ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp Rafters NBA Legends GM Draft Round 10 Aike OTC

Love this pick. Shaq would dominate any era of basketball.

Unless they call traveling or offensive fouls.

I love Shaq. I'm a Lakers fan, and him joining the team at the same time Kentucky was fielding the best college team of the modern era felt like my sports fanhood was just going to be blessed forever.

But when we're parsing greatness, Shaq has some extreme limitations that make his overwhelming strengths a bit more questionable in certain periods of history. He also didn't always *want* to dominate or rebound or block shots.

Again, he's great. But nearly all of the greatest would perform well across eras. Shaq might be most comfortable right where he is.

I love Shaq. I'm a Lakers fan, and him joining the team at the same time Kentucky was fielding the best college team of the modern era felt like my sports fanhood was just going to be blessed forever.

But when we're parsing greatness, Shaq has some extreme limitations that make his overwhelming strengths a bit more questionable in certain periods of history. He also didn't always *want* to dominate or rebound or block shots.

Again, he's great. But nearly all of the greatest would perform well across eras. Shaq might be most comfortable right where he is.
Well, traveling is more prevalent today than ever, so I think he’d be fine there. While today’s game doesn’t cater so much to bigs that only have post games, Shaq would be no less handicapped than Kareem would. Both he and Kareem, however, would dominate in every era.

Reactions: DraftCat

Maybe he didnt *want* to dominate all the time, but his 24 ppg and 11 rpg career averages prove that he *wanted* to dominate MOST of the time lol. I mean the guy averaged close to 30 ppg on multiple occasions. We all know he cant shoot, so the majority of his points came from bullying guys near the basket. Your modern day top scorers will get close to half their points from three pointers and free throws....Shaq did his work without those. Just think if he could shoot...oh my word

Well, traveling it more prevalent today than ever, so I think he’d be fine there. While today’s game doesn’t cater so much to bigs that only have post games, Shaq would be no less handicapped than Kareem would. Both he and Kareem, however, would dominate in every era.

I should have made that point better. The things Shaq was able to do would be called travels in eras prior to his, not the current one.

He loved that first big stride when facing up without putting the ball on the floor first, and he was a master of spinning, sliding his feet without dribbling to seal a defender, pump faking, and shuffling his feet to square up with the rim for a dunk. Not to mention his favorite move, which was just mauling every human being smaller than him until he was within four feet of the rim.

Now, he may not have had to do any of that back then because he's just so much bigger and quicker than other players, but he had a very specific, narrow style. There was no versatility to Shaq. He was a hammer and the job was going to be done with a hammer even if it needed a wrench. Granted, it was Thor's hammer.

Maybe he didnt *want* to dominate all the time, but his 24 ppg and 11 rpg career averages prove that he *wanted* to dominate MOST of the time lol. I mean the guy averaged close to 30 ppg on multiple occasions. We all know he cant shoot, so the majority of his points came from bullying guys near the basket. Your modern day top scorers will get close to half their points from three pointers and free throws....Shaq did his work without those. Just think if he could shoot...oh my word

Right, he was a force. My point was just that his method of being a force might not have always been allowed.

I can relate though. My guy had an entire part of the game removed to try and slow him down.

I should have made that point better. The things Shaq was able to do would be called travels in eras prior to his, not the current one.

He loved that first big stride when facing up without putting the ball on the floor first, and he was a master of spinning, sliding his feet without dribbling to seal a defender, pump faking, and shuffling his feet to square up with the rim for a dunk. Not to mention his favorite move, which was just mauling every human being smaller than him until he was within four feet of the rim.

Now, he may not have had to do any of that back then because he's just so much bigger and quicker than other players, but he had a very specific, narrow style. There was no versatility to Shaq. He was a hammer and the job was going to be done with a hammer even if it needed a wrench. Granted, it was Thor's hammer.

I'm confident in the Shaq pick as of some said he fits any era. Gonzo sometimes its the simple moves that wins you games we are both Lakers fans so I know you followed his career as much as I did. Just say great pick and move on :)

I'm confident in the Shaq pick as of some said he fits any era. Gonzo sometimes its the simple moves that wins you games we are both Lakers fans so I know you followed his career as much as I did. Just say great pick and move on :)

It is a great pick. They're all great picks so far.

But the *greatest* pick? In *any* era? We've got to differentiate these guys somehow or it's going to be a 14-way tie. I'm only saying Shaq's game would translate less to other eras, rules, etc. than some of the other all-time greats.

I understand. You arent wrong. I guess I just dont see guys in the 70s and 80s being able to contain him. Making his weaknesses that you brought up irrelevant. There were a handful of guys in Shaqs career that could atleast find some success containing him......I think there would be even less way back when.

But the *greatest* pick? In *any* era? We've got to differentiate these guys somehow or it's going to be a 14-way tie. I'm only saying Shaq's game would translate less to other eras, rules, etc. than some of the other all-time greats.
I’m with you on that. However, right now there isn’t a lot to debate, imo. All the picks have fit their spot. The unraveling for teams will slowly begin to happen.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
I understand. You arent wrong. I guess I just dont see guys in the 70s and 80s being able to contain him. Making his weaknesses that you brought up irrelevant. There were a handful of guys in Shaqs career that could atleast find some success containing him......I think there would be even less way back when.

That's true.

It'll be interesting when we start debating the teams and matchups, because we have these ideas of the players for their general careers. But how will they fare against each other? Bill Russell isn't playing against shoe salesmen that smoke cigarettes at halftime anymore. There's no Todd McCullough standing between Shaq and the rim.

Individual performances against the other greats of the era will be big.

Gonzo I respect your opinion. But I think players make the eras revolve around them. Put Shaq in ANY ERA and tell me they won't need to gameplan to stop him from a 30/15 stat line. In regards to traveling are we really trying to assume that Shaq is so dumb that he wouldn't of learned what is and what isn't a travel in the early stages of the NBA? Shaq is pretty much Wilt Chamberline but proven against better players

Gonzo I respect your opinion. But I think players make the eras revolve around them. Put Shaq in ANY ERA and tell me they won't need to gameplan to stop him from a 30/15 stat line. In regards to traveling are we really trying to assume that Shaq is so dumb that he wouldn't of learned what is and what isn't a travel in the early stages of the NBA? Shaq is pretty much Wilt Chamberline but proven against better players

I agree with that, but it goes back to what I said earlier about Kareem. There's a difference in being able to do something but just not doing so and actually not being able to do so.

I think Shaq's skillset was far more narrow than some of the other greats. His one particular focus was incredibly dominant. Maybe he was so physically imposing that nothing else would have mattered.

He's top 10-15 all time, I'm just arguing for why it's closer to 15 than 1. This is all going to seem absurd because we're debating legends. The flaws are relative.

Plus, I've had about enough of this back-patting and congratulating. Let's rumble.

Michael Jordan asked to be taken out of this draft because he knew Kareem was better and he couldn't stand to actually lose in the finals for once.

Reactions: drcats2013
I agree with that, but it goes back to what I said earlier about Kareem. There's a difference in being able to do something but just not doing so and actually not being able to do so.

I think Shaq's skillset was far more narrow than some of the other greats. His one particular focus was incredibly dominant. Maybe he was so physically imposing that nothing else would have mattered.

He's top 10-15 all time, I'm just arguing for why it's closer to 15 than 1. This is all going to seem absurd because we're debating legends. The flaws are relative.

When you are that physically imposing you don't need multiple moves. I'm assuming we are all drafting these players as in their "prime" and prime Shaq is top 3. Go to the numbers and check those playoff final #'s 30 and 15.

Plus, I've had about enough of this back-patting and congratulating. Let's rumble.

Michael Jordan asked to be taken out of this draft because he knew Kareem was better and he couldn't stand to actually lose in the finals for once.
You’re right. I’ve been soft. Time to get nasty. Kareem sucks. He’s the all time leading scorer because everyone felt sorry for him and let him score.

Two great picks there. And two of my favorite all-time players. I'd love watching those two play together in their prime. The only difficulty is that they are both best suited as PFs. I don't know how you slide one to SF or C to get them both on the floor at the same time. At least not without sacrificing quite a bit on defense.

Reactions: Aike and DraftCat
Two great picks there. And two of my favorite all-time players. I'd love watching those two play together in their prime. The only difficulty is that they are both best suited as PFs. I don't know how you slide one to SF or C to get them both on the floor at the same time. At least not without sacrificing quite a bit on defense.

We’ll see how the rest of the team plays out but i got ideas

Reactions: gossie21
there’s a few guys that have multiple incarnations as players and that could cause confusion. i guess the position we put them at would designate.

example...rodman. he was a sf and had a good transition game, then he was pf playing half court. he was the best rebounder at pf, but was arguably a better overall player as a sf.

there’s a few guys that have multiple incarnations as players and that could cause confusion. i guess the position we put them at would designate.

example...James Young. he was a sf and had a good transition game, then he was playing for nobody. he was the best napper at the Craft Center, but was arguably a better overall player as a sf.
Good points, but try to avoid discussing undrafted players..... unless it's someone like Brian Scalabrine.

Last edited:
Reactions: GonzoCat90 and Aike
Yeah if we could edit those just to be safe that'd be great.

Patrick Patterson had two roles at Kentucky. Early on he was a low post anchor. His final year he was a stretch four and a weakside defender.

If you draft a guy, go ahead and specify his position. I'm placing them in the OP.

Yeah if we could edit those just to be safe that'd be great.

Patrick Patterson had two roles at Kentucky. Early on he was a low post anchor. His final year he was a stretch four and a weakside defender.

If you draft a guy, go ahead and specify his position. I'm placing them in the OP.
I edited mine.

ADVERTISEMENT