ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

I made the case back in the summer why he is not a good defensive catcher. About the only thing he has improved on is throwing runners out. Negative defensive runs saved. This season will be huge for Stephenson but sadly they really don't have any other options to replace him with. Maile is a good defensive catcher but not consistent enough offensively, fine as a backup which is his role on this Reds team. Perhaps Stephenson rebounds but he is just too big to be behind the plate. Really don't know why he wasn't moved to LF/1B earlier in his career. Unfortunately with this infield logjam, the Reds are not going to be able to afford him as many 1B/DH AB's and will have to stay healthy behind the plate for the Reds this year. The Reds better find a catcher in the 2024 draft or trade some of these infielders and pitchers to get one.
I have to think that Arroyo will allow somebody like India or one of the other infielders to be used as quality trade bait in the coming seasons. Not sure if he will see the bigs this year short of injuries or a September call-up, but I fully expect him to either supplant somebody or be traded down the road.

I have to think that Arroyo will allow somebody like India or one of the other infielders to be used as quality trade bait in the coming seasons. Not sure if he will see the bigs this year short of injuries or a September call-up, but I fully expect him to either supplant somebody or be traded down the road.
It's a tough decision no doubt because even if India is traded, you still don't have an opening for everyday playing time in the infield for your top position prospect Edwin Arroyo as long as Marte, EDLC, McLain & CES are there. I can see Arroyo being ready by mid-summer like this recent wave of rookies.

What I don't want to see is the Reds screw off and miss the prospect window to move someone they have no room for currently like what happened to Barrero and Senzel. Had the Reds been willing to move Senzel prior to 2019 before he got exposed, might have had an impact bat or another ace for those teams that finished above .500 in 2020-21.

Definitely not saying Arroyo will be a bust though this is the situation the Reds are in with more top infielders than they know what to do with. Whoever wants to learn another position and succeed with it will have the long term future here.

I think the Reds should try to keep this team together as long as possible or at least thru Stephenson's arbitration years (ending in 2026). But the best ability is availability. So if players can't stay healthy, it might be time to move on. Even for a great leader like India or a Stephenson who has yet to have 1000 career AB's.

Last edited:
I think the Reds should try to keep this team together as long as possible or at least thru Stephenson's arbitration years (ending in 2026). But the best ability is availability. So if players can't stay healthy, it might be time to move on. Even for a great leader like India or a Stephenson who has yet have 1000 career AB's.
In fairness to Stephenson, he came up during the COVID year, split time with Barnhart in 2021. Had a nasty injury in 2022 to cut his season short but managed to make it all the way through 2023 without a trip to the IL. He will need to start at catcher more this season with less AB's available at the DH/1B position now but the productive backup with Maile gives the Reds a decent catching tandem. He did have a bit of a power surge late in the 2nd half so that is encouraging if he takes it into 2024 and the collarbone had even more time to heal as the season progressed. Bottomline, he has to improve but I am certain recovering from a broken clavicle hindered his ability last year but making it all the way through 2023 is a good sign after the injury-plauged 2022 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: jameslee32
In fairness to Stephenson, he came up during the COVID year, split time with Barnhart in 2021. Had a nasty injury in 2022 to cut his season short but managed to make it all the way through 2023 without a trip to the IL. He will need to start at catcher more this season with less AB's available at the DH/1B position now but the productive backup with Maile gives the Reds a decent catching tandem. He did have a bit of a power surge late in the 2nd half so that is encouraging if he takes it into 2024 and the collarbone had even more time to heal as the season progressed. Bottomline, he has to improve but I am certain recovering from a broken clavicle hindered his ability last year but making it all the way through 2023 is a good sign after the injury-plauged 2022 season.
I actually think a guy like Stephenson might hit even better as he ages after his first FA contract. He just needs AB's and health imho.

Reactions: kybloo92
It's a tough decision no doubt because even if India is traded, you still don't have an opening for everyday playing time in the infield for your top position prospect Edwin Arroyo as long as Marte, EDLC, McLain & CES are there. I can see Arroyo being ready by mid-summer like this recent wave of rookies.

What I don't want to see is the Reds screw off and miss the prospect window to move someone they have no room for currently like what happened to Barrero and Senzel. Had the Reds been willing to move Senzel prior to 2019 before he got exposed, might have had an impact bat or another ace for those teams that finished above .500 in 2020-21.

Definitely not saying Arroyo will be a bust though this is the situation the Reds are in with more top infielders than they know what to do with. Whoever wants to learn another position and succeed with it will have the long term future here.
I think the issue for us as fans is getting attached to a certain group of players and the guys that came up last season showed more promise than we’ve seen in a very long time. So naturally we hate to see it disrupted and for any of those guys to be traded off to become all-stars somewhere else. When in reality if Arroyo proves his readiness, then we shouldn’t feel like we’re taking a step back moving a guy like Marte, India or McClain to make room for him. Even as I personally typed that I cringed writing McClain and Marte. India is about the only expendable one I see. And I think moving him in the off season would have been best for the clubhouse.

I think the issue for us as fans is getting attached to a certain group of players and the guys that came up last season showed more promise than we’ve seen in a very long time. So naturally we hate to see it disrupted and for any of those guys to be traded off to become all-stars somewhere else. When in reality if Arroyo proves his readiness, then we shouldn’t feel like we’re taking a step back moving a guy like Marte, India or McClain to make room for him. Even as I personally typed that I cringed writing McClain and Marte. India is about the only expendable one I see. And I think moving him in the off season would have been best for the clubhouse.
As a fan, I am fine with trading off any prospect or Major Leaguer if the return is for someone who helps this team. Don't care it it's Arroyo, India, Connor Phillips or one of the recently drafted starters that is unproven so long as the Reds acquire Major League talent in return to win now. Winning is all I care about as a fan and from our perspective, we're just tired of the nonstop fire sales and rebuilds without winning anything in the postseason.

Reactions: Tskware and CB3UK
They had to change the narrative for the Reds because it's baseball that (minus the wlldcard games) has a playoff series to determine the winner and since the Reds have actually had playoff wins since 1995. SF winning 2 huge games at GABP in 2012 continued the misery.

They had to change the narrative for the Reds because it's baseball that (minus the wlldcard games) has a playoff series to determine the winner and since the Reds have actually had playoff wins since 1995. SF winning 2 huge games at GABP in 2012 continued the misery.
I think most people got what the gist of the article and even states it is about the Reds drought of advancing in the postseason. Yes they won 2 NLDS games vs San Francisco in 2012 but as the article states, Cincinnati has not won a postseason round since they swept the Dodgers in the 1995 NLDS. Could write a similar article with an NHL team since they do series for their postseason rounds. NBA as well despite the play-in games. Officially considered separate from the NBA playoffs, the NBA play-in tournament is in a category of its own according to the league.

Last edited:
I think most people got what the gist of the article and even states it is about the Reds drought of advancing in the postseason. Yes they won 2 NLDS games vs San Francisco in 2012 but as the article states, Cincinnati has not won a postseason round since they swept the Dodgers in the 1995 NLDS. Could write a similar article with an NHL team since they do series for their postseason rounds. NBA as well despite the play-in games. Officially considered separate from the NBA playoffs, the NBA play-in tournament is in a category of its own according to the league.
Everyone in Cincy gets it. At least the older fans. Just not sure about the accuracy because of all things mentioned already but of course it's not too surprising if true. 29 years is a long time. Baseball tends to get weird anyway with so-called records. How many baseball teams have won their last 9 World Series games like the Reds? Of course this winning streak is from 1975 to 1990. 🤣

Everyone in Cincy gets it. At least the older fans. Just not sure about the accuracy because of all things mentioned already but of course it's not too surprising if true. 29 years is a long time. Baseball tends to get weird anyway with so-called records. How many baseball teams have won their last 9 World Series games like the Reds? Of course this winning streak is from 1975 to 1990. 🤣
It was just a post, no need to overanalyze everything. If you're going to dispute the accuracy of it, looking up playoff droughts is a very easy thing to do. Was able to do it in a matter of minutes.

Last edited:
Anyone know what day they report to training camp? I know our first game against Cleveland is the 24th.
February 14th for pitchers/catchers and the 19th everyone else. Minor leaguers usually head out much sooner to get workouts in and typically many Major leaguers especially the injured ones go on early to get ready.

Reactions: CB3UK
February 14th for pitchers/catchers and the 19th everyone else. Minor leaguers usually head out much sooner to get workouts in and typically many Major leaguers especially the injured ones go on early to get ready.
Thanks. Just wondering how long we have to wait to start getting some real daily scoop/news instead of the offseason stuff.

Someone said the Bat Cats are 30 days away from their first game. Haven't checked that, but if we're at just a month until baseball season all I can say is hell yes

Thanks. Just wondering how long we have to wait to start getting some real daily scoop/news instead of the offseason stuff.

Someone said the Bat Cats are 30 days away from their first game. Haven't checked that, but if we're at just a month until baseball season all I can say is hell yes
Absolutely, ready for some warm weather and Reds baseball to come back on TV. Hope they show more Spring Training games this year.

Reactions: CB3UK
It was just a post, no need to overanalyze everything. If you're going to dispute the accuracy of it, looking up playoff droughts is a very easy thing to do. Was able to do it in a matter of minutes.

I just want to win the WS and having fun with it tbh.

Corbin Burnes out of the division, headed to Baltimore.
Is Milwaukee primed to take a step backwards this season? Haven't followed their moves too much to know if this is a big loss for them or not. Are they in a bit of a retooling mode? Will Chicago be our biggest competition for the NL Central this year?

Is Milwaukee primed to take a step backwards this season? Haven't followed their moves too much to know if this is a big loss for them or not. Are they in a bit of a retooling mode? Will Chicago be our biggest competition for the NL Central this year?
They probably do take a step back this year since both Chicago spent some money luring Counsell away, St. Louis adding Sonny Gray & Kyle Gibson plus this Reds team being a year older. Milwaukee losing pitchers like Burnes & Adrian Houser as well as Craig Counsell definitely looks like a retool mode now. However they go out and splurge for Rhys Hoskins, this trade with Baltimore brings 2 ML ready players adding DL Hall 1 former 1st Round pick and Joey Ortiz a top 100 prospect who both reached MLB with Baltimore.

Well, at least we have an old infielder to take Votto's spot, I feel much better about that position now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT