ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp Rafters NBA Legends GM Draft Round 10 Aike OTC

Thanks, fellas. Also, it doesn't help that the old lady is at work sexting me about tonight. I was distracted. Damn women make it hard for a man to get anything done. Mine does anyway. [laughing]

Last edited:
Reactions: drcats2013
I actually considered Larry and Bill, which was sacrilege for me as a Laker fan, but at the end of the day, Magic was too good to pass up.

And while I love Kobe, haters come out of the woodwork to vote against him. Not my first rodeo.

I actually considered Larry and Bill, which was sacrilege for me as a Laker fan, but at the end of the day, Magic was too good to pass up.

And while I love Kobe, haters come out of the woodwork to vote against him. Not my first rodeo.
Larry and Magic...I really wanted one of those 2

Reactions: Aike
Kobe was who I would have liked in that 7-8 range of a draft where Michael Jordan doesn't exist. He probably doesn't rank that high all-time, but the positional value is nice if you can convince people not to hate him.

Just draft Jodie Meeks as his backup and you're golden.

@GonzoCat90 - you know we’re not supposed to discuss players who haven’t been drafted yet. You’ve ruined this for Jodie Meeks fans.

Going forward, if you see you're picking within the next 3-4 picks, try to hang around.

If you know you'll be gone, shoot someone who picks at the opposite end of the draft a message with your 3-4 choices in order and let them pick for you.

Magic is the better player to copy/paste into today's game. That's not necessarily the objective, but it will be part of voting regardless of how anyone tries to frame their arguments for their team.

Magic is the better player to copy/paste into today's game. That's not necessarily the objective, but it will be part of voting regardless of how anyone tries to frame their arguments for their team.
Today’s game has ZERO to do with this draft, although prime Bird would thrive just as much as Magic. Birds shooting ability with the way the game is called today would be unfair. Both would be top 5 players in any era we’ve had to date.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz

I think that's true, which is why I'm glad Kareem was skilled and mobile and long. He'd be even better today.

If that cat was sinking sky hooks from 18 feet, it's not outrageous to think he'd have been a perimeter threat too in the current NBA.

Reactions: gossie21
I think that's true, which is why I'm glad Kareem was skilled and mobile and long. He'd be even better today.

If that cat was sinking sky hooks from 18 feet, it's not outrageous to think he'd have been a perimeter threat too in the current NBA.

All due respect, but I don’t think that ever would have been Kareem’s game. He wasn’t going to get too far away from the basket, where he could also affect the game with defense and rebounding.

He’s been dismissive of guys like (can’t name him because not drafted yet) for being primarily perimeter oriented 7 footers.

Today’s game has ZERO to do with this draft, although prime Bird would thrive just as much as Magic. Birds shooting ability with the way the game is called today would be unfair. Both would be top 5 players in any era we’ve had to date.

Voter perception has everything to do with this draft, so who’s to say how much they consider today’s game?

And Bird would have been just fine today. He was truly great. But I don’t think his shooting would have been demonstrably better. I think the way the game is called today helps out little guy shooters more than it would a guy like Bird.

Believe what you want.

The only firm criteria we have is to build "the team that would win a best of 7 playoff style format against the other drafted teams." That leaves a whole lot of blank spaces to fill in on how your team (cobbled together with players from potentially 7 different decades) would mesh together. Not everyone is going to view things the same way and today's game will undoubtedly creep into peoples minds.

Voter perception has everything to do with this draft, so who’s to say how much they consider today’s game?

And Bird would have been just fine today. He was truly great. But I don’t think his shooting would have been demonstrably better. I think the way the game is called today helps out little guy shooters more than it would a guy like Bird.
I agree with you. I never said they wouldn’t vote that way, there will be biases and everything else that affects the voting. My point is that it shouldn’t as it was not part of the criteria. Also, I just believe Bird scores easier without defenders with their hands all over him.

Last edited:
All due respect, but I don’t think that ever would have been Kareem’s game. He wasn’t going to get too far away from the basket, where he could also affect the game with defense and rebounding.

He’s been dismissive of guys like (can’t name him because not drafted yet) for being primarily perimeter oriented 7 footers.

We'll never know for sure, but you're approaching it from the assumption that his mindset wouldn't be different if he had played in a different time. For much of his career there was no three point line, so shooting from further away wasn't rewarded or strategic.

He has said himself that the skyhook isn't a "cool" shot but its effectiveness allowed him to be the all-time leading scorer and he doesn't know why more guys won't use it. It isn't a huge jump to believe a guy with that approach, growing up in a time where big guys can shoot from 3, would have utilized the shot worth the most points.

Regardless, my point was that he clearly had the skill to be a great shooter based on what he already demonstrated in a concrete way. Some of this debate will be hypothetical projection across eras and things like that, but I think his skillset is more tangible than other points about other players.

tl;dr he could do it but didn't and that's different than not doing it because you can't or it wasn't invented yet.

I agree with you. I never said they wouldn’t vote that way, there will be biases and everything else that affects the voting. My point is that it shouldn’t as it was not part of the criteria. Also, I just believe Bird scores easier without defenders with their hands all over him.

Yeah maybe. Bird was pretty dirty too, so I’m not sure how much he’d like these rules. I mean, he’d be fine either way, but I think he liked it pretty well how it was before.

This is an easy choice for me at this stage..... give me Shaq in his prime arguably the best player to ever live.

We'll never know for sure, but you're approaching it from the assumption that his mindset wouldn't be different if he had played in a different time. For much of his career there was no three point line, so shooting from further away wasn't rewarded or strategic.

He has said himself that the skyhook isn't a "cool" shot but its effectiveness allowed him to be the all-time leading scorer and he doesn't know why more guys won't use it. It isn't a huge jump to believe a guy with that approach, growing up in a time where big guys can shoot from 3, would have utilized the shot worth the most points.

Regardless, my point was that he clearly had the skill to be a great shooter based on what he already demonstrated in a concrete way. Some of this debate will be hypothetical projection across eras and things like that, but I think his skillset is more tangible than other points about other players.

tl;dr he could do it but didn't and that's different than not doing it because you can't or it wasn't invented yet.

I agree that he probably could have developed those aspects of his game if he had wanted to. But I’m actually approaching it based on quotes that have been attributed to him recently about players playing the game today.

Would he have viewed the matter differently if he had grown up in the 90s? I suppose that’s unknowable.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
I thought I was picking next, for some reason I had it my mind that I was picking 10th. I think it was because I was the 14th GM added, but on the randomization list I was put in 13th. I'll go ahead and get my pick ready.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT