ADVERTISEMENT

Reeves today

Or, maybe it’s the fact that UK had three legit NBA players on its roster and I’m not sure one player from that UNC team plays meaningful minutes (or any minutes) on an NBA team.
None of those three are NBA players, yet. Have not played an NBA game. Totally unproven in college or NBA.

Reactions: Philstat
We need him to come back so he can play poorly here.

"Don't you listen to them. Put K-State out of your mind".

Horror 80S Movies GIF by absurdnoise

Definitely agree that AR had some off games throuthout the season (K State, UCLA, Mich St) as did ALL of the UK Team (including Cal), but from January 3rd until end of season:
  1. He scored in double figures 17 out of the last 21 games.
  2. Averaged 15.9 ppg from 1/3 thru 3/19.
  3. Averaged 21.0 ppg in SEC ROAD games from 1/3 thru 3/19.
@ Alabama 20-pts
@ Tennessee 18-pts
@ Vandy 16-pts
@ Mississippi 27-pts
@ Georgia 20-pts
@ Miss St 14-pts
@ Florida 16-pts
@ Arkansas 37-pts
Outside of Arkansas, this dude keeps showing he doesn’t play when the lights are bright.

He’s on a skid alright. Took the worst performance in school history and parlayed that into a combine performance that has probably ended his American professional basketball aspirations.
Obviously meant he’s a good player, but you can have your opinion. I’m just hoping things work out for Cal this year, cause if not, I think he’s gone.

Not saying you’re wrong but I will have to hear those 10 players names??
Not even counting guards or any player past 1969,I can name these bigs that were better overall.Offense and defense...
Dan Issel,Kevin Grevey,Rick Robey,Sam Bowie,Melvin Turpin,Kenny Walker,Jamal Mashburn,Antoine Walker,Nazr Mohamed,DeMarcus Cousins,Patrick Patterson,Anthony Davis,Julius Randle,Karl Towns,Willie Cauley Stein...and that's not even counting guards or small forwards or earlier players like Alex Groza or Cliff Hagen just to name a couple....for what it's worth,Winston Bennett or Charles Hurt would go pound for pound with Oscar and probably be able to handle him...Like I said,I love Oscar but he's not top 10

Not even counting guards or any player past 1969,I can name these bigs that were better overall.Offense and defense...
Dan Issel,Kevin Grevey,Rick Robey,Sam Bowie,Melvin Turpin,Kenny Walker,Jamal Mashburn,Antoine Walker,Nazr Mohamed,DeMarcus Cousins,Patrick Patterson,Anthony Davis,Julius Randle,Karl Towns,Willie Cauley Stein...and that's not even counting guards or small forwards or earlier players like Alex Groza or Cliff Hagen just to name a couple....for what it's worth,Winston Bennett or Charles Hurt would go pound for pound with Oscar and probably be able to handle him...Like I said,I love Oscar but he's not top 10

But yet he and AD are the only POY recipients. 🤔 His 2022 season was as good as we’ve ever seen and that’s not just at UK, that’s in the NCAA. Don’t let your hatred for Cal and his horrid coaching blind you from just how good Oscar was for us!!

Not even close? Depends on how you define success.

In terms of team success, Tayshaun Prince didn’t win sh*t. Where does he rank? He averaged 13 ppg his career yet I see people act like he is some all-time great. And I was a huge fan of his, for the record.

It’s because nobody wants to think anything at all pos the last couple years and I understand that. or maybe they’re frustrated because we had such a great player but underachieved. The bottom line is the two time all American and national player of the year is Easley and our top ten

Not even close? Depends on how you define success.

In terms of team success, Tayshaun Prince didn’t win sh*t. Where does he rank? He averaged 13 ppg his career yet I see people act like he is some all-time great. And I was a huge fan of his, for the record.

It’s because nobody wants to think anything at all pos the last couple years and I understand that. or maybe they’re frustrated because we had such a great player but underachieved. The bottom line is the two time all American and national player of the year is Easley and our top ten

He’s on a skid alright. Took the worst performance in school history and parlayed that into a combine performance that has probably ended his American professional basketball aspirations.
That’s BS I don’t even have to think long to remember that the worst performance was basically the entire team against Georgetown andEwing.

Reactions: Graham51
But yet he and AD are the only POY recipients. 🤔 His 2022 season was as good as we’ve ever seen and that’s not just at UK, that’s in the NCAA. Don’t let your hatred for Cal and his horrid coaching blind you from just how good Oscar was for us!!
It's not hatred for Calipari that's got anything to do with Oscar being top 10...Don't know why you brought that up.You asked for a list and I gave you several UK bigs that are clearly better basketball players than Oscar and it's got nothing to do with being a NPOY...yes he had a good season but he followed that up with a meh season at best and he was the best player on last year's team which should be telling on how mediocre last year was.Dont know how old you are but UK s history is full of all Americans and NBA draft picks lonnngggg before John Calipari took over.Dan Issel was never NPOY and that's saying something...let that sink in....greatest player at UK was not NPOY

You simply try to name every big man that you like with no measurement at all just your opinionAnd almost everyone of those players were on a much better team with much better support for the big man.

Reactions: Graham51
Definitely agree that AR had some off games throuthout the season (K State, UCLA, Mich St) as did ALL of the UK Team (including Cal), but from January 3rd until end of season:
  1. He scored in double figures 17 out of the last 21 games.
  2. Averaged 15.9 ppg from 1/3 thru 3/19.
  3. Averaged 21.0 ppg in SEC ROAD games from 1/3 thru 3/19.
@ Alabama 20-pts
@ Tennessee 18-pts
@ Vandy 16-pts
@ Mississippi 27-pts
@ Georgia 20-pts
@ Miss St 14-pts
@ Florida 16-pts
@ Arkansas 37-pts
Facts. Pfft… the haters don’t want no facts

Worst performance in school history?
3 for 33, ring a bell?

Fact is most good players end his season with a bad game.

You simply try to name every big man that you like with no measurement at all just your opinionAnd almost everyone of those players were on a much better team with much better support for the big man.
Lol,why does it matter if they were on a good team or not...Any one of the players I named were better than Oscar.Surely you don't think Oscar is better than Dan Issel...Anthony Davis...Jamal Mashburn...I'm not knocking Oscar but just being honest.That NPOY everybody brags about is great but Oscar is no way a better player than Dan Issel or Jamal Mashburn and neither won a NPOY award.

Reactions: NociHTTP
He’s not but where did I say he was? I said he’s top 10. You’re trying to twist as if I’m saying he’s in the top 5, as both of those guys are top 5. Again, don’t let your hatred blind you. We will likely never see a guy at UK with Oscars rebounding ability again in our lifetime.

He’s not but where did I say he was? I said he’s top 10. You’re trying to twist as if I’m saying he’s in the top 5, as both of those guys are top 5. Again, don’t let your hatred blind you. We will likely never see a guy at UK with Oscars rebounding ability again in our lifetime.
Believe what you want.If Oscar is the greatest thing since sliced bread for you then believe all ya want.

Bingo. And this was the difference between us and UNC when UNC went on their last run(2016-2017). UNC’s 2017 title team had an absurd 70+ games of tourney experience. And it’s because Roy was selling guys on UNC and not just the nba. So it was easier to get them back when the time came.
And it took a miracle shot to beat us

The program has gone from sending top draft picks to the nba to hoping guys aren’t good enough to make it in the league so they’ll return.

Reactions: bnewt and ib4ky
We need Reeves because right now the only players that are returning are Onyenso and Thiero and neither one of them played very much.

Reeves is the poster child for inconsistency, but he is likely the only returnee that saw significant clock last season, unless Tshiebwe and/or Livingston return, and it’s doubtful either one will.

With such a young, inexperienced team, having a fifth year Senior in the rotation is invaluable.

Tell me more about the other 8 NPOY guys UK has had.
A quick search reveals UK has had the following players recognized by the NCAA as being named as a National player of the year by either The Helms Athletic Foundation,The Adolph Rupp Trophy,The Wooden Award,The Naismith Award,The Oscar Robertson Trophy,The AP player of the year,The NABC player of the year or The Sporting News player of the year....
1933 Forest Sale
1935 Leroy Edwards
2010 John Wall
2012 Anthony Davis
2022 Oscar Tshiebwe

We need Reeves because right now the only players that are returning are Onyenso and Thiero and neither one of them played very much.

Reeves is the poster child for inconsistency, but he is likely the only returnee that saw significant clock last season, unless Tshiebwe and/or Livingston return, and it’s doubtful either one will.

With such a young, inexperienced team, having a fifth year Senior in the rotation is invaluable.
Need him back and Cal needs to get someone as good or better. Probably not going to happen but the team needs some depth and competition

Reactions: G-PIP
A quick search reveals UK has had the following players recognized by the NCAA as being named as a National player of the year by either The Helms Athletic Foundation,The Adolph Rupp Trophy,The Wooden Award,The Naismith Award,The Oscar Robertson Trophy,The AP player of the year,The NABC player of the year or The Sporting News player of the year....
1933 Forest Sale
1935 Leroy Edwards
2010 John Wall
2012 Anthony Davis
2022 Oscar Tshiebwe
'33 and '35 were 90 and 88 years ago. And while I have no doubt they were very good players for their time, I seriously doubt they would even make honorary mention for their efforts these days. But, I would put him up against most who have played his position at UK in the last 25-30 years. And since when did a guy have to be in the top 10 of all time UK players to be an essential component of a successful team?

'33 and '35 were 90 and 88 years ago. And while I have no doubt they were very good players for their time, I seriously doubt they would even make honorary mention for their efforts these days. But, I would put him up against most who have played his position at UK in the last 25-30 years. And since when did a guy have to be in the top 10 of all time UK players to be an essential component of a successful team?
They don't have to be in the top 10 to be an essential component of a successful team.Look I love Oscar,I have nothing against him at all but just because he got a NPOY doesn't make him top 10 in UK history.Dan Issel was never a NPOY or make it to a final 4 but he was clearly better than Oscar.
UK has had 5,so who are the other 4 players you mentioned when you said the other 8 besides Oscar.

Reactions: kyjeff1
They don't have to be in the top 10 to be an essential component of a successful team.Look I love Oscar,I have nothing against him at all but just because he got a NPOY doesn't make him top 10 in UK history.Dan Issel was never a NPOY or make it to a final 4 but he was clearly better than Oscar.
UK has had 5,so who are the other 4 players you mentioned when you said the other 8 besides Oscar.
The other 8 that are better than Oscar who are also NPOY....that's my question to you.

We have struggled and struggled badly the past few years but your statement is ignorant. It implies that we struggle to get players here since we have slipped a bit and that’s the furthest thing from the truth. The problem is, y’all think we need 40% 3 point shooters backing up 50% 3 point shooters at every position. Oscar is easily top 10 best players ever at UK while averaging insane rebounding and scoring averages but the one complaint? He can’t shoot 3’s. 😂 Also, being from Illinois St. has nothing to do with talent. Some of the best players that’s ever played our game has been from small colleges.

What happened to attacking the rim, mid range game, working inside out?
You think Oscar's only flaw is that he can't shoot 3's?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT