ADVERTISEMENT

Red Dead Redemption 2

Forgot to save game before I went after the Arabian. Was in the process of calming it, about 6 feet away and about to mount....3 wolves who will now be known as Barrett, Zion, and Reddish come out of nowhere and rip her apart. Didn’t even have time to react. (Horse will not reappear if it dies or is scared away and you can’t find it)

That sucks. You were going to name the horse Kentucky weren’t you?

Never been a hugely invested video game guy. Played all the usual growing up (41 now).

Buy 2-3 games a year that I am excited about—last purchase was COD WWII which more than delivered imo. Partial to the FPS games almost exclusively now as the open world takes so much more time.

Having said all that, I just bought RD2 on Best Buy’s site and will pick up when they open shortly. Been in New Orleans all week for business. Gonna have a nice quiet Sunday playing Red.

Thanks for the post as inspiration to buy the game fellas. The clips look amazing and the one above with the guy demolishing the women’s voting chick is freaking hilarious. Watching him cycle thru weapons and options was hilarious as I could picture his mind deciding to stab or curb stomp her. Haha

Beautiful game but I just finished chapter 1 and I feel like I’m watching a movie instead of playing a game. I liked older games that gave you a little bit of background with lots of gameplay. This is cinematic overload which is what I don’t like about today’s games.

Early Tomb Raider games were a good balance, todays equivalent Uncharted series is mostly about the story instead of doing stuff. I just want to get into a bunch of gun fights tbh.

Reactions: homeytheclown
Beautiful game but I just finished chapter 1 and I feel like I’m watching a movie instead of playing a game. I liked older games that gave you a little bit of background with lots of gameplay. This is cinematic overload which is what I don’t like about today’s games.

Early Tomb Raider games were a good balance, todays equivalent Uncharted series is mostly about the story instead of doing stuff. I just want to get into a bunch of gun fights tbh.
I totally agree

Reactions: Xception

Chapter 1 is essentially a tutorial with some background information. About midway through Chapter 2, it really opens up.

I went for the Arabian and ended up with the legendary white bison pelt, nobody chased me or experienced any trouble. That ride back to town was something though, super remote location

Chapter 2 is also a sneaky tutorial. All the missions teach you the mechanics of the game and most of the odd, game-long side quests are introduced.

My kid is doing the play-thru, I'm just hunting and doing the side quests she doesn't like, trying not to follow the story until I can do my own play thru... and I am thoroughly enjoying myself. Most immersive game for me since Fallout New Vegas.

Can't seem to drag a man behind a horse for more than a couple hundred yards before he dies. Supposed to drag him for 3300 feet.

Also, the run-ins with the klan are :joy:

Reactions: JStaff2187
How do y'all know about the Arabian and the legendary pelts? I must have missed that information in one of the missions. I just started chapter 3.

How do y'all know about the Arabian and the legendary pelts? I must have missed that information in one of the missions. I just started chapter 3.
A mission in chapter two about the legendary grizzly, the guy gave you a map that’s probably on your horses saddle bag. It shows the general area to find each legendary animal. I still don’t know if I should keep the white bison pelt or sell it to a trapper for money. I don’t want to find out it’s a component for a special bag or clothing later.

Anyway, the legendary animal doesn’t always appear just because you go there. Being off your horse helps and you have to track them via clues, a small question mark will appear in the area to check out for more clues that will lead you to the animal. They are hard to kill, buy powerful bullets.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
A mission in chapter two about the legendary grizzly, the guy gave you a map that’s probably on your horses saddle bag. It shows the general area to find each legendary animal. I still don’t know if I should keep the white bison pelt or sell it to a trapper for money. I don’t want to find out it’s a component for a special bag or clothing later.

Anyway, the legendary animal doesn’t always appear just because you go there. Being off your horse helps and you have to track them via clues, a small question mark will appear in the area to check out for more clues that will lead you to the animal. They are hard to kill, buy powerful bullets.

Yep, all the early missions are like tutorials. Nearly every mission is either teaching you or giving you the gear/skill you're going to need in the game. There's a fairly steep learning curve to the controls, too. So many controls, it's almost clunky until you get the feel. Stuff gets lost, but it's always somewhere. You never "lose" a gun, hat, mask, etc when picking up something new... it just gets shuffled into inventory.

I knew about the white horse and the special Lancaster repeater from watching pre-release vids.

Sell all the legendary pelts to the trapper. He will give top dollar and then sell you the special garments. The other legendary "bits" like panther eyeballs, gator teeth and whatever, need to go to the fence in Saint Denis. He crafts talismans with them that give special game perks.

Oh yeah. Some items are one-off and do not re-spawn if sold off. Gold/silver earrings, handcuffs, special necklaces and other jewelry are used for talismans. You can actually find them and sell them before knowing you need them.

Go to the fence in SD and look at his crafting list to know what's what.

Legendary pelts can only go to the trapper. Sell them to him then you can craft the clothing. Legendary “other things” (wolf heart, bear claw, etc) are used to craft trinkets at the fence.

Don’t worry, you can’t mess up the legendary stuff. You can’t give the legendary pelts to anyone but the trapper and you can’t use the legendary items anywhere but the fence. If you lose your legendary pelt (horse dies, whatever) it goes directly to the trapper anyway.

Talk about clunky controls, I shot three people is was trying to help. One lady had a horse on her, hit R2 and blew her brains out. Apparently I got a dyslexic cowboy

Yep. I was driving a wagon and tried to turn around and talk to two dudes on horses, but I hit A and ran one of them over killing him and his horse.

I ended up having to murder two more people before I sped out of there. The other guy and a witness.

Is there a cheaper way to get a bounty off my head than going to the post office and paying? Bumped into a guy coming out of a hotel and ended up killing him and half the lawmen.

Kill every lawman and bounty hunter this side of the Mississippi.

Talk about clunky controls, I shot three people is was trying to help. One lady had a horse on her, hit R2 and blew her brains out. Apparently I got a dyslexic cowboy
You press triangle to mount your horse, right. And you get used to being sloppy with getting on the horse when you're out and about in the wild. In town, around people, the triangle button is the melee choke button, and it's like an insanely fast wrasslin move. In the blink of an eye, if you aren't exactly lined up with your horse, you're just strangle raping some old man in a top hat up against a wall.

Was in Van Horn and some stranger said something like, "You'd best cut and run if you know what's good." I thought that meant get away from me. So, I walked across the street. Next thing I know, the whole town is kicking my ass, then they started shooting at me and as I tried to ride away, I ran into a rock at full sppeed and killed my horse. Had to reload. I'm not losing my horse.

Stuff can go so wrong so fast it literally takes you by surprise. It;s like watching a train wreck. Save often.

The legendary jaguar is owning me. I can't see it.

You press triangle to mount your horse, right. And you get used to being sloppy with getting on the horse when you're out and about in the wild. In town, around people, the triangle button is the melee choke button, and it's like an insanely fast wrasslin move. In the blink of an eye, if you aren't exactly lined up with your horse, you're just strangle raping some old man in a top hat up against a wall.

Was in Van Horn and some stranger said something like, "You'd best cut and run if you know what's good." I thought that meant get away from me. So, I walked across the street. Next thing I know, the whole town is kicking my ass, then they started shooting at me and as I tried to ride away, I ran into a rock at full sppeed and killed my horse. Had to reload. I'm not losing my horse.

Stuff can go so wrong so fast it literally takes you by surprise. It;s like watching a train wreck. Save often.

The legendary jaguar is owning me. I can't see it.

On a side quest where the reverend is drunk and getting into shenanigans, I intervened in a scuffle he was involved in. A witness then started to head towards town to rat me out to the law. I chase him down, yelling stop mister!! He finally stops and agrees he didn’t see nothing. Being an outlaw, I decided to rob him for making me run the length of a football field. It says press triangle to rob, so I do... but instead end up choking him to death.

Oh well... I looted him afterwords and he’ll definitely keep his mouth shut now.

I like to go into situations with random events with my knife drawn. If it’s a trap, I stab the first person in the gut then draw my revolver to go into dead eye for the rest. My Arthur chugs so much Kentucky bourbon, he should be dead.

Last edited:
Is there a cheaper way to get a bounty off my head than going to the post office and paying? Bumped into a guy coming out of a hotel and ended up killing him and half the lawmen.

You can donate your money to your camp then get arrested, clearing your bounty without having to pay for it they only can take what you have on you.

I know this is slightly OT and I'm very far behind:

But decided to grab GTA5 on the cheap and... It's a letdown. The city doesn't look any better than GTA4 IMO, the missions are the same ho-hum objectives, the character switching is gimicky, does nothing else new and possibly worst of all, they practically hand you eveything from the start. I was driving an Audi (their version), with two safe houses, firing grenade launcher.. in the first night of play.

For a game with SO much to do, I'm already kinda over it 5 hours in. Being from the same studio, does RD2 fix this? A lot of people comparing it to GTA5, for right or wrong.

Also, the run-ins with the klan are :joy:

H7oyhva.jpg

Reactions: FusterCluck
The white Arabian is too difficult, I got on once but bucked off. You spend so much time getting close then it kicks you and takes off, I kept tracking but then it disappeared with no tracks in the snow. Why do I have to army crawl 200 yards to this damn thing only for it to run another 200 yards away just so it can get upset when I get 5 feet away. Just let me shoot it and rub some heal on it.

Last edited:
The white Arabian is too difficult, I got on once but bucked off. You spend so much time getting close then it kicks you and takes off, I kept tracking but then it disappeared with no tracks in the snow. Why do I have to army 200 yards to this damn thing only for it to run another 200 yards away just so it can get upset when I get 5 feet away. Just let me shoot it and rub some heal on it.

I’ve rode a formerly wild Kentucky Saddler I tamed since chapter 2. I’m in chapter 5 now. I have no regrets. I’m so into everything else, I haven’t noticed my horse sucks.

I’ve rode a formerly wild Kentucky Saddler I tamed since chapter 2. I’m in chapter 5 now. I have no regrets. I’m so into everything else, I haven’t noticed my horse sucks.
Ok, I just tamed the white Arabian and in true of course that happened fashion the horse stopped bucking at the edge of a cliff. Yea we both went over and crashed hard, it just laid there for a little bit wiggling. Then it gets up, I have no doubt it almost died. I already stole a male Arabian but I had to get the female for the challenge, not easy.

What I learned getting the Arabian

1. Use binoculars and the track feature
2. Hold L2 to calm when you’re within range
3. Walk slowly ready to hit calm button if spooked
4. If the spooked caption box appears then stop walking until it goes away
5. When close enough get on using L to counter the bucking, hitting calm when the option appears

I failed several times being impatient, could probably do it in one try now

5. When close enough get on using L to counter the bucking, hitting calm when the option appears

Yeah, patience is required in nearly everything involving animals. Trying to find a 3 star animal to hunt is about the same way. Use your binoculars and track but, instead of calming the animal, you line up your kill using the proper weapon.

Is the Arabian too fast to lasso? I assume it is. That’s how I’ve tamed the few horses I have gotten though.

You could just lasso it. Still have to mount and not get bucked off, but it makes the approach easier/faster.

Yeah, patience is required in nearly everything involving animals. Trying to find a 3 star animal to hunt is about the same way. Use your binoculars and track but, instead of calming the animal, you line up your kill using the proper weapon.

Is the Arabian too fast to lasso? I assume it is. That’s how I’ve tamed the few horses I have gotten though.
I don’t know about a lasso, I was getting ready to use my stolen Arabian to ride alongside and jump on the wild one. Probably wouldn’t have worked but I was thinking outside the box.

Edit: apparently you can lasso as someone just posted

hah, you should've sniffed that one out... what was he like, "hey there buddy, looking a little slim there, wanna come in for some nice warm , scrumptious nourishment?"

I know this is slightly OT and I'm very far behind:

But decided to grab GTA5 on the cheap and... It's a letdown.

i'd just put gta5 to the side and play this if I were you.. this game has plenty to do, has character progression and a more compelling story and is probably the best looking console game i've ever seen. gta 5 is still a last generation game like gta 4; i could never really enjoy them as they were sort of too over the top for my tastes but they share the same basic format of how rockstar creates their open world and quest format

I've found the best method for breaking a horse is to just pull down on the L3 while pressing square "calm." Trying to counter his direction just gets me thrown. I got lucky with the Arabian, on my 3rd or 4th try, when I mounted her, she was trapped by some tress and just bucked in a circle for like 5 minutes.

So bummed. I think I've discovered a glitch as searching yields no results.

Like, Monday night, while making my 10th+ attempt at the legendary jaguar, I got all the way to the final stage of tracking and my minimap turned red in front of me, just over the edge of a berm I couldn't see over. As I got closer, the red warning area doubled in size, then split into 2. Then 2 red dots appeared. It was bounty hunters screwing up my hunt. I killed them and the hunt was ruined.

I went on to do other things, thinking I'd go back later to get him when he respawns. I did LOTS of things, mostly fishing, hunting, playing cards and other rnadom crap for the challenge perks. I went back to get the jaguar last night and it shows the picture on the map is x-ed out. Not available. Everything says I don't have the animal, prompting me to kill the jag for Master Hunter 10 status. But, he never respawns. I've tried everything. Had to reload an old file. Lost so much. My daughter isn't going to be happy.

This game has a way of stepping on its own feet. I can't even imagine the headaches it caused the devs.

I met a hermit in the bayou who invited me in for supper and I got raped. This game, man...

If I meet a hermit in the bayou who invites me to dinner I’ll be sure to politely decline, followed by an emptying of my revolver on his face.

hah, you should've sniffed that one out... what was he like, "hey there buddy, looking a little slim there, wanna come in for some nice warm , scrumptious nourishment?"

i'd just put gta5 to the side and play this if I were you.. this game has plenty to do, has character progression and a more compelling story and is probably the best looking console game i've ever seen. gta 5 is still a last generation game like gta 4; i could never really enjoy them as they were sort of too over the top for my tastes but they share the same basic format of how rockstar creates their open world and quest format

GAAAHHH I don't have a console anymore. SOme realllll good black friday deals though!

Yeah, GTA's have always been over the top, and it worked.. but not this one. Kinda feeling the same way, it's just too ridiculous. Haven't played it in a few days.

ADVERTISEMENT