ADVERTISEMENT

My coaching

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
I have the deepest bench of any college team and will use them to my advantage which is to wear down my opponent and dictate the game I want to play. I have seen my current team is best in early shots and up-tempo. I am going to full court, half court, ball pressure pressing to speed up the game and take my opponent out of their comfort to just relax and shoot wide open set 3's. To do so, I need my rim protector, so Ugo, Bradshaw, and Z are rotated in that low post spot and not doing the switching taking them away from their position. I am not playing two of them at the same time unless necessary as my offense has been awesome with the way it was (note last two games Cal did play two at the same time).

I actually will coach during the game instructing my individual players on what to do and especially on what not to do. Bradshaw I am glad you hit a 3 against Florida but you are not to take those shots in the first half for sure or in a tight game. Every shot counts and outside shooting is not your stellar skill or our need. D.J. what were you doing walking the ball up the court and then doing the drives too far away from the basket? I am coaching you to make your drive off a screen and not on on one with defenders waiting on you. Reed, shoot the ball as you are a great outside threat. However, I will now structure more plays to screen and get you open or again since we will be playing up-tempo like before you have the green light. In fact, I may start you with Dillingham, Reeves, Mitchell, and Z. Again, don't worry as I will have set substitutions of one player for each and not just different untried combinations. Edwards, I am sorry but until you show me the willingness to rebound and play with strength I have to decrease your minutes. But, coming off the bench with enthusiasm and effort after the other team is worn down after the first 10 plus minutes you may find yourself developing and playing well.

Of course there are more issues but fellow coaches I will listen if you want to add them? That's another strength of my coaching, I listen to my assistants and yes I am not opposed to a zone as well.

Agreed with most of this post. Also focusing on instruction on individual skill and fundamentals development. Coaching is far more than lineups and substitutions although many fans seem to think that's the answer to everything.

I have the deepest bench of any college team and will use them to my advantage which is to wear down my opponent and dictate the game I want to play. I have seen my current team is best in early shots and up-tempo. I am going to full court, half court, ball pressure pressing to speed up the game and take my opponent out of their comfort to just relax and shoot wide open set 3's. To do so, I need my rim protector, so Ugo, Bradshaw, and Z are rotated in that low post spot and not doing the switching taking them away from their position. I am not playing two of them at the same time unless necessary as my offense has been awesome with the way it was (note last two games Cal did play two at the same time).

I actually will coach during the game instructing my individual players on what to do and especially on what not to do. Bradshaw I am glad you hit a 3 against Florida but you are not to take those shots in the first half for sure or in a tight game. Every shot counts and outside shooting is not your stellar skill or our need. D.J. what were you doing walking the ball up the court and then doing the drives too far away from the basket? I am coaching you to make your drive off a screen and not on on one with defenders waiting on you. Reed, shoot the ball as you are a great outside threat. However, I will now structure more plays to screen and get you open or again since we will be playing up-tempo like before you have the green light. In fact, I may start you with Dillingham, Reeves, Mitchell, and Z. Again, don't worry as I will have set substitutions of one player for each and not just different untried combinations. Edwards, I am sorry but until you show me the willingness to rebound and play with strength I have to decrease your minutes. But, coming off the bench with enthusiasm and effort after the other team is worn down after the first 10 plus minutes you may find yourself developing and playing well.

Of course there are more issues but fellow coaches I will listen if you want to add them? That's another strength of my coaching, I listen to my assistants and yes I am not opposed to a zone as well.
if only UK had a coach that understood the game and how it needed to be played in order to take advantage of the teams abilities.

With this group, how far would Pitino bury people?

Unfortunately, CCC is not mentally sharp enough to keep up with the pace of that type game .

Or Tubby? Can you imagine Tubby's D with guys this skilled offensively? Tubby showed he could score points when he had the players. Bottom line is that I've been done with Cal since he values NBA status over wins. Pitino and Tubby would never do that.
Respectfully, Tubby started and played his son over the much better Hawkins.

if only UK had a coach that understood the game and how it needed to be played in order to take advantage of the teams abilities.

With this group, how far would Pitino bury people?
I think on defense, he would employ some sort of triangular defense to help on rim protection, and switch off on the best outside shooter. And he would beat it into guys' heads that if you have the ball under the basket and can dunk without taking a running 2-step jump, then DO NOT bring the ball down. This team is simply not being worked hard enough on offense (very rare to see a cut or even give-and-go), and being asked to cover for guys who either need to do their own damn job or be seated.

Respectfully, Tubby started and played his son over the much better Hawkins.
Sorry as I was mixing threads there. Cliff Hawkins yes. It was a crime that happened. Still my point stands that Tubby's D would be head and shoulders above where Cal has us with these guys.

Wrote this in response to a separate post earlier today about CCC and style of play.

“Quite frankly he is not an X's and O's type of coach. Of course, I have never been to a practice but watching him over the years on the bench, he just does not seem to have a high basketball IQ. Motivator, psychologist - maybe and could be successful if he has the knowledgeable basketball people on his staff that can teach and is willing to listen to them. He has had rosters full of athletes most years, yet he seldom uses this advantage. Play a style like Pitino did at UK and Nolan R. did at Arkansas. Press full court the whole game and run, run, run. Most teams do not have the depth or athletes to survive this pressure for 40 minutes. They get fatigued and make mistakes while your players are fresh as they have gotten adequate rest throughout the game.”

We average 90 pts a game because we pressure their defense by advancing the ball quickly upcourt. Conversely. We should pressure their offense with fullcourt defense. Use the depth, everyone gets minutes and contributes, best way to win.

Reactions: crestcat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT