ADVERTISEMENT

Player that gave you the most pleasure

When UK is good, cals teams aren't plow horse. No good coach runs zone majority of time.
Never suggested running zone majority of time. And Cal doesn't teach offense. Anyone can see that with their eyes closed. Its' the coach.

Never suggested running zone majority of time. And Cal doesn't teach offense. Anyone can see that with their eyes closed. Its' the coach.
I'm going out on a limb here, but I say Cal runs good stuff on offense. He doesn't always have the players to fill the positions, but I think his sets are solid. That is why the inbound play is throw it to Toppin, because he knows he has a good set. One of the problems we had this year is that running a good set through the post, things were set up perfect, but Oscar can't pass or keep from bringing the ball to his waist. Players were open, cutting and setting up to shoot, but Oscar couldn't deliver a pass to the open guy. The only thing he could do offensively is go to the rim if the defense broke down and he could get to the rim.

People will take this a trash Oscar post which it is not. But, as I've said before, while he is a generational rebounder, no team will ever succeed centering a team around him or someone like him. That is just not the way the game is played. Guards and defense win games, and definitely NCAA tournaments. We didn't have the guards and Oscar is the worst defensive post man I can remember at my University.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I'm going out on a limb here, but I say Cal runs good stuff on offense. He doesn't always have the players to fill the positions, but I think his sets are solid. That is why the inbound play is throw it to Toppin, because he knows he has a good set. One of the problems we had this year is that running a good set through the post, things were set up perfect, but Oscar can't pass or keep from bringing the ball to his waist. Players were open, cutting and setting up to shoot, but Oscar couldn't deliver a pass to the open guy. The only thing he could do offensively is go to the rim if the defense broke down and he could get to the rim.

People will take this a trash Oscar post which it is not. But, as I've said before, while he is a generational rebounder, no team will ever succeed centering a team around him or someone like him. That is just not the way the game is played. Guards and defense win games, and definitely NCAA tournaments. We didn't have the guards and Oscar is the worst defensive post man I can remember at my University.
I agree with everything you said, except (partially) the part about Cal teaching an offense. These are things that I RARELY see in a Cal offense:

* lobs off pick-and-rolls
* backdoor cuts
* no look passes
* what I *think* is some sort of 2-out where two guards/forwards run to the same vicinity, and a defender is forced to choose between them. Results in a wide-open three.

I agree with everything you said, except (partially) the part about Cal teaching an offense. These are things that I RARELY see in a Cal offense:

* lobs off pick-and-rolls
* backdoor cuts
* no look passes
* what I *think* is some sort of 2-out where two guards/forwards run to the same vicinity, and a defender is forced to choose between them. Results in a wide-open three.
I just watched on youtube the top 50 plays by UK during Cal's tenure. We run all of those things. This year we didn't have the players to do it. I hate to keep sounding negative about Oscar, but every big guy that Cal has had before him (couldn't rebound like him) but could run a pick and roll on both offense and defense. Oscar could do neither. I really think this year playing someone other than Oscar would have resulted in better offense. We wouldn't have needed 15 rebounds a game to compete, but we could have opened the floor more. Even Ware could defend the post and dunk lobs. People say that assists don't matter when they bitch about Wheeler, but continue to say we had to have Oscar's rebounds to compete. Against KSU we out rebounded them by 19 rebounds, but the turnovers and assists killed us. You may say they only had 2 more assists, but those two assists were the dagger threes that beat us.

Honorable mention; Brad Calipari

Only because of the trolling opportunities he provided with some of those outfits he wore.

patterson. he probably should not have came here once Tubby peaced out. but he came and played for a tyrant and a drunk. He had the talent to leave and be one and done but he stayed to put up with another year of clyde's bullshit. He could have left again after his second year here but stayed because he wanted to play in the tournament. How many kids would do this nowadays?

They still aren't plow horse. When UK has been good they play fast. Get buckets in transition. Sure the half court offense isn't fast but you aren't remembering what we look like with a fast pg that can get to the basket

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT