ADVERTISEMENT

Reeves Back! - source

I'm very happy with this news. Cal let this drag on way too long, but thankfully Reeves will be back. He is a proven scorer and will help to spread the floor for Edwards, Dilly, and Wagner.
My thinking as well. With AR back we get much needed experience and a guy who will allow the offense to flow much better.

Welcome back young man.

Just wait Rob will be a better player and will take his spot and Reeves will become toxic and get a fake injury….
Is this what you saw in a vision on a bad trip or is this just what you hope happens?

There is absolutely NO WAY to spin the reeves news as being anything other than good news. Anyone who does is just a miserable sack of crap who prefers the misery.

Hart will be the 4th man whether it's at the 2 or 3. And if we don't land Mitchell, Burks will spend most of his time at the 4, regardless of your opinion on the matter.
If we don't add Mitchell (or equivalent), Theiro will be the primary PF/4 backup, and Burks the 3rd string at that spot (& at the 3).

Just don’t understand why people didn’t want him back
some folks love the drama and bad stuff more than they love the success and good fortune. For some, it's just more enthralling. For some, they wanted Cal to leave or be fired and since it didn't' happen they now prefer to see it all burn to the ground so they can be vindicated.

This is great news! Good to have Reeves back in the fold.

Now get Cyril and we are in pretty good shape.

G Wagner/Dillingham
G Reeves/Sheppard/Hart
G Edwards/Burks
F Bradshaw/Thiero
F Onyenso/Cyril
Agree, except Wagner and Dillingham will play together some (say 10-15mpg), and Reeves will play some with them (as the backup 3, otherwise he is the lead 2).

If we don't add Mitchell (or equivalent), Theiro will be the primary PF/4 backup, and Burks the 3rd string at that spot (& at the 3).
So Thiero goes from a projected guard/wing to the backup 4 man, playing a position he's never played before?

How does that one work?

So Thiero goes from a projected guard/wing to the backup 4 man, playing a position he's never played before?

How does that one work?
He’s a lot stronger and more physical than Burks. Plus has a year of college under his belt. He’s a better fit than Burks at the 4, most likely.

But both Thiero and Burks are going to play at the 4 on the Canada trip with Bradshaw out.

We will see which one is better suited for the role.

Reactions: crawfords corner
Canada trip roster looks a lot better with Reeves.

Hate that Bradshaw will be out.

G Wagner/Dillingham
G Reeves/Sheppard
G Edwards/Hart
F Thiero/Burks
F Onyenso

May see a lot of small ball with only one true big man on the roster.

Be nice to add Tre Mitchell or another big before the trip.

You get Cyril and maybe Mitchell from WVU, and we're preseason top 5.

Everyone's preferred lineup by March would be:

Bradshaw - Onyenso - Cyril
Mitchell - Bradshaw - Burks
Edwards - Thiero - Hart
Reeves - Dillingham - Sheppard
Wagner - Dillingham - Sheppard

2nd unit would be strong with Dillingham as 6th man.

Obviously Mitchell is a stretch, but if he hits the market, UK needs to get that kid. He'd solve a ton of issues if Bradshaw is really hurt.
That’s silly. Top 25 maybe

Mitchell moves us to a legit SEC title contender, IMHO.

Gives us two fifth year Seniors to go with the superstar Freshmen.

Also gives us insurance in case Bradshaw doesn’t come back or isn’t 100% for the season.

I hope the rumors are right that he is an option.

Reactions: ganner918
Regardless who we bring back or add I just can't get too excited knowing the last few years results. We still have Cal leading this squad. I still say regardless who we bring back we will hover around 10 losses, around a 6 seed for the tourney and not go past the Sweet 16. Hope I am wrong and will be here to eat crow if I am.
Typical doom-and-gloom nonsense from a Cal hater. Can we wait until this team plays a game before we start predicting how many games they are going to lose?

Reactions: downthehatch
“It’s extremely important, just in terms of having a returning starter that played under Cal,” Branham told the Herald-Leader. “He made tremendous strides last season. He bought into what Cal was feeding him last year. So to have a voice like that in the locker room, where he’s able to tell these freshmen, ‘Hey, if you listen to Cal, and you buy in to what he’s telling you, good things can happen.’ And he’s proof of it.”

“There was a lot of talk around NBA circles about him as an NBA prospect, and halfway through the year — the first half of the season — he was a wild roller-coaster ride,” Branham said. “He was a player that, frankly, was tough to win with. But by the end of the year he made so much improvement and was so much more efficient. “So to have a returning starter who played under Cal and knows how Cal coaches, can take freshmen under his wing … because Adou and Ugonna, they had very limited roles. They weren’t receiving the similar type of coaching, day in and day out, as a guy like Antonio Reeves was. So to get him back is crucial, to say the least.”

“(Defense) and his decision making,” Branham said of areas where Reeves can get better this season. “That was part of the reason for his wild roller-coaster ride in the first part of the season. Shot selection and all that stuff was just so erratic at times that it really kind of scares people, but if he buys into being a more effective defender, more consistent on that end, more reliable — and he proves to be more efficient, like he was in the second half of the season — then, yeah, he’s going to continue to get those NBA looks.”

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...tball-men/article276038396.html#storylink=cpy

How does that one work?
It works based off the type of games they have. Burks is a 3, have you not watched any of his tape ? Yes he is listed at 6-9, but he goes about 180. Thiero will play more SMALL ball 4 then Burks. Bradshaw will be the 4. He prefers playing g the stretch 4 than the 5. It's both of our opinions, we are both entitled to them.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I'd put Wagner Reeves and Edwards up against anyone's top 3.

Duke - Roach McCain Proctor
UNC - Cadeau Davis Ingram
Tennessee - Vescovi James Knecht
UConn - Newton Spencer Castle
MSU - Hoggard Walker Akins
KU - Harris McCullar Timberlake
Zona - Boswell Love Larsson
USC - Collier Ellis Johnson
Zags - Nembhard Smith Venters
Maybe, but still remains to be seen. Kind of hard to say that when Wagner and Edwards have played zero college ball. Many a heralded freshman has gone to Ky, Duke, unc, ETC and not played to their billing.

Maybe, but still remains to be seen. Kind of hard to say that when Wagner and Edwards have played zero college ball. Many a heralded freshman has gone to Ky, Duke, unc, ETC and not played to their billing.
Yes but a lot more have played to rank. Goes both ways. MOST of our stud guys have played up to their potential, some lower guys even played higher (Herro. SGA). Glass half full guy here. Give me talent over potential.

Typical doom-and-gloom nonsense from a Cal hater. Can we wait until this team plays a game before we start predicting how many games they are going to lose?
Nope. Seen this song and dance too many times. You feel free to be as giddy as you want too. I don't hate Cal for the record. It is possible to think under Cal the program is headed in the wrong direction the last few years. Big difference.

Travis Branham tweet.

NEWS: Kentucky guard Antonio Reeves moved into his dorm last night and is expected to return to Kentucky for the 2023-24 season, a source tells
@247Sports
Well, that changes things now, don't it boys? Getting out my copy of the Arkansas game to watch tonight -- burned the KSU game.

Add one more experienced front court player and suddenly things are looking a whole lot different, with the Best Recruiting class maybe of all time, two very promising young players in Thiero and Onyenso, the team's most explosive scorer in Reeves and maybe physical phenom Cyril...
Needed this! I will now chill til the start of season especially if we get another big.

This may come as a surprise to you, but it is way more acceptable being labeled a Cal hater than a Cal jock sniffer.

Nope. Seen this song and dance too many times. You feel free to be as giddy as you want too. I don't hate Cal for the record. It is possible to think under Cal the program is headed in the wrong direction the last few years. Big difference.
There is no need in trying to explain your position to someone who thinks Cal does no wrong. Like Charlie Brown waiting for the great pumpkin, Cal worshipers continue waiting in the ruins of what use to be great basketball for the return of greatness from Cal.

Last edited:
The guy didn't want to be here, and Kentucky was his parachute. Now there could be issues with min promised or expected. IMO, this could lead to Wheeler 2.0. I like Reeves, but not sure this is worth the gamble with a young team, chemistry wise.
It’s definitely worth it, we need his scoring/shooting and another player who has actually played a lot of college ball with success. We actually have a rotation now.

It’s definitely worth it, we need his scoring/shooting and another player who has actually played a lot of college ball with success. We actually have a rotation now.
If playing time is earned, I don't think he will have any issues with Reeves; however, if it is all about the number of stars you have, we are in for a wild ride this season.

Do what you want to do and stop trying to police what others are doing.

Projecting wins and losses is something fans do, get over it.

Heck, there's literally an over/under wins/losses thread. I think you even posted in it. Guess it's okay when you do it aye?

Has there even been any news of movement among WVU players and if so, has UK reached out?
I have a co-worker/friend who is a big WVU fan; he told me that WVU has tossed around a lot of NIL money that those players aren't likely walking away from without someone meeting or exceeding what they are currently receiving.

Reactions: Fox2monk
It’s amazing how we’ve changed - I remember fans ripping Terrance Jones (a 15/9 NBA skilled player) and now we’re doing cartwheels over an Illinois-State transfer returning - glad he’s back l, but expectations have changed so much.

I have a co-worker/friend who is a big WVU fan; he told me that WVU has tossed around a lot of NIL money that those players aren't likely walking away from without someone meeting or exceeding what they are currently receiving.
I had seen that initially 8 players were gonna walk after Huggy met with them and told them of the resignation.

Well dammit I had refrained from commenting but just posted if he didn’t know by now then say goodbye. I’ll eat my crow and say if he wants to be part of the team and happy to be there, then welcome back.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT