ADVERTISEMENT

Reeves Back! - source

The guy didn't want to be here, and Kentucky was his parachute. Now there could be issues with min promised or expected. IMO, this could lead to Wheeler 2.0. I like Reeves, but not sure this is worth the gamble with a young team, chemistry wise.
Would be the case IF Cal was someone who promised things like that….he doesn’t so not debatable

The good news is that Reeves has already been told that Wagner, Edwards, and Bradshaw are the team's top options. Reeves is returning to UK with a full understanding of his role as a 4th option and leader.
No way that conversation took place.

Who tells a veteran and one of your leading scorer that when trying to get him to return?

Probably the opposite.

Just need a little more depth, could be a little more experienced.. but this is a pretty solid roster heading into next season. Just need one or two of the freshman to come on strong abd we should be good.

Imo with Reeves back, UK should be top5 preseason. Certainly top10.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Good point. But Reeves had some phenomenal shooting nights and some horrible nights as well. I just hope he plays within himself, doesn’t cause chemistry problems, and shows up as a positive force and helps us win.
Every (3pt) shooter has off nights and is streaky!
The problem last year is that our #1 scoring option (Reeves) relied upon the 3pt shot, AND we didn't have enough scoring options. That doesn't mean we didn't get good minutes from guys like CL, Collins, Theiro, Ware. But in terms of getting us a bucket when we needed one, it was Oscar, Reeves, Toppin, Wallace and that was it. Wallace sometimes seemed reluctant to be that (I say that but I'd take a team full of guys like him every day), and Oscar couldn't create his own shot.

So next year, I expect our scoring options to be Edwards, Reeves, Wagner, Dillingham (of course those first 4 won't play together) and maybe Bradshaw (I have my doubts). So it would be good to add an interior scoring option if we can (Somto is not that). I like Onyenso, but he will be more for D than O. Those first 4 can all create their own shot.

Just need a little more depth, could be a little more experienced.. but this is a pretty solid roster heading into next season. Just need one or two of the freshman to come on strong abd we should be good.

I'm not going there til I see at least a couple of the freshmen perform at an elite level in college, and see that we have the 4/5 solid. Our 2016 squad started #2, dropped to 23, and finished 10 and they had one of the best backcourt duos in UK history.

I'm not going there til I see at least a couple of the freshmen perform at an elite level in college, and see that we have the 4/5 solid. Our 2016 squad started #2, dropped to 23, and finished 10 and they had one of the best backcourt duos in UK history.

Yeah, of course. We need to see how these guys perform. It's highly likely that at least 1 or 2 of these freshman struggle.

But on paper at least, it's top10. #1 recruiting class that's historically great, returning our best scorer, some promising sophomores coming back, and added some recruits/transfers that can be more of 2nd unit guys.

And most surprisingly.. we have all positions covered (if we can get Somto). Two elite PGs, several offensive minded wings, a bunch of forwards, a shot blocking big. Were actually becoming a.. dare I say it?.. kind of a deep team? Just need Somto and I'd still like another PF.

That’s phenomenal news. I hope he’s utilized correctly and rewarded for sticking around

Regardless who we bring back or add I just can't get too excited knowing the last few years results. We still have Cal leading this squad. I still say regardless who we bring back we will hover around 10 losses, around a 6 seed for the tourney and not go past the Sweet 16. Hope I am wrong and will be here to eat crow if I am.

• Angry
Reactions: dlh331 and KFuqua
Just listened to a Michigan space and he said basically reeves only came back because he wasn’t gonna eligible in the portal, lol fine by me, all that matters is he is a cat

No way top 5. I wouldn't say top 10 either. Around 15-20 right now. We still don't have any clue how the Bradshaw situation plays out and how much Ugo will have developed and can hang there. The backcourt is nice tho for sure.

No way top 5. I wouldn't say top 10 either. Around 15-20 right now. We still don't have any clue how the Bradshaw situation plays out and how much Ugo will have developed and can hang there. The backcourt is nice tho for sure.

The problem is, the team with the top recruiting class almost always finds it's way into the preseason top10. Now, I'm not saying that UK is "for sure" a top10 team.. some of these guys might be busts.

But Kentucky was already in that 15-25 range, and that was before we added Burks and Hart.. and when most pundits didn't factor in Reeves returning.

People want to say Duke and Kansas are on this next level from Kentucky because they returned a few extra guys.. but it's not like either team went any further than Kentucky did in the tournament. Like, do we really think Roach, Flip, Proctor, and Mitchell is that much better than what we have coming in? I'm not really convinced.

Reactions: thedahc
Just listened to a Michigan space and he said basically reeves only came back because he wasn’t gonna eligible in the portal, lol fine by me, all that matters is he is a cat

What an easy out for them. They get to tout their superior education and make excuses for Howard. Meanwhile, they've gotten transfers in the past like DeVante Jones (Coastal Carolina) and Chaundee Brown (WF) that didn't present an issue.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
The problem is, the team with the top recruiting class almost always finds it's way into the preseason top10. Now, I'm not saying that UK is "for sure" a top10 team.. some of these guys might be busts.

But Kentucky was already in that 15-25 range, and that was before we added Burks and Hart.. and when most pundits didn't factor in Reeves returning.

People want to say Duke and Kansas are on this next level from Kentucky because they returned a few extra guys.. but it's not like either team went any further than Kentucky did in the tournament. Like, do we really think Roach, Flip, Proctor, and Mitchell is that much better than what we have coming in? I'm not really convinced.

Idk about all that but fully expect losses to Kansas and Duke in regular season. Probablu Gonzaga in Rupp too. Not a friendly OOC schedule for a young team IMO.

Yeah, of course. We need to see how these guys perform. It's highly likely that at least 1 or 2 of these freshman struggle.

But on paper at least, it's top10. #1 recruiting class that's historically great, returning our best scorer, some promising sophomores coming back, and added some recruits/transfers that can be more of 2nd unit guys.

And most surprisingly.. we have all positions covered (if we can get Somto). Two elite PGs, several offensive minded wings, a bunch of forwards, a shot blocking big. Were actually becoming a.. dare I say it?.. kind of a deep team? Just need Somto and I'd still like another PF.
You get Cyril and maybe Mitchell from WVU, and we're preseason top 5.

Everyone's preferred lineup by March would be:

Bradshaw - Onyenso - Cyril
Mitchell - Bradshaw - Burks
Edwards - Thiero - Hart
Reeves - Dillingham - Sheppard
Wagner - Dillingham - Sheppard

2nd unit would be strong with Dillingham as 6th man.

Obviously Mitchell is a stretch, but if he hits the market, UK needs to get that kid. He'd solve a ton of issues if Bradshaw is really hurt.

Yep.

I don’t think many folks on this board realize just how poor a defensive player Reeves is. If Dilly and Reed can match his offensive production and play better defense, then Reeves will find himself where Wheeler did.

I was really hoping dude wouldn’t return.
He is no worse than many we have had over the years. This is being over played.

Travis Branham tweet.

NEWS: Kentucky guard Antonio Reeves moved into his dorm last night and is expected to return to Kentucky for the 2023-24 season, a source tells
@247Sports
Well, that changes things now, don't it boys? Getting out my copy of the Arkansas game to watch tonight -- burned the KSU game.

Add one more experienced front court player and suddenly things are looking a whole lot different, with the Best Recruiting class maybe of all time, two very promising young players in Thiero and Onyenso, the team's most explosive scorer in Reeves and maybe physical phenom Cyril...
The only problem is we have Cal back

Oh I agree. I'm just talking as of now and not being sure of Bradshaw.

Now, if we add Cyril, Mitchell, and Bradahaw is good to go..then oh yeah, now we're cooking with serious gas.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Want to explain why Cal couldn't get ANYONE out of the portal, and ONLY Reeves after the dude had nowhere else to go?
Easy to explain. The guys in the portal want to play. They look at who we have coming in and know they can't beat that guy out. Reeves wanted out for the same reason. But he had no takers. So he's coming back to be a practice player and draw whatever NIL monies he can.

Guys don't enter the portal to go ride the bench somewhere else. Now, maybe some of them could have come in and earned minutes? But they were too scared to try.

Idk about all that but fully expect losses to Kansas and Duke in regular season. Probablu Gonzaga in Rupp too. Not a friendly OOC schedule for a young team IMO.

True.. but thats kind of how it's been for quite some time. With Cal as our coach, we generally have younger teams, and those teams often get clipped a few times early. But these teams are also the ones that can make a run in March. So, sure, I would bet Duke beats us in November.. but I'm absolutely taking our chances if we play in March, when some of our freshman are proving worthy of the NBA, and Duke is still trying to make Roach into worthy PG.

yes we have a very very good roster despite what some of the trolls and hate filled fans try to say

You get Cyril and maybe Mitchell from WVU, and we're preseason top 5.

Everyone's preferred lineup by March would be:

Bradshaw - Onyenso - Cyril
Mitchell - Bradshaw - Burks
Edwards - Thiero - Hart
Reeves - Dillingham - Sheppard
Wagner - Dillingham - Sheppard

2nd unit would be strong with Dillingham as 6th man.

Obviously Mitchell is a stretch, but if he hits the market, UK needs to get that kid. He'd solve a ton of issues if Bradshaw is really hurt.
Hart is a 2G. He is best when he has a size advantage. No way he plays the 3 and have bigger guys on him.
Burks is not a 4. In a pinch he might can fill in, he is a wi g and uses athletic ability to create and score. He has size, but his game screams wing.

This is great news! Good to have Reeves back in the fold.

Now get Cyril and we are in pretty good shape.

G Wagner/Dillingham
G Reeves/Sheppard/Hart
G Edwards/Burks
F Bradshaw/Thiero
F Onyenso/Cyril

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Hart is a 2G. He is best when he has a size advantage. No way he plays the 3 and have bigger guys on him.
Burks is not a 4. In a pinch he might can fill in, he is a wi g and uses athletic ability to create and score. He has size, but his game screams wing.
Hart will be the 4th man whether it's at the 2 or 3. And if we don't land Mitchell, Burks will spend most of his time at the 4, regardless of your opinion on the matter.

Reactions: kyjeff1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT