ADVERTISEMENT

How does this work?

Jan 11, 2016
Nobody knows what’s gonna happen in the next few weeks. Let’s say Cal does sep down or he’s fired. Doesn’t matter either way. I would think if that is the case it will happen within the next week? Any thoughts on that? The longer you wait the harder it is for a new coach to put a roster together for next year.

With that said, I thought hard about this last night. Most probably won't agree but here it is. I really hope the rumors of Scott Drew being the number one candidate is not true. If that’s the case our program will be in for another 10 years of mediocrity. Drew is not the answer. Here’s the hard part, I almost rather have two more bad years of Cal and wait for the right candidate whoever that might be. Two more years of Cal would be a lot cheaper to get rid of him. Scott Drew would be an automatic 10 more years of mediocrity I guarantee it. Now, if there’s a chance that we can get a top-tier coach this year, which I don’t think will happen. Pull the trigger. I just don’t see Dan Hurley, Nate Oates, Bruce Pearl, Billy Donovan, Brad Steven’s and a few others leaving their current jobs for Kentucky this year. We are not Indiana yet but you higher a coach like Scott Drew after the bullshit we’ve had the last four years that’s where we will be in 10 years. Replacing Cal cannot be done with emotion. It needs to be thought out and it needs to be the right guy. There needs to be a plan in place and not just fire the guy and see who we can get. That’s how you end up with another Billy Gillespie..

Reactions: Farsight
If Cal goes, then I think Pearl is a great stop gap for 5-10 years. I think Pearl would be at UK the day after Auburn loses. But Mitch wouldn't do that.

Reactions: sdryan2
I'd take the Oakland coach at this point.
This is exactly what I’m talking about in my thread. This decision cannot be made with emotion. It needs to be a thought out process and we must get the right guy. I understand you’re pissed at Cal now but if we get the wrong guy what’s going to change nothing. Kentucky will not accept anything but excellence and that’s why everyone is so upset with Cal right now including myself. I want him gone as much as anyone. I just want the process done correctly and the right guy for the job whoever that may be. And I really don’t think Scott Drew is the answer.

If Cal goes, then I think Pearl is a great stop gap for 5-10 years. I think Pearl would be at UK the day after Auburn loses. But Mitch wouldn't do that.
Exactly, Pearl would be an amazing coach at Kentucky. It will never happen though. Our inept Athletic Director would never do that. This is exactly how we ended up with Billy Gillespie and I just don’t want that to happen again.

This is exactly what I’m talking about in my thread. This decision cannot be made with emotion. It needs to be a thought out process and we must get the right guy. I understand you’re pissed at Cal now but if we get the wrong guy what’s going to change nothing. Kentucky will not accept anything but excellence and that’s why everyone is so upset with Cal right now including myself. I want him gone as much as anyone. I just want the process done correctly and the right guy for the job whoever that may be. And I really don’t think Scott Drew is the answer.
The Oakland coach makes 329k. Let's roll. Out coached our 10 million dollar man

It's been said before, but it bears repeating. Mitch cannot be allowed to pick the next coach. He has as much blood in his hands as Cal does.
💯, i’m not sure if that’s an option for him not to make the decision that is what the university hires him to do. With that being said, you would think someone up high in the university would have some common sense about them. See that he is not the guy to be running the search for a new coach. Who knows.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
Nobody knows what’s gonna happen in the next few weeks. Let’s say Cal does sep down or he’s fired. Doesn’t matter either way. I would think if that is the case it will happen within the next week? Any thoughts on that? The longer you wait the harder it is for a new coach to put a roster together for next year.

With that said, I thought hard about this last night. Most probably won't agree but here it is. I really hope the rumors of Scott Drew being the number one candidate is not true. If that’s the case our program will be in for another 10 years of mediocrity. Drew is not the answer. Here’s the hard part, I almost rather have two more bad years of Cal and wait for the right candidate whoever that might be. Two more years of Cal would be a lot cheaper to get rid of him. Scott Drew would be an automatic 10 more years of mediocrity I guarantee it. Now, if there’s a chance that we can get a top-tier coach this year, which I don’t think will happen. Pull the trigger. I just don’t see Dan Hurley, Nate Oates, Bruce Pearl, Billy Donovan, Brad Steven’s and a few others leaving their current jobs for Kentucky this year. We are not Indiana yet but you higher a coach like Scott Drew after the bullshit we’ve had the last four years that’s where we will be in 10 years. Replacing Cal cannot be done with emotion. It needs to be thought out and it needs to be the right guy. There needs to be a plan in place and not just fire the guy and see who we can get. That’s how you end up with another Billy Gillespie..

This is the dumbest type of logic. Wait two more years and hope someone better emerges? Not an acceptable plan. Hire the best out there and build them up.

Waiting longer is what makes us Indiana.

Cal isn’t going anywhere he won’t leave and is bulletproof his lack of urgency proves it. Guy knows he has KY by the balls and said so last weekend after the brackets were released. Hanging on to CAL is letting him torch and burn another part of the program to the ground.

Reactions: bluecoon1
If Mitch chooses then it's a total dice roll as to whether we get a good pick or bad.

Don't forget that Cal can become an ambassador to the University, and I don't doubt that he might try and leverage his current financial position to have a hand in picking the next coach. That scares me almost as much as Mitch picking.

If Cal has a hand in it then you should look at Archie Miller. That's his cousin.

If Mitch chooses then it's a total dice roll as to whether we get a good pick or bad.

Don't forget that Cal can become an ambassador to the University, and I don't doubt that he might try and leverage his current financial position to have a hand in picking the next coach. That scares me almost as much as Mitch picking.

If Cal has a hand in it then you should look at Archie Miller. That's his cousin.
Probably Tony Barbee, Bruiser Flint or Brad.

• Haha
Reactions: entropy13
Out of everyone the two best candidates are Dan Hurley and Bruce Pearl. Why?

Dan Hurley has had the best team in the country two years in a row. He made an offensive philosophy change, last year and made sure Hawkins had several plays to make big shots. That guy was a stud. He also developed Senago, a big man who was a beast around the rim. I think he only lost those 2 starters. Everyone came back. He doesn't care about the NBA because he said that if you're meant for the NBA it will come. Dan Hurley may not have the UK personality, but right now he is at his prime coaching.

Bruce Pearl by far has the best personality for UK and can handle it. He's hungry, he wants a title. He truly cares. He plays a good offense and can recruit. He keeps players around. He may have one or two players leave, but doesn't push it out. Tennessee would not be were they are today without Bruce Pearl. Auburn would not be were they are without Bruce Pearl. I think he's just an older hungry version of Pitino when he first started his tenure at Kentucky.

Bruce Pearl to keep it rolling with no letdown. Todd Golden for a young up and comer. Will Wade with a middle finger to the NCAA. Hurley doesn’t have the temperament but he is the best coach.

Mitch might not have a choice. I don’t think he would have ever hired Calipari. The next coach is who the big wigs want, not Mitch.
My understanding is that he passed on Cal the first time and hired the drunk. Even after the drunk was fired and the program was in a lurch they had to twist Mitch's arm to get him to hire Cal.

Reactions: TriCountyCat
No chance UK’s lazy ass AD is going to hire someone that only has 5 years or so left. He would have to conduct another search in 5 years which would require his lazy ass to do his job.

Mitch might not have a choice. I don’t think he would have ever hired Calipari. The next coach is who the big wigs want, not Mitch.
I think I recall Mitch hired a committee to find the next coach, and they unanimously said Calipari was the one he needed to hire. Of course he's going to need a wealthy committee to gather and discuss how the hell they pay off Cal to leave, but that same committee should be able to help Mitch with the next hire as well.

There are only a few and most have been mentioned here repeatedly. Unfortunately, I don't think Hurley leaves UCONN as many might now see that program as equivalent, if not a better job. Jay Wright isn't coming out of retirement and has already said the reason he left was due to NIL and transfer portal crap. That leaves Pearl, Drew or Lloyd, with the latter two the most obvious choices after Hurley due to age and a lack of a history of cheating (although wasn't Drew recently involved in some stink at Baylor for recruiting??).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT