ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

Spring Training officially underway today as Pitchers and Catchers report for duty. Anyone have a projection on who will be the Opening Day starter? I'm going to predict Graham Ashcraft since he had the strongest finish to last season of the group. Will be interesting to see how the rotation shakes out, i certainly hope the pieces fall into place and they have a mostly healthy season where they can give the regular rotation guys some days off throughout the season to preserve them for a post-season run.

Who am I kidding, three of them will be in the IL by May.

Joey Votto is still a FA and hasn't latched onto a team yet. I would have thought somebody would have taken a flyer on him, I'm sure somebody will at some point to fill a spot. Is he just too expensive for what teams would get? I wish the guy well and hope he goes into Cooperstown as a Red.

Spring Training officially underway today as Pitchers and Catchers report for duty. Anyone have a projection on who will be the Opening Day starter? I'm going to predict Graham Ashcraft since he had the strongest finish to last season of the group. Will be interesting to see how the rotation shakes out, i certainly hope the pieces fall into place and they have a mostly healthy season where they can give the regular rotation guys some days off throughout the season to preserve them for a post-season run.

Who am I kidding, three of them will be in the IL by May.
The Opening Day nod is Hunter Greene's to lose IMO. With a decent spring, would be shocked if it is anyone but Greene. That is why they paid him the big bucks. The organization views him as their guy even with his injury concerns and volatile production which is a common theme among the majority of the pitching staff. This is the year we need to see them all take the next step forward and prove to stay heathy and productive.

Levi Stoudt DFA'd today, claimed Bubba Thompson off waivers from Minnesota who was in the Reds organization earlier in the offseason.

It's 2024, one would think that MLB would have the technology to set up a video feed for more games than this to be televised or streamed, use the audio from the radio over the video feed so that we could see more of the games.

And Mclain still hurting, Lodolo on IL, Ashford on IL. Reds stumbling into camp.

Thinking out loud with the Reds first game on TV. Fraley, Friedl and Benson are the safest bets on the club to come northeast for the regular season after the Reds interesting moves to add infield depth.

Bubba Thompson 3-3, 2 runs driven in. Trying to secure a spot as a reserve outfielder. Reds have no more options on Jose Barrero & Stuart Fairchild so to stash them in Louisville, will have to pass through waivers.

Last edited:
Yeah it seems like I say the same thing about him every year. Health is so huge for this entire pitching staff.
Absolutely. You saw how close we came to the playoffs last year. If our pitching staff hadn't been gutted by injuries all season, we absolutely would have been in. Hopefully that means karma is on our side this year.

Matt McLain and India both injured. Hopefully both short term.
Not sure I like it. Both injuries are flare-ups of something from last season. Obliques and the Plantar Fasciitis are types of injuries that can nag you for a long long time.

Reactions: CalCat57
Not sure I like it. Both injuries are flare-ups of something from last season. Obliques and the Plantar Fasciitis are types of injuries that can nag you for a long long time.
Yeah, it's rather deep into recovery time for these guys to have continued problems.

Frankie Montas & Connor Phillips pitched 2 scoreless innings. Up 1-0 on the Cubs. Frankie Montas could be a steal. When he is healthy, one of the better pitchers in baseball. Montas & Castillo were the hottest names on the trade market at the deadline in 2022.

Last edited:
Someone should have signed Votto as a non-roster invitee if for no other reason to work with prospects with everyone in camp. I think back to the conversation about hitting he had with Benson in Boston that changed the trajectory of his season from that point on. He has a brilliant baseball mind. No current place for him on the Reds though you never know how the season goes with injuries.

The Joey Votto Era is over. Done! An all-time great but the future is now for these Reds and it is a bright one.

Up 3-0 right now on the Dodger so far. Impressed with Ashcraft's debut pitching 2 scoreless innings, 2 K's and only 1 walk after coming back from the injury. A clean inning for inning Antone and Diaz struck out the side.

Diaz was good until he got worn down late in the season. Reds need someone that can take up some of his innings mid season.

Reactions: Tskware
Will be curious to see how Bell & Krall narrow the starting rotation down by opening day should everyone make it through ST healthy.

A healthy Frankie Montas is starting. No 2 ways about it.

Hunter Greene is paid to be ace of this Reds staff and that is just how they view him at this time. Fine with me.

Andrew Abbott - LHP. Did absolutely nothing to lose a starting spot.

Can't imagine a scenario in which Graham Ashcraft is not in the rotation.

Leaves the 5th and final spot with multiple options unless they use a 6-man rotation.

Every article I have read seems to point towards Nick Martinez being that veteran innings eater many of us have wanted the Reds to sign. Have to note that he benefited tremendously from the advantages of pitching in Petco Park (2.60 ERA) compared to somewhere like GABP now and his road numbers last year were definitely higher (4.50 ERA). He is a swingman pitcher who also could really benefit this Reds team in a setup role/middle relief as well. That is where I would like to see him in with so many options to start but my gut says he probably will make the rotation.

Nick Lodolo - LHP. Still think his long-term future is as a starter though he has missed more time than any of the Reds young pitchers. Will be interesting to watch what the Reds plans are for him. He has a lot to prove this spring to earn a rotation spot. It would not shock me if Lodolo isn't left behind for extended Spring Training depending on his health. Pitched a live BP session today.

Brandon Williamson - LHP. He had his solid moments last year and never was quite the same after COVID late last year. Could be a rubber arm out of the bullpen and a spot starter should anything happen to the starters above in case of an injury or getting ran from a game early.

Connor Phillips - He has a bright future and may very well be a part of the rotation for years to come. I think he starts the season in AAA to get more seasoning.

Other options - Carson Spiers, Chase Petty, Christian Roa & Lyon Richardson. Anyone else within the organization that could possibly find their way into the equation it would be a worst-case scenario much like last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: CalCat57
Will be curious to see how Bell & Krall narrow the starting rotation down by opening day should everyone make it through ST healthy.

A healthy Frankie Montas is starting. No 2 ways about it.

Hunter Greene is paid to be ace of this Reds staff and that is just how they view him at this time. Fine with me.

Andrew Abbott - LHP. Did absolutely nothing to lose a starting spot.

Can't imagine a scenario in which Graham Ashcraft is not in the rotation.

Leaves the 5th and final spot with multiple options unless they use a 6-man rotation.

Every article I have read seems to point towards Nick Martinez being that veteran innings eater many of us have wanted the Reds to sign. Have to note that he benefited tremendously from the advantages of pitching in Petco Park (2.60 ERA) compared to somewhere like GABP now and his road numbers last year were definitely higher (4.50 ERA). He is a swingman pitcher who also could really benefit this Reds team in a setup role/middle relief as well. That is where I would like to see him in with so many options to start but my gut says he probably will make the rotation.

Nick Lodolo - LHP. Still think his long-term future is as a starter though he has missed more time than any of the Reds young pitchers. Will be interesting to watch what the Reds plans are for him. He has a lot to prove this spring to earn a rotation spot.

Brandon Williamson - LHP. He had his solid moments last year and never was quite the same after COVID late last year. Could be a rubber arm out of the bullpen and a spot starter should anything happen to the starters above in case of an injury or getting ran from a game early.

Connor Phillips - He has a bright future and may very well be a part of the rotation for years to come. I think he starts the season in AAA to get more seasoning.

Other options - Carson Spiers, Chase Petty, Christian Roa & Lyon Richardson. Anyone else within the organization that could possibly find their way into the equation it would be a worst-case scenario much like last year.
TIFWIW, Bell said that the plans are to use spot starts throughout the season in order to skip starts for rest rather than employing a 6-man rotation.

Not sure how Christian Roa is factoring into the picture until he proves himself at the AAA level first. His numbers are not that impressive. Lyon Richardson needs to pitch deeper into games if he plans to start at the MLB level. He missed the entire 2022 season so hopefully he takes the next step forward. Could fill the role as a long reliever out of the bullpen since he is good for 3-4 innings currently. His innings total was still 7 off from the point he was at in 2021 before the injury shut him down. Of course no MILB in 2020 and pitched 112 innings in 2019.

Julian Aguiar is one not on your list that if all hell breaks loose again with an injury-plagued season, he could come into the picture. Before then, you would have to imagine the Reds would turn to less exciting options like Connor Overton & Brett Kennedy with experience in Cincinnati before they reach for Aguiar or any of last year's promising young college pictures from the draft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT