ADVERTISEMENT

John Clay on this team

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
The glamour doesn’t matter. The windmill dunks, the crossover dribbles, the behind-the-back passes, the hero ball. They don’t mean a thing. All those five-star rankings and recruiting lists are entirely meaningless if your team refuses to do what truly matters to win basketball games.
This Kentucky basketball team doesn’t do the dirty work. It just doesn’t. It doesn’t guard. It doesn’t rebound. it doesn’t block out. It doesn’t accumulate floor burns. Those are the things you don’t see in the highlight reel but make all the difference. This Kentucky team doesn’t do those things.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/john-clay/article285325432.html#storylink=cpy

The glamour doesn’t matter.

The windmill dunks, the crossover dribbles, the behind-the-back passes, the hero ball. They don’t mean a thing. All those five-star rankings and recruiting lists are entirely meaningless if your team refuses to do what truly matters to win basketball games.

This Kentucky basketball team doesn’t do the dirty work. It just doesn’t. It doesn’t guard. It doesn’t rebound. it doesn’t block out. It doesn’t accumulate floor burns. Those are the things you don’t see in the highlight reel but make all the difference. This Kentucky team doesn’t do those things.

To that end, John Calipari got one thing right after Kentucky’s 89-85 loss to Gonzagaon Saturday. The coach’s late-game play call, in which the Bulldogs easily intercepted Reed Sheppard’s in-bounds lob pass to Adou Thiero, was misguided from the minute he drew it up. (When was the last time the Wildcats executed a late-game play call, by the way?) That one play didn’t cause Kentucky’s first three-game home losing streak since before men walked on the moon.

What cost Kentucky the game Saturday was 50/50 balls. The loose balls that either team has a legitimate chance to grab. In Saturday’s first half, Gonzaga grabbed every one. Or so it seemed. The Zags both outhustled and outsmarted the Cats. Pure and simple.

“Just disappointing that we got beat to so many balls,” Calipari said.

That’s not just disappointing, it’s inexcusable. Your talent level might be out of your control, but your effort is not. Loose balls are hustle plays. So is rebounding. Gonzaga outrebounded the Cats 43-31. Mark Few’s team collected 18 offensive rebounds out of 37 opportunities for a jaw-dropping 48.6%, the third UK opponent this season to top 48%. The Zags did so against a team that played three 7-footers.

UK’s lack of success on the glass only exacerbates its chronic problems on the defensive end. After Tuesday’s 109-77 romp at Vanderbilt, Calipari said he just needed his team to be “8 to 10% better on defense.” Saturday, they were at least 10% worse. You didn’t have to be a Basketball Bennie to figure out Few’s game plan. Feed the post. Again and again. UK had no answer. The result: Gonzaga scored 50 points in the paint.

(Kentucky dropped from No. 105 to No. 124 in Ken Pomeroy’s adjusted defensive efficiency rankings, but my guess is that by now you’re sick of KenPom numbers.)

UK missed Tre Mitchell on Saturday. There’s no denying that. The 6-foot-9 forward is not only a shooting and passing threat on the offensive end, but he also the best rebounder on a team that struggles to rebound. A back problem kept Mitchell out of his second straight game. The first one didn’t matter. Saturday did.

And yet, Calipari said something else disturbing after the Vanderbilt game: “I’ve told them, if you don’t dive on the floor, you’re coming out.”

That was a red flag right there. Basketball players shouldn’t have to be told to dive on the floor. It should be their instinct, their foundation, their desire. Hustle is a basic fundamental of a game that is much more than “wow” plays and scoring averages. You don’t have to be a five-year veteran to dive for a loose ball. Freshmen are allowed to do that, too.

“It’s all stuff we can clean up,” Calipari said Saturday before adding, “Thank goodness we have time.”

Do they? Selection Sunday is five weeks away. Twenty-three games into the season, it’s obvious the Hall of Fame coach hasn’t improved the weaknesses of his young team. That’s on him and his staff. And I have a far bigger problem with this team’s lack of progress than Calipari playing Rob Dillingham just 18 minutes.

Cal’s message to the fans on Saturday was, “Stick with them.” He should have said “Stick with us.” The head coach is not separate from his team. They’re in this thing together.

And until Calipari’s team starts doing the dirty work required, there’s not enough time in the world to make all the glamour matter.

TLDR team is soft like its coach. This is Ca’s one and done model at its absolute worst. Loyalty to sports agencies so they keep feeding you players, players mysteriously hurt after being benched, random hero ball and soft play. All because they know they’re NBA bound in 3 months.

The windmill dunks, the crossover dribbles, the behind-the-back passes, the hero ball. They don’t mean a thing. All those five-star rankings and recruiting lists are entirely meaningless if your team refuses to do what truly matters to win basketball games.

To that end, John Calipari got one thing right after Kentucky’s 89-85 loss to Gonzagaon Saturday. The coach’s late-game play call, in which the Bulldogs easily intercepted Reed Sheppard’s in-bounds lob pass to Adou Thiero, was misguided from the minute he drew it up. (When was the last time the Wildcats executed a late-game play call, by the way?) That one play didn’t cause Kentucky’s first three-game home losing streak since before men walked on the moon.

What cost Kentucky the game Saturday was 50/50 balls. The loose balls that either team has a legitimate chance to grab. In Saturday’s first half, Gonzaga grabbed every one. Or so it seemed. The Zags both outhustled and outsmarted the Cats. Pure and simple.

That’s not just disappointing, it’s inexcusable. Your talent level might be out of your control, but your effort is not. Loose balls are hustle plays. So is rebounding. Gonzaga outrebounded the Cats 43-31. Mark Few’s team collected 18 offensive rebounds out of 37 opportunities for a jaw-dropping 48.6%, the third UK opponent this season to top 48%. The Zags did so against a team that played three 7-footers.

UK’s lack of success on the glass only exacerbates its chronic problems on the defensive end. After Tuesday’s 109-77 romp at Vanderbilt, Calipari said he just needed his team to be “8 to 10% better on defense.” Saturday, they were at least 10% worse. You didn’t have to be a Basketball Bennie to figure out Few’s game plan. Feed the post. Again and again. UK had no answer. The result: Gonzaga scored 50 points in the paint.

(Kentucky dropped from No. 105 to No. 124 in Ken Pomeroy’s adjusted defensive efficiency rankings, but my guess is that by now you’re sick of KenPom numbers.)

UK missed Tre Mitchell on Saturday. There’s no denying that. The 6-foot-9 forward is not only a shooting and passing threat on the offensive end, but he also the best rebounder on a team that struggles to rebound. A back problem kept Mitchell out of his second straight game. The first one didn’t matter. Saturday did.

And yet, Calipari said something else disturbing after the Vanderbilt game: “I’ve told them, if you don’t dive on the floor, you’re coming out.”

That was a red flag right there. Basketball players shouldn’t have to be told to dive on the floor. It should be their instinct, their foundation, their desire. Hustle is a basic fundamental of a game that is much more than “wow” plays and scoring averages. You don’t have to be a five-year veteran to dive for a loose ball. Freshmen are allowed to do that, too.

“It’s all stuff we can clean up,” Calipari said Saturday before adding, “Thank goodness we have time.”

Do they? Selection Sunday is five weeks away. Twenty-three games into the season, it’s obvious the Hall of Fame coach hasn’t improved the weaknesses of his young team. That’s on him and his staff. And I have a far bigger problem with this team’s lack of progress than Calipari playing Rob Dillingham just 18 minutes.

Cal’s message to the fans on Saturday was, “Stick with them.” He should have said “Stick with us.” The head coach is not separate from his team. They’re in this thing together.

And until Calipari’s team starts doing the dirty work required, there’s not enough time in the world to make all the glamour matter.
This is all on Cal. Instead of sending a message and finding 5 players, no matter what their position my be, to do things mentioned here Cal’s #1 objective is playing guys based on their recruiting numbers. Sitting the bench fixes everything. Entitlement does nothing as we have seen.
A coach that’s so dumb that he won’t play zone when a team scores 50 in the paint or know how to run an effective last possession play prevents any hope to hang another banner. Cal is not doing what his paid to do and from my perspective is stealing from UK. Used to think he was great but now I have no respect for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
UK players don't box out, it's sad to watch and novice level sh*t.
What the hell are they doing in practice? Stop, I know. Tons of individual drills and 5 on 5. Cal has one of the highest paid staffs in the country And they can’t box out, dive for loose balls, keep two hands up on defense etc etc. I mean just basic fundamentals are missing. And this guy is getting paid 8 million?

Cal is out of excuses at this point..THIS was supposed to be the team, experience talent and a new offensive coach he hired, plus he had the guards to run HIS offense...We as a fan base DESERVE better than this, and the sad part is that he just doesn't give a shit anymore and it shows on the court and his demeaner toward us.

Cal was told they don't play defense in the NBA...

vu5tnxa.png

This is all on Cal. Instead of sending a message and finding 5 players, no matter what their position my be, to do things mentioned here Cal’s #1 objective is playing guys based on their recruiting numbers. Sitting the bench fixes everything. Entitlement does nothing as we have seen.
A coach that’s so dumb that he won’t play zone when a team scores 50 in the paint or know how to run an effective last possession play prevents any hope to hang another banner. Cal is not doing what his paid to do and from my perspective is stealing from UK. Used to think he was great but now I have no respect for him. Anyone who thinks it’s okay to kneel during our National anthem is someone I won’t support.
"finding 5 players no matter what ..." As long as 1 of them is Dillingham etc. And do what I did in HS ball etc.

"okay to kneel etc." Which is where the froth comes from.

Any bets that lots of the frothers are okay with ignoring the Constitution?

Reactions: cocheese51
No adjustments - Gonzaga ran that same plays and Calipari still did not respond to stop those from happening.
Horrid line ups - putting in three bigs who have not offense and poor defense instead of leading with his best efficiency players that produce points on the boards.
Poor rebounding and defense - all as a result of NOT being addressed in practices.

What is going on in practice and during half time? This is clearly a coaching issue and if Calipari is too tired or not astute enough to figure out how to manage a basketball team, it is time to move on from him and find a coach who can do what is best for THE TEAM to get wins and back to the SEC and NCAA championships. Watching another Calipari coached team be fundamentally flawed while oozing loads of potential talent is not what KY needs. They need a coach who believes that winning and preserving a school's tradition in a sport is a priority.

Ready for a coaching change.

This needs to be read at the beginning (and end) of every practice, before every game, and at every halftime.

And just think, UK has Bama, Auburn, LSŪ, and the Vols, plus a decent Ole Miss team on the schedule. No guaranteed wins with any of those teams. It's going to be interesting to see how the season plays out.

Reactions: Fox2monk

Preach!!!

The glamour doesn’t matter. The windmill dunks, the crossover dribbles, the behind-the-back passes, the hero ball. They don’t mean a thing. All those five-star rankings and recruiting lists are entirely meaningless if your team refuses to do what truly matters to win basketball games.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/john-clay/article285325432.html#storylink=cpy
Well I blame the coaching staff for most of this. My question do they even work on defensive fundamentals, and blocking out etc. If it is not stressed by the coaches the players are not going to do it.

Well I blame the coaching staff for most of this. My question do they even work on defensive fundamentals, and blocking out etc. If it is not stressed by the coaches the players are not going to do it.
I don’t blame it on the staff, I blame the head coach. He hires the staff designs the offense and defense and sets the tone. The staff does his bidding.

UK players don't box out, it's sad to watch and novice level sh*t.

The only big that boxes out is big z. That's literally it.

I remember when we lost kp, many of us pointed out we needed a great hire to replace the best at developing bigs.

This group needs KP in the worst way. They can't defend the ball screen at all. They can't rebound. Barely any post moves other than what they brought with them.

Frustrating.

Of course cal could help them by actually playing zone but ya

Desire isn't enough. I'm told by Calbois that our players aren't athletic enough to dive on the floor.

If they don't do these things now, like they did early in the season, it's because they know it doesn't translate to a starting role or increased playing time. If your coach is playing favorites rather than giving time to people that earn it, wtf would anyone outside of his favorites hustle like that? And why should his favorites hustle if they get to start no matter what?

Decisions have consequences. UK's coach has chosen poorly repeatedly, and it's on him.

A coach that’s so dumb that he won’t play zone when a team scores 50 in the paint or know how to run an effective last possession play prevents any hope to hang another banner. Cal is not doing what his paid to do and from my perspective is stealing from UK. Used to think he was great but now I have no respect for him. Anyone who thinks it’s okay to kneel during our National anthem is someone I won’t support.
You think these players care. Shaden Sharpe refused to play and what did it get him. Only two or three on this team actually care.

I think because they have played and now would get benched would possible impact their draft stock. Especially since Cal had never done that. Again proof that the players come before winning at UK.

Reactions: NociHTTP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT