Votes: 78 37.9%
  • Parents choice with in-class or virtual learning

Votes: 103 50.0%
  • Hybrid learning for all

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Full Virtual

Votes: 18 8.7%

• Total voters
FCPS and JCPS won't be back this school until Fall. Props to Oldham County though.

It's shameful. The reality is that the surge has happened with school out and things more "shut down" than they had been.

The reality is that organized activities where people have accountability o follow the protocols is the best way to control the spread since people don't follow the protocols in social settings. WE need to have schools and restaurants and stores open. When you don't have those things, people just congregate in each other's houses without following the basic protocols that "slow" the spread.

Andy Dandy had the nerve last night to say he was "following the science" on KET... That's just a lie. The one thing almost all of the developed world agrees on is that schools need to be the LAST thing to close....

Tells you how corrupt our whole system is when we let that fear stop us from doing the smart thing you suggest here. IMO, I don't really care if some health departments cut corners. Address them when you find it happening. But get this stuff out to as many old folks and pre-existing condition people as fast as possible.
Yea, shoot me up!

Read two different things for KY: One that we 70+ can get it now & another that said after Feb. 1. Just a matter of finding it. Either way, not too long.

89 yr old friend says she's scheduled for Friday. She lives in a private home affiliated with an assisted-living home & she's able to get with the home residents.

Catholic Schools in NKy went back Monday. My grandkids in OH have never been off. Start delayed two weeks by state.

For Woodford starting January 19th:
Elementary 5 days/week no matter the incidence rate color
Middle and high school-2 days/week hybrid if Red, 5 days/week if Orange or below.

Our Superintendent has been very pro trying to have in-person school but after starting in-person in September the quarantines for staff and especially bus drivers caused a back to virtual before Thanksgiving.

For Woodford starting January 19th:
Elementary 5 days/week no matter the incidence rate color
Middle and high school-2 days/week hybrid if Red, 5 days/week if Orange or below.

Our Superintendent has been very pro trying to have in-person school but after starting in-person in September the quarantines for staff and especially bus drivers caused a back to virtual before Thanksgiving.
That seems very reasonable.

I'm not sure if the start and stop of going back to school for a week and then going back to NTI isn't worse. Either open it up full time and just deal with the fact that some teachers and staff will get COVID or announce that public schools in KY will be NTI only until Fall 2021. At least then parents can plan.

If I had kids, they'd be converting to Catholicism toot sweet.

The average age of a FCPS bus driver is probably 60+

So it's not just about "students" won't be affected, teachers need to get over it etc.

And not providing bus transportation isn't an option (sadly)

I'm not diminishing the arguments for going back to in-person instruction, but I think people sometimes forget that, a LOT of public education support staff is, well, OLD. That's not just bus drivers either. Food Service, para-educators, office workers, custodial staff. And these are folks that don't really have a way to do their jobs with distancing, and might, during the course of a school week, come into contact with a majority of the student population in that school, as well as numerous parents and volunteers.

Just pointing out some things that some folks might not have considered. And it's not really possible to run in-person instruction w/o those folks.

Last edited:
I agree. But are they younger in the other states and countries not having issues in schools?

Open windows on buses, wear masks, and limit to ONLY students that are from a single parent household. The rest can either stay virtual or get a ride.

No one saying we don't need to buckle up, and some inconveniences are going to be tough... but this is literally working for 90% of the world and a huge chunk of the US.

They are. I know only because I would see my daughter’s old St. Albert bus roll by before they closed before the holidays.

They are set to reopen next week instead of this, so I assume they will be running. They had been disinfecting the buses daily, so I guess they will resume that.

The “Matrix” for when to return to school, developed by Fayette County has also set almost impossible case requirements to reach. You can see the matrix at fcps.net/covid19. E-Mail the administration and board members. Let them know the matrix needs to be more realistic:

Board Members:
christy.morris@fayette.kyschools.us
tyler.murphy@fayette.kyschools.us
tom.jones@fayette.kyschools.us
amy.green@fayette.kyschools.us
Stephanie.Spires@fayette.kyschools.us

Superintendent marlene.helm@fayette.kyschools.us

I honestly don't care. I'm a network guy and if I do have to go to a school, I'm usually in the MDF, plus I can do 90 percent of my job from home. We're all filling in, taking support calls right now, but I won't miss trying to talk "Memaw" through setting up a mesh router (my son bought it) so that her grandson can access Steam.

I'm not sure if the start and stop of going back to school for a week and then going back to NTI isn't worse. Either open it up full time and just deal with the fact that some teachers and staff will get COVID or announce that public schools in KY will be NTI only until Fall 2021. At least then parents can plan.
This.

I do have kids (1st and 6th grade) and the system they have in place (at least for Boyle County) is a nightmare. We were supposed to go back the 4th. Then they changed it today a few weeks ago. Then they changed it to next Tuesday last week... and that’s up in the air as of now.

I work 2nd shift. My wife works 3rd. We can’t plan for anything as they keep changing things weekly. The links on these chrome books don’t work half the time. The kids are getting next to nothing out of this.

I understood in March when this hit and was new. No one was prepared. I realize there isn’t a perfect solution everyone will accept either. But what they have in place just isn’t working. I’d prefer NTI packets to what we have in place at the moment.

Just make a concrete decision and go with it. If it’s deemed too dangerous to go in person, fine. At this point I think most families just want to be able to know what’s going on long term and not week-to-week.

Teachers keep getting infected and they are not even in school. So as long as that is happening, there is not enough substitutes to keep a lot of schools open. Our district plans on having all teachers that want the vaccine to be done by February. That’s when they will go back. 85% of teachers have agreed to get vaccinated. If they refuse and get Covid, they have to use sick days. Once those are gone, they don’t get paid, which is absolutely correct.

Teachers keep getting infected and they are not even in school. So as long as that is happening, there is not enough substitutes to keep a lot of schools open. Our district plans on having all teachers that want the vaccine to be done by February. That’s when they will go back. 85% of teachers have agreed to get vaccinated. If they refuse and get Covid, they have to use sick days. Once those are gone, they don’t get paid, which is absolutely correct.

They are getting infected because they're socializing and doing a lot of things they wouldn't be doing if they had to show up for work everyday.

Bevin had the pension issue heading the right way after the years of corruption from Andy's dad. The problem was the teachers didn't like the plan and that Bevin hurt their feelings. Andy's approach has been virtually (no pun intended) non-existent.

The real reason was because devos was appointed by trump. Devos was recommended by the heritage foundation and was to implement school vouchers. Bevin and ky was the test case.

That would've ended the nea. So they mobilized the troops. Bevin didn't help matters with some uncouth statements. But it was all about self preservation by the nea.

Reactions: vhcat70
Email sent to UK staff from Capilouto.

• We also have been asked by the Commonwealth to assist in vaccinations for employees in the Fayette County Public School System. Officials with our Emergency Operations Center and UK Health Corps are working on that plan and coordinating with the school system. As that plan is more fully developed, we will communicate about it as well.

Last edited:
Email sent to UK staff from Capilouto.

• We also have been asked by the Commonwealth to assist in vaccinations for employees in the Fayette County Public School System. Officials with our Emergency Operations Center and UK Health Corps are working on that plan and coordinating with the school system. As that plan is more fully developed, we will communicate about it as well.
Thanks. Where is the ASAP part? Let’s get moving.

Fayette County number of kids leaving are actually higher than this. Of course Fayette County aren’t going to give the true number but we have someone working to get the real number and hopefully WLEX will update the story. The true number of course would be higher but there are wait lists at private schools and many people can’t afford $11,000 per year to send their kid to private school.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT