ADVERTISEMENT

Sallis to zags

I hear you nightwish. For my part, I never stopped supporting the team. The older generation (I'm including myself there at age 49) and the younger generation just aren't speaking the same language on this thing. These players see what they did as admirable and as noble. They believed they were doing a good thing and being helpful in using their platform to help people who have no voice. I don't believe the older generation wants to silence them or tell them not to speak out. They just want them to find a different way to express that besides disrespecting (as they see it) the flag, the nation, the anthem, our veterans, and our active military. I don't think these players had any of that on their minds when they were kneeling but that is what the older generation sees.

I think we shouldn't condemn the fans too harshly here. What the entire nation needs is a real dialogue. That has yet to happen. We just stand back and chuck rocks at each other from a distance. So, the issue is never resolved. It's very irritating to me as someone who wants to help promote peace and agreement between people.
I’m 57 and I totally support the players having the right to kneel to protest injustice. That’s practically their only form of discourse and it is guaranteed to them by the Constitution, which is why many wars have been fought by this country. To protect the rights of people in this country. The players are demonstrating what they believe. They aren’t hurting anybody. Unlike the insurrection of 1/6 where people were hurting and killing policeman and attempting to take over our democraticly elected officials. Go ahead, have at me.

Times, demographics and politics are changing rapidly in this country......not in our favor either. Perception is reality, and the perception of this state is currently one of redneck, right wing, Trump loving racists.
Doesn't matter whether it's true or not.....
Throw in the anger spewed by the fans over kneeling and UK is now seen as a place NOT to go.
We are becoming candy stripped warmups quicker than most of you realize.

Times, demographics and politics are changing rapidly in this country......not in our favor either. Perception is reality, and the perception of this state is currently one of redneck, right wing, Trump loving racists.
Doesn't matter whether it's true or not.....
Throw in the anger spewed by the fans over kneeling and UK is now seen as a place NOT to go.
We are becoming candy stripped warmups quicker than most of you realize.
Of course Cal and his style of play or his system have nothing to do with the players decision. 🙄

I have several family members that live in the poor areas of Detroit. I can assure you that you don’t know more about the black community than me. But honestly that’s besides the point. I’m not here to attack anyone. I was trying to give a different perspective that many people have. I’m not trading insults with you.

Wrong...

Evidently you don't. Cal is the adult. He is the one that should have chimed in and explained to these kids that he supports their concerns BUT we don't kneel for the anthem at UK PERIOD.

The kneeling issue was also exacerbated by the fact that this team sucked at basketball.

How do you know that he didn’t “chime in” but they wanted to kneel anyway?

Of course Cal and his style of play or his system have nothing to do with the players decision. 🙄
No doubt.....Cal's offense and his roster management are at play as well. Between that and the perception of our fanbase as a buncha Trump lovin racists....It is potentially a perfect storm leading to an IU level of mediocrity for years to come. I hope like hell I am completely wrong.
We can keep bashing the calls for racial equity and the kneeling that goes along with it.....but be prepared for what that means for our basketball program and future recruits. I personally don't think the vast majority of UK fans are opposed to those things, but the perception out there is that our fans are much closer to the Proud Boyz than BLM in our world view. Once that perception takes hold......good luck with recruiting for years to come.

Perhaps he DID advise the kids against kneeling, but they wanted to anyway?

Cal did not have a choice! He HAD to kneel.

He would be labeled by the world as a racist if he had not knelled!

That's so simple that even I understand it!
You don't have to do anything today to be labeled a racist nowadays. Just ask Dr. Seuss.

Reactions: BBUK
Nice in theory. I just don't know if that is feasible. Is it enough for the players, do they want more? Is it even enough for the fans? What if Cal is spending time doing some march.. or if fans still don't like his "stance"?
If he would have handles things better and the players explained themsleves better, this isn't as big of an issue. Instead, none of that happened.
It was all a mess just like the rest of the season.
You guys seem to think the players can do as they please without any pushback just because they are players and play for UK.
Someone has to be in charege and be the adult and the leader. Cal did none of that.
He took the easy cowardly way out. Instead of talking abut this and saying let's learn more and educate ourselves better before we do anything. You can excuse him and them if you want. If you jump without looking or thinking, things happen.
Politics is nasty and ugly and ruthless. They decided to get in it without thinking about all of it. Now they see and know. Or they should.
Cal certainly should have known.

And it's obviously unacceptable to you for players to kneel.

I for one actually understand why people would be upset over the kneeling. But, I know that when that anthem plays, it means different things to all sorts of people. I would never kneel. I always stand for the anthem because of what it means to me. But what it means to me, may not be true to the person next to me. And it's a great thing that we live in a country where you can protest freely whenever you want.

You want to prohibit kneeling during the anthem? Then you might as well throw the constitution in the garbage.
I'm saying, if you're going to do that, don't play the victim when people push back and aren't happy about it. Only the players feelings matter? Why? Because they play for UK?
These young men are not bad people. I don't believe that. I was young. YOu see things differently. However, actions have consequences. That's how things work. You go that route, you touch a nerve that is raw with a lot of people. Why folks don't understand that is amazing to me.
I'm not saying it can be banned. Freedom is freedom. They are free to do it and people are free to be upset with it and tell them.
Just don't portray the folks upset with it as the bad guys and racists.

It didn’t surprise me that he picked Gonzaga. They have a hell of a coach and are the top team in the country right now. I’m fine with missing out on some of these prospects if it means we start recruiting with a traditional approach. Cal could mix in his old recruiting approach with what he has done at Kentucky and be successful in my opinion.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I’m 57 and I totally support the players having the right to kneel to protest injustice. That’s practically their only form of discourse and it is guaranteed to them by the Constitution, which is why many wars have been fought by this country. To protect the rights of people in this country. The players are demonstrating what they believe. They aren’t hurting anybody. Unlike the insurrection of 1/6 where people were hurting and killing policeman and attempting to take over our democraticly elected officials. Go ahead, have at me.
Nothing on the months of riots, burnings, and lootings that happened in cities all across the US. Or that factions of those groups took over blocks of US cities and set up their own governments?
If you don't have an issue with any of that. Shut up and sit down.

Nothing on the months of riots, burnings, and lootings that happened in cities all across the US. Or that factions of those groups took over blocks of US cities and set up their own governments?
If you don't have an issue with any of that. Shut up and sit down.
But, what about, what about? 🙄

It’s obvious only the UK basketball fans are racist, the football fans are not. Stoops doesn’t seem to be having any issues - strong roster management from top to bottom, outstanding player development, guys wanting to transfer here. If you racist basketball only fans would go away, Cal wouldn’t have any problems.

But, what about, what about? 🙄
lol @ "whataboutism", it's the leftist equivalent of a 6 year old sticking his fingers in his ears saying, "lalalalala, I can't hear you". Hypocrisy, thy name is progressivism.

Perhaps he DID advise the kids against kneeling, but they wanted to anyway?

Cal did not have a choice! He HAD to kneel.

He would be labeled by the world as a racist if he had not knelled!

That's so simple that even I understand it!
That’s the worst part of it all, agree with everything we say or do or you are a racist! It labels people who aren’t apart of real racism and enables real racists to hide amongst those who “believe.”

Stupid liberals label the the Proud Boys as extremists while BLM is a worthy organization & Antifa is an idea. Citizens who are not brainwashed by the fake news media or worship their almighty Democratic party masters know that the Proud Boys are patriots, while BLM, Antifa, & the Marxist Democratic Party are domestic terrorists.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT