POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
3 of the 4 finalists had +10 years experience at the Appeals Court level. Thapar only had one year. Its hard to be sure that a guy isn't a Kennedy unless he has written a bunch of opinions over time. I guess that was the logic.
My buddy has tried cases before him and was worried he was too much of a grandstander to be a swing vote.

The left acts like the world is going to burn if Roe v. Wade is reversed. It's ridiculous. What will happen is what should have happened in the first place: States will pass laws addressing abortion, and the SCOTUS will finally step back from the fictional "penumbra of rights" they made up to justify their judicial activism.

True, some states will, some states won't, and we will have a patchwork of abortion laws, but lack of uniformity does not justify the judicial branch usurping power and stepping in to do what the legislative branch failed to do.

In all three of their cases, voting against a conservative Supreme Court pick would be a huge obstacle to re-election, especially if the left makes the vote a litmus test on abortion and blocking efforts to stop illegal immigration.
ah. I suppose so. Of course, it could be that they'll vote with Trump - but aren't willing to go so far as to attend in person the announcement. That could be viewed by the left as sticking it in their eye, so to speak - if you're one of those Senators, you're trying to be as uninflammatory as possible, my guess. Altho, who are we kidding - voting with Trump ensures an extreme reaction from the left, anyway.

Beyond that, I'd rather take my victories as they come - would rather have their votes now, and get the pick confirmed.....rather than look for a silver lining down the road in a possible seat-pickup should they vote against......

Barrett is out per Orrin Hatch. Well, we'll have to wait and see how whoever the nominee is will handle a landmark case. And that's the scary part

have you seen the massive plastic dumps in the oceans? the entire world should be against plastic straws. When the oceans die off from the trillions of microscopic plastic particles we will wish we had acted much sooner.

cli-oceans-density-map-superJumbo.jpg

I actually agree. The us is not the biggest offender but a paper straw is a minimal change that could have a noticable impact. Frankly I can't believe it will take Starbucks that long to pull off the change

3 of the 4 finalists had +10 years experience at the Appeals Court level. Thapar only had one year. Its hard to be sure that a guy isn't a Kennedy unless he has written a bunch of opinions over time. I guess that was the logic.

I assume his lack of tenure there was the only concern. Seems he'd be the easiest to get through.

My buddy has tried cases before him and was worried he was too much of a grandstander to be a swing vote.

I tried some in front of him and thought the exact opposite. By far the best and the judge who interjected himself the least into the trial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT