter of fact, his situation reminds me so much of Cal at Memphis. Both recruited great but can't close the deal. The majority of UK fans bash both and say they'd never want them here, (for different reasons). But the truth is that if he came here and brought in the same type of classes that he has at Zona then all of you people dumping on him would be kissing his ass just like you do with Cal now.
He isn't in the same universe as Cal when it comes to coaching. And I can't help but laugh when you say you would look past his tournament shortcomings. [roll] You are absolutely brainless.

And some fans said he should follow Cal to UK,, lol.. He's the Johnny Jones of college basketball but recruits like Cal.. Dude is an awful coach..
This is exactly what I was coming to this thread to say. We should be done reading his name on the potential "Cal replacement list".

This sounds very familiar.

I actually think he's good. If that kid hits the 3 on the last possession, everyone would be saying "The next UK coach!!"
Winning and losing, after the first weekend, is usually decided by ONE shot with a minute less. Ive never seen a coach take it himself.
Dude, they got to play a depleted X team for the right to go to the E8. It's not like they just lost to UK or UNC, they got to play an 11 seed…. And lost with a boatload of size and talent.
They "Bluiett"!

Last edited:
Reactions: ok-cats-computer
It is pretty amazing how Zona has underperformed in the tournament with their talent. At this point, due to his recruiting, I still think Miller would be on the list to replace Cal. Not saying I would want him here, but the options are pretty slim at the moment. Hopefully by the time Cal hangs it up, it will be far down the road and there will be new, Young guys making a name for themselves.

And anyone saying "Brad Stevens" can just stop. People are calling him the best young basketball mind on the planet and he's coaching the Boston friggin Celtics. If he doesn't fail miserably, he's staying put for a long time.

He's on the short list for next UK coach. But that would go down a lot smoother if he can squeeze out a Final Four or two before then.

When we hired Calipari, he had 2.

BCG 0
Tubby 0
RP 1
Eddie 1
Joe B. 0
Correct, but how many of the coaches on that list had the opportunity to coach at a top program with top talent prior to becoming UK's head coach?
Sean is in a great position to win and win big at Arizona.
He is…. Was, in a golden position to get to a FF and whiffed.

Wait, you trash Calipari for breathing wrong, but you want Miller as a replacement? Holy crap. Do you just enjoy complaining about whoever UK's coach is?
We can make this easy for you and just hire Johnny Jones.

Lol Brad Miller would be interesting.

Personally I don't like Stevens because he hasn't proven one bit that he can recruit at the level needed to win here. Plus I can't see him leaving the Celtics for any college job.
Brad doesn't need to recruit top flight talent, he can win with you, your little brothers and your uncle Timmy. He's definitely proven that.
I know it's hard to believe, but Cal's way isn't the only way.
Stevens was one bank shot away from winning a title in his second straight title game appearance while coaching mid major Butler. He did such a good job the NBA wanted him. He should be numero uno on everyone's list.

Last edited:
I think he is a good coach. It is tough to win it all, as this tournament shows every year. I really thought this might be their year.

Of course it's tough to win it all, but he hasn't even sniffed "winning it all". Kinda sad when he's been at a program like Arizona for several years, comes in this year as a 2 seed and can't beat the team he used to coach, Xavier, who is a mid major and an 11 seed.
Most 2 seeds would be pretty pleased to have an 11 seed, mid-major that lost 13 games, finished 9-9 and 7th (out of 10) in their conference this year as the team in their way of an elite 8, but...

It is pretty amazing how Zona has underperformed in the tournament with their talent. At this point, due to his recruiting, I still think Miller would be on the list to replace Cal. Not saying I would want him here, but the options are pretty slim at the moment. Hopefully by the time Cal hangs it up, it will be far down the road and there will be new, Young guys making a name for themselves.

And anyone saying "Brad Stevens" can just stop. People are calling him the best young basketball mind on the planet and he's coaching the Boston friggin Celtics. If he doesn't fail miserably, he's staying put for a long time.
When you're UK, you don't remove guys like Brad from your list. He's been in the NBA for a couple years, but it's not like he's crushing it up there and who knows, maybe the NBA isn't his thing. It took a trip to the NBA to convince Pitino and Cal that the NBA wasn't for them too.

Archie is a much better coach. I'd love to see my Hoosiers hire him if the Donovan deal falls through.

So you're on here fairly regularly bashing Calipari, which is fine, whatever. But here you are saying that Miller is just like Calipari and that you'd love to have him when Cal leaves? If you have such a problem with Calipari, why would you want "Calipari Lite"? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Is 2 a handful?

Because that's how many FF's Self has right now. He did a nice job recruiting Bruce Weber's team at Illinois, but Weber actually did a better job coaching it.
Self has 2 FF's at KU, didn't he have one at Illinois? I'll look it up, thought he had 3.

People bash Gonzaga, but take a look at Sean Miller's history in the NCAA Tournament with Arizona. It's very similar and in less years.

I've been saying that on here for years but people always get upset and continue to say they want him to follow Cal here. Now, Miller has proven it once again, he just can't seem to even get to a Final Four with all the talent that has come through his door. I want no part of him and prefer to look elsewhere whenever Cal decides to hang them up. From the new extension I'm hoping we don't have to worry about that for quite awhile.

Like who? Just curious as to who you mean when you say look elsewhere. Who brings in that kind of talent and has that kind of winning percentage? He's going to get to a FF and he's going to win a title. It's just a matter of time when you can consistently build good teams. Out of curiosity, who else is on your list?

So you're on here fairly regularly bashing Calipari, which is fine, whatever. But here you are saying that Miller is just like Calipari and that you'd love to have him when Cal leaves? If you have such a problem with Calipari, why would you want "Calipari Lite"? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I thought the exact same thing!

You had 2 7 footers and the other team couldn't guard them underneath.

What do you do as a coach?

Continue to have one shoot outside and never stop to tell the other to stay on his feet on D. They pound it inside and Xavier has no hope, but they dribble around and shoot 3's and he never stops them.

Awful, awful coaching job. I thought he was a good coach, but tonight has me questioning that. Maybe it is bad luck keeping him from a Final Four after all

Arizona looked awfully rattled at the end of the game last night. X turned up the defensive pressure, and overcame an 8 point lead in the last 3 mintues and change. They collapsed on their last couple of possessions, and I have to lay just a bit of that lack of poise on Miller.

Lord knows, folks up on in the rafters had no problem blaming Cal when we looked frantic and disorganized at the end of the Wisconsin game in 2015,

If he keeps getting the talent he gets and fielding the quality of teams he does then eventually he'll kick that door down. That doesn't mean the proverbial monkey on the back isn't getting heavier and heavier for him though to finally win a Regional.

I knew there would be a thread about this as soon as AZ lost.
If Gonzaga doesn't make the FF now, doubtful they ever do.

Reactions: UKUGA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT