ADVERTISEMENT

Rather than regressing, John Calipari is on a recruiting roll — with more to come

Cal does need to win another championship and I do think it will happen soon. Dean Smith is the first coach that comes to mind when talking about a coach who has done less with more than any coach ever. The thing about Smith is he had the best players for years and had them 3 and 4 years and still only won 2 and 1 of them was given to him. Cal would have won more for sure if he had had some of his players for at least 2 years, but still most people do not give Cal credit for being a good coach and praise Smith.
Bro having the best talent don't always guarantee success, really think cal has done outstanding job since he has been at uk

Tell me this (not just you but anyone): How often do people talk about how Dean Smith under-performed considering the talent he had? Happens all the time, especially on boards like these.
How many times must it be pointed out? Dean Smith dominated recruiting, and had the benefit of fielding teams that had juniors and seniors. The '84 team that lost to IU - Michael Jordan was a junior, Sam Perkins was a senior, etc. That's why Dean Smith is criticized for failing to deliver more titles relative to the talent he had. Calipari never has that luxury - he relies mostly on freshmen. And the criticism he takes is a classic case of moving the goal posts. When Cal first got here, people rolled their eyes at his master plan - "does he think he can win a title relying on freshmen? that's stupid". Then, he actually did just that, and now the complaint is "he ought to do that every year considering the talent he gets!"

As for his legacy - Calipari was a first ballot, still in his 50s Hall of Famer. I think his legacy is safe. If what you mean is people will criticize him, well, big deal - people criticize all kinds of things every day. Doesn't make it legit.

This is no different than every year he's been here with Cal ..... he's had no problems landing players 6-25 in the rankings.... and his first 6 years he had no problems landing the top 5..... but here recently its the top 5 players he's "regressed" on..... and we still havent landed a top 5 player.

So lets go get Wiseman.. Carey... have Maxey keep playing amazing so he can get into the top 5..... and get that best of the best mojo back..

Love to see us win #9. We will always have a chance to be in the mix with Cal as our leader. National Championships are extremely difficult to win as we all should know. Yes I know Villanova has been successful lately, but the last team to win 2 within a short period of time is even more difficult to do. Everything has to fall perfectly in place. How many teams can you name that you think should of been the NC that lost out? I think we have a great chance to win won this year and next for sure, but the team has to be great, lucky and everything has to fall in place. Lets not put too much pressure on our team just yet. I dis-agree that it means nothing if we don't win a NC. Yes I want it as bad as anyone, but I just try to be realistic until the tournament begins and I see how we are playing and where we are bracketed and whose in our bracket. With all that said lets go get number 9. Well, we first must believe before it can become a reality. Right?

This is the lie our fanbase has been led to believe. Sorry but everything fell perfectly this year and we stb. 75%?of our all time at Uk talent under cal sorry but he should already have 2. And it’s not just nova UNCheat has 2 in 10!years as does duke. Don’t even get me going on uconn or our run in the 90s.

Well, you can keep beating that drum all you want, but it's not going to change the fact that until he wins a second title, Cals tenure here will be viewed as a failure. You can keep bring up the history before he got here all you want also, but he's making a ton of money to do better than the coaches before him. (Take Coach Rupp out of this discussion)
A "failure"?! Meh, that's a tad bit extreme.

Actually it does matter. It is stated he has all of this NBA talent- as if it is NBA ready talent which of course is absurd.
I also like the people who state Cal can’t win with a roster of young talent while at the same bitching Cal hasn’t won more titles with all of that young talent. [roll]
This.

a failure would of been not winning any titles....... it would be a little disappointing though...

People who just hate UK.... we're never going to get respect from them... if cal won 4 titles... they'd bash us and cal for not going on a UCLA run of 10 titles because of the recruiting we have.... So they'll say we are a failure no matter what and the media members who hate us will write stuff like that once Cal's tenure is over but just ignore it... ... Cal won a title and with that... no way in the world you can honestly say thats a failure..

It's amazing what you can accomplish when your competitors aren't allowed to hand out stacks of cash anymore.

Bro having the best talent don't always guarantee success, really think cal has done outstanding job since he has been at uk
Correct, also the best team doesn't always win, but having the best talent makes it a whole lot easier. He has done an outstanding job since he's been here, I think he does need another championship in the next two years to get the credit he deserves.

A "failure"?! Meh, that's a tad bit extreme.
Perhaps, but the National perception will be just that. Look, Cal has done some great things here, but a lot of us were expecting at least two titles by this time. We haven’t even been to a Final Four since 2015. I know, Irishcat will go on about our history and give us the amount of final fours and titles over the last trillion years of UK Basketball. I think he’s posted it 12 trillion times now. But, didn’t you think when Cal was hired, and he was given total control, and more money than God, that he was going to obliterate all that history and win multiple titles, and dominate CBB? Be honest with yourselves, didn’t that scenario cross your mind?

Yeah, he’s done just fine as it stands now. But, I for one, thought he was the guy that would take us to UCLA type of dominance, and he’s fallen well short of that, to say the least.

Reactions: crpoore
Anybody who thought that was a fool. What we all wanted but anybody who expected that has no concept of college basketball

Anybody who thought that was a fool. What we all wanted but anybody who expected that has no concept of college basketball
I don’t think anyone expected it, but most fans I know thought that Cal would have more than a single title after nine seasons. Jay Wright and Villanova have 2 titles in three seasons. Jay has neither the resources, or nearly the support that Cal has. Not to mention the talent over the last nine years.

It’s time Cal quits making excuses, and starts winning titles. He’s the second highest paid coach in CBB, with that good fortune, comes responsibility.

I remember the nancy's on here in a panic and some "journalists" writing articles about it.

Amazing that the phonies in durham won those back to back titles with those unbeatable classes and teams they had.....oh wait

OK, Sunshine Pumpers, listen up:

Cal's going to put 50 players in the NBA. His success in that regard will be unparalleled. IF he never wins another title, he won't be considered a failure -- that's a big, ugly word. BUT, it will, and should be, considered a MASSIVE disappointment. And his legacy will suffer, like it or not.

Feel free to bash. But you will be wrong and I will be right.
Were the Hall, Pitino, and Tubby era's all failures as well?

Cal is Cal. I'm not worried about our FIFTEEN national titles in 100 years. I want another legacy coach. That's all that matters now as far as Cal goes. I feel like we have to force him to win it now. We all should apply mad pressure to him for his own good.
I want to believe you are kidding. Please be kidding.

Wasn't too long ago people were putting up polls on here and saying Cal would never win another title here. Oh how things change. Recruits are pouring in and Cal seems dialed in on what he needs. I truly believe Cal wins another title in the next 3 years. Want to say next 2 years, but hedging a bit. If the recruits keep coming I could see 2 final fours in the next 3 years and at least one title. I believe that summer trip helps a lot with us always having young teams. I know it did last time. #9 is close, I can feel it.
Well till he does the polls are right

a failure would of been not winning any titles....... it would be a little disappointing though...

People who just hate UK.... we're never going to get respect from them... if cal won 4 titles... they'd bash us and cal for not going on a UCLA run of 10 titles because of the recruiting we have.... So they'll say we are a failure no matter what and the media members who hate us will write stuff like that once Cal's tenure is over but just ignore it... ... Cal won a title and with that... no way in the world you can honestly say thats a failure..
No. Not a failure or close to it, but he will be forever in the class as Tubby, only one title. Ok Tubs was here 10 years and won a title Cal 9 years, one title.

I don’t think anyone expected it, but most fans I know thought that Cal would have more than a single title after nine seasons. Jay Wright and Villanova have 2 titles in three seasons. Jay has neither the resources, or nearly the support that Cal has. Not to mention the talent over the last nine years.

It’s time Cal quits making excuses, and starts winning titles. He’s the second highest paid coach in CBB, with that good fortune, comes responsibility.
Yes, let's fire Cal and get Jay Wright until he doesn't win it every other year then we need to hire that guy until....well you know. That's surely a great recipe for success.

Orrrrrr, we could ignore your idea completely.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Program was a dissster when Csl showed up. We were almost Indiana bad. Championship, final games and final fours and some dumb asses question whether Cal has been a success.
Another simple minded post. You’re not worth debating with. If you think everything’s perfect and nothing needs to change, then why in the hell are you posting on here?

Reactions: crpoore
That's funny. I seldom post and I usually don't take a stand about much. So I think you most definitely have me confused with someone else. But no matter.

Tell me this (not just you but anyone): How often do people talk about how Dean Smith un der-performed considering the talent he had? Happens all the time, especially on boards like these.

Like it or not, Cal's legacy will suffer with only one title.

How many UK coaches prior to Cal won two titles? Does that mean we have had a history of failures since Rupp? Darn, I thought our program was elite.

*sad walk past red dog house*

Well, you can keep beating that drum all you want, but it's not going to change the fact that until he wins a second title, Cals tenure here will be viewed as a failure. You can keep bring up the history before he got here all you want also, but he's making a ton of money to do better than the coaches before him. (Take Coach Rupp out of this discussion)

you might have 1000's of post here but to say Cal is a failure is just plain stupid and there is nothing you can to change with such a dumb statement.

This is no different than every year he's been here with Cal ..... he's had no problems landing players 6-25 in the rankings.... and his first 6 years he had no problems landing the top 5..... but here recently its the top 5 players he's "regressed" on..... and we still havent landed a top 5 player.

So lets go get Wiseman.. Carey... have Maxey keep playing amazing so he can get into the top 5..... and get that best of the best mojo back..

I remember people pitching the strategy of recruiting the lower ranking 5 stars to have more second and third year players on the team. Now that he is doing that others are bemoaning that he focus on the top 5-8. His recruiting has been at a historic level...just won't please everyone unless he wins another championship.

I remember people pitching the strategy of recruiting the lower ranking 5 stars to have more second and third year players on the team. Now that he is doing that others are bemoaning that he focus on the top 5-8. His recruiting has been at a historic level...just won't please everyone unless he wins another championship.

Then the question comes that he should win back to back. ;)

you might have 1000's of post here but to say Cal is a failure is just plain stupid and there is nothing you can to change with such a dumb statement.

He didn't say that. He said it will be SEEN as a failure, and rest assured, that's how most will view it. We ripped Dean Smith to shreds over winning 2 titles with all of those players. If Cal remains at UK 15+ with the kind of names he has, we will be defending his legacy until we're gone. I do not want that. Some people will tell you none of that matters, in truth it does.

We all understand that he's only got them for one year, that KAT wasn't the NBA KAT for his one season, that Booker and Ulis were green, but here's what the rest of college fans and casual people will see

Wall
Bledsoe
Cousins
Patterson
Knight
Randle
AD
MKG
KAT
BAM
Fox
Etc

And one title.

He needs his second ring badly. I think he will.

Perhaps, but the National perception will be just that. Look, Cal has done some great things here, but a lot of us were expecting at least two titles by this time. We haven’t even been to a Final Four since 2015. I know, Irishcat will go on about our history and give us the amount of final fours and titles over the last trillion years of UK Basketball. I think he’s posted it 12 trillion times now. But, didn’t you think when Cal was hired, and he was given total control, and more money than God, that he was going to obliterate all that history and win multiple titles, and dominate CBB? Be honest with yourselves, didn’t that scenario cross your mind?

Yeah, he’s done just fine as it stands now. But, I for one, thought he was the guy that would take us to UCLA type of dominance, and he’s fallen well short of that, to say the least.
I guess Dean Smith, a Hall of Fame coach, is a failure in your eyes. He was at North Carolina 36 years with the best talent in college basketball year in and year out. He only won 2 titles in 36 years. Get a life.

You don’t comprehend very well. I’m tired of idiots like you twisting words around. I’ve been a defender and supporter of Cal since he was at freaking Memphis. You little arrogant piece of crap is not going to get away with lying about things I’ve posted. I’ll repeat this to your little feeble mind.

If Cal doesn’t win a second title at UK, the NATIONAL PERCEPTION will be that his tenure at Kentucky was a failure.

It will also be viewed by a lot of others that it was a failure.

I don’t know what rock you crawled out from under, but you probably should crawl back in.

The lack of respect you showed me is exactly what’s wrong with pieces of trash like you.

I put my money where my mouth is. I support UK athletics whether they suck or not. I’ve been a season ticket holder for 26 freaking years for our usually awful football team, and a season ticket holder for basketball for the last 8 seasons. I also support both the Women’s team and the baseball team. I’ve been to countless SEC, NCAA tournament games, not to mention every football bowl game since 1984.

I guarantee your loser ass hasn’t done crap when it comes to supporting UK.

If I haven’t earned a GD right to voice my freaking opinion on our program, then nobody has.

He didn't say that. He said it will be SEEN as a failure, and rest assured, that's how most will view it. We ripped Dean Smith to shreds over winning 2 titles with all of those players. If Cal remains at UK 15+ with the kind of names he has, we will be defending his legacy until we're gone. I do not want that. Some people will tell you none of that matters, in truth it does.

We all understand that he's only got them for one year, that KAT wasn't the NBA KAT for his one season, that Booker and Ulis were green, but here's what the rest of college fans and casual people will see

Wall
Bledsoe
Cousins
Patterson
Knight
Randle
AD
MKG
KAT
BAM
Fox
Etc

And one title.

He needs his second ring badly. I think he will.
We need you to wise up badly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT