ADVERTISEMENT

Possible coach no one has mentioned.

Check him out. Ben McCollum at Northwest Missouri State. Won the D2 National in 2017 with a 35-1 record. 2019 with a 38-0 record. 2021 with a 28-2 record and 2022 with a 35-5 record. Merits a call from Mitch if you ask me.
I hope Mitch isn't using Google for his coach search.

This guy is more interesting than all the retreads parroted lately on this board. Retread options is likely the reason Barnhart is struggling with an outright firing at this point. A serious look at this type of coach is how you have to do it but to just laugh it off immediately is just dumb. That's how we end up with a dud-hire ... something we can't afford. Apparently, the guy can coach and has the resume to back it up. It's about the ability to "coach" and win. He's done that against similar caliber-talent in his conference. All great coaches have to start somewhere and sometimes you have to have a little faith and make confident decisions with the best information available.

Check him out. Ben McCollum at Northwest Missouri State. Won the D2 National in 2017 with a 35-1 record. 2019 with a 38-0 record. 2021 with a 28-2 record and 2022 with a 35-5 record. Merits a call from Mitch if you ask me.
Ben McCollum is not leaving NW Missouri St. for UK! Are you drunk, delusional, or both? First Hurley now McCollum? Seriously?

Guys, stop with these coaching candidates that are way above UK’s standards, and stick with someone more realistic like the HC of the Owensboro Red Devils, or someone similar!

My old intramural coach was pretty good and a solid dude. Mitch oughta give him a look too.

I hate to be this person, and this is by no means of defense of Cal, but being good at coaching basketball is only a part of the equation for this job.

The successful candidate has to be able to schmooze, handle intense fan scrutiny, kiss babies and coach basketball. Pardon me for not being confident a DII coach could handle this job.

Reactions: WildcatFan60
This guy is more interesting than all the retreads parroted lately on this board. Retread options is likely the reason Barnhart is struggling with an outright firing at this point. A serious look at this type of coach is how you have to do it but to just laugh it off immediately is just dumb. That's how we end up with a dud-hire ... something we can't afford. Apparently, the guy can coach and has the resume to back it up. It's about the ability to "coach" and win. He's done that against similar caliber-talent in his conference. All great coaches have to start somewhere and sometimes you have to have a little faith and make confident decisions with the best information available.

Totally agree. We need to hire a good up and coming who can coach and will not require a long contract or a lot of money. We don't need a burnt out 30 yr coach just to say we have a name, that will require a long contract and a lot of money. Someone whose already has a NC and his best yrs behind him. After all he will not bring that NC with him. Chances are he will never win another. He will come for the money. If you hire one already burnt out may as well keep Cal.

Last edited:
I assume you mean for the women's vacancy?

Totally agree. We need to hire a good up and coming who can coach and will not require a long contract or a lot of money. We don't need a burnt out 30 yr coach just to say we have a name, that will require a long contract and a lot of money. Someone whose already has a NC and his best yes behind him. After all he will not bring that NC with him.
Yes ... and Pitino nor Cal had NC to bring with them. Fans usually lose their collective minds at times like this and set up collossal mistakes. This guy can apparently coach and, like you say, you don't have to break the bank to give him a shot. If he works out, you win with a young coach and could be set for some time looking ahead. The old big-name retreads will look at UK and think they can demand another stupidly high dollar contract that we can't really afford. This certainly makes more sense than anything I've seen thus far ... beside the group is almost ALWAYS wrong so those here, in mass, who immediately dismiss this guy is proof he could very well be the guy. If "this" guy isn't interested ... he's the type of hire we need ... an actual coach.

Reactions: dl51344
To all you morons who made the snide remarks, notice I didn’t say hire him, just make an inquiry to see if he would be interested. Mitch would have to interview him to see if he is up to handling a job like ours. Obviously he can coach. With better talent and UK resources he might knock it out of the park. But that is for Mitch to decide. Thank God Mitch doesn’t rely on some know nothings like the nay sayers here to make a decision. See how that works? Grow up.

Ben is probably going to get the Okie State job. And if Cal is still the coach at UK next year, he'd probably coach the Cowboys to a W against the fat poser's team. But agreed, he's not an option. But about three years after he takes a P5 D-I job, he will be.

To all you morons who made the snide remarks, notice I didn’t say hire him, just make an inquiry to see if he would be interested. Mitch would have to interview him to see if he is up to handling a job like ours. Obviously he can coach. With better talent and UK resources he might knock it out of the park. But that is for Mitch to decide. Thank God Mitch doesn’t rely on some know nothings like the nay sayers here to make a decision. See how that works? Grow up.
LOL ... tell it like it is. Mitch should consider any and everyone who has demonstrated the ability to coach the game to WIN. There should be no issue at all looking at the guy. He's done his part in regard to the coaching game ... he's just gone out and WON in his arena. What's the problem?

Compare and contrast.

All those remarks saying that anyone is better and all of the negatives about every candidate mentioned.

Not bad.

I say all the time whether it's on Lair threads during carousel season and CMS is getting phone call from top tier programs...there are a lot of outstanding coaches at the 1-AA and D2 levels. Guys who have built great programs and won a lot of games.

Same applies to basketball.

This specific guy seems to be fairly entrenched there as it's his alma mater and he's going on 15 years there.

I do like the idea though if push came to shove, Cal gets booted, and the top names either say no or demand a stupid contract like Cal's...F em...go get a guy like this dude.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT