POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Z, I've been saying the same things for a long time on here too. Not so much about the rich as it was about the jobs being outsourced.
In my mind NAFTA may be the worst piece of legislation passed in my lifetime, maybe even longer.
It's lead to hopelessness for millions of Americans. Hardworking, prideful people that lost a job that supported their families. Now they depend on the Govt to survive, it burns my ass every time I think how we were sold out.

It's no coincidence that the rise in drug use ballooned during this same timeframe.
Employers also provided insurance, without that we now have obamacare.

None of this shit is going to change until we demand it. I'm sick of of the bullshit diversions that come up every election cycle, abortion, gay marriage, guns, global warming, war on women now we are supposed to mad about GD transgendered bathroom rights, I'm f*cking sick of it!
We're giving our great nation away to make a few jackasses in Washington and New York filthy rich, to hell with them. We've got people who no longer see it as a disgrace to be on govt handouts, they grew up that way, and so did most of their friends.
Something HAS to change, the path we're on doesn't end well I'm afraid.
I'm not sure there is a solution to the outsourcing problem. Governments cannot change economics. The world has become a global marketplace. It has become fairly easy to manufacture a variety of products where inexpensive labor is available. As our standard of living rose, we priced ourselves out of being able to competitively manufacture certain products. A government cannot change that reality. Is the solution to tax imports so that televisions, etc., cost as much as they would if they were manufactured here? How does that improve the standard of living in this country? Even if such action brought back some manufacturing, those products could never be sold outside the united states because they would be too expensive compared with their global competitors manufactured with low cost labor. I think the current problem has more to do with basic economics than politics.

I try to buy American when I have a choice, but many people will not pay more for a comparable American made product.

Reactions: From-the-stands
The solution to the jobs crisis is to create new industries. The problem is, the industries we are creating right now are mostly tech entrepreneurs creating software that doesn't need massive work forces to make massive piles of cash.

We need to get the eff to Mars, is what we need to do.

I'm not sure there is a solution to the outsourcing problem. Governments cannot change economics. The world has become a global marketplace. It has become fairly easy to manufacture a variety of products where inexpensive labor is available. As our standard of living rose, we priced ourselves out of being able to competitively manufacture certain products. A government cannot change that reality. Is the solution to tax imports so that televisions, etc., cost as much as they would if they were manufactured here? How does that improve the standard of living in this country? Even if such action brought back some manufacturing, those products could never be sold outside the united states because they would be too expensive compared with their global competitors manufactured with low cost labor. I think the current problem has more to do with basic economics than politics.

I try to buy American when I have a choice, but many people will not pay more for a comparable American made product.
We can now buy a 32" high def flat screen for half the cost of an equivalent old analog TV set etc, etc.......Traditional American workers have to adjust or not. Or decide to not let the big corporations and the wealthy profit without giving something back for your vote. Meanwhile the price of anything you can't import, like health care or a college education, is soaring through the roof. That's why Trump and Bernie are the most popular guys left. They get the frustration.

The United States IS the marketplace. We didn't price ourselves out of the market.

All we did was allow plants and factories in the US to move, tske advantage of third world labor , then ship the product back here. It's insanity how people just come to accept things.

Do you not understand how many plants have and continue to move?
The problem is economics, but it was created by politics passing shitty legislation that has hurt the average American.

Reactions: WayneDougan
We can now buy a 32" high def flat screen for half the cost of an equivalent old analog TV set etc, etc.......Traditional American workers have to adjust or not. Or decide to not let the big corporations and the wealthy profit without giving something back for your vote. Meanwhile the price of anything you can't import, like health care or a college education, is soaring through the roof. That's why Trump and Bernie are the most popular guys left. They get the frustration.

Awesome, we can buy cheap TV's that we got cash for from selling food stamps for 50 cents on the dollar.
Americans in general need to realize that when jobs are outsourced it affects more than just the laid off worker.

Well the cheap products mean the companies here can be competitive and pay less too.

We are stupid enough to fall for symbolism and keeping up with the Jones. But the sad truth is 2 cars, 2-3 TVs, rent instead of mortgage, and credit card debt is not success it's slavery!

Awesome, we can buy cheap TV's that we got cash for from selling food stamps for 50 cents on the dollar.
Americans in general need to realize that when jobs are outsourced it affects more than just the laid off worker.

That's your big beef - but I bet you voted for Romney, right?

Of course, no one realizes how much they support globalization until they are burned by it.

Everyone hated the I told you so kid growing up, and clearly there is a lot of I told you so going on here and dems hate it.

The United States IS the marketplace. We didn't price ourselves out of the market.

All we did was allow plants and factories in the US to move, tske advantage of third world labor , then ship the product back here. It's insanity how people just come to accept things.

Do you not understand how many plants have and continue to move?
The problem is economics, but it was created by politics passing shitty legislation that has hurt the average American.
We are the largest economy, true. But that over simplifies the problem. There are other large markets in the world besides the US. Many of the companies that manufactured products in the US are foreign companies who also manufacture products in other places. How do you prevent companies from manufacturing products in places where they can compete with other companies doing the same thing? Lets use televisions as an example. We had several tv manufactures in this country, zenith, magnovox, philco, etc. If manufacturers like Sony, Toshiba, Samsung, etc., are manufacturing their products in places that allow them to manufacture the product at a much lower cost, how do you prevent US manufacturers from doing the same? What do you think the government can do to change the fact that economics are driving the production of the product to low wage places? Trying to force a company to carry an artificially high cost structure for its product just invites competitors to come in and take market share and ultimately put it out of business.

Concentrating on our infrastructure would create a ton of jobs, but how do we pay for these projects without piling on more debt? So much red tape and corruption that come with these projects that it will cost three times as much to get done as long as the government has their hands on it.

Concentrating on our infrastructure would create a ton of jobs, but how do we pay for these projects without piling on more debt? So much red tape and corruption that come with these projects that it will cost three times as much to get done as long as the government has their hands on it.

You're right about red tape and corruption....anything government puts its hands on becomes a complete mess. I am completely, totally against hand-out programs including welfare, faux disability, tax returns in excess of taxes actually paid, food stamps without restrictions on what can be bought, etc... However, I would not mind paying higher taxes IF it put these people to work doing things like building trails, cleaning parks, building public buildings, providing security for schools, cutting weeds, etc... IMO, if we give people a productive job and a purpose, most will prosper...many will flourish.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
You're right about red tape and corruption....anything government puts its hands on becomes a complete mess. I am completely, totally against hand-out programs including welfare, faux disability, tax returns in excess of taxes actually paid, food stamps without restrictions on what can be bought, etc... However, I would not mind paying higher taxes IF it put these people to work doing things like building trails, cleaning parks, building public buildings, providing security for schools, cutting weeds, etc... IMO, if we give people a productive job and a purpose, most will prosper...many will flourish.

Plus if they see actual work is required, maybe they'll get an actual job and get off the teeth.

Right now, if someone is on the draw, they'd be stupid to work unless the job pays about 50k. The quality of life they can and do enjoy is mind blowing

Corporations got just as much welfare as the Poors. But nobody says shit about that. Why? Well, Poor people are vulnerable and corporations are not. Poors are an easier target. Corporations are ruining this country.

$1.4 million in Marijuana taxes in Colorado will be given to the homeless of the state.

Federally legalize marijuana, prostitution, and gambling and take the tax payers off the hook for social welfare.

Oh, and get rid of corporate welfare. No corporation should get one cent from any tax payer

We are the largest economy, true. But that over simplifies the problem. There are other large markets in the world besides the US. Many of the companies that manufactured products in the US are foreign companies who also manufacture products in other places. How do you prevent companies from manufacturing products in places where they can compete with other companies doing the same thing? Lets use televisions as an example. We had several tv manufactures in this country, zenith, magnovox, philco, etc. If manufacturers like Sony, Toshiba, Samsung, etc., are manufacturing their products in places that allow them to manufacture the product at a much lower cost, how do you prevent US manufacturers from doing the same? What do you think the government can do to change the fact that economics are driving the production of the product to low wage places? Trying to force a company to carry an artificially high cost structure for its product just invites competitors to come in and take market share and ultimately put it out of business.

First of all I'm not saying every single product sold in the US needs to be made in the US.

Its not complicated, you want a part of it either pay a tariff for your product to enter the country or move your plant here to produce the product.

Relaxing those tariffs are what directly led to US companies moving to third world nations. NAFTA has failed on all of its promises, we were told it would bring mexico up to our standard of living, has it?

Tariffs were put in place to prevent whats happening from taking place. Our govt removed those protections, and the US middle class has paid for it.

Think it's coincidence that once jobs moved infrastructure started to deay?

Corporations got just as much welfare as the Poors. But nobody says shit about that. Why? Well, Poor people are vulnerable and corporations are not. Poors are an easier target. Corporations are ruining this country.

$1.4 million in Marijuana taxes in Colorado will be given to the homeless of the state.

Federally legalize marijuana, prostitution, and gambling and take the tax payers off the hook for social welfare.

Oh, and get rid of corporate welfare. No corporation should get one cent from any tax payer

How is giving them 1.4 million dollars going to aleviate their situation? Being on the Govt teet is the issue, not where the money comes from.

Govt assistance IS the problem, people need jobs.

That's the best idea I've ever heard. It makes good sense, and work would never run out.

Problem is you'd have to run it privately, because local govt (in my town at least) wouldn't handle it. Then they would make you jump through all kinds of hoops, and then The Public would get wind of it, and they would ultimately decide that they do want no damn doper homeless man working on their damn streets picking up their damn trash where they damn kids play!!!! CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!

But, yea, that's a great idea and one that should be feasible, imo. I could see Lexington doing it somehow.

First of all I'm not saying every single product sold in the US needs to be made in the US.

Its not complicated, you want a part of it either pay a tariff for your product to enter the country or move your plant here to produce the product.

Relaxing those tariffs are what directly led to US companies moving to third world nations. NAFTA has failed on all of its promises, we were told it would bring mexico up to our standard of living, has it?

Tariffs were put in place to prevent whats happening from taking place. Our govt removed those protections, and the US middle class has paid for it.

I'm torn on tariffs. They're a limitation on the free market, but obviously much needed to reverse the nafta catastrophe

All you anti-trade guys crack me it up. It's a GLOBAL economy. GLOBAL! And if it hurts you, your family, your city, your state or even your country, you still need to support it. So stop burying your heads in the sand and realize that if Zhou Zou from Ghanzou will do your job for $1.59 per hour, that's your new labor rate.

PS - we need to be vigilant about copyright and patent protections. Protectionism is good from that respect.

Protectionism always works! Literally can't think of dozens of examples where it failed miserably and worsened lives.

Infrastructure, unless done on the scale of pre-WWII works projects (and I'm sure everyone here wants that tax/debt burden) is another panacea promised to cure our labor woes. Just break a few windows then the government can hire all kinds of people to fix 'em! Maybe hire the guy to break them in the first place! No more unemployment!

Protectionism always works! Literally can't think of dozens of examples where it failed miserably and worsened lives.

Infrastructure, unless done on the scale of pre-WWII works projects (and I'm sure everyone here wants that tax/debt burden) is another panacea promised to cure our labor woes. Just break a few windows then the government can hire all kinds of people to fix 'em! Maybe hire the guy to break them in the first place! No more unemployment!

What we're doing now is failing miserably. The middle class is shrinking before our very eyes.

I'm OK with paying $1300 for an iPhone instead of $400 just because Billy Bob in Allentown thinks he should get paid a middle class salary to do something that doesnt even require a college education. Or any substantive education, for that matter.

I recall when NAFTA was the big topic in the early 90's. Can remember as clear as day my father telling me we were about to get sold out by our government and over time the jobs would leave the country. At the time I was young and naive and thought he was overreacting. Boy, was I wrong. Many current Congress members, Clinton, and others had their hands all over it. Trump needs to push that topic every chance he gets. Has done it already, but really needs to hammer Hilary on it when the debates come around.

How is giving them 1.4 million dollars going to aleviate their situation? Being on the Govt teet is the issue, not where the money comes from.

Govt assistance IS the problem, people need jobs.

Bill, not disagreeing with you. But about 75% of those homeless are suffering from severe mental illness. At least programs like Home First can help establish some type of structure.
As for the other lazy poors. You're not getting rid of laziness, apathy, carelessness, stupidity. It's not going away haha. Why are people so dense? At least with marijuana, prostitution, and gambling, tax payers like you Bill can't complain about shit. Having that tax pay for social programs takes you off the hook to bitch and complain about it. Sure, you can still blame them, but at least your tax dollars wouldn't be funding it. That's my point.

And not one word about corporations who are the real devil of this country. This country is heading towards corporations totally running this place. Hope you are happy when Carl's Jr is your gov't health provider.

Last edited:
A fairly remarkable first couple of paragraphs on a Trump piece on the Washington Post front page today:

"Rowanne Brewer Lane, star of the lead anecdote in the New York Times's Sunday front-page story about Donald Trump's eyebrow-raising private interactions with women, spent Monday morning ripping the newspaper for allegedly misquoting her.

There is little evidence to support the charge; Brewer Lane's complaints, upon close inspection, don't amount to a credible factual challenge."

So....think about that. This woman is the "star" of the NYT piece slamming Trump. She pushes back on the story, says the Times wasn't faithful about her comments. And the response is to say her complaints aren't credible.

She isn't credible about whether or not her comments are her own? heh.

This is what Trump will face all summer. The media gets to say what the truth is about Trump - even when it comes to conversations involving only he and one other person.

This is what Trump will face all summer. The media gets to say what the truth is about Trump - even when it comes to conversations involving only he and one other person.
I got the exact opposite spin on this kerfuffle actually. NY Times did a bad transparent hit piece on Trump, it is read by at most a couple hundred thousand.....Trump reacts and screams on cable news many times over about the hit piece and is watched by a couple million. Wash, rinse, repeat all summer & into the fall long.

Same will happen from the threatened $20M attack ads on the way from the illegally coordinated Hillary superpac. they spend all those millions on tv/web ads that few pay attention to, in response CNN/Fox give Trump hours & hours of free rebuttal time seen by 100 times over as many eyes & ears.

Probably won't be until after the Nov election that people figure out that treating the Trump campaign as if he were Bob Dole or Walter Mondale is a poor miscalculation.

I just can't agree that trade barriers improve standard of living and GDP. Protecting jobs through higher prices creates a net loss for the economy. The salaries paid to manufacture televisions, for example, will be less than the sum of the increased cost we all pay for televisions. For example, if it takes an average of $200 per television to make it economical to produce televisions in this country, then every television sold, foreign or domestically manufactured, will cost us $200 extra. If we purchase 30 million televisions, that amounts to 6 billion dollars of additional expense. There is no way that manufacturing jobs for televisions could increase to the point that the salaries are more than 6 billion dollars.
Multiply that same scenario by every product that gets imported and it's not hard to see that making your citizens pay inflated prices for products is not going to improve the standard of living in the country.

Pretty dope that the media is going the "womanizer" route on Trump...

(Trump places golf ball on tee.....literally and figuratively)

...because one of the more prominent womanizers in US political history is on the other ticket-ish.

Can only hope they keep doing it all the way to to the election and don't catch on / stop.

I'm OK with paying $1300 for an iPhone instead of $400 just because Billy Bob in Allentown thinks he should get paid a middle class salary to do something that doesnt even require a college education. Or any substantive education, for that matter.

You'd gladly pay $600 for one that cost a fraction of that to make in a sweat shop in China, and not blink an eye.

And you can demonstrate that is directly related to trade?

Transy, You can't strip away millions of good paying jobs, and not expect issues.

How many adults used to work in fast food restaurants as way to provide for a family? I worked at DQ in 1991-92 as a teenager, other than the managers it was all kids.

At some point we have to look around, we've got some serious civic issues in this country that aren't getting better. The American dream is dying a slow death.

Reactions: Willy4UK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT