ADVERTISEMENT

Poor coaching by Oregon...

Ripcord65

Senior
Apr 29, 2009
You get to an 18-point lead, and then you quit playing the way you were playing when you got that 18-point lead in the first place. Reminds me of U.K.

They're gonna hold on to win, but this was a poorly coached game. They stopped playing the last 14 minutes.

It's puss. Play the game stop taking your teams out of games trying to let the clock decide it early. It fails in huge games most of the time.

Play. To. Win. Don't. Play. Not. To. Lose.

Football coaches figured out prevent D sucks when will basketball
Coaches get the memo?

They won,
But if Kansas hits at a decent clip, they don't.

Yep. The coaching turned out O.K. for Oregon . . . just like it has for the 'Cats so many times this season.

Congratulations to the Ducks.

Now let's see if we can get another game from the 'Cats on Sunday like the one we got from them on Friday. If so . . . I'll look forward to seein' all of y'all out here in The Valley of The Sun next weekend !

Go 'Cats ! ! !

Hate the 'play not to lose' philosophy but Altman is damn good coach. Had he not backed out of the Arkansas job that program would be completely different now

Reactions: KYExtemper
I'll agree with the stupidly of running shot clock vs trying to score but tonight I'll give Kansas' defense much of the credit for Oregon's offensive woes in the second half. I'm just glad Kansas couldn't take advantage on their offensive end.

Reactions: musrat59
I don't think it was his strategy. I do think he wanted to manage the clock but I think his guys panicke a little AND KU really tightened up their D in the last five minutes. If their D had played that way the whole game they'd have had a shot.

Reactions: Blueaz
For those who think the ends justified the means here, Oregon got very lucky. They were only up six, missed a wild, contested three, but got a very fortunate long rebound and were able to drain more clock. If Kansas got that rebound and scored, I think the collapse could have been much more likely.

It's puss. Play the game stop taking your teams out of games trying to let the clock decide it early. It fails in huge games most of the time.
I think the more accurate explanation is that you're more likely to take note when it fails.

Coaches play conservative second halves with big leads all the time - rarely does a 15 point halftime lead end up at 30.

Usually, they just keep it in that 12-20 range until the end as part of a low risk low reward strategy.

That happens hundreds of times in a season, but only when the other team manages to whittle away at the lead despite the conservative play does anyone make note.

I think the more accurate explanation is that you're more likely to take note when it fails.

Coaches play conservative second halves with big leads all the time - rarely does a 15 point halftime lead end up at 30.

Usually, they just keep it in that 12-20 range until the end as part of a low risk low reward strategy.

That happens hundreds of times in a season, but only when the other team manages to whittle away at the lead despite the conservative play does anyone make note.

I think it works most of the time when you're the superior team and it's a basic game. I've seen it bite teams plenty in the tournament over the years. A good example is '15 Kentucky. Oregon almost did it last night. Just play. If we get a 8 point lead with 8 minutes to go, I don't mind being patient, but letting shot clocks run out and never getting a good shot because you're playing not to lose will get you beat if you're not careful.

You realize that Cal does the same thing every game too, right? We always stop attacking when we have a good lead.

I thought South Carolina did a great job of continuing to play with a lead vs Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT