POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Against my better judgment, think I will try again on this board to have a discussion not involving the usual boogey men/women.

Any opinions on the Kentucky Pension debacle and/or comprehensive tax reform (which pretty much is a key component to solving the pension problem)?

Play golf with a good guy, just retired as a teacher at age 52, now on the draw for the rest of his life. Brother in law has a law degree, retired from state govt at age 55, now also on the draw . . . see where I am going with this?

As draconian as the consultant's report was, conclusions were largely correct. We cannot continue to pay people in the prime of their career to retire in their early 50s. I also was told by David Adkisson, CEO of the state Chamber of Commerce, that when he was Mayor of Owensboro, their police officers could retire after 20 years. One of his HS classmates retired at age 42!! Guy was not shot, injured on the job or anything, just took retirement. And O'boro is on the hook for the next 40 years for health care and retirement.

Now you can argue the "inviolable contract" until the cows come home, but states, unlike the good old USA, cannot just print money to give to retirees. And although I am 1000% in favor of tax reform in Ky, you also cannot raise the top tax rate to 8 or 9% just to fund the pension deficit, because anyone with money will just relocate to Florida or other states with lower or no income tax. Although Bevin is a bull in a china shop with his personality, he is largely leading in the right direction on both of these issues. (not that our gutless Republican legislators will tackle tax reform anytime soon, just like the previous equally as gutless Democratic legislators, they all have more or less stated they think it would cost them the next election)

Up here in nky, we're basically ignored in Frankfort, and I basically ignore Franfort, but holy shit, they've actually floated the idea of raising KY's income tax to 8 or 9%

I already pay Cincinnati income tax anyway, so I'll be moving across the river where I'll pay less than 5% income tax to OH, and all of my wife's income (at this point in time) would be tax free business income.

Against my better judgment, think I will try again on this board to have a discussion not involving the usual boogey men/women.

Any opinions on the Kentucky Pension debacle and/or comprehensive tax reform (which pretty much is a key component to solving the pension problem)?

Play golf with a good guy, just retired as a teacher at age 52, now on the draw for the rest of his life. Brother in law has a law degree, retired from state govt at age 55, now also on the draw . . . see where I am going with this?

As draconian as the consultant's report was, conclusions were largely correct. We cannot continue to pay people in the prime of their career to retire in their early 50s. I also was told by David Adkisson, CEO of the state Chamber of Commerce, that when he was Mayor of Owensboro, their police officers could retire after 20 years. One of his HS classmates retired at age 42!! Guy was not shot, injured on the job or anything, just took retirement. And O'boro is on the hook for the next 40 years for health care and retirement.

Now you can argue the "inviolable contract" until the cows come home, but states, unlike the good old USA, cannot just print money to give to retirees. And although I am 1000% in favor of tax reform in Ky, you also cannot raise the top tax rate to 8 or 9% just to fund the pension deficit, because anyone with money will just relocate to Florida or other states with lower or no income tax. Although Bevin is a bull in a china shop with his personality, he is largely leading in the right direction on both of these issues. (not that our gutless Republican legislators will tackle tax reform anytime soon, just like the previous equally as gutless Democratic legislators, they all have more or less stated they think it would cost them the next election)
With both major newspapers running daily hits and the massive amount of public employees in the State it is going to take major fortitude to get anything meaningful through. As with your cop story example, it is telling that all these pension systems were put in place by those that benefit. Lexington Police had a system that if you were 1% disabled, as measured by a board of fellow police, you could get 100% disability. All the people that want to just say "just fund it" should have to tell their neighbors they need to pay more taxes and have cuts in services. I didn't back Bevin, think he is a weirdo, but give him huge credit for trying.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
DIsxsxKVoAAkoZR.jpg

This is a 'journalist'

KY state pensions are underfunded. Badly. Due to aging cohort-1 Baby Boomers, Texas had been closing in on a similar funding problem, so our state began withholding much more, like 50% more, from our paychecks. Problem temporarily addressed.

I'm unsure how it works back home in KY, but we're vested out here for simple pension benefits at age 60 after just 5 years service. Health care benefits, ever the x-factor, are not included in our basic package. Hence a primary reason many folks, depending on age, remain in service for at least 25 years. Medicare benefits kick in at age 65 anyway, so neither KY nor Texas are on the hook for that projected liability.

Last edited:
Reactions: ymmot31
Yup. The tea party started under Bush because the spending was so bad. Weird how that fact is ignored
Bush (both of them) were complete disasters. Count me as one who is not praising Bush Sr as some great POTUS just because his time is about up.

Jeb may have ended up being there worst of them all if he had been elected.

Its amazing how Trump gets treated by the GOP knowing he was the only one they had who gave them any shot at winning last Nov.

I can see where people took the tradeoff of working in the public sector and took lower income in exchange for benefits such as early retirement. It's not the fault of the workers, don't blame anyone taking early retirement. Blame the gutless lawmakers who have kicked the can down the road and put us in this mess. Now, all the options are drastic, a lot of hard decisions and no easy answers. Somebody is going to have to bear the financial burden.

Up here in nky, we're basically ignored in Frankfort, and I basically ignore Franfort, but holy shit, they've actually floated the idea of raising KY's income tax to 8 or 9%

I already pay Cincinnati income tax anyway, so I'll be moving across the river where I'll pay less than 5% income tax to OH, and all of my wife's income (at this point in time) would be tax free business income.

Exactly, until my dad got sick and could no longer travel, my parents had a small condo in Florida where they spent 4 months or so. They could have easily stayed 2 more months and become Florida residents and pay 0 income tax.

Bevin, like the six or seven blue ribbon panels which have studied the Ky income tax, says the place to start is with exemptions. Most of us know that Ky exempts over 50% of all tax revenue due to various loopholes. I would like to see what the revenue numbers would look like if we rolled back the top rate to 3 or 4%, while at the same time repealing 90-95% of the exemptions, yes, including mortgage deduction and charitable deductions. Then we could at least see what the budget looks like and go from there. Maybe you give a first time home buyer a deduction, and then maybe the second time home buyer, after that, buy all the house you can afford to pay for, but don't expect the tax payers to fund it (and for the record, I live in pretty decent neighborhood, and my mortgage deduction is the biggest tax break I get, but would gladly give it up to get to a 3 or 4% top income rate).

The mortgage deduction is the dumbest invention in the history of tax deductions.

"Hey man, you get a tax break if you take on more debt!" Who comes up with that?

Reactions: Willy4UK
The mortgage deduction is the dumbest invention in the history of tax deductions.

"Hey man, you get a tax break if you take on more debt!" Who comes up with that?

many economists will also argue that it artificially keeps housing inflated, because of the tax advantages of borrowing a bunch of money to buy a house. I am not sure it is not better to encourage home ownership, but at one time, you could write off auto interest deductions, which ended many years ago, and I think cars have continued to be manufactured and purchased anyway

Reactions: JohnKBA
With both major newspapers running daily hits and the massive amount of public employees in the State it is going to take major fortitude to get anything meaningful through. As with your cop story example, it is telling that all these pension systems were put in place by those that benefit. Lexington Police had a system that if you were 1% disabled, as measured by a board of fellow police, you could get 100% disability. All the people that want to just say "just fund it" should have to tell their neighbors they need to pay more taxes and have cuts in services. I didn't back Bevin, think he is a weirdo, but give him huge credit for trying.
I know a guy that retired from UPS with full benefits, he was a delivery guy. Over the years he had a shoulder problem caused by his job. So.... he is disabled and draws disability from the state of KY along with his UPS benefits. That is nuts!

many economists will also argue that it artificially keeps housing inflated, because of the tax advantages of borrowing a bunch of money to buy a house.

Of course it does. So what you do is remove that over 15 years to nothing and there will be no issue.

Of course it does. So what you do is remove that over 15 years to nothing and there will be no issue.

So a business finances an apartment building and can deduct the interest payments as a business expense and rent to me, but I can't deduct my interest expense if I buy a building and live in it myself?

Reactions: blubo
Bush (both of them) were complete disasters. Count me as one who is not praising Bush Sr as some great POTUS just because his time is about up.

Jeb may have ended up being there worst of them all if he had been elected.

Its amazing how Trump gets treated by the GOP knowing he was the only one they had who gave them any shot at winning last Nov.

Please clap

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT