ADVERTISEMENT

This "Big Z is lost on defense" garbage

Mike-McD

Junior
Aug 3, 2022
Who on this team isn't? Except maaaaaaaybe Thiero.

At worst he gives up 2 pointers, way less than Shep and Edwards fouling three point shooters.

Two pointers don't beat you in today's game. Three point plays beat you.

And he'll get better.

And his offensive potential is off the charts.

He just needs a little playing time and some...coaching...? Well, okay, some playing time, then.

At worst he gives up 2 pointers, way less than Shep and Edwards fouling three point shooters.

And he'll get better.

He just needs a little playing time and some...coaching...? Well, okay, some playing time, then.
Agreed.

DJ and Thiero are our toughest defenders. Think Burks could be if he got more time.

Ugo and Reed are really good situational defenders. Elite at some things, but bad at others.

I think Cal planned to give Z a lot of time tonight and play through some stuff, but the refs had other plans.

He is raw for sure. It isn't just his defense either. He can't handle transition very well and he has major trouble establishing position down low.

His shooting is sweet though. I say give him some run at the three and four. He can't be worse than Edwards.

He is raw for sure. It isn't just his defense either. He can't handle transition very well and he has major trouble establishing position down low.

His shooting is sweet though. I say give him some run at the three and four. He can't be worse than Edwards.
It's an exaggeration to say he has "MAJOR" trouble down low. He's gotten some rebounds and putbacks tonight. He may have "occasional" trouble, but not MAJOR trouble. Lay off the guy, he barely gets to play and he's a potential highlight reel waiting to happen.

Agreed.

DJ and Thiero are our toughest defenders. Think Burks could be if he got more time.

Ugo and Reed are really good situational defenders. Elite at some things, but bad at others.

I think Cal planned to give Z a lot of time tonight and play through some stuff, but the refs had other plans.

Can't blame the refs. Z actually should have gotten another foul on a moving screen. He has to use his ability better and avoid fouling.

Can't blame the refs. Z actually should have gotten another foul on a moving screen. He has to use his ability better and avoid fouling.
If only we had a paid position that was designed to teach stuff like that.

Oh well. I guess he can always watch youtube to learn it.

Reactions: Fox2monk

Z is a 4 imo. Has the skills to be an elite 4 at the next level.

Really wish he'd stick around another year and put on about 20 lbs this summer, but oh well.

Z needs to play on the perimeter. He’s not a back to the basket talent. He has good BB IQ and a nice 3-stroke. Typical Euro big.man who has trouble guarding quicker players. I’d play a zone with him in the game and let him play the 4 spot on offense.

He's 7'2.... And multiple possessions he has his hands down by his side. Also telling he has three fouls in a hurry. Offensively, he's great! But on THIS team, we already have enough scorers. Take up space, block some shots, and go get me some defensive rebounds. Add that to his offensive game and he'd see the floor at lot more. It's not rocket science or a conspiracy.

Post officiating is atrocious. Z needs to pick his man up higher, and put his knee in the ass of his man.

Last edited:
Eh maybe. Think 2 of those fouls on him were weak. Could call those on nearly every possession on either team.

Kind of like holding in football. The refs just selectively decide when to call those ticky tack fouls.

It's not that I'm say they aren't fouls, but either call them all or let them play. Don't single some players out.

I just wish any of our bigs would put hands up and attempt to challenge a shot. Teams scoring at the rim and Zs hands at his side…..grrr

Reactions: plumdog69

And he'll get better.

Does any of our big guys have any hands?

Eh maybe. Think 2 of those fouls on him were weak. Could call those on nearly every possession on either team.

Kind of like holding in football. The refs just selectively decide when to call those ticky tack fouls.

It's not that I'm say they aren't fouls, but either call them all or let them play. Don't single some players out.
💯💯💯They have stuck a few of those bs fouls in Bradshaw too.

Reactions: WildcatNC

Agreed.

Ironic thing is that Z was known for his defense in FIBA. He had an offensive game then too but his rim protection is what made him so valuable. Most scouts said he needed to improve his perimeter defense because his feet were slow.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT