Ugonna Onyenso
| Kentucky | C | Age: 18.7

32. New York Knicks (via Detroit)

Aaron Bradshaw | Kentucky | C | Age: 19.1

36. Utah Jazz

Robert Dillingham
| Kentucky | PG | Age: 18.4

Who'll be the top college prospect in 2023-24?​

Much like the 2023 NBA draft, in which the preseason consensus meant little and Brandon Miller emerged as the top NCAA prospect, we enter the 2024 draft cycle with the door wide open for college players to set themselves apart. Our early projected top three prospects -- Holland, Buzelis and Zaccharie Risacher -- won't play college basketball next season. The next four players on the list are Isaiah Collier (USC), Justin Edwards (Kentucky), Cody Williams (Colorado) and D.J. Wagner (Kentucky), players whom NBA teams are already tracking closely, but someone further down the board could certainly emerge, much in the way Miller did.

It's going to take some time for challengers to emerge. NBA front offices are somewhat down on this class for that reason, as the quality of the class, comparatively speaking, doesn't hold up as well as what we've seen over the past few drafts. Edwards has an interesting case as a tall, shot-making wing, having held down a lofty ranking for much of his high school career, but he's not reputed as much of a playmaker, and he'll turn 20 in December, making him a year older than most of the players in the freshman class. His Kentucky teammate, Wagner, brings excellent scoring chops in the backcourt, but is still undersized for a combo and wired to score more than distribute, the type of profile that historically tends to slip a bit as teams parse through the prospects. And Williams -- the younger brother of Oklahoma City Thunderguard Jalen Williams -- will attend Colorado, where he should have a strong opportunity to make a case.

I was about to post this. Everybody thinks he is legit except UK fans. Bradshaw in 2nd round is very interesting.
It's not about "legit" ... it's an assumption that his measurables and HS ranking plus UK jersey means the potential is there.

Remember Damion Collins? Khalil Whitney? They were lottery picks entering UK, as well. Same for Chris Livingston.

I was about to post this. Everybody thinks he is legit except UK fans. Bradshaw in 2nd round is very interesting.
Not all UK fans.

Been conducting the Ugo hype train since Lance Ware started inexplicably taking his minutes last season.

Ugo is going to be a massive game changer, can’t wait to see UK actually play defense again and have fast breaks created from blocked shots like the good ole days.

Lemond better go sign that Manager before someone else does. He must be a Top 5 Lottery Pick.

I don't understand why so many doubt Ugo? John Welch mentioned him immediately and he's been around everyone you can see, so it's not like highly respected basketball guys haven't said similar things. I know he's not a Student Manager at UK or that he once looked bad against a seasoned vet at Gonzaga in his 4th or 5th CBB game as a reclassified player, but guys do actually improve/grow as players too.

Understand everyone who wants to see it proven on the court. That's 100% correct. But to crap all over a guy for 1 appearance and then a made up lie from a media member is odd.

Bradshaw is going to have to show that he has an outside shot in CBB. Still not sold on him playing the PF position. I hope he proves me wrong.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Bradshaws has a lot of skal tendencies in his game
And is equally weak. He needs to fill out a bit, and show he can still play after doing that. I am down on Bradshaw ability more than most, but even I think he’ll go in 1st.

I do think Onyenso late 1st could happen.

Damn I didn’t realize how old Edwards is! He almost 1 year (1.3) younger than my son who will be a SR in college this fall.

I was about to post this. Everybody thinks he is legit except UK fans.
I don't doubt at all that he's a legit NBA prospect with huge upside. It's yet to be seen how well he performs and contributes NOW at 18 years old in high level college ball.

And is equally weak. He needs to fill out a bit, and show he can still play after doing that. I am down on Bradshaw ability more than most, but even I think he’ll go in 1st.

I do think Onyenso late 1st could happen.

Damn I didn’t realize how old Edwards is! He almost 1 year (1.3) younger than my son who will be a SR in college this fall.
Yeah Edwards is only a year and half younger than me I think

Lemond better go sign that Manager before someone else does. He must be a Top 5 Lottery Pick.

I don't understand why so many doubt Ugo? John Welch mentioned him immediately and he's been around everyone you can see, so it's not like highly respected basketball guys haven't said similar things. I know he's not a Student Manager at UK or that he once looked bad against a seasoned vet at Gonzaga in his 4th or 5th CBB game as a reclassified player, but guys do actually improve/grow as players too.

Understand everyone who wants to see it proven on the court. That's 100% correct. But to crap all over a guy for 1 appearance and then a made up lie from a media member is odd.
Perhaps some have been a bit harsh on Ugo but not sure about the crap on bit but definitely possible. Think most, like myself, didn’t see enough in UGO last year to think he is going to be a difference maker this year. Improvement always possible like we saw years ago with Nazr Mohammed and most recently with Nick Richards. UGO seemed to have a bit to go to become a serviceable player as most any decent player scored on him very easily last year and offensively he was nothing but a hit an open dunk guy. Hope he improves leaps and bounds but feel his JR year is when any potential he has starts to come through.

Not all UK fans.

Been conducting the Ugo hype train since Lance Ware started inexplicably taking his minutes last season.

Ugo is going to be a massive game changer, can’t wait to see UK actually play defense again and have fast breaks created from blocked shots like the good ole days.
Same here. I've seen / heard a lot of people have really low expectations for him. In those early games where Oscar was out - Ugo looked better than Lance Ware ever had in 3 years here. Even though Ugo looked a little lost once they played the bigger teams - he wasn't really given an opportunity to work through the growing pains. We also need not forget in the Michigan game Hunter Dickinson drove on him and Ugo rejected him in a way few 7'1 guys ever get blocked. There's absolutely something real there - and if he puts in the work - I think he could make a huge leap and be a really valuable piece.

Not only that, but I don’t even need Welch’s opinion to know that Ugo is legit. I saw it last season with my own eyes, and anyone who didn’t, well… I have to question what games you were watching. It was OBVIOUS dude deserved WAY more clock, especially given our lack of a rim protector. He blocked shots, altered shots, rebounded well, and even displayed a nice touch. I was sold on the guy the day we signed him, and nothing he showed last year did anything to change my mind. All it did was make me madder at Cal for playing Lance Ware.

John Welch mentioned him immediately
True. Also true that John Calipari mentioned Jared Carter immediately when he got here, just before he sent him packing.

I've never bashed Ugo and tend to be closer to the he'll-be-good-to-lower-level-great-with-enough-runway crowd than most folks. Still let's keep things in perspective at least as far as what Welch's public statements plus bus fare are worth at this stage.

Reactions: ganner918
True. Also true that John Calipari mentioned Jared Carter immediately when he got here, just before he sent him packing.

I've never bashed Ugo and tend to be closer to the he'll-be-good-to-lower-level-great-with-enough-runway crowd than most folks. Still let's keep things in perspective at least as far as what Welch's public statements plus bus fare are worth at this stage.
Welch isn't Calipari. He's known/seen the guy play watching them due to following the team with his son part of the staff. He's worked with thousands of players. He has no reason to lie or provide false evaluation to hype the team. All he'd do is say something neutral like "looking forward to working with guys"-but he's repeatedly singled out Onyneso and has 0 reason to do so. He is a made man, doesn't need this job and would have one in basketball faster than Cal would if this staff was fired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT