ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

Like Emilio Pagan or Brent Suter?
Reds should just let India get the plantar fasciitis surgery out of the way and fully heal. It is a nagging injury that is not going away on its own. Call up Arroyo if McLain and Marte aren't ready to go. Ready to see Fraley take a reserve 4th outfielder role behind behind Benson, Friedl & Steer first in the outfield. According to the Reds official site, Benson at this stage of spring is listed above Fraley with Steer in LF. It isn't a knock on Fraley who has decent pop and can steal some bases. Just don't think he is durable enough to withstand the everyday grind and nothing since he has been here nor in Seattle has proven otherwise.

Reds should just let India get the plantar fasciitis surgery out of the way and fully heal. It is a nagging injury that is not going away on its own. Call up Arroyo if McLain and Marte aren't ready to go. Ready to see Fraley take a reserve 4th outfielder role behind behind Benson, Friedl & Steer first in the outfield. According to the Reds official site, Benson at this stage of spring is listed above Fraley with Steer in LF. It isn't a knock on Fraley who has decent pop and can steal some bases. Just don't think he is durable enough to withstand the everyday grind and nothing since he has been here nor in Seattle has proven otherwise.
Would agree with this. Now is the time for the Reds to determine if their OF is MLB playoff ready. Some potential there but question marks too.

Reactions: M4CAT
Curious as to which Reds youngster or starter HAS proven to be durable? Seems undetermined to me or a small sample size.

Curious as to which Reds youngster or starter HAS proven to be durable? Seems undetermined to me or a small sample size.
Curious as to why you are lumping a 'small sample size' and durability into the same argument. Seem like the 'small sample size' argument on its own merit would suggest players need more of a chance and HAS nothing to do with durability which is unfair to these youngsters. Didn't Will Benson and Spencer Steer make it all the way through last year without the IL? Friedl only 1 IL stint in the regular season in his career. He isn't sitting the bench for anyone until his play warrants benching. There is some durability for you since this discussion was about the outfield.

Back to why Fraley should take a lesser role in the OF, managed to only play 276 games in 5 seasons because of injury and frankly at this point it is probably better for him long term. That is not a small sample size and why I think others deserve the starting role more. Fine with him joining the rotation of those who will be in line to get DH AB's to get his bat in the lineup which is fair but still a .250 hitter in Cincinnati. Stephenson made it all the way through 2023 without an IL stint which is a good sign in the right direction. There is no real reason to suspect CES is going to be injury-prone. EDLC one injury coming through the Reds organization. Bringing up the starting rotation obviously has its issues but was irrelevant to the discussion and we all get it.

Last edited:
Curious as to why you are lumping a 'small sample size' and durability into the same argument. Seem like the 'small sample size' argument on its own merit would suggest players need more of a chance and HAS nothing to do with durability. Didn't Will Benson and Spencer Steer make it all the way through last year without injury? Friedl only 1 IL stint in the regular season in his career. He isn't sitting the bench for anyone until his play warrants benching. There is some durability for you. While I was solely discussing the outfield, Stephenson made it all the way through 2023 without an IL stint which is a good sign in the right direction. EDLC one injury coming through the Reds organization. Bringing up the starting rotation obviously has its issues but was irrelevant to the discussion and we all get it.
Benson and Steer were rookies hence the small sample size question for them or any rookie in MLB that has 162 games on a schedule. Frield is perhaps the best example of durability and I'm glad you went there. I just don't see many other proven examples. Even Stephenson has less than 1000 career AB's with 465 of those coming just last year.

Benson and Steer were rookies hence the small sample size question for them or any rookie in MLB that has 162 games on a schedule. Frield is perhaps the best example of durability and I'm glad you went there. I just don't see many other proven examples. Even Stephenson has less than 1000 career AB's with 465 of those coming just last year.
I am aware they were rookies but until they have proven otherwise, I just think that is unfair to lump them into the argument questioning their durability which isn't even an issue yet compared to a veteran outfielder that we know his ceiling and has a prolonged injury history. McLain may be one who is concerning but not at that point with Marte, EDLC, CES so forth until it becomes an issue. Like I said above, it is not a knock on Fraley as a player but how do you manage to keep him on a path to finish the season without multiple IL stints? Give some of the youngsters more work and find ways to keep him healthy. I really don't like the Stephenson example to be quite honest. 2020 the Reds had both Barnhart & Casali before him and by 2021 they still were starting a gold glove catcher like Barnhart while playing in 116 games and trying to make the postseason. 2022 was a terrible year no doubt but lets hope that never happens again. Which you have to give him credit for putting in the work rehabbing to last all of the 2023 season without an injury.

Last edited:
Would agree with this. Now is the time for the Reds to determine if their OF is MLB playoff ready. Some potential there but question marks too.
Still think they should have moved some of those infield prospects and pitchers without a clear shot to the Majors blocked by the current young guys on the Reds to get a legit outfielder under team control that would have without question bolstered the lineup even further. Depending on who that OF might have been, hitting L/S probably would have been money better spent than further loading up the infield with career .243 hitter like Candelario that multiple analysts said the Reds paid above his market value to land him. Frield & Benson should start but make no mistake there will be a learning curve for Steer this year as well as India for how many games he logs in the outfield. I know the Reds are in a good place across the board when fully healthy but it is about how you can improve on being just a good team and a legit contender. Can't keep those prospects forever before they run out of options or get exposed to the Rule 5 Draft.

Last edited:
I am aware they were rookies but until they have proven otherwise, I just think that is unfair to lump them into the argument questioning their durability which isn't even an issue yet compared to a veteran outfielder that we know his ceiling and has a prolonged injury history. McLain may be one who is concerning but not at that point with Marte, EDLC, CES so forth until it becomes an issue. Like I said above, it is not a knock on Fraley as a player but how do you manage to keep him on a path to finish the season without multiple IL stints? Give some of the youngsters more work and find ways to keep him healthy. I really don't like the Stephenson example to be quite honest. 2020 the Reds had both Barnhart & Casali before him and by 2021 they still were starting a gold glove catcher like Barnhart while playing in 116 games and trying to make the postseason. 2022 was a terrible year no doubt but lets hope that never happens again. Which you have to give him credit for putting in the work rehabbing to last all of the 2023 season without an injury.
Yeah no doubt about TS and also why I questioned making an example out of Fraley when so many others are equally questionable either because of injuries or a small sample size. That's where we are with this team I suppose. The season can either be in doubt because of it or rather unlimited potential when fully healthy.

I'll stick with the plan that 2025 is the year to make that gigantic move as a team with so many young players headed into their 3rd MLB season. Not that it can't happen sooner.

Yeah no doubt about TS and also why I questioned making an example out of Fraley when so many others are equally questionable either because of injuries or a small sample size. That's where we are with this team I suppose. The season can either be in doubt because of it or rather unlimited potential when fully healthy.

I'll stick with the plan that 2025 is the year to make that gigantic move as a team with so many young players headed into their 3rd MLB season. Not that it can't happen sooner.
Like I said though, this wasn't a knock on Fraley as a player to single him out or pick on him. The Reds found their plan to preserve Tyler Stephenson over the course of a season playing some 1B/DH and getting Maile routine AB's as well. I was merely suggesting something similar to Fraley so that he can last for an entire season and still see what Benson can improve on after 1 year plus whatever India & Steer can bring to the outfield. I won't pit rookies into the same discussion as veterans when it comes to questioning durability. Just don't think that is fair unless there is a lengthy history in the minor leagues that suggests it. Only can think of McLain that does have multiple injuries.

Last edited:
Yesterday we seemed to get some good news on the Nick Lodolo front. The lefty faced batters in a live batting practice session and he felt good during and after. But he did note that he would have to see how things felt tomorrow. Well, tomorrow is now today, and the news wasn’t the greatest.

David Bell, while speaking to the media (first reported by Gordon Wittenmyer of the Cincinnati Enquirer), said that Lodolo’s recovery from yesterday was “not perfect” and that he “still feels it”. He also noted that he was going to be re-evaluated and has his leg re-scanned. Then Bell said it was “no major concern”. Charlie Goldsmith, also from the Cincinnati Enquirer has a few more specifics from Bell.

TIFWIW, Bell said that the plans are to use spot starts throughout the season in order to skip starts for rest rather than employing a 6-man rotation.

Not sure how Christian Roa is factoring into the picture until he proves himself at the AAA level first. His numbers are not that impressive. Lyon Richardson needs to pitch deeper into games if he plans to start at the MLB level. He missed the entire 2022 season so hopefully he takes the next step forward. Could fill the role as a long reliever out of the bullpen since he is good for 3-4 innings currently. His innings total was still 7 off from the point he was at in 2021 before the injury shut him down. Of course no MILB in 2020 and pitched 112 innings in 2019.

Julian Aguiar is one not on your list that if all hell breaks loose again with an injury-plagued season, he could come into the picture. Before then, you would have to imagine the Reds would turn to less exciting options like Connor Overton & Brett Kennedy with experience in Cincinnati before they reach for Aguiar or any of last year's promising young college pictures from the draft.

Yesterday we seemed to get some good news on the Nick Lodolo front. The lefty faced batters in a live batting practice session and he felt good during and after. But he did note that he would have to see how things felt tomorrow. Well, tomorrow is now today, and the news wasn’t the greatest.

David Bell, while speaking to the media (first reported by Gordon Wittenmyer of the Cincinnati Enquirer), said that Lodolo’s recovery from yesterday was “not perfect” and that he “still feels it”. He also noted that he was going to be re-evaluated and has his leg re-scanned. Then Bell said it was “no major concern”. Charlie Goldsmith, also from the Cincinnati Enquirer has a few more specifics from Bell.
Poor Nick, obviously hoping for the best and indeed no major concern.

Reactions: CalCat57
Seriously? Unbelievable. The infield depth going to pay off now. Hope Edwin Arroyo can make the team out of ST the way he has been playing if India & McLain have any setbacks. Tonight they are playing India at 1st, CES at 3B.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: jameslee32
Seriously? Unbelievable. The infield depth going to pay off now. Hope Edwin Arroyo can make the team out of ST the way he has been playing if India & McLain have any setbacks. Tonight they are playing India at 1st, CES at 3B.
Arroyo was already assigned to minor league camp. They’d have to reassign him. Figured he was going to start the season at Louisville anyway. Just means Candelario is the likely regular at 3B to start the season.

Arroyo was already assigned to minor league camp. They’d have to reassign him. Figured he was going to start the season at Louisville anyway. Just means Candelario is the likely regular at 3B to start the season.
Arroyo is in the game today starting at SS vs Arizona as I type this!

Odd time to waive him halfway through Spring Training with Marte going down and the position versatility he offered. The Reds really missed the boat with another prospect to trade him for some value before he turned into another Senzel where his trade value only fell once called up to Cincinnati. The Reds have depth fortunately but one more blow to it will significantly test it. India is in LF today. Lodolo pitched 2 scoreless innings. Stephenson hit a 3-run home run.

I thought Greene, Ashcraft or Abbott would get the start before Montas after being out so long. The newcomer Martinez has been lights out in Spring. Have to take it all with a grain of salt right now facing so many minor leagues though you can't help but to be excited if they can just stay healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT