ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic coaching replacements for Cal

Don't agree with TJ, Golden, or Pope. Don't know who McCasland is.

Agree with Hurley, Pearl and Golden.

Don't agree with the process beginning in April. I think it needs to begin today.
Don’t agree with Golden, then in the next breath say you agree with Golden. — which is it?

Just names off the top of my head, not an exhaustive list
COW has to get fired or leave first before the process starts, don’t you agree?

Won't happen but Pearl would kill it here for 5-10 years.
I would at least make phone calls to the big dogs and make them say no. Guys who may be long shots like Jay Wright or Dan Hurley. Personally, I think Bruce Pearl would crawl to Kentucky and I like him. I know a lot of people don't, but I love his passion for the game. Good coach and recruiter as well. And I think he has the personality to handle the fish bowl that is UK basketball. With that said, despite the recent news of Scott Drew wanting an extension at Baylor, I think he would be Mitch's first call.

Realistically we probably can't get a huge name to coach here. We are no longer anything special. We don't have anything to offer that any power 5 can't match. In this century we have 1 title.

We will need to look at some promising mid major coach or go the Duke/UNC route and hire someone that was connected to the program at some point.
🙄 It’s a good thing you’re anonymous.

A lot of coaches these days want the least amount of pressure but the most amount money. Watching Alabama football, which is probably the hottest job in any college sport, have to settle for at least that we know of the fourth or fifth guy on the list worries me a little bit.

Then again, what do we have to lose?
Fifth guy on the list? Do you watch college football? That was their top choice. And they landed him with ease, right away.

Not getting Hurley, Wright, Donovan, or any NBA guys to come. They’ll say no to coming here or leaving their situations. Bryce Drew (puke) , Shaka, Pearl, Sampson (maybe), & others would be options. Best to look for a 3-7 year bridge guy and then see who is successful in this new NIL & portal era.

I’d throw money at Billy Donovan. Guys a hell of a coach and he’s in Chicago right now. He would do phenomenal here and may be more likely to take the job now. When he was at Florida, he built that program and had it made. In the NBA he’s already been fired once at Oklahoma City. With the portal he could step right in and have us kicking ass in no time. That’s what we need

Reactions: Doodah859
Fifth guy on the list? Do you watch college football? That was their top choice. And they landed him with ease, right away.
Oh is that why at least one other coach come out and said he turned the job down? That would mean he wasn’t the top guy. And several coaches were reportedly contacted and maybe interviewed at the time. I’ve forgotten more about college football than you’ll ever know. Don’t act like you have inside sources over anybody else so shut the hell up.

I’m bargaining on the fact that he gets fired or resigned but who are actually some plausible replacements for cal. People like hurly, brad steven’s and billy donovan would be great to have but it’s not happening. so who are some realistic replacements for cal
1. Brad Stevens 2. Dan Hurley 3. Jay Wright (maybe too old at 62) 4. Billy Donovan 5. Lamont Paris

A few guys that would take it right now that I think would be good hires:
Dana Altman
Greg McDermott

Dark horse:
Amir Abdur-Rahim (you won’t, but you should)

Don't agree with TJ, Golden, or Pope. Don't know who McCasland is.

Agree with Hurley, Pearl and Vogel.

Don't agree with the process beginning in April. I think it needs to begin today.
McCasland is the Texas Tech coach. Anyway, Hurley isn’t coming and I’d take Golden over Pearl or Vogel. Actually, I’d take about 100 coaches over Vogel.

If friggin joe biden and Donald trump can be president then damnit pat Riley can coach this team.

• Haha
Reactions: blubo
There is absolutely no way Bruce Pearl would ever be considered for the UK job. Stevens, Wright and Donovan will all say no and money won't change their minds. And why would they want the hassle?
Rick Pitino? That's laughable. UK is not going to go there. That bridge is burned.
Beard lost the chance he had at being the head coach at UK with that clown show in Texas. Oats does not have any fans inside UK athletics and Musselman hasn't proven anything yet.
Sean Miller is perceived as dirty, Lloyd might get a look but, I bet he has a pretty steep buyout with Arizona.
Shaka Smart is too inconsistent and hardly anyone had ever heard of Golden this time last year.
Mitch Barnhart, who has a conservative nature, will make a safe choice. At least in his mind. There is NO WAY he picks another coach with a bigger than life personality. He'll pick someone he can get along with and not be bullied by.
Whether he's the right choice or not, Barnhart will choose Scott Drew.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
There is absolutely no way Bruce Pearl would ever be considered for the UK job. Stevens, Wright and Donovan will all say no and money won't change their minds. And why would they want the hassle?
Rick Pitino? That's laughable. UK is not going to go there. That bridge is burned.
Beard lost the chance he had at being the head coach at UK with that clown show in Texas. Oats does not have any fans inside UK athletics and Musselman hasn't proven anything yet.
Sean Miller is perceived as dirty, Lloyd might get a look but, I bet he has a pretty steep buyout with Arizona.
Shaka Smart is too inconsistent and hardly anyone had ever heard of Golden this time last year.
Mitch Barnhart, who has a conservative nature, will make a safe choice. At least in his mind. There is NO WAY he picks another coach with a bigger than life personality. He'll pick someone he can get along with and not be bullied by.
Whether he's the right choice or not, Barnhart will choose Scott Drew.
It’s hard to say who would say no to this job. This is Kentucky. Look how bad Cal wanted this job before he got it. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re right about Scott Drew being his choice if he makes the next hire.

- Tommy Lloyd (bottom of the list until we see how he does in the tournament)
Tommy Lloyd should be at the top of the list.

He’s been a top 2 seed every year at an Arizona job that was supposed to be a rebuild.

He won on the road at Duke this year, tough environment, stepped up to the plate, while Cal is something like 6-25 I think in neutral site games the past few years.

Gonzaga has fallen off since Lloyd left.

He’s only been at Arizona for 3 years, there’s a decent chance he can be pried away.

FWIW, Scott Drew would be 2 on my list, when he refused Louisville he basically mocked their program and said he would only consider leaving Baylor for a top prestigious program. I read that as signaling UK.

Reactions: EliteBlue
The path to getting Hurley would be if Uconn loses esrly this year. If that happens I could see him thinking of heading to a bigger program with a top dollar salary. If he wins the title this year, back to back, then he's likely going to stay here.

But if Hurley thinks that Uconn is in any way holding him back (be it recruiting, his salary, etc), then I could see him biting for UKs pay day

And let's not forget, aside from last year, Hurley was kind of "meh" for Uconn. He had a very nice run last year, and he kept some of that team around. But eventually your championship caliber teams are gone, and no coaches can really sustain being a top3 team year in and year out. Even coach K and Jay Wright had teams that were just good, Sandwiched around their great teams that won titles. That will also happen to Hurley, and I'm sure he is aware of this. He might want to parlay this recent success into a big contract if Uconn is only going to pay him like 6 or 7 million.

A few guys that would take it right now that I think would be good hires:
Dana Altman
Greg McDermott

Dark horse:
Amir Abdur-Rahim (you won’t, but you should)
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

• Haha
Reactions: GermantownDawg
Dudes with rings at big P5 schools, making multi millions, most likely will not be interested in leaving those gigs.

Don't live in an era anymore when only a couple of upper tier "blue bloods" have the facilities, resources, name recognition, and money.

It's why Billy D, Mark Few, Jay Wright, Scott Drew, have all stayed put and Hurley though he's still relatively new and not so entrenched with roots will stay put. Exception being Billy going to league, but he was getting tired of the never-ending college season...and it's the pros he could've had plenty of other college gigs including this one.

Going to have to go with a guy who's relatively new/young and/or bounced around, coached good teams, maybe sniffed around S 16s and EEs...but ultimately kind of looking for that opportunity to be at program to hunt deep runs. Not making huge money nor at a big-name brand P5.

Probably the top of who we can actually get...
Drew
Pearl

Then a bunch of others...
Beard
May
Kelsey
Smart
This list could go on forever

And here's the big takeaway, you should be happy with any of them. Why? Because they aren't the fat poser we have now.
Most likely any high school coach from across the state would be an upgrade

The list of names people are throwing out are delusional. Maybe Phil Jackson and Pat Riley are interested in being co-GMs and Stevens, Donovan, Bill Self and Kelvin Sampson can all be co-head coaches
Your takes on Calipari the last four years have also been delusional.

I know Florida lost yesterday, I watch the entire game. I am 100% in on Todd Golden. I think he is the next big time coach in collage basketball. I really like the style his teams play and they his kids play hard for him. He has also said about recruiting I’m only going to recruit the best of the best out of high school and he’s 100% in on NIL. I say get Golden and roll with it.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT