ADVERTISEMENT

I’m so glad Cal is gone, but…

Dec 5, 2007
Lexington
I do think he will be (re)motivated, fired up, and has the tools to succeed there with NIL money and what not.

The problem with Cal at Kentucky is he became fat, lazy and complacent with that lifetime contract.

He will be highly motivated now to prove to Kentucky and everyone that he still can win. It’s just a shame he was so lazy, stubborn and combative here for the last 5 years.

I for one will look back at Cal’s time as nothing but wasted opportunities.

I’m excited to have a guy on the sideline actually coaching again.

I am of the belief that the game just past him by. Can't be convinced that a change of scenery is going to all of a sudden make him a great coach again. If it were that easy, should have been doing that here instead of watching Kentucky Basketball go all to hell with all-time low points in program history. He was stealing money here, just mailing it in. Too stubborn in his own ways that his way will work and will never change. We all know that. Crean-level IU teams from '12-16 may be the ceiling for him.

We will see. The past 4-6 seasons he was getting blasted every offseason for lackluster results. These critics grew in number and got louder every year he underperformed. And every offseason we’d have posters saying, “did you hear what so and so is saying?!?! Man Cal is going to fired up this season!!”

This thought process got especially popular after 9-16. He said things like he would remember who talked bad about UK while we were down and this and that. And again, “did you hear Cal????? He’s gonna be fired up!!! Saggy Cal alert!!!”

Now, there’s a chance it’s for real this time. And if it is, well it just is what it is. He was never going to get reenergized here. He proved that over and over. If he wasn’t leaving we’d still have a team next season that had at least 6/13 players being freshman (7/13 if he brought in McNeely) and I suspect Wagner would be back (I do suspect Wagner transfers and follows him to Ark). I didn’t really see us pursuing anyone terribly interesting in the portal and he certainly wasn’t willing to cut freshman to make room for portal guys.

So if he stayed I think, at best, it was another 10-12 loss season and we end on the bubble or NIT. We are not losing an energized Calipari, even if that’s what Ark is getting. And I personally suspect that he won’t do well there. I’m not cheering for his demise, but karma usually has a way of working itself out.

Edit: swaggy got autocorrected to saggy… not even mad lol

We will see. The past 4-6 seasons he was getting blasted every offseason for lackluster results. These critics grew in number and got louder every year he underperformed. And every offseason we’d have posters saying, “did you hear what so and so is saying?!?! Man Cal is going to fired up this season!!”

This thought process got especially popular after 9-16. He said things like he would remember who talked bad about UK while we were down and this and that. And again, “did you hear Cal????? He’s gonna be fired up!!! Saggy Cal alert!!!”

Now, there’s a chance it’s for real this time. And if it is, well it just is what it is. He was never going to get reenergized here. He proved that over and over. If he wasn’t leaving we’d still have a team next season that had at least 6/13 players being freshman (7/13 if he brought in McNeely) and I suspect Wagner would be back (I do suspect Wagner transfers and follows him to Ark). I didn’t really see us pursuing anyone terribly interesting in the portal and he certainly wasn’t willing to cut freshman to make room for portal guys.

So if he stayed I think, at best, it was another 10-12 loss season and we end on the bubble or NIT. We are not losing an energized Calipari, even if that’s what Ark is getting. And I personally suspect that he won’t do well there. I’m not cheering for his demise, but karma usually has a way of working itself out.
Couldn’t agree more with all of that

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Another thing i think of is the last several years we sucked at offense and were ok at best at defense. Think if you didn’t have Reed/Rob/Antonio lighting it up from 3 this year and you had this defense. Man it would have been ugly.

He had to go. Only thing now is Barney doesn't fumble the ball. A 33 mil weight is gone.
Fumble GIF by SB Nation

if he beats us a couple times, so be it. i rather take that and get to feel what it’s like to win 25 games again. and not lose to sacred heart of mary in the nit.

Reactions: taydaddy
Wish we could manage to keep a couple recruits especially Fland.
Have no idea how this impacts Adou.

Gonna look good when Hurley or Oats is blasting him in that red pullover. With his gut spiling out.

Reactions: KFuqua

I think the players leaving hinges on the next hire. I mean you tell the class they can play for Cal or Hurley/Oats. I mean cmon. I know these guys want to get to the NBA asap. But you'd have to think they'd do a double take.

He’s always been a mediocre in game coach. What allowed him to excel in his early years at UK was the transcendent recruits. Unless he changes his philosophy and embraces the transfer portal—which I find highly unlikely—I don’t think he excels at Arky. Prolly similar results to his last 5 seasons here. Decent reg season with tourney flame outs most of the time. Winning at an elite level with freshmen laden rosters in no longer viable times have changed.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I'm furious he has the audacity to go to a different SEC school. It really shows just how checked out he'd became here. Him showing interest in the Ohio State job makes perfect sense why this loaded team shit the bed in March. He simply didn't care and was already ready to move on. I'm scared to death the narrative is gonna turn into we ran off a HOF coach and all our top choices turn us down.

Reactions: sambowieshin
I think the players leaving hinges on the next hire. I mean you tell the class they can play for Cal or Hurley/Oats. I mean cmon. I know these guys want to get to the NBA asap. But you'd have to think they'd do a double take.
I agree. I don’t think Cal job hunting has been a secret within the program. At least amongst the team and MB. And I’m holding out hope that surefire lottery pick Reed Shepard is considering returning if we land a solid hire and brings with him a solid team.

I’m thinking Hurley and Oates fulfill this scenario. And I know the odds are still way higher that we do land one of those guys and Reed still goes to the nba. And honestly, the odds are probably higher that we hire Hurley as HC and Oates as an assistant but I am pumped right now.

And hiring Hurley or Oates and having them bring their players and recruits plus Reed coming back is just way too much fun to dream about until it’s confirmed he’s gone. And I’m usually such a realist!

I agree. I don’t think Cal job hunting has been a secret within the program. At least amongst the team and MB. And I’m holding out hope that surefire lottery pick Reed Shepard is considering returning if we land a solid hire and brings with him a solid team.

I’m thinking Hurley and Oates fulfill this scenario. And I know the odds are still way higher that we do land one of those guys and Reed still goes to the nba. And honestly, the odds are probably higher that we hire Hurley as HC and Oates as an assistant but I am pumped right now.

And hiring Hurley or Oates and having them bring either bring their players and recruits plus Reed coming back is just way too much fun to dream about until it’s confirmed he’s gone. And I’m usually such a realist!
I think the hire will be Oats, which I wil be ecstatic with. Hurley might use us as leverage for a raise.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
He wanted to get as many wins as necessary, with the least amount of effort. Cal was obsessed with the NBA and making his kids rich, to the point that he was hiding the fragile ones out of fear that they'd suffer a draft-busting injury, and promoting kids into minutes they didn't deserve in order to get their numbers up. In March he tightened up because his kids were thinking about June, and at that point he never developed his team properly. Vicious cycle, brought on by only Calipari. Maybe he'll be all about Arkansas, and not constantly promoting the NBA. I doubt it.

Wow this is a big surprise I am glad he is gone but I am surprised that Ark would want him they just got rid of one losing coach.

You hit the nail on the head. I already told the Arkansas fans on YouTube videos to be ready to get great classes, and have all the talent they can handle. Then I told them to be prepared for the pre season hype only to be beaten by every good team you play early, and to enjoy the 2-3 inevitable losses to teams he should beat rolling out of bed. Enjoy Freshman who don’t deserve minutes getting all they can handle, enjoy a decent winning streak here or there only to finish 3-4th in the SEC because you lost to Vandy or Mizzou 2-3 times. Then enjoy the hyped up postseason with the flame out first round in the SECT and real tourney.

Everyone in this needed a change of scenery. Cal clearly didn’t want to give up any control or be held to higher expectations and be accountable to the administration or the fanbase. He is a good dude and in time will be appreciated more but his welcome had clearly ran its course. He’ll do well in Arkansas but is model doesn’t work and his stubbornness to change it will follow him. He didn’t leave to have less control, this was all about him doing what he wanted and how he wanted. He’ll make them better day 1, but he won’t be in the title hunt there unless be embraces everything he failed to embrace here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT