POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of course it is. But I think in the United States when people say "Asian nations" it is generally thought of as being countries where people have that traditional Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Pacific Islander phenotype. If you showed people a group of faces, and said "Pick out the Asian" they will gravitate towards the Chinese national, not the guy from Bangladesh.

Not saying it is RIGHT; just what we commonly mean in conversation.

The original post that started it all was about "countries in Asia."

In Asia would refer to a geographical place, no?

Of course it is. But I think in the United States when people say "Asian nations" it is generally thought of as being countries where people have that traditional Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Pacific Islander phenotype. If you showed people a group of faces, and said "Pick out the Asian" they will gravitate towards the Chinese national, not the guy from Bangladesh.

Ok, at least you agree on that. No sweat.

But I think most Americans are stupid as a brick, so I am very leery about an Americans opinion because you have to figure in their stupidity.

Most Americans have no clue what an Asian nation is.

Somebody should start a Paddock Fantasy Risk League on ESPN.

1462528836773051681.jpg

Most here would just want to hug each other and share everything...be pretty boring. Can you imagine playing Risk with someone that makes excuses for the other person that blows the others up?

True enough. I am 1/4 Cherokee and white with other mixed in. My skin tone is light tan all year however, with a Scottish/Irish name my black friends call me white boy all of the time. Go figure.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Very familiar with Nicholasville, have family there. So you prefer the Malaysian way of life?

No because it's Muslim, and I hate Islam. I like the fact I feel rich when I go there and they treat me good because they think I am rich white person. I would retire there if they clean up the pollution. But now they are getting bad pollution from Indonesia from burning the palm tree fields.

Reactions: allabouttheUK
No because it's Muslim, and I hate Islam. I like the fact I feel rich when I go there and they treat me good because they think I am rich white person. I would retire there if they clean up the pollution. But now they are getting bad pollution from Indonesia from burning the palm tree fields.

That's the way it was in Italy until the Euro went into circulation. We were GOD's one day and trash the next. lol

Reactions: Willy4UK
They are meant as general observations. It's natural to take a look at someone and immediately wonder where they are from. More times than not you can do it and narrow it down to a region.

I get that, but when Americans assume rather than to know, is where the problem lies.

If you asked most Americans if India is considered to be Asian, most would say no. But it is. 100%. That's the kinda stupidity I am talking about. Boy, are Americans up to their elbow and assholes in stupidity.

Damn I stand corrected again...the Middle East and Arab nations don't exist! I have seen the light thanks to the scholarly teachings of the Paddock! I thank you to those that have enlightened me.

No such thing as the Middle East...hell, why stop there, I mean Asia by definition stretches all the way to Portugal, right? Would that be Far Far West Asia? My whole world view has changed, and it's pretty refreshing. Thanks guys!

All I was saying was that i never considered Turkey and Lebanon to be part of Asia and I learned something today.

But I can tell you for a FACT that Portugal is not part of Asia..... in my "limited travels" I just happened to live there for 3 years. As a matter of fact I have stood at the western most point of Europe, Cabo da Roca and enjoyed an adult beverage on several occasions. :)

I apologize if I am coming across mean spirited. Just joking around a bit on a sad day.... bad taste on my part.

Reactions: allabouttheUK
WRONG!

Was martial law enacted following the attack in Boston? According to some extremists, it was.

Does Obama have members of the Nation of Islam working in U.S. government? No. http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslimgovernment.asp

Has Obama used the words "terrorist" and "Islam" in the same sentence to describe cowardly attacks? Not as much as I would like. They are Islamic Terrorists and should be referred to accordingly.

Keep making excuses though, you seem to enjoy keeping your head in the sand and throwing up peace signs.
Wrong again.

Ok, I'm seriously not being a smart-ass, but did you ever take any world geography classes? You listed a LOT of Middle Eastern countries, not Asian aside from maybe four of five. Yes, I excelled in World Geography. They are all in Asia.

I will concede to you. However I still stand by my contention that Japan, China, S. Korea are doing it the right way. When I think of Asian countries those are the first that pop in my head, not Laos, or Malaysia. So I stand corrected, and apologize for not making myself more clear from the beginning.

Damn I stand corrected again...the Middle East and Arab nations don't exist! I have seen the light thanks to the scholarly teachings of the Paddock! I thank you to those that have enlightened me.

No such thing as the Middle East...hell, why stop there, I mean Asia by definition stretches all the way to Portugal, right? Would that be Far Far West Asia? My whole world view has changed, and it's pretty refreshing. Thanks guys!
You are welcome.

Probably for the same reason the United States participates in drills with other countries all over the world.

You can't seriously be this clueless, can you?
The Asian Games is an athletic event in which only countries in Asia are allowed to participate. Who is clueless?

I was considering a trip to Moscow this summer. Wonder what northern Asia is like that time of year?
Today's forecast in Moscow calls for a high of 34 and a low of 15. Partly cloudy with a 0% chance of precipitation. Winds out of the NE at 14 mph. Humidity is at 64%.

Reactions: jcrow10
Is this thread even real? What the hell are you guys calling the middle east if not asian? I'm so lost. Also did anyone even bother to notice that allabouttheUK thought portugal was in Asia and not Europe? My god this is embarrassing. And you were in the damn Navy to boot! Did you not travel around in the navy, I thought that was half the fun of being in the damn military, to get to see and appreciate other cultures.

All I was saying was that i never considered Turkey and Lebanon to be part of Asia and I learned something today.

But I can tell you for a FACT that Portugal is not part of Asia..... in my "limited travels" I just happened to live there for 3 years. As a matter of fact I have stood at the western most point of Europe, Cabo da Roca and enjoyed an adult beverage on several occasions. :)

I apologize if I am coming across mean spirited. Just joking around a bit on a sad day.... bad taste on my part.

No problem! There was a large bit of sarcasm in my post. I have a hard time communicating with career students, and liberals.

Is this thread even real? What the hell are you guys calling the middle east if not asian? I'm so lost. Also did anyone even bother to notice that allabouttheUK thought portugal was in Asia and not Europe? My god this is embarrassing. And you were in the damn Navy to boot! Did you not travel around in the navy, I thought that was half the fun of being in the damn military, to get to see and appreciate other cultures.

Apparently you aren't familiar with sarcasm.

Reactions: augustaky1
"the will of the people"? He has the highest disapproval ratings (even within his own party) of any major candidate in history and didn't even break the 40% mark until it was down to a 3-man race. the narrative about him having some sort of mandate is a mystifying one, to say the least.

Actually, Trump has been above 40% throughout all primary contests according to the CNN polls. His support has remained strong regardless of the competition, and has proven himself to be the most popular Republican in the race.
march%20poll_zpsc2lc2jzg.png

Trump's chances in November ride on how many fiscal and social conservatives he can convince to hold their nose and vote against Hillary. IMO, there is significant chunk of normal GOP voters who are serious about sitting this one out as it stands right now. Trump is not viewed as very conservative by those voters, but rather a populist who wallows in the center.

Do you realize that some of us work in the investment/economic/banking businesses and recognize BS/lies easily?

"The Icelandic financial crisis was a major economic and political event in Iceland that involved the default of all three of the country's major privately owned commercial banks in late 2008, following their difficulties inrefinancing their short-term debt and a run on deposits in the Netherlands and the United Kingdom."

I can't tell if you're stupid, if you think everybody is stupid, or if you're a troll.
Great. A bank teller at Walmart is lecturing me on world finance.

"So how did the much smaller but perhaps more ambitious experiment with Friedmanite economic policies fare in tiny Iceland, one of the most physically isolated countries in the world with a population of only 320,000?

Under the leadership of Prime Minister David Oddsson and explicitly inspired by Friedman, Iceland's neoconservative young Turks implemented a radical (but now familiar) program of privatization, tax cuts, reductions in spending and deficits, inflation targeting, central bank independence, free trade and exchange rate flexibility. Corporate taxes were cut from 50 percent down to 18 percent. Privatization and deregulation were driven directly through the prime minister's office, and the major banks were privatized.

Economic missions and reports on Iceland issued by the influential International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) largely praised and encouraged these reforms, often disregarding the rising risks for its financial sector until recently.

It wasn't as if everyone was unaware of the growing dangers of these policies. In 2001, Joseph Stiglitz, recipient of the Nobel prize in economics and one of the leading lights of the "New Keynesian" school of economics, wrote a remarkably prescient paper for the Central Bank of Iceland. In the paper, he raised alarm about a vulnerable, small, open economy such as Iceland suffering from a severe financial and economic crisis from such policies. In the absence of reforms in the "global financial architecture," Stiglitz outlined a set of regulatory and tax measures that Iceland should implement "both to reduce the likelihood of a crisis and to help manage the economy through a crisis."

Stiglitz's paper (PDF) has invaluable advice that should have been considered by any nation -- and especially Iceland -- but it appears these recommendations were ignored. The right-wing reformers certainly didn't change their course. Why would they? Life was good and getting better in the small island state, with showrooms full of fancy cars and booming real estate, business and financial industries.

At first, the policies appeared to be very successful. The economy grew at a strong pace, rising until Iceland achieved one of the highest per capita GDPs in the world. In 2007 it also topped the score for the United Nation's Human Development Index.

Iceland rocketed to the top 10 in the indexes of economic freedom designed by the Fraser Institute and the Heritage Foundation. It was lauded by the conservative Cato Institute for its flat taxes, privatization and economic freedoms. The institute also criticized Naomi Klein for not mentioning Iceland (along with Ireland, Estonia and Australia) as an example of success in her book about the rise of disaster capitalism, The Shock Doctrine.

Icelandic banks and businesses, with the support of their government, expanded aggressively overseas, particularly into the U.K. and the Netherlands. The banking industry and private businesses flourished and created a number of new billionaires on the island.

Then it all came crashing down.

Inflation and short-term interest rates escalated to 14 percent, and Iceland's currency lost half its value. Now Iceland has an external debt equivalent to about $200,000 per person with virtually no prospect of repaying it.

Iceland's economic collapse wasn't caused by the subprime crisis or by the Wall Street shenanigans in the biggest economic powerhouse in the world. Instead, it was caused by the same Friedman-inspired economic policies being independently applied in one of the smallest countries in the world."

Our Walmart bank teller is onto something. Clearly Iceland's disastrous plunge into what George W. Bush characterized as "Voodoo Economics" when he was running against Reagan had nothing to do with Iceland's economic collapse. What am I thinking with this. Trickle down economics is a ponzi scheme and it has done for the United States the same thing it did everywhere else they trotted it out.

Last edited:
Wrong again.

You are welcome.

The Asian Games is an athletic event in which only countries in Asia are allowed to participate. Who is clueless?

Today's forecast in Moscow calls for a high of 34 and a low of 15. Partly cloudy with a 0% chance of precipitation. Winds out of the NE at 14 mph. Humidity is at 64%.

So you couldn't provide yes/no answers. Let's try again...

Were any Burroughs in the city of Boston on lock-down after the bombing? Were people told not to go to work? Not to leave their homes?

I used the wrong term in one of my questions. I won't ask the question again I'll just use something from one of your sources...http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslimgovernment.asp

I was speaking of regions and you decided to break out the globe, congrats.

If not knowing what the sporting event's called the Asian games are makes me clueless, then by all means I would prefer to stay that way. I'm guessing you didn't know that when having a discussion like we had been having with military undertones and then using term "games" would be equivalent to a military exercise. Does that make you clueless...guess so.

The weather forecast for Moscow makes no sense...nice try though.

Reactions: Wildcat Willy
I never would have picked that guy to represent us. Every candidate I liked got eliminated early or dropped out.

We're seriously going to become a one party country now. With open borders and even more control from the left, you can kiss this place goodbye. We're doomed.

[roll]

It's gonna be the damn same as it's always been.

You partisans on either side of the aisle kill me with the gloom and doom shit I've heard my whole life (Heard in from Dems with Reagan, Bush I and Bush II; heard in from cons with Clinton and Obama.) It's going to continue to be a gridlocked shit show where nothing gets done but finger pointing and bitching.

[roll]

It's gonna be the damn same as it's always been.

You partisans on either side of the aisle kill me with the gloom and doom shit I've heard my whole life. It's going to continue to be a gridlocked shit show where nothing gets done but finger pointing and bitching.

No way, man. With mass immigration and the Supreme Court at stake, there are huge consequences in play for the 2016 election. We're talking about a drastically different country with 16 years of Obama and Hillary at the helm.

the fact that so many GOP voters consider Hispanics to be locked up for the Democrats in perpetuity is telling. They're a natural constituency for the GOP (highly religious, working class, rural).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT