POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So is the Republican Convention going to be open carry or what?
They should just bring back duels and pistols at dawn to "make America great again."
Forget that, too much chance of them missing. I would say swords but, that is for gentlemen and these guys don't fit the bill. Perhaps battleaxes and wooden hammers and beat each other until none are left.

If I was a Muslim I'd wear my traditional garb like Will Smith wore his school uniform on Fresh Prince.
I actually wore one in our camp in Saudi during the wait for the Gulf war to begin. Did it as a joke with the approval of the battalion XO to prank the battalion commander. It was night so he could not tell who it was and he really thought a Saudi national snuck into camp, He was mad as hell but had to curb his anger when finding out it was a prank set up by his XO. He did not think it was funny. Later, after we had returned to Ft. Sill and he was leaving our unit, we had a go away dinner party at one of the clubs on post. I came in wearing it again to present him with a going away gift. Finally saw the humor in it Go figure.

suddenly, the fears of something worse than merely a contested convention look more prescient:

[CNN: Do you stand by your pledge to support whomever the Republican party nominates?]
Trump: "No, I don't anymore."
Cruz: "I'm not in the habit of supporting someone who attacks my wife and family."
Kasich: "All of us shouldn't have even answered that question."

You can almost hear Hillary cackling in the background.

Yep its over. What a joke. Trump couldve MAYBE given her a run, but that was before being mercilessly attacked by his own party. His own party would rather burn the whole thing down, knowingly let Hillary win the election with little resistance, and likely alienate a large voting contingent (if not lose them altogether), probably guarantee loss of elections down the ticket; just to keep someone in their own party from having a chance to win (when he almost surely wouldnt win anyway).

Never see anything like it. May never again.

The only question that remains: are they this stupid/aloof? Vindictive? Both?

I love that the argument is the gays are sneaking around trying to force everyone to make dick cakes. I mean :joy:.

Surprisingly Z makes a post on this page and now all LEK can think about is dick.

Why do you assume they're dick shaped cakes and not traditional wedding cakes?

suddenly, the fears of something worse than merely a contested convention look more prescient:

[CNN: Do you stand by your pledge to support whomever the Republican party nominates?]
Trump: "No, I don't anymore."
Cruz: "I'm not in the habit of supporting someone who attacks my wife and family."
Kasich: "All of us shouldn't have even answered that question."

You can almost hear Hillary cackling in the background.
This should be posted every time someone insinuates that the Repubs are somehow the greater of 2 evils:

With Gary Johnson already declared, right now we have 3 candidates for November. I have a feeling we'll get a 4th before this is over.

This should be posted every time someone insinuates that the Repubs are somehow the greater of 2 evils:

Theres more than this. She has hours worth of hypocrisy, corruption, and lawless behavior. Wheres John Oliver with an impressive takedown? Maybe John Stewart will destroy her? Will she be grilled by 60 minutes? We all know itll never happen. She'll get nothing less than a coronation.

Just because they don't want Trump to win so badly is why we should all vote for him. Really, what bigger finger can we send to Washington that to elect Trump? Trump is the biggest middle finger of all time and you are all derelect in your duties as Patriotic Americans of you do not renew the Republic by flipping the entire political establishment off by electing the one guy on earth that has somehow managed to unite the Republican Party, The Democratic Party, Fox News, MSNBC, and CNN all against him at once. How can you not support that?

Surprisingly Z makes a post on this page and now all LEK can think about is dick.

Why do you assume they're dick shaped cakes and not traditional wedding cakes?
The gays Bill. They're trying to force all the good Christian bakers of this world to accept their dick cake loving lifestyle. And as an American populace, we shouldn't stand for that type of fascism. Next thing you know it, your daughters and sons will be eating dick cake. Even your own mother!:grimace:

Theres more than this. She has hours worth of hypocrisy, corruption, and lawless behavior. Wheres John Oliver with an impressive takedown? Maybe John Stewart will destroy her? Will she be grilled by 60 minutes? We all know itll never happen. She'll get nothing less than a coronation.
You are correct; this just happened to be convenient lol.

I mean, she's the most corrupt candidate in history and some people are worried about Trump's bodyguard?

SMH...

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I mean, she's the most corrupt candidate in history...
You are exactly what the president was talking about yesterday when he said this election cycle has become "untethered" from truth and fact. People just exist in this alternate universe where it doesn't bother them in the slightest to say provably idiotic things that are utterly unsupportable positions.

Hillary truly is an awful candidate but she is nowhere near being even remotely the most corrupt candidate in history. You have to be a neanderthal to believe that nonsense that any 3rd grade history class could easily disprove.

You are correct; this just happened to be convenient lol.

I mean, she's the most corrupt candidate in history and some people are worried about Trump's bodyguard?

SMH...

Not a Trump fan, but I thought he handled that pretty well last night, despite the grilling from Anderson Cooper.

They're not off limits, they just don't have the power to do anything outside of small, easily avoidable communities (Dearboristan, etc...). In contrast, Christian virtues are often invoked when bringing up laws or practices that the LGBT community feels (rightly or wrongly) harm them. I don't think anyone can credibly argue that a Muslim regime wouldn't be worse than a Christian one for the LGBT community.

Surely you jest.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...ecute-gay-people-show-sexuality-public-online

^ read downstream. Double (triple?) negatives apparently catch the wrong kind of fish because they are confusing.

Yep its over. What a joke. Trump couldve MAYBE given her a run, but that was before being mercilessly attacked by his own party. His own party would rather burn the whole thing down, knowingly let Hillary win the election with little resistance, and likely alienate a large voting contingent (if not lose them altogether), probably guarantee loss of elections down the ticket; just to keep someone in their own party from having a chance to win (when he almost surely wouldnt win anyway).

Never see anything like it. May never again.

The only question that remains: are they this stupid/aloof? Vindictive? Both?

So is it too soon to start talking about Republican canidates for 2024?

Trump could not (can not) give any Democrat a run for their money. He can't even pull 50% of Republicans to his side, and probably won't have enough delegates to secure a nomination. How in the world would he pull in enough independents and democrats to win a national election? He is a terrible candidate on many levels, but the sheer fact that he is polarizing is possibly the worst. I understand the appeal of a non-establishment candidate, but I don't understand the appeal of Trump at all. And in a year where the White House is very much up for grabs because the Democrats are running their own slate of extremely horrible options, I can't believe the Republicans can't find someone to get behind who might appeal to main stream America as opposed to the extremes of their party.

The appeal of Trump is the same as the Obama appeal, imo. He's not the other guy/side. Capture the media, and voila. Pretty easy. I can't understand why real candidates don't understand this.

But, yea, I still can't see anybody but Hillary winning. She is so blessed.

I think the November election between Trump and Hillary is way too unpredictable right now to know what will happen.

1) What happens at the conventions?
2) Will a good chunk of GOP stay home?
3) Will a good chunk of Dems stay home?
4) Who seizes the middle?
5) Current events.
6) 3 debates
7) VP choices
8) Current events (again)

No, as I've said for months, it's pretty easy to predict what will happen in November. Donald Trump cannot win a general election. Repeat after me. This has been obvious for a long time. All the talk about "the establishment doesn't want him because they will lose their fatcat jobs" may be true, but is beside the point. Trump is the least conservative Republican candidate in modern history. He's horrible in multiple ways. All of that is irrelevant, or at best secondary, at least in terms of why no Republican should want him to be the nominee. Every Republican that doesn't want Hillary Clinton to be the next President should be against Donald Trump, because his nomination ensures she will win.

It really is that simple.

Thought this was an interesting insight from someone (Stephanie Cegielski, formerly the communications director of the Make America Great Again Super PAC) who knows Trump pretty well:

"He doesn’t want the White House. He just wants to be able to say that he could have run the White House. He’s achieved that already and then some. If there is any question, take it from someone who was recruited to help the candidate succeed, and initially very much wanted him to do so. The hard truth is: Trump only cares about Trump. And if you are one of the disaffected voters — one of the silent majority like me — who wanted a candidate who could be your voice, I want to speak directly to you as one of his biggest advocates and supporters. He is not that voice. He is not your voice. He is only Trump’s voice. Trump is about Trump. Not one of his many wives. Not one of his many “pieces of ass.” He is, at heart, a self-preservationist."

Actually, that first part is what I was saying in the first stages - that he didn't want to win, he just wanted to be in the game, for "brand" purposes, and that eventually he'd get out, but would have achieved what he wanted. Only he's stayed in it, so I figured that assessment was wrong. If she's right, the fact that he simply can't beat Hillary isn't a bad thing from his perspective....

Reactions: GrandePdre
Mojo, I agree that Trump only cares about Trump. I don't like the guy. However, the farther this goes, and he hasn't dropped out, the more real it becomes. Hillary is a boring candidate, and turnout could be be low on the Dem side.

I'm just saying, while his negatives are off the charts, a terrorist attack on US soil between now and November, for example, may change things.

I just can't see it. And that's allowing for all you say, allowing for the fact that Hillary Clinton is a historically awful candidate who could conceivably be indicted over the summer. There are simply too many people who say they could never vote for Donald Trump, no matter the circumstances. I just can't see him getting over that hump.....

If Trump doesn't get the delegates then who would they try to nominate? The GOP is effed regardless. With the media vultures and the party being split, the conservatives are going to pay the price for it.

It amazes me that the left could vote for Hillary yet bash the Republican candidates. I would respect a Bernie nomination. That guy has never pretended to be something he wasn't. I don't agree with him but at least he's up front about his stances. Hillary on the other hand is a total evil piece of trash with an absurd amount of corruption, lies, contradictions, etc yet nothing sticks to her.

Seriously, do we have anyone that could get the majority of Republicans to come out to vote? That's not Cruz, that's not Rubio and it doesn't look like Trump is that guy either even though he has more supporters than the other two.

^ and evidence suggests it's not Kasich, either.

I don't think it's any of the current nominees. So where does that leave us? We had better options much earlier in the race. Walker and Paul were both better than the majority of that crowd.

I actually wore one in our camp in Saudi during the wait for the Gulf war to begin. Did it as a joke with the approval of the battalion XO to prank the battalion commander. It was night so he could not tell who it was and he really thought a Saudi national snuck into camp, He was mad as hell but had to curb his anger when finding out it was a prank set up by his XO. He did not think it was funny. Later, after we had returned to Ft. Sill and he was leaving our unit, we had a go away dinner party at one of the clubs on post. I came in wearing it again to present him with a going away gift. Finally saw the humor in it Go figure.

[roll]

That's awesome.

In terms of the Republicans, I could actually see Jeb Bush doing well in a general election. He certainly would appeal to the middle on both sides. The reasons he struggled to gain traction in the Republican primaries might actually be strengths for a general election. I've also heard stirrings that they might encourage Mitt Romney to take the nomination. He actually did pretty well in the general election last go round, and could possibly make a successful run. Especially considering that his opponent would not be a sitting President, but instead a very flawed Democrat regardless of who wins the nomination.

But, if it comes down to a lesser of two evils - Clinton would win in a landslide over Trump. He would get a ton of opposition even within his own party. I believe the Republicans would rather have 4 years of demonizing Clinton and trying to set her up to fail as opposed to Trump being their standard bearer while promoting himself for 4 years. They have absolutely no guarantees on how Trump would govern. I doubt there is anyone in either party who is uncertain about what moves Hillary would make. She is ambitious, but predictable. It will be a simple matter of sticking with the devil you know.

I wonder if a GOP congress (hopefully) would show more backbone vs a Hillary presidency than they did in the Obama presidency?

Probably not.

Reactions: drawing_dead
If Trump doesnt really want the whitehouse, whys he spent so much of his own money? Doesnt make sense. Hes stayed in too long, spent too much to not actually want to win.

Oh, he wants it for ego? Im fairly certain most every candidate the last forever has wanted it for that reason. Its not like we have humble public servants running.

So is it too soon to start talking about Republican canidates for 2024?

Id be surprised if they win another presidential election before then. By then maybe an anchor baby will be wooed to the party, and he can run. Because otherwise its over.

In terms of the Republicans, I could actually see Jeb Bush doing well in a general election

No way anyone will vote for a Bush at this point. Just not happening. Trump had a decent shot until the GOP establishment turned on him. Now its a disaster.

Walker and Paul were both better than the majority of that crowd.
Like I've said before, the way we select a nominee/president is designed to expose people and put them in the worst light. The reason Paul and Walker look better than the others is simply that they weren't in the spotlight. If they had run, and Kasich or Rubio or Perry or fill in the blank did not, then everyone would be saying those guys look like really good candidates.

rump had a decent shot until the GOP establishment turned on him. Now its a disaster.
Trump never had a shot - never. I thought it wouldn't be until late fall, October maybe, before the Trumps figure out they couldn't win and then decided to blame the party or conservatives for not supporting him enough (which of course isn't the reason he's losing or will lose). Looks like we won't make it out of March! heh.....

Reactions: jamo0001
Like I've said before, the way we select a nominee/president is designed to expose people and put them in the worst light. The reason Paul and Walker look better than the others is simply that they weren't in the spotlight. If they had run, and Kasich or Rubio or Perry or fill in the blank did not, then everyone would be saying those guys look like really good candidates.

Can you imagine if Rubio wouldnt have run? He wouldve looked like GOP Jesus.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Trump never had a shot - never. I thought it wouldn't be until late fall, October maybe, before the Trumps figure out they couldn't win and then decided to blame the party or conservatives for not supporting him enough (which of course isn't the reason he's losing or will lose). Looks like we won't make it out of March! heh.....

You dont think the GOP establishment turning on him had an effect?

Isn't this the same thing everyone was saying last July when he entered the race? He may not win, but he's going to do better than everyone expected. His only shot is to pick the right VP candidate, or HRC gets indicted.

Can you imagine if Rubio wouldnt have run? He wouldve looked like GOP Jesus.

Quoted for truth. If he could have waited one more election cycle, he might have been able to distance himself from the Gang of 8 anchor and work on his polish. Or, if Willy is right about his terribleness, he would have been devoured by his own anus or something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT