ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp Rafters NBA Legends GM Draft Round 1: GonzoCat90 vs Gossie21

Which team would win a 7 game playoff series on a neutral court?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My bench has three guys who would make his team better if he started them.

His has three who shouldn't have been drafted.

I have three of the best four players on the floor.

My "weak link" is a guy who won MVP from the point guard spot and has averaged back to back triple doubles.

Vince Carter is 8th all time in made 3s but I don't have a shooter.

His starting lineup is better at one position, but Reggie couldn't guard Vince.

My starters are better. My bench is better. It's pretty simple. You're winning an all time tournament when your second best player is Reggie Miller? Can't see it.

Westbrook is far from your weak link. He has his faults but he’s a top 7-8 player in the league and HOF lock. I get this board doesn’t like him but he’s elite.

Reggie Miller is getting disrespected some. Guy was an elite 2 guard. Not a defensive star by any means but he was deadly on offense with constant movement and his catch and shoot ability.

Westbrook is far from your weak link. He has his faults but he’s a top 7-8 player in the league and HOF lock. I get this board doesn’t like him but he’s elite.

I agree, but he seems to be the target.

Although I guess when your other options are Kareem or Barkley or Pippen you have to find someone to go after.

His has three who shouldn't have been drafted.

I have three of the best four players on the floor.

Point 1. I legit considered drafting Tyler Ulis just to watch heads explode.

Point 2. C’mon man that’s ridiculous.

Point 1. I legit considered drafting Tyler Ulis just to watch heads explode.

Point 2. C’mon man that’s ridiculous.

I honestly believe it goes Kareem, Hakeem (and I LOVE Hakeem, probably even more than you do), Barkley, Pippen, Reggie.

SLAM magazine recently had an expert panel that ranked their top 100 and put Barkley at 20, Pippen at 22, Westbrook at 37, Reggie at 55, Allen at 58, Rodman at 59, Vince at 70.

Wes Unseld at 42. Dave Cowens at 52.

It's not outrageous. Saying Charles Barkley and Scottie Pippen are better than Reggie Miller is probably a common opinion.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
If @GonzoCat90 would start Mo Cheeks instead of Westbrook I might vote for him. As of now, I’m torn.

Think I would also run Tayshaun out there in front of Ray Allen in this particular matchup, if I’m @gossie21.

I honestly believe it goes Kareem, Hakeem (and I LOVE Hakeem, probably even more than you do), Barkley, Pippen, Reggie.

SLAM magazine recently had an expert panel that ranked their top 100 and put Barkley at 20, Pippen at 22, Westbrook at 37, Reggie at 55, Allen at 58, Rodman at 59, Vince at 70.

Wes Unseld at 42. Dave Cowens at 52.

It's not outrageous. Saying Charles Barkley and Scottie Pippen are better than Reggie Miller is probably a common opinion.
I’ve never been a fan of Pippen. He was a great defender I’ll give him that, but I think he gets way overrated most of the time. I always found him to be obnoxious and a proximity beneficiary of the MJ hero worship by the refs.

I would agree with Barkley over Reggie, but I wanted to lock down the Center position and then go after shooters. I think Barkley gets lost on your roster with Kareem and Westbrook dominating your offense. And I love, love, love Barkley. Growing up my first favorite player was Dominique Wilkins, followed by Sir Charles throughout the 90s. I’m still ready to go to war against Angola if Chuck is leading the way. So yes, individually I might put Charles over Reggie, but just as an individual talent. I think Reggie and Ray fit in better with the super team concept.

If @GonzoCat90 would start Mo Cheeks instead of Westbrook I might vote for him. As of now, I’m torn.

Think I would also run Tayshaun out there in front of Ray Allen in this particular matchup, if I’m @gossie21.
Im not above pandering. If it will get your vote, consider it done.

Reactions: Aike
What is your plan to get your team to like Westbrook?

Westbrook's teammates love him except the timid snake.

I could post the video of his MVP award speech and show you all the guys who were there or the way they go to bat for him in the media or to war with him on the court.

I could also post how the Wizards felt about John Wall being injured this year, but that's a losing battle to fight on this board.

It's funny. Michael Jordan is a psycho who punches and berates his teammates and it's because he's the ultimate competitor and winner.

Russell Westbrook leaves it all on the floor while averaging double digit assists on mediocre teams and he's considered a bad teammate.

i let the dust settle before posting. i picked gonzo’s, bench is much better imho. starting five with chemistry and power and everything i liked gossie’s slightly better (miller over carter with a bunch of others cancelling each other out, except pippen over allen maybe) gonzo’s bench just much better imo.

Reactions: gossie21
i let the dust settle before posting. i picked gonzo’s, bench is much better imho. starting five with chemistry and power and everything i liked gossie’s slightly better (miller over carter with a bunch of others cancelling each other out, except pippen over allen maybe) gonzo’s bench just much better imo.
You got it half right. So close.

Reactions: hotelblue
That’s what I’m speaking on. This series. It’s close, however, I’d take Gonzo. I was just saying I could see why someone would vote for the other team, as you stated if you voted against Gonzo, don’t vote again. That’s terribly dramatic.
He’s just upset that I’m not a fan of Iverson.

Reactions: drcats2013
I’ve never been a fan of Pippen. He was a great defender I’ll give him that, but I think he gets way overrated most of the time. I always found him to be obnoxious and a proximity beneficiary of the MJ hero worship by the refs.

*snip

I think Reggie and Ray fit in better with the super team concept.

I see what your'e thinking re: fit on a super team, but Pippen is the perfect fit for this. He was top 5 MVP voting his one full season without Jordan (before his back issues that really crippled the back half of his career). He was a better defender than Jordan (I'll fight to the death on this; all defense teams are not evidence of much besides voting patterns of lazy journalists), and probably the best wing defender of all-time. And he's universally ranked top 25-ish on all-time lists. Probably the best list out there is the recent Ben Taylor (backpicks.com); he's so comprehensive, and includes things like scaleability. Pippen is 23. Simmons had him about 25. Both Ben Taylor and Simmons did a metric f%^&ton of research and have respectable lists (Simmons' Celtics bias is evident, but otherwise pretty solid and in need of an update for modern players).

I see what your'e thinking re: fit on a super team, but Pippen is the perfect fit for this. He was top 5 MVP voting his one full season without Jordan (before his back issues that really crippled the back half of his career). He was a better defender than Jordan (I'll fight to the death on this; all defense teams are not evidence of much besides voting patterns of lazy journalists), and probably the best wing defender of all-time. And he's universally ranked top 25-ish on all-time lists. Probably the best list out there is the recent Ben Taylor (backpicks.com); he's so comprehensive, and includes things like scaleability. Pippen is 23. Simmons had him about 25. Both Ben Taylor and Simmons did a metric f%^&ton of research and have respectable lists (Simmons' Celtics bias is evident, but otherwise pretty solid and in need of an update for modern players).
I don't disagree, but I think you are conflating two separate arguments.

I never cared for Pippen and I think he's overrated. So if you are going to stack up a list of players like Kareem, Hakeem, Barkley, Reggie, Ray, and Pippen.... I would rank them in that order. But if you were going to rank the players that will have the most impact on our superteams I would probably rank those 6 Kareem/Hakeem, Reggie, Ray, Pippen, Barkley.

Players like Pippen are great for this exercise because they don't dominate the ball, and can still have a positive impact on both sides of the court. Similarly I drafted Rodman for this exact reason. He is probably the best rebounder, and best offensive rebounder in NBA history so he's not going to need to take a shot in order to maximize his benefit to the team.

Congrats @GonzoCat90 a well deserved victory. I'm just glad I got those 4 voters who voted against you just for funzies.

Also, am I still in the running for the resurrected team? I don't recall if or how we decided to do that.

Congrats @GonzoCat90 a well deserved victory. I'm just glad I got those 4 voters who voted against you just for funzies.

Also, am I still in the running for the resurrected team? I don't recall if or how we decided to do that.

I don't know that anything was ever decided officially.

If so, you're welcome for all the eyeballs. I haven't seen the votes in the other threads but by sheer volume of posting and my irreplaceable star power as a general manager, the rising tide has lifted all boats.

GonzoCat90: so good that even those that lose to him win.

I don't disagree, but I think you are conflating two separate arguments.

I never cared for Pippen and I think he's overrated. So if you are going to stack up a list of players like Kareem, Hakeem, Barkley, Reggie, Ray, and Pippen.... I would rank them in that order. But if you were going to rank the players that will have the most impact on our superteams I would probably rank those 6 Kareem/Hakeem, Reggie, Ray, Pippen, Barkley.

I'm not conflating anything, we just have different rankings. First list: KAJ, Hakeem, Barkley, Pippen, Reggie, Ray. Second list: KAJ, Hakeem, Pippen, Barkley, Reggie, Ray. And Pippen is much closer to Barkley (first) and Hakeem (second) than he is to Reggie/Ray, especially on the second list.

If so, you're welcome for all the eyeballs. I haven't seen the votes in the other threads but by sheer volume of posting and my irreplaceable star power as a general manager, the rising tide has lifted all boats.

Yeah. I think it was more likely the fact that out of 14 teams two of the top-3 teams squared off in the first round. I just count myself as lucky to have cobbled together such a plucky band of scrappy players drafting from the 11th spot.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Yeah. I think it was more likely the fact that out of 14 teams two of the top-3 teams squared off in the first round. I just count myself as lucky to have cobbled together such a plucky band of scrappy players drafting from the 11th spot.

The good news is that everyone who voted against me did it because they didn't want to face my team or because they love shooters, and you drafted all the damn shooters so I don't have to worry about that going forward.

Come to think of it, I might have the best shooting squad left.

You're invited to the party we throw instead of going to the White House.

I'm not conflating anything, we just have different rankings. First list: KAJ, Hakeem, Barkley, Pippen, Reggie, Ray. Second list: KAJ, Hakeem, Pippen, Barkley, Reggie, Ray. And Pippen is much closer to Barkley (first) and Hakeem (second) than he is to Reggie/Ray, especially on the second list.
I don't think you can just look at players in isolation on the second list. You have to view the team as a whole and I just don't see how a team that has Westbrook as their PG would be able to maximize the individual brilliance of Barkley.

The good news is that everyone who voted against me did it because they didn't want to face my team or because they love shooters, and you drafted all the damn shooters so I don't have to worry about that going forward.

Come to think of it, I might have the best shooting squad left.

You're invited to the party we throw instead of going to the White House.
UKNorse still has Curry, Harden, and Klay and it looks like he's moving on.

I don't think you can just look at players in isolation on the second list. You have to view the team as a whole and I just don't see how a team that has Westbrook as their PG would be able to maximize the individual brilliance of Barkley.

Fair point. I'm a heavy proponent of staggering, so I'd probably have every non-Westbrook minute with Barkley. Really, for a lot of these matchups the coaching will be a game within a game. Good game, and good discussion in this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT