ADVERTISEMENT

Scottie Pippen says Zion should “shut it down” until the NBA Draft

I don’t care what Zion does. I know it brought us Wall, Davis, & others but in my opinion we should never see those guys in CBB. It’s a joke they have to go to school a year if they don’t need to. Let them go out of high school.

I really think Pippen has a point. Why risk a major injury and millions of dollars to show how you are not a sissy, as some put it. Of course, if Zion did this, I don't think any posters would call him a sissy on an empty street unless they had their running shoes on![roll]

M6siw7.gif
Never gets old

One aspect of this is ZW could have a shorter than typical shelf life. He's a heavy guy and as physical as he plays his frame takes a beating.

Superstars like him are only going to college right now because they have to.
Can you imagine Zion at 35 years old? Can you remember the fridge? Yeah I want to see that guy going up and down the court at even 30 years old. Unless he loses major weight he will not.

Of course he could always switch to football...

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
I know you have to look out for yourself but if you quit, what does that say about you as a person. That you likely are just going to quit when your NBA team is out of it. It’s amazing what has become acceptable in today’s society and this is a dude older than me spewing this garbage.

Is Zion really a good basketball player. He's just a superior athlete in college so he just goes thru and over most players. but he cant shoot 15ft or out and the NBA is all about perimeter scoring now, even bigs.

He's a poor mans Blake Griffin IMO, how'ld that work for Clippers, not good until D Jordan and Paul and others arrived and it still wasn't enough...by the time he learned to shoot outside at all they had missed their window to win big in the NBA. Some highlight dunks sure, sell a lot of merchandise & tickets great, but not a game changing NBA player that will turn a franchise around.

I've seen this show before, He cant shoot and is undersized 6-7 to live inside. Good luck with that pick. Heck, Barrett also 6-7 is the better NBA prospect on his own team.

The one thing he has going for him from a potential injury perspective is he’s built like a truck. Big strong dude. Less likely to get injured.

He tripped and fell over his feet in the McDonald's (or Jordan Classic) and dislocated his thumb. He also sat out much of the summer because a hurt foot or knee or something like that. Big Tree fall hard.

Money is everything. Hide under the table until the draft.

It is entirely a character flaw and a serious one. If what Pippen wants to happen, happens and I were an NBA team, I'd run away the opposite direction from Zion and anything associated with him... No care for anyone but self. That is dangerous. Real glad that guy never made it to UK anyway due to what he already did but if this happens, geez...

Reactions: Cindog28
Pippen's fondly recalling how he "shut it down," at a critical playoff moment, betraying his teammates, coach, city, league and generally dishonoring himself. Never had much use for him after that.

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/05/14/...d-pippen-sits-down-for-game-winning-play.html

By the way, I want Kentucky to play Duke in late March WITH Williamson. I think there is a very good chance the Cats will be the better team by then, and it'd be an epic, historic opportunity to turn a season upside down.

I think that would be pretty cool...and I hope Tre is there as well...

I remember when Scottie shut it down in a playoff game because a play wasn’t called for him...

I agree. Why should a guaranteed draft pick play college basketball and risk injury? He could hire trainers to prep him for the NBA or get paid in the G league.

I agree. Why should a guaranteed draft pick play college basketball and risk injury? He could hire trainers to prep him for the NBA or get paid in the G league.
Why even play basketball in middle school, high school or college. You could get hurt. Just wait until you are eligible for the NBA draft.

If this starts becoming a thing, that'll be the tipping point when I finally hang my hat up and quit watching.

It sounds like a good idea if you are the projected top pick. You have to be sure the scouts understand why you are doing it. Right now is the perfect time, he can say the Jones injury made him re-evaluate his situation and decide not to risk injury.

His best bet is to fake a minor injury, then show up at individual workouts before the draft and show that it wasn't anything serious. That way he doesn't have to listen to all the media outcry about betraying K, Duke, and it's fans.

If I were in his shoes and had no integrity, that's what I would do. If it's true that he already took payment (new house) for playing for Duke, then why would he care to miss the rest of the season? His scruples are questionable anyway, if the rumors are true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT