Jan 3, 2003
So where are we bad at rebounding?

If you look at the per-30-Min stats for our guys, the 4 Forwards are at:
For the group the average is 6.0.
7.9 Theiro
7.9 Burks
5.2 Mitchell
4.7 Edwards

4.6 Bradshaw (but just 13min in 1 gm is NOT enough of a sample size to make any assessment)
These all look low, well at least Mitchell and Edwards are low, Burks and Theiro are ok. Now on the offensive boards it is reasonable to say Mitchell or Edwards is low because they spend most of their time outside the 3pt line. But that's not the case on defense, where generally 80% of your rebounds usually come from.

Almost all of the guards seem to be doing their part, actually more than, they are doing really well rebounding:
For the group the average is 4.4.
5.7 Dillingham
5.1 Sheppard
4.5 Reeves
2.1 Wagner

So how do these compare to past players, say the past 5 years where more offenses are playing 4 & 5 "out" taking our PF or C defenders away from the glass?
Forwards & Centers:
14.3 & 12.2 Oscar (outlier)
11.5 Onyenso
9.6 Jackson
8.3 & 7.9 Richards
8.2 & 7.1 Collins
8.1 & 6.7 Montgomery
7.7 PJ
7.5 Travis
7.4 & 9.0 & 6.0 Ware
6.5 Hopkins
6.3 & 8.6 & 5.4 Brooks
6.2 & 5.4 & 6.5 Toppin
6.2 Sarr
5.7 Sestina
For the group the median is 7.45, and the approximate average is 7.8. So, our current guys are under-rebounding by 1.4-1.8 per player per 30 minutes.

Guards:
5.8 Theiro
5.7 Johnson
5.6 Livingston
4.7 Juzang
4.6 & 3.5 Hagans
4.4 Boston
4.1 Herro
3.7 Maxey
3.5 Wallace
3.5 Tyty
3.3 Allen
3.1 & 2.6 Mintz
3.0 Askew
2.5 & 2.4 Wheeler
2.3 Reeves
1.9 & 3.8 Quickley
1.9 Grady
1.1 Fredrick
For the group the median is 3.5, and the approximate average is 3.5. So, our current guards are over-rebounding by 0.9 per player per 30 minutes. Which is good, but not enough to make up for the Forwards shortfall.

Now the past couple of years, I think the rebounding was lower for all but 1 player, because I believe the rest of the team thought/knew "Oscar will get it". And that is why you are seeing much better numbers from our guards this year.

Reactions: BlueSince92
So where are we bad at rebounding?

If you look at the per-30-Min stats for our guys, the 4 Forwards are at:
For the group the average is 6.0.
7.9 Theiro
7.9 Burks
5.2 Mitchell
4.7 Edwards

4.6 Bradshaw (but just 13min in 1 gm is NOT enough of a sample size to make any assessment)
These all look low, well at least Mitchell and Edwards are low, Burks and Theiro are ok. Now on the offensive boards it is reasonable to say Mitchell or Edwards is low because they spend most of their time outside the 3pt line. But that's not the case on defense, where generally 80% of your rebounds usually come from.

Almost all of the guards seem to be doing their part, actually more than, they are doing really well rebounding:
For the group the average is 4.4.
5.7 Dillingham
5.1 Sheppard
4.5 Reeves
2.1 Wagner

So how do these compare to past players, say the past 5 years where more offenses are playing 4 & 5 "out" taking our PF or C defenders away from the glass?
Forwards & Centers:
14.3 & 12.2 Oscar (outlier)
11.5 Onyenso
9.6 Jackson
8.3 & 7.9 Richards
8.2 & 7.1 Collins
8.1 & 6.7 Montgomery
7.7 PJ
7.5 Travis
7.4 & 9.0 & 6.0 Ware
6.5 Hopkins
6.3 & 8.6 & 5.4 Brooks
6.2 & 5.4 & 6.5 Toppin
6.2 Sarr
5.7 Sestina
For the group the median is 7.45, and the approximate average is 7.8. So, our current guys are under-rebounding by 1.4-1.8 per player per 30 minutes.

Guards:
5.8 Theiro
5.7 Johnson
5.6 Livingston
4.7 Juzang
4.6 & 3.5 Hagans
4.4 Boston
4.1 Herro
3.7 Maxey
3.5 Wallace
3.5 Tyty
3.3 Allen
3.1 & 2.6 Mintz
3.0 Askew
2.5 & 2.4 Wheeler
2.3 Reeves
1.9 & 3.8 Quickley
1.9 Grady
1.1 Fredrick
For the group the median is 3.5, and the approximate average is 3.5. So, our current guards are over-rebounding by 0.9 per player per 30 minutes. Which is good, but not enough to make up for the Forwards shortfall.

Now the past couple of years, I think the rebounding was lower for all but 1 player, because I believe the rest of the team thought/knew "Oscar will get it". And that is why you are seeing much better numbers from our guards this year.
Cannot help but wonder, certainly do not pretend to know, but are Sheppard and Dillingham gambling, sagging on and leaving their opponents enough to account for some of their very impressive rebounding numbers ??

THANKS for working the data up ... very interesting stuff !!!

Last edited:
In that one game Bradshaw couldn't/wouldn't jump to get rebounds. That IS a problem, especially for a guy as tall as him. His numbers in 13 minutes are valid. Maybe his next game he'll have more of a motor. Thiero absolutely needs to be playing, and put Burks in there when there's foul trouble.

Which says to me more than anything Thiero is just a Mother of a man. So glad we have him.

The elevated guard board numbers should continue so we really don’t need anything world shaking from the post. Just have those post players keep it near 7 apiece.

Reactions: megablue
But Cal's teaching rebounding! He put a lid on the rim!!!!

6fb0f13de52819a11350d818124b0559_w200.gif

In that one game Bradshaw couldn't/wouldn't jump to get rebounds. That IS a problem, especially for a guy as tall as him. His numbers in 13 minutes are valid. Maybe his next game he'll have more of a motor. Thiero absolutely needs to be playing, and put Burks in there when there's foul trouble.
I like Burks effort. And think he could be quite good next year. But right now he is a TO waiting to happen, negating his rebounds and other good plays.

We are 96th in defensive rebounding %. Not great but not horrendous either

However, we are 287th in offensive rebounding %.

That puts an awful lot of stress on making shots and not turning the ball over. That figure needs to be much better.

We are 96th in defensive rebounding %. Not great but not horrendous either

However, we are 287th in offensive rebounding %.

That puts an awful lot of stress on making shots and not turning the ball over. That figure needs to be much better.
I think a big part of that is playing 5-out. But when you do that, you should also always have guys moving to get open, and part of that should be cutting through the paint to get to the other side of the court, and when the shot goes up that cutter should get himself into prime rebounding position.

I like Burks effort. And think he could be quite good next year. But right now he is a TO waiting to happen, negating his rebounds and other good plays.
That is true about Burks. I propose adding dots of Velcro to the ball, and strips of Velcro to his hands. It's worth a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT