ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp Rafters NBA Legends GM Draft Round 10 Aike OTC

Better late than never with my pick, finally. Can't believe this guy is still on the board actually. One of my all time favorite Cats. I'll take Antoine Walker with a shimmy. A do it all power forward. National champ here and a NBA champ in Miami. I'm stunned nobody has taken him. Also stunned that I completely forgot about him until about five minutes ago. Happy I got him, though. [banana]

This point in the draft is always crazy. There are still elite level, HOF players on the board. But 95% of the posters here have never seen most of them play, or at least don’t remember them well.

Looking at my roster construction, I really need another guard/wing. Or, more exactly, I need someone who can guard guards/wings.

Just to be clear, no one is really stopping anybody in a tournament like this. But occasionally you need to do your best to slow someone down. To cool a hot hand.

And when it gets down to one possession late, maybe you can put enough pieces on the floor to get 1 stop when you need it most. And what if your best defender can also spot up in the corner and knock down that three as your opponent scrambles to contain your other stars?

So with my 10th and final pick, give me not the best player, but the best player for my team.

Give me a three time world champ. Give me a guy who made all-defense teams 8 times.

Give me a guy who, in his best years, would give you 100 made threes at a 44% clip. Actually was a league leader in that category.

My pick, is Bruce Bowen.

@BigBlueFanGA is OTC.

Let me round out my second unit with a strong, versatile scorer that ranks top-10 all time in made 3's and has a career percentage of 38% despite the last few years of his career dragging his numbers down.

A 7 time All Star who averaged 22 points, 5 boards, 5 assists, and 1.5 steals during that stretch while making roughly two 3's per game.

He's also remarkably clutch and ridiculous to try and guard in transition or in ISO settings. The perfect bucket getter for my bench. Give me the 6'7, 240 pound Joe Johnson, G/F

I don't know that the final 2 picks will do much in swaying votes. But Jodie Meeks is still available, and we got plenty of time to kill. So I'll vote yes to 12 rounds.

Can never have enough big bodies in this format, especially guys who are freakish athletes with all-time skill to match.

6'10, 250 with career numbers of 22-9-5 (check the passing numbers of my bigs), including nearly 2 made 3s per game over the last couple years and one of the most ferocious dunkers in NBA history.

He can run the floor, take his man off the bounce, finish in traffic, shoot the ball, and find the open man. And he's still barely 29 years old. Folks don't appreciate him now, but he'll go down as a top 75 player of all time.

Let the genetic freak parade continue with Blake Griffin, F.

Can never have enough big bodies in this format, especially guys who are freakish athletes with all-time skill to match.

6'10, 250 with career numbers of 22-9-5 (check the passing numbers of my bigs), including nearly 2 made 3s per game over the last couple years and one of the most ferocious dunkers in NBA history.

He can run the floor, take his man off the bounce, finish in traffic, shoot the ball, and find the open man. And he's still barely 29 years old. Folks don't appreciate him now, but he'll go down as a top 75 player of all time.

Let the genetic freak parade continue with Blake Griffin, F.

Top 75 player of All Time? He better get to work.

Top 75 player of All Time? He better get to work.

Look at the numbers. And he's a 5x all star and 4x all NBA selection. The list of guys to go 22-9-5 in multiple years is really short.

He's better than Shawn Kemp and several other power forwards that folks probably regard ahead of him.

I'm not saying top 20 or anything. But you pretty quickly get to guys that are debatable in that 70-75 range.

Just because someone played in the 70s or 80s and posted similar or worse numbers doesn't mean they're better than a guy who is still playing.

People don't *like* him and I get that, but that doesn't factor into his all time standing.

It’s that moment where you say, “There are a lot of better known guys who I would rather draft, but how can I pass up a guy who was All-NBA 12 times? Who was a World Champ and a HOFer?”

It’s disrespectful. Look at first team All-NBA from 1957 or whatever, and you see names like Bob Cousy. And Bob Petit. And this guy. He’s there every year.

So if Bob Petit is a 2nd Rounder, and Cousy is a 4th rounder, and nobody bats an eye, surely Dolph Schayes is a steal in the 11th. So give me Dolph Schayes.

Look at the numbers. And he's a 5x all star and 4x all NBA selection. The list of guys to go 22-9-5 in multiple years is really short.

He's better than Shawn Kemp and several other power forwards that folks probably regard ahead of him.

I'm not saying top 20 or anything. But you pretty quickly get to guys that are debatable in that 70-75 range.

Just because someone played in the 70s or 80s and posted similar or worse numbers doesn't mean they're better than a guy who is still playing.

People don't *like* him and I get that, but that doesn't factor into his all time standing.

Numbers do not tell the whole story. It has nothing to do with not liking him. But he doesn’t play enough when it counts to make s case yet for discussion imo

Numbers do not tell the whole story. It has nothing to do with not liking him. But he doesn’t play enough when it counts to make s case yet for discussion imo

Did guys like McGrady or Grant Hill? Shawn Kemp? Penny Hardaway? Maravich?

They're all pretty widely considered top 100 guys. Griffin has as many elite seasons as they do. As many accolades. As many signature playoff moments and titles.

Besides, he's been a Clipper and a Piston. Hard to hold a lack of winning against anybody with that franchise misfortune.

It’s that moment where you say, “There are a lot of better known guys who I would rather draft, but how can I pass up a guy who was All-NBA 12 times? Who was a World Champ and a HOFer?”

It’s disrespectful. Look at first team All-NBA from 1957 or whatever, and you see names like Bob Cousy. And Bob Petit. And this guy. He’s there every year.

So if Bob Petit is a 2nd Rounder, and Cousy is a 4th rounder, and nobody bats an eye, surely Dolph Schayes is a steal in the 11th. So give me Dolph Schayes.

We batted an eye we were just saving the mockery and set shot jokes for later. All NBA just meant he didn't also sell shoes or insurance during the season.

They're all pretty widely considered top 100 guys. Griffin has as many elite seasons as they do. As many accolades. As many signature playoff moments and titles.

Besides, he's been a Clipper and a Piston. Hard to hold a lack of winning against anybody with that franchise misfortune.

After a small handful of ultra elite guys, the margins become razor thin.

It’s like the debate we have today about Draymond Green. Great player or great situation? With the truth being that it’s a combination of both.

I’m sure he would still be very productive if he’d been drafted by the Kings, or the Pistons, but no one would care.

All-Time guys like Magic were transcendent and I believe would have made any team great. But guys like Maravich were almost transcendent and still couldn’t transform poor teams into great ones.

I can't speak as much on Kemp and Hardaway.. Griffin is also not a great two way player.. that goes a long ways to me.

After a small handful of ultra elite guys, the margins become razor thin.

It’s like the debate we have today about Draymond Green. Great player or great situation? With the truth being that it’s a combination of both.

I’m sure he would still be very productive if he’d been drafted by the Kings, or the Pistons, but no one would care.

All-Time guys like Magic were transcendent and I believe would have made any team great. But guys like Maravich were almost transcendent and still couldn’t transform poor teams into great ones.

I don't disagree. But then I think it's safe to put Griffin in the top 100 and as a current player, 4-6 more years should have him in that 75 range.

Either way, with 140-something guys off the board, he's absolutely above lots of players already drafted.

We batted an eye we were just saving the mockery and set shot jokes for later. All NBA just meant he didn't also sell shoes or insurance during the season.

I have no doubt that Dolph Schayes would have been a perennial All Star in any era.

His son Danny stuck for 18 NBA seasons in the 80’s and 90’s, and announcers at the time were quick to point out that he couldn’t hold a candle to his dad.

I don't disagree. But then I think it's safe to put Griffin in the top 100 and as a current player, 4-6 more years should have him in that 75 range.

Either way, with 140-something guys off the board, he's absolutely above lots of players already drafted.

As an individual talent I would agree with you.

Reactions: GonzoCat90

I mean, he’s no Dolph Schayes but he’s easily top 142.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
ADVERTISEMENT