ADVERTISEMENT

Sallis to zags

I don't think its about supporting the biggest thing....it probably has more to do with the fact that every movement that has anything to do with the African American community immediately triggers our fan base. Considering the region.....the history of the school.....and many other things it doesn't look good when protesting inequality immediately sets off the fanbase.
So what about black conservatives that don't agree with BLM?

If our coach had any humility he would have advised his kids against kneeling. He sure as heck wouldn't have kneeled with them if he didn't have a mega ego. Nobody cares about your politics until you make it an issue. It's Cal's fault that these kids got roasted online and if we lost a recruit because of it, it's on him not fans.

College kids kneeling pretty much anywhere other than the leftist bastions of the country would get the same treatment. It is divisive everywhere not just Kentucky.
Perhaps he DID advise the kids against kneeling, but they wanted to anyway?

Cal did not have a choice! He HAD to kneel.

He would be labeled by the world as a racist if he had not knelled!

That's so simple that even I understand it!

Wheres what?....... I don't think you're saying that inequality doesn't exist because no one is ignorant enough to believe that but I'm trying to understand what the question is.
you said they are protesting inequality and i am asking you where it is at. Are you referring to “systemic racism” ?

I have posted this before. If Cal were to go by what you feel is right then his ability to recruit would be over. Let's face it, the game's major stars typically come from poor neighborhood black communities where basketball was a game of life from early on. There is belief (whether you agree or not in their belief) of social injustice in our country. So, having a slant that makes potential student/atheletes feel comfortable and a program that they can relate to is smart.

Reactions: RunninRichie
yep...but their views are unacceptable unless they agree with the kneeling
And it's obviously unacceptable to you for players to kneel.

I for one actually understand why people would be upset over the kneeling. But, I know that when that anthem plays, it means different things to all sorts of people. I would never kneel. I always stand for the anthem because of what it means to me. But what it means to me, may not be true to the person next to me. And it's a great thing that we live in a country where you can protest freely whenever you want.

You want to prohibit kneeling during the anthem? Then you might as well throw the constitution in the garbage.

So what about black conservatives that don't agree with BLM?
I would say the smallest % of the black community are the black conservatives who also don't believe that black lives matter and that doesn't consistently line up with the values of the majority of African Americans. There are people who always deviate from common knowledge. You have to decide whether the majority is right or wrong. Do black lives matter? How you answer that question probably says a lot about you. Unfortunately most recruits know a large part of this fan base doesn't really care about their values or what they believe in because they'll refuse to even listen due to their political beliefs. Race relations shouldn't even be political but it is so now most of you have picked sides and you've also allowed liberals to weaponize it against you.

I would say the smallest % of the black community are the black conservatives who also don't believe that black lives matter and that doesn't consistently line up with the values of the majority of African Americans. There are people who always deviate from common knowledge. You have to decide whether the majority is right or wrong. Do black lives matter? How you answer that question probably says a lot about you. Unfortunately most recruits know a large part of this fan base doesn't really care about their values or what they believe in because they'll refuse to even listen due to their political beliefs. Race relations shouldn't even be political but it is so now most of you have picked sides and you've also allowed liberals to weaponize it against you.
UK media is saying it played a role in sallis’ recruitment.
Yes of course. That among many other things.

If our coach had any humility he would have advised his kids against kneeling. He sure as heck wouldn't have kneeled with them if he didn't have a mega ego. Nobody cares about your politics until you make it an issue. It's Cal's fault that these kids got roasted online and if we lost a recruit because of it, it's on him not fans.

College kids kneeling pretty much anywhere other than the leftist bastions of the country would get the same treatment. It is divisive everywhere not just Kentucky.

THIS^^

It's all on Cal. Every mistake from last season is squarely on his shoulders. His ego did not allow him to realize kneeling would be a problem in this state. We rarely get a chance to know these players, and rarely get to embrace them like the past because they are gone after one season. However it's ok to kneel during the anthem and question if Rupp was a racist, when none of them had a clue who Rupp was one year before they committed to UK?

Represent your school and your state. Kneel after the game if you want, but be educated about the topic, and not indocrinated about it.

Yes of course. That among many other things.
Modern day poverty is not a racial issue in and of itself, the family structure is the biggest driver. The left does not recognize this as the reason for the downward progression of black, and to a lesser extent, white American culture since the 60's because they've helped contribute to it in many ways. And the black liberal grievance lobby and white ideological academics/media will never attack the truth because it's a lose lose for them. Dependence is the only thing keeping low wage earners and inner city communities voting liberal. They absolutely have no intentions of solving these problems. So they invent anecdotal stories and push false narratives (hands up don't shoot) because they've got to create a false picture for the public. This systemic racism garbage is an excuse and a red herring. The data clearly shows where the problems are coming from in both black and white communities. Fatherless homes, and broken families, and those ideals have been the foundation of the right for decades.

UK has basically had five black starters since I can remember. This is some ridiculous chatter with zero basis or truth.
I'm afraid "Racism" has become the automatic simple minded and lazy response for everything for those who are incapable or unwilling to put any thought into the real reasons and discussion on why things occur. Its an emotional response not intellectual one and that explains a lot of it. Hard to reason with those folks. You just have to shake your head and walk away.

Last edited:
I see what you did there, not sure if it was intentional or subconscious. Of course they believe that black lives matter, they just don't believe in the radical marxist organization that only believes that black lives that were killed by white cops matter. BLM, the organization doesn't protest in the inner cities of Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, etc. when dozens of innocent black lives are murdered, (often young children) by other black people. BLM, the organization doesn't protest Planned Parenthood, an organization that was specifically created to eliminate black people from the face of the earth and sets up shop predominantly in black neighborhoods and murders hundreds of thousands of innocent pre-born black babies every year. So black conservatives simply believe that All Black Lives Matter, not just those that fit a political agenda. So my question to you is.....do ALL Black Lives Matter?

I'd bet that venn diagram of people mad at kneeling and are racist is damn near a perfect circle.
Ok....now explain why those same people also find it disrespectful if you are talking during the anthem or do not remove your hat? Is that race too?

If you want you message to be heard, don't do it with a divisive platform. You can attempt to say the intent isnt disrespect and maybe that is true. But if you're doing it during a ceremony that is meant to honor the flag, men and women who have fought under it, and the country that protects your right to protest or disagree w leaders without being jailed or executed for it; then it is going to be perceived as a protest against the country and not the issue you're attempting to address.

I can agree with their right to protest and at the same time disagree with the method they've chosen because the conversation will never be about the intended target if you continue to attempt to tell people how they are supposed to feel and perceive the flag and what it represents TO THEM. The conversation always comes back to "disrespect during the anthem" and not "police reform etc".

Another fun fact, calling someone racist because they disagree with you is also divisive and immediately pits people against each other and creates a defensive environment. Non-racist people don't enjoy being labeled as something they are not in an attempt to make them conform or silence them. Once again making the conversation about something other than the intent.

Perhaps he DID advise the kids against kneeling, but they wanted to anyway?

Cal did not have a choice! He HAD to kneel.

He would be labeled by the world as a racist if he had not knelled!

That's so simple that even I understand it!
Evidently you don't. Cal is the adult. He is the one that should have chimed in and explained to these kids that he supports their concerns BUT we don't kneel for the anthem at UK PERIOD.

The kneeling issue was also exacerbated by the fact that this team sucked at basketball.

I'm not sure why this is news....this has been known for weeks.
Because known isn’t truly known until it comes from the horses mouths. Always a chance of like a Kevin Knox type thing, I don’t mean in our favor just a general surprise commitment.

It's very simple. I am the coach. You are the player. I will support you in your efforts on equality and justice. I will meet with you and help you to meet with others. I will march with you for those things. I will speak out on your behalf if you want me to, for those things. I will let you speak out for those things.
I will not disrespect the very symbol of freedom and those that gave everything for it. We will not do that as long as I am coach here.

Nice in theory. I just don't know if that is feasible. Is it enough for the players, do they want more? Is it even enough for the fans? What if Cal is spending time doing some march.. or if fans still don't like his "stance"?

Modern day poverty is not a racial issue in and of itself, the family structure is the biggest driver. The left does not recognize this as the reason for the downward progression of black, and to a lesser extent, white American culture since the 60's because they've helped contribute to it in many ways. And the black liberal grievance lobby and white ideological academics/media will never attack the truth because it's a lose lose for them. Dependence is the only thing keeping low wage earners and inner city communities voting liberal. They absolutely have no intentions of solving these problems. So they invent anecdotal stories and push false narratives (hands up don't shoot) because they've got to create a false picture for the public. This systemic racism garbage is an excuse and a red herring. The data clearly shows where the problems are coming from in both black and white communities. Fatherless homes, and broken families, and those ideals have been the foundation of the right for decades.
I'm not going to talk about your political beliefs and who you believe is at the root of this issue. You both point fingers at each other and you both are part of the problem. Are the actions that were made by liberal lawmakers where they divided up land and created government project housing and segregated the country right after the civil rights movement part of the problem? Yes. The problem is conservatives allowed liberals to weaponize racism against them because you will disagree with anything a liberal believes in simply based on principle. Now you blindly disagree with anything related to race because conservatives aren't smart enough to realize that you don't have to call anything related to systemic racism bullshit just because a liberal believes in it. Its clownery and you both are ****ing up America and allowing actual racists to rise to power because you hate eachother so much.

I see what you did there, not sure if it was intentional or subconscious. Of course they believe that black lives matter, they just don't believe in the radical marxist organization that only believes that black lives that were killed by white cops matter. BLM, the organization doesn't protest in the inner cities of Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, etc. when dozens of innocent black lives are murdered, (often young children) by other black people. BLM, the organization doesn't protest Planned Parenthood, an organization that was specifically created to eliminate black people from the face of the earth and sets up shop predominantly in black neighborhoods and murders hundreds of thousands of innocent pre-born black babies every year. So black conservatives simply believe that All Black Lives Matter, not just those that fit a political agenda. So my question to you is.....do ALL Black Lives Matter?
Yes of course all black lives matter. The problem is you believe anyone who supports the fact that black lives matter also support the organization Black Lives Matter.

I'm not going to talk about your political beliefs and who you believe is at the root of this issue. You both point fingers at each other and you both are part of the problem. Are the actions that were made by liberal lawmakers where they divided up land and created government project housing and segregated the country right after the civil rights movement part of the problem? Yes. The problem is conservatives allowed liberals to weaponize racism against them because you will disagree with anything a liberal believes in simply based on principle. Now you blindly disagree with anything related to race because conservatives aren't smart enough to realize that you don't have to call anything related to systemic racism bullshit just because a liberal believes in it. Its clownery and you both are ****ing up America and allowing actual racists to rise to power because you hate eachother so much.
i really don’t care about either sides, it’s all BS to me. We all go in the same place when we die.

This brings up the great question - did they intentionally decide to do this away from Rupp to avoid the massive barrage of boos that likely happen?
Of course they did. I mean look at our fan base. Do you expect them to sympathize with any of those players and what they believe in?

Let him go play Pacific and San Diego with 8k fans in attendance...

Plus he can’t shoot and wears his hair long...
Hard Pass

i really don’t care about either sides, it’s all BS to me. We all go in the same place when we die.
I agree but we can't talk about race anymore without a liberal calling a conservative racist and a conservative saying racism isn't real its a liberal hoax. Its shitty and its the reason the majority of this fan base is so divided on the kneeling issue because instead of listening to the message they've created a belief that kneeling is somehow disrespectful now which was never the case for civilians until it actually happened. The military is required to stand. Not the other way around.

Dumbest question I ever heard asked. Instead of asking white people if Black Lives Matter. Go ask black people in the south side of Chicago. Blacks are killing blacks. Evidently they dont believe Black Lives Matter.

Probably didn’t help that the rednecks were burning shirts for the players kneeling. This will eventually catch up to UK. And there are many on this board who felt the same way about the kneeling.
This has been an awful year for UK fan reactions. It's understandable to some degree, given the fact that it was such a terrible season. I do agree that some of the strongest reactions were to the players kneeling. I hated the kneeling, too, by the way. I just don't see any use in making an a** of yourself on social media attacking the players for kneeling. It doesn't help anything. I see it in a similar light as kneeling. It doesn't accomplish the intended purpose. There is no question, there are many recruits who will see that and decide not to come here. I'm sure the fans who burned jerseys would say "good riddance" but how many recruits are left who take no offense to that? Being honest here, I would guess since the vast majority of the top recruits are people of color every year, you can write it down that most of them would be offended by that. If we eliminated every kid who would be willing to kneel, how many would be left? It is in the culture of these kids now and seems unavoidable to me. That's one reason I haven't made a huge deal of the kneeling. I don't think these kids see it the same way I do, not even close.

Reactions: RunninRichie
You have to go out of your way and misconstrue the players intentions to be offended by kneeling. The people doing this have an agenda to push their own message and used that event as a way to do spread their own form of political propaganda.

You’re just kind of a dick if you can’t say “yeah, I see you players, racism isn’t cool.”

That’s all it takes. Instead we have redneck sheriffs burning jerseys and moronic fans waging war on Kentucky basketball, pulling everyone down with them.

I think about European soccer where clubs represent more than teams. They represent a community and a culture. You have your snobby teams, your blue collar teams and yes, even your clubs with racist tendencies.

And this is quickly becoming a program that is hard to identify with. If burning jerseys to protest players protesting racism is what Kentucky basketball is about then we have problems. On a personal level, these are certainly people I don’t identify with. And if this is the future of Kentucky basketball, it’s a dark future.

This has been an awful year for UK fan reactions. It's understandable to some degree, given the fact that it was such a terrible season. I do agree that some of the strongest reactions were to the players kneeling. I hated the kneeling, too, by the way. I just don't see any use in making an a** of yourself on social media attacking the players for kneeling. It doesn't help anything. I see it in a similar light as kneeling. It doesn't accomplish the intended purpose. There is no question, there are many recruits who will see that and decide not to come here. I'm sure the fans who burned jerseys would say "good riddance" but how many recruits are left who take no offense to that? Being honest here, I would guess since the vast majority of the top recruits are people of color every year, you can write it down that most of them would be offended by that. If we eliminated every kid who would be willing to kneel, how many would be left? It is in the culture of these kids now and seems unavoidable to me. That's one reason I haven't made a huge deal of the kneeling. I don't think these kids see it the same way I do, not even close.
you should probably lock her up, IL.

Dumbest question I ever heard asked. Instead of asking white people if Black Lives Matter. Go ask black people in the south side of Chicago. Blacks are killing blacks. Evidently they dont believe Black Lives Matter.
Come on bro.....so black lives don't matter because a group of people aren't displaying love for one another? Be better than this bro. The people in south side Chicago aren't the only people who are allowed to feel this way.

#1 grown adults should NEVER be interacting with teenagers on social media. That is just dumb. I have my issues with Cal, but I never bash the kids. In fact I blamed Cal for the kneeling.

I dont have a twitter or do podcast , but this Tucker guy seems to trolling for hits

Come on bro.....so black lives don't matter because a group of people aren't displaying love for one another? Be better than this bro. The people in south side Chicago aren't the only people who are allowed to feel this way.
Again you are insinuating something I did not say. Why do you people keep doing that. What I am saying is more black lives are taken by other black people, so why focus on asking white people-if they believe Black Lives Matter? It just proves an agenda. There is no real interest in solving the real issue

but remember.. only one coach can handle 1AD recruiting.

I can't wait to see how Gonzaga fares at this. Current players won't be happy with freshman coming in over them. And it's still extremely difficult to coach HS players in just one year, no matter if you're Few or Cal.

Gonzaga better keep this recruiting up into next year.. I see a big roster turnover come April 2022.
Heck they are front runners for incoming recruit Chet H. and Kessler as a transfer. Unless some guys besides Suggs go pro it could be a log jam or Gonzaga platooning.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Already shared my passionate take on this in other thread, but to summarize here in a topic related manner:

-Sallis was lost long before kneeling "hot topic" took place.

-Same AC who is always coming up short lost another one. Insert excuse, but hey-things are looking great for '22, '23, '24, etc......until they fall apart.

-When recruit is lost, find excuse, rinse, repeat

OT but if Cal were to go to Texas, Justus/Barbee going with him? We know Jai Lucas would, Robic too, unless he just wanted to retire, but is he taking those vital assets with him to Austin?

I linked a discussion from Zags insiders about how Cal's tweets following the Fletcher incident caused backlash with a couple recruits, particularly Sallis. It wasn't just the fans.

A “small” portion of the fan base doesn’t accept it. And unfortunately that small group sheds a bad light to these recruits. It’s a shame that this kneeling bothers you that much.
It's a shame that the kneeling doesn't bother you. But hey, let's just sit back and watch our country go to hell while we open our borders to people we know nothing about. But hey, 9/11 can't happen again, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT