ADVERTISEMENT

Rather than regressing, John Calipari is on a recruiting roll — with more to come

Love to see us win #9. We will always have a chance to be in the mix with Cal as our leader. National Championships are extremely difficult to win as we all should know. Yes I know Villanova has been successful lately, but the last team to win 2 within a short period of time is even more difficult to do. Everything has to fall perfectly in place. How many teams can you name that you think should of been the NC that lost out? I think we have a great chance to win won this year and next for sure, but the team has to be great, lucky and everything has to fall in place. Lets not put too much pressure on our team just yet. I dis-agree that it means nothing if we don't win a NC. Yes I want it as bad as anyone, but I just try to be realistic until the tournament begins and I see how we are playing and where we are bracketed and whose in our bracket. With all that said lets go get number 9. Well, we first must believe before it can become a reality. Right?

Last edited:
Yeah like we were winning a title every other year before he got here. A coach can only do so much, some on here don't like to hear it but other things goes into winning a title than just talent and coaching. Injuries, matchups and I believe lot of luck.
Very true. But name one team that has won it with a team full of freshmen? Anthony Davis is not walking thru that door

Agree, it is hard to do with freshman but anything can happen when it comes to the ncaa tournament. I love watching the young guys grow through out the year.

Yeah like we were winning a title every other year before he got here. A coach can only do so much, some on here don't like to hear it but other things goes into winning a title than just talent and coaching. Injuries, matchups and I believe lot of luck.
We’re probably only a John Higgins away from having 3 championships.

Cal does need to win another championship and I do think it will happen soon. Dean Smith is the first coach that comes to mind when talking about a coach who has done less with more than any coach ever. The thing about Smith is he had the best players for years and had them 3 and 4 years and still only won 2 and 1 of them was given to him. Cal would have won more for sure if he had had some of his players for at least 2 years, but still most people do not give Cal credit for being a good coach and praise Smith.

Cal does need to win another championship and I do think it will happen soon. Dean Smith is the first coach that comes to mind when talking about a coach who has done less with more than any coach ever. The thing about Smith is he had the best players for years and had them 3 and 4 years and still only won 2 and 1 of them was given to him. Cal would have won more for sure if he had had some of his players for at least 2 years, but still most people do not give Cal credit for being a good coach and praise Smith.
If Cal could keep his guys like Smith did he would have at least three by now.

He’s a helluva recruiter for sure, but it’s time to win a second title. Anything short of that now, means little.
Hmmm. Did the 107 years of Kentucky basketball history in which the team didn’t win the title mean little? I found the 2014 run to the title game one of the most fun times I have experienced as a UK fan. Same with the 2011 team.

He’s a helluva recruiter for sure, but it’s time to win a second title. Anything short of that now, means little.

Oh but according to Cal the greatest day in UK basketball history was all those players getting drafted.

That’s all fine and good but I’m a UK fan first so excuse me when I don’t do cartwheels in my living room on NBA draft night.

Hmmm. Did the 107 years of Kentucky basketball history in which the team didn’t win the title mean little? I found the 2014 run to the title game one of the most fun times I have experienced as a UK fan. Same with the 2011 team.
Well, you can keep beating that drum all you want, but it's not going to change the fact that until he wins a second title, Cals tenure here will be viewed as a failure. You can keep bring up the history before he got here all you want also, but he's making a ton of money to do better than the coaches before him. (Take Coach Rupp out of this discussion)

Well, you can keep beating that drum all you want, but it's not going to change the fact that until he wins a second title, Cals tenure here will be viewed as a failure. You can keep bring up the history before he got here all you want also, but he's making a ton of money to do better than the coaches before him. (Take Coach Rupp out of this discussion)
He will not be a failure . Four final fours two championship game and a title does not make anyone a failure.

Very true. But name one team that has won it with a team full of freshmen? Anthony Davis is not walking thru that door
We don’t have a team full if freshmen.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Oh but according to Cal the greatest day in UK basketball history was all those players getting drafted.

That’s all fine and good but I’m a UK fan first so excuse me when I don’t do cartwheels in my living room on NBA draft night.

Cartwheels? Really? Why be so dramatic? Lol who in the hell expects you to do “cartwheels” in your living room on draft night ... smh

OK, Sunshine Pumpers, listen up:

Cal's going to put 50 players in the NBA. His success in that regard will be unparalleled. IF he never wins another title, he won't be considered a failure -- that's a big, ugly word. BUT, it will, and should be, considered a MASSIVE disappointment. And his legacy will suffer, like it or not.

Feel free to bash. But you will be wrong and I will be right.

Reactions: KyFaninNC

Cal's going to put 50 players in the NBA. His success in that regard will be unparalleled. IF he never wins another title, he won't be considered a failure -- that's a big, ugly word. BUT, it will, and should be, considered a MASSIVE disappointment. And his legacy will suffer, like it or not.

No reason to bash you but you’re just wrong.

A “massive disappointment?” That seems a bit embellished... a disappointment if he doesn’t win 2 titles while at UK? Sure maybe... but a “MASSIVE disappointment” ( with massive in caps?) Nah...

You are wrong just like you always are on everything you post about.

Not even close. Lol

Reactions: Mr_GG
You are wrong just like you always are on everything you post about.

That's funny. I seldom post and I usually don't take a stand about much. So I think you most definitely have me confused with someone else. But no matter.

Tell me this (not just you but anyone): How often do people talk about how Dean Smith under-performed considering the talent he had? Happens all the time, especially on boards like these.

Like it or not, Cal's legacy will suffer with only one title.

That's funny. I seldom post and I usually don't take a stand about much. So I think you most definitely have me confused with someone else. But no matter.

Tell me this (not just you but anyone): How often do people talk about how Dean Smith under-performed considering the talent he had? Happens all the time, especially on boards like these.

Ehh. If Cal were to retire right now he’d go down as possibly THE most successful coach in UK history. If that’s a “suffered legacy” I’ll still take it.

He has legitimately given us the most success in the the history of our program sans MAYBE the Rupp days ... which TV literally wasn’t a thing then and people were still living the after effects of the Great Depression, and the cost of a brand new house was like $7,000 ... that’s how long ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: awf

You talk about 50 players going to NBA. Yet it is always talked here about most of them aren’t ready for the NBA when they go. So one can’t talk about how Cal has all of this NBA talent then at the same time talk about they aren’t ready to go to the NBA. And Cal has been at UK 9 years- Smith was at UNC over 30 years. Coach K didn’t win a title in his first ten years in spite of going to multiple final fours.

You talk about 50 players going to NBA. Yet it is always talked here about most of them aren’t ready for the NBA when they go. So one can’t talk about how Cal has all of this NBA talent then at the same time talk about they aren’t ready to go to the NBA. And Cal has been at UK 9 years- Smith was at UNC over 30 years. Coach K didn’t win a title in his first ten years in spite of going to multiple final fours.

It doesn't really matter if they're ready or not. They still go. And you make a very good point about Dean Smith.

Wasn't too long ago people were putting up polls on here and saying Cal would never win another title here. Oh how things change. Recruits are pouring in and Cal seems dialed in on what he needs. I truly believe Cal wins another title in the next 3 years. Want to say next 2 years, but hedging a bit. If the recruits keep coming I could see 2 final fours in the next 3 years and at least one title. I believe that summer trip helps a lot with us always having young teams. I know it did last time. #9 is close, I can feel it.

Cal is Cal. I'm not worried about our FIFTEEN national titles in 100 years. I want another legacy coach. That's all that matters now as far as Cal goes. I feel like we have to force him to win it now. We all should apply mad pressure to him for his own good.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Ehh. If Cal were to retire right now he’d go down as possibly THE most successful coach in UK history. If that’s a “suffered legacy” I’ll still take it.

He has legitimately given us the most success in the the history of our program sans MAYBE the Rupp days ... which TV literally wasn’t a thing then and people were still living the after effects of the Great Depression, and the cost of a brand new house was like $7,000 ... that’s how long ago.

Now Frank you're going to have to explain to me how Cal could possibly be close to the tier of Rupp.

You've got 5 minutes.

Kevie wevie is a moron as he shows everytime he starts pounding the keyboard.

Finally clicked on this thread to see why it had so many replies and now I get it. Only on Rafters.

Eight months ago Cal couldn't recruit with Duke and we were embarrassed and angry and doomed. And now that he's recruiting better it doesn't matter because until he wins a title we can't be happy and when he wins it it'll be overdue and should have been his third or fourth.

I don't know why people have hobbies that make them miserable.

Program was a dissster when Csl showed up. We were almost Indiana bad. Championship, final games and final fours and some dumb asses question whether Cal has been a success.

Reactions: Bluegrassking
It doesn't really matter if they're ready or not. They still go. And you make a very good point about Dean Smith.
Actually it does matter. It is stated he has all of this NBA talent- as if it is NBA ready talent which of course is absurd.
I also like the people who state Cal can’t win with a roster of young talent while at the same bitching Cal hasn’t won more titles with all of that young talent. [roll]

ADVERTISEMENT