ADVERTISEMENT

Pope Crushing, Cal Panicking

I think at this point in his career we’re going to see that he needed Kentucky more than vice versa.

And by the way, I’m not at all obsessed but I don’t think it’s that big a deal to be interested in how he’s doing.
This. He coached here 14-15 years and has only been gone a few weeks now. Not sure why people expect the fanbase not to talk about the him on here. It's going to be a while before he fades from discussion on this board.

Reactions: jrpross
To be fair , most real Kentucky fans hate Matt jones more than calipari. They hate cal because calipari blackballed KSR. Nothing to do with basketball for Matt jones.
You wouldn't know that from the huge cheer MJ got in Rupp at Pope's introduction or his radio/podcast ratings.
I think the hate is pretty confined on here by about 10 dudes.

This. He coached here 14-15 years and has only been gone a few weeks now. Not sure why people expect the fanbase not to talk about the him on here. It's going to be a while before he fades from discussion on this board.
Fair enough but threads making up the narrative that he is panicking and the nickname caliporky rolls off the tongue well, is not the same as posting about Arkansas winning or losing a game or Arkansas winning or losing a recruiting battle.

Do not care for Matt's political views. I have known him since he was tiny. My sister in law baby sat him growing up. He is a pleasant guy. He is no different than any other (local celebrity) they put their views out there as fact and not opinion. But Ryan, Jack and that crew over there are fine.

I hated Cal before hating Cal was popular. From Day 1 I said he would ruin UK mens basketball. From the first time he made the blanket statement that they play for the name on the back and not the front of the jersey I knew any of our records were not going to hold up under Cal. Moon PA moron is gone from here and I hope this is the last time I have to say anything about the guy until the week we play them.

I have moved on (since being in Rupp for Pope's presser). Now I am moving on here as well. No more from me on the guy.

The man not to be named.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua and jrm693
Whatever you need to tell yourself!

The above is 10 pages worth of posts that you have recently made in regards to Cal. It's not hard to see you're obsessed with Cal more than you are UK. Seek help!
You are obsessed with Cal. Thats the irony. I only care about KY and the non UK fans like yourself will die out. Hilarious!!!! Have the last word. It’s irrelevant to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildcat Whisky
I doubt Cal is panicking. He’s super rich and doing his thing. I’m only slightly interested in Cal, and I hope we beat his butt next year.

I like what Coach Pope is doing. Totally on board.

Reactions: Pmalone6719
We are allowed to move on. We wanted him gone. He left. He did us a favor. He didn’t hold us hostage. Let’s move forward and not look like the pathetic ex hoping the new bf commits some DV. Let’s just move on and be happy with our new model.
I'm STILL not sure that CCC left voluntarily. I think too little attention has been given to this scenario that I saw someone post about in the few hours after the stuff hit the fan about CCC going to Arkansas.
Someone posted on this board that (a) CCC was in a social setting in Arkansas with John Tyson, Chairman of the Board of Tyson Foods; (b) CCC and John Tyson engaged in a substantive conversation, including possible contract terms, about CCC leaving U.K. and going to Arkansas; (c) CCC doesn't have an agent, so he does his own negotiating; (d) CCC's contract with U.K. required him to notify Mitch and get his consent before CCC entertained any offers from any other place; (e) CCC's conversation with John Tyson therefore constituted a breach of CCC's contract with U.K. - a fact that would allow Mitch to fire CCC for cause and thereby avoid the huge buyout $$$ that U.K. would have otherwise had to pay to CCC if U.K. fired him; (f) so Mitch said to CCC, "You screwed up. I have you by the balls with a downhill drag. You can either resign, or I'll fire you. Take your pick."; (g) CCC went crawling back to John Tyson and quickly worked out a deal to come to Arkansas. END of story.

I haven't seen anybody with authority purport to say, yet, that that's not what happened. If that's what happened, then CCC didn't do us any favors ! CCC's arrogance led him to talk with a multi-billionaire in a manner that violated his contract with U.K., and he quit and went to Arkansas in lieu of being fired.

If one of you has read or heard something that negates that story, please post it so that I can dismiss it from my mind -- but I'm certain that I read something to that effect on this board a few weeks ago. But, whatever . . . .

Go 'Cats ! ! !

I'm STILL not sure that CCC left voluntarily. I think too little attention has been given to this scenario that I saw someone post about in the few hours after the stuff hit the fan about CCC going to Arkansas.
Someone posted on this board that (a) CCC was in a social setting in Arkansas with John Tyson, Chairman of the Board of Tyson Foods; (b) CCC and John Tyson engaged in a substantive conversation, including possible contract terms, about CCC leaving U.K. and going to Arkansas; (c) CCC doesn't have an agent, so he does his own negotiating; (d) CCC's contract with U.K. required him to notify Mitch and get his consent before CCC entertained any offers from any other place; (e) CCC's conversation with John Tyson therefore constituted a breach of CCC's contract with U.K. - a fact that would allow Mitch to fire CCC for cause and thereby avoid the huge buyout $$$ that U.K. would have otherwise had to pay to CCC if U.K. fired him; (f) so Mitch said to CCC, "You screwed up. I have you by the balls with a downhill drag. You can either resign, or I'll fire you. Take your pick."; (g) CCC went crawling back to John Tyson and quickly worked out a deal to come to Arkansas. END of story.

I haven't seen anybody with authority purport to say, yet, that that's not what happened. If that's what happened, then CCC didn't do us any favors ! CCC's arrogance led him to talk with a multi-billionaire in a manner that violated his contract with U.K., and he quit and went to Arkansas in lieu of being fired.

If one of you has read or heard something that negates that story, please post it so that I can dismiss it from my mind -- but I'm certain that I read something to that effect on this board a few weeks ago. But, whatever . . . .

Go 'Cats ! ! !
If you look at Calipari’s Kentucky contract, it list all the ways he could be fired with cause. Negotiations with another school without Barnharts permission was not listed. This rumor is bullshit.

Cal is not panicking, and their fans are in heaven.

This is the offseason. When Cal shines…….and then when the season starts, he turns into a giant turd, and fans are left saying “what the F happened”?

Take X’s and O’s out of the picture, I think we are putting together a better roster than Cal would have had given the high level experience of the guys we are bringing in. And once you consider Cal’s X’s and O’s deficiencies, I think our first year under Pope will be an immediate improvement.

Reactions: KFuqua
Always lying. It was trash like you desperately trying to stop this “terrible hire”. Remember the thread about calling the ADs office to stop this and begging boosters to step up like Texas A&M. You lowlifes lie about everything.
You must have me confused. My previous posts are readily available please find the post you are (wrongly) connecting me too.

And a public flogging.

I hate the fandom police. “I’m a REAL fan because I have this opinion. Other REAL fans agree.”
Agreed. There are lots of posters on here I disagree with on almost everything but to question their fandom is silly. I wanted Cal gone before it was "cool" to want him gone, but I didn't and still don't question the fandom of those that wanted to keep him. They were just afraid of change, which is just how a lot of people are. Doesn't mean they didn't love UK as much as the next person.

Can say what you want about Calipari as a coach, but even his biggest detractors should know better than to doubt him on the recruiting trail. He's been pulling rabbits out of his hat in the offseason his entire career.

Arkansas probably will land Wagner and Davis. They might also land White.

I also don't think they're out of contention for Quaintance. Probably just need to up their NIL offer and he'd be theirs. If they add a portal shooter (White?) and another interior piece, they'll be fine.

That said, I actually like the guys we're in on and ultimately think our team will fit together better. If Robinson, Mahaney, Osobor, Boyed and someone like Hawkins are our last four or five pieces, I like what we have from a "flow" level. Arkansas will have two many ball dominant players (Fland, Wagner, Davis), Knox, maybe White) and I think UK's guys will buy into their roles better.
Yeah, I think our team will ultimately pan out better than their team even if they have some great talent. Our guys are going to be mostly experienced, proven college players. That's invaluable in today's game (really any era). Cal's obsession with fitting a square into a round hole whill tank him at Arkansas.

Go 'Cats ! ! !

Just my humble guess is he underestimated the fan's displeasure with his performance the past 5 years. I believed he thought once we figured out he was talking to Arkansas the fan base would unite around him and beg him not to go and ultimately give him leverage over Mitch. In reality it backfired cause it breached his contract and the fan base was indifferent about it and most were ok with a separation. Then I think he tried to back track out of it hence the delay in everything. At that point he was caught with his hand on the cookie jar. I don't think he really wanted to end up there but it all backfired and then he had choice. Just my 2 cents.

Just my humble guess is he underestimated the fan's displeasure with his performance the past 5 years. I believed he thought once we figured out he was talking to Arkansas the fan base would unite around him and beg him not to go and ultimately give him leverage over Mitch. In reality it backfired cause it breached his contract and the fan base was indifferent about it and most were ok with a separation. Then I think he tried to back track out of it hence the delay in everything. At that point he was caught with his hand on the cookie jar. I don't think he really wanted to end up there but it all backfired and then he had choice. Just my 2 cents.
I think you are in the ballpark.

Pope's press conference must have been a pretty big eye-opener too.

I think Cal decided it would be best for Kentucky and Cal if he moved on. He knew a large segment of the fanbase was ready for him to go and I think (like all of us) was sensitive to that. The Arkansas job offered him another opportunity to do well and he took it.
I do think he's old and tired (from a coaching standpoint) and may not be there 5 years. I wish him no ill will but hope we beat the hogs by 50 every game we play them during his tenure.

I hope this season doesn't turn into a whole Cal thing every day.

He's moved on. We've moved on.

It's entirely possible he has a really good team in Arkansas next season. It's entirely possible Pope assembles a really good team here next season.

Really no need to be obsessed over what Arkansas and what Cal does lol.

I think Cal decided it would be best for Kentucky and Cal if he moved on. He knew a large segment of the fanbase was ready for him to go and I think (like all of us) was sensitive to that. The Arkansas job offered him another opportunity to do well and he took it.
I do think he's old and tired (from a coaching standpoint) and may not be there 5 years. I wish him no ill will but hope we beat the hogs by 50 every game we play them during his tenure.

Yep. That's kind of how I look at this. He did us a huge favor by not having to buy him out. He ended this relationship with UK the best possible way IMO for everyone involved. His tenure here was a mixed bag but we'll always be grateful for the title and the final fours. No ill will here either from me.

That being said from a competitive standpoint I do hope we crush them when they come to Lexington next season.

Reactions: ukfan041 and JimBR
I think it is a correct point of view to point out there are too many posts about Cal and for multiple reasons we should move on. But, that is hard at the moment. So maybe this will be one of my last posts about him (probably not).
There are teams over the years that I would want to see lose. At the top was always Duke, then the past few years add Memphis, UNC of course, and depending upon the SEC it might rotate. UL and Indiana just were so bad it didn't matter.
Now, I have to say Arkansas will rival Duke for me in wanting to see them lose. The reason for Arkansas is obvious. Yes, Cal did us a favor by leaving but he tried to damage us on his way out. He made it all about himself over the last few years at least and his unwillingness to change cost us miserably. He is trying to show that the only reason Kentucky did well was due to him. So, I want him exposed and I love how Coach Pope has come in with an entire devotion to Kentucky basketball. i want that to be successful and the guy that tried to f' us at the end to pay the consequences.
P.S. Remember that he was reaching out to Ohio State during the season.
You and I are completely on the same page when it comes to Cal being gone and knowing it was time.
But I still bear Cal no ill feelings. Yes, he did a terrible job here the last few years but he was hurting himself as well as UK and I think it was more of a case of being past his prime than anything intentional.

I'll probably root for Arkansas when they aren't playing Kentucky.

I hope Arkansas comes into Rupp undefeated next year...and then the Cats have a pig roast.

While the talent may be better on Arkansas, there is no doubt Pope is crushing Cal right now. Cal does not have a SINGLE RECRUIT that was not part of his incoming freshman class, and he lost arguably the best one. I don’t see how he ends up with more than 8 scholarship players.
sorry to advise this but yes Cal does have 2 of his in-coming freshman re-commit to Arkansas, this notion that he does not have any is non-sense, I'm not defending Cal but he has Boogie Fland and Billy Richmond

I agree 100%, UKW ... I had actually forgotten that we went through that short delay where CCC tried to back-track about going to Arkansas. Thanks for reminding me - and all of us - about that ! "Caught with his hand in the cookie jar" ... absolutely !
And it was CCC's monumental arrogance that led him to believe that "once BBN figured out he was talking to Arkansas the fan base would unite around him and beg him not to go." He got what he deserved, IMHO ! :cool:

To be fair , most real Kentucky fans hate Matt jones more than calipari. They hate cal because calipari blackballed KSR. Nothing to do with basketball for Matt jones.
don't really mean to change the subject but, I guess ima a late comer to matt jones, I've listened to him a few times. What the hate for him all about ? He seem to be a huge cat fan. What he done that makes so many in BBN hate him? When Pope was announced matt had a question during the media time at Rupp. Matt got a huge ovation and Pope told him to stand up and take a bow. Seems Pope has not seen what other have ??

Reactions: KFuqua
I agree 100%, UKW ... I had actually forgotten that we went through that short delay where CCC tried to back-track about going to Arkansas. Thanks for reminding me - and all of us - about that ! "Caught with his hand in the cookie jar" ... absolutely !
And it was CCC's monumental arrogance that led him to believe that "once BBN figured out he was talking to Arkansas the fan base would unite around him and beg him not to go." He got what he deserved, IMHO ! :cool:

I just think he anticipated he could talk his way out of it because he had done it every other time. (UCLA, Texas, and NBA jobs) and could return to UK without any consequences. But he quickly found out Mitch for once was playing with a full deck of cards. Mitch stuck his neck out for him on TV and Cal showed his appreciation by negotiating with Arkansas. He's a master salesman but unfortunately he used up all his goodwill and sales tactics and no one was buying it not Mitch or the fans. You bluff enough and it backfires eventually.

Sounds super lame if I’m being honest. The reason rivalries exist is because people don’t move on, that’s what makes sports fun.
Are you usually not being honest? Yes you should always be "being honest". Now you can stop saying that annoying phrase.

The only thing for sure is, as soon as Coach Pope loses a couple of games in a row this board will completely turn on him. If Arkansas is having any kind of success it will be a total shit show on here and you can count on that.

We have rivalries. Louisville, Indiana, North Carolina, Duke, Tennessee, Florida. Arkansas is irrelevant to me. I don’t remember Minnesota becoming a rival. I’m a little young to remember but did we become Alabamas biggest rival when Bill Curry left Alabama for Kentucky? Coaches leave all the time for other schools, doesn’t make them rivals. did you consider Texas a&m a rival in 2007? Memphis in 2009? BYU in 2024?
This...the mid-90s were an absolute blast for Kentucky vs. Arkansas. Top 5 teams, national champions, the two big bullies of the SEC. But that was 30 (!!!) freaking years ago. They have done nothing since then.

Arkansas is not a rival, just another team in the SEC.

Take X’s and O’s out of the picture, I think we are putting together a better roster than Cal would have had given the high level experience of the guys we are bringing in. And once you consider Cal’s X’s and O’s deficiencies, I think our first year under Pope will be an immediate improvement.
Right now, we are #8 in the transfer portal rankings with 4 commits. 4 spots ahead of Louisville who has eight. Arkansas, nowhere to be seen. I think we can make some significant jumps if some things come to fruition this week.

While the talent may be better on Arkansas, there is no doubt Pope is crushing Cal right now. Cal does not have a SINGLE RECRUIT that was not part of his incoming freshman class, and he lost arguably the best one. I don’t see how he ends up with more than 8 scholarship players.
Just keep thinking that and see where it gets you. Cal is livin rent free in Kentucky fans domes. Funny as hell.

If you look at Calipari’s Kentucky contract, it list all the ways he could be fired with cause. Negotiations with another school without Barnharts permission was not listed. This rumor is bullshit.
He didn't need Barnhart's permisdion but needed to tell him he was in negotations with another institution that was the cause

Long way to go in this portal battle, I do not think Cal is "panicking", he has being doing this a long time, he will get talent, wait until the rosters are set then compare. Now the coaching part of it, that is a different beast in its own. If you do not think Cal will have a solid roster when all is said and done at Arkansas, you haven't been paying attention. He is gone, I really DGAF what he does or doesn't do, as long as UK beats Arkansas, that is all that matters to me. Claiming victory half way thru the game is silly. Panicking ? LOL, I do not think he is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT