ADVERTISEMENT

Pilgrim says changes coming to lineup...

Z is confused and lost on the court every second he is in. Not all his fault as he hasn’t had as much time preparing as the other guys did but he does not help this team. All the big guys should get spot minutes at most.
Considering the difference in minutes between Z and Ugo/Bradshaw ... I would say Z deserves some playing time before either of them. He's just too skilled to sit.

Every time I hear his name mentioned it always creates an image of John Wayne bending over one of those old timey typewriters. "This team needs help. I'd bet my Pulitzer on it."

john wayne stagecoach GIF by FilmStruck

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Of course the King of Sunshine Pumping hates Z.

I love Z and am no pumper, but that criticism is absolutely valid on one end of the floor especially. Z is our worst defensive big, his rotations are really bad for this level and his pick and roll defense makes Oscar’s look good. It’s not all Z’s fault because he hasn’t been with the team long enough, but his game has flaws that were exposed badly on Saturday by a great coach. If a guy gives up more than he scores, it’s hard to play him big minutes.

Small ball beat North Carolina and had Kansas on the ropes until our inept Coach play awful lineups down the stretch and left the best scorer in the SEC on the bench the majority of the second half.

They were two of our better defensive performances as well. We held UNC to just 1 PPP and Kansas scored 1.06 PPP.

For reference, we are allowing about 1.10 PPP in SEC play. Both would have been well above average, especially considering opponent.

I agree, if we were a good defensive team he would be a deadly weapon but we're not, and there lies the dilemma. Z is lost defensively and we're already averaging 89 points a game. We need the 4 and 5 to stop us from getting bitch slapped in the paint..
If they were other options yeah, but they all suck defensively, like every single front court player is terrible at defending

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Well Cal knows what we all know. AB is not gonna be drafted. He’s still pushing Edwards
Edwards simply is not talented. Very soft around the rim (worst finisher I’ve ever seen), not a good outside shooter with a long/slow release, mediocre handles, not a good leaper. I’m honestly not sure of one thing he’s really good at. Like Onyenso can block shots, Burks a high flyer with energy, Z can shoot.

He has gotten one chance to play extensive mins. I do have eyeballs, it s called not making an overall big picture judgement on a kid who gets thrown in for 2-3 mins a half. Of course they are gonna press. Thats why a lot of these players press they don’t have any clue what their mins are going to be
Did you play sports? If you are not in the rotation, you know that when you get in, you have limited time to look good to get more minutes. He had some lobs against Vandy, but that was like when my kids were young and they played a scrimmage game against another team. Those were designed midweek for the kids that never got to play on the weekend. The kids that never play get to play alot, and one may hit a bunch of shots, but he still wasn't doing what he was supposed to when playing against the good players. Z is so lost when he is in the game. If he is going to play Z, he has to play him at the 4 and try to get him some threes, because he is lost and atrocious in the paint. Nothing but fouls. His rebounds are generally luck because he missed a block and the ball fell to him and he is a foot taller than everyone. From what I have seen, if we are going to play one of our 7 footers at the 5, it has to be Ugo. He is the only one that makes a different defensively in the paint. If his hands weren't made of stone he could be really good. But his blocked shots alone puts him ahead of the other 2.

If they were other options yeah, but they all suck defensively, like every single front court player is terrible at defending
Well hopefully we'll get a healthy Mitchell the rest of the way. There will be times when Z will get some PT. but Ky has to focus on toughness and staying focused. Theiro and hopefully Mitchell will be the core of that, with which ever of our 3 seven footers are bringing it on both ends.

Did you play sports? If you are not in the rotation, you know that when you get in, you have limited time to look good to get more minutes. He had some lobs against Vandy, but that was like when my kids were young and they played a scrimmage game against another team. Those were designed midweek for the kids that never got to play on the weekend. The kids that never play get to play alot, and one may hit a bunch of shots, but he still wasn't doing what he was supposed to when playing against the good players. Z is so lost when he is in the game. If he is going to play Z, he has to play him at the 4 and try to get him some threes, because he is lost and atrocious in the paint. Nothing but fouls. His rebounds are generally luck because he missed a block and the ball fell to him and he is a foot taller than everyone. From what I have seen, if we are going to play one of our 7 footers at the 5, it has to be Ugo. He is the only one that makes a different defensively in the paint. If his hands weren't made of stone he could be really good. But his blocked shots alone puts him ahead of the other 2.
Yes I played sports, I played basketball, soccer, and track in high school, so I’m aware of team dynamics and inter-politics within teams. With that being said, nobody in the frontcourt is performing outside of theiro, and he is playing at like 75-80 percent. Cal doesn’t design anything, his whole offense is based off of beating your man off the dribble. He runs that horn set, which he has ran his whole time here, and occasionally he will call a pin down, or a baseline screen for a shooter. All of those burks lobs were in transition so they couldn’t have been called plays. Ugo can only play in certain matchups because he is extremely limited offensively and gets torched in pick and roll. Ivisic gets torched to but atleast he can make up for it if Kentucky would put him in positions on offense to succeed

• Love
Yes I played sports, I played basketball, soccer, and track in high school, so I’m aware of team dynamics and inter-politics within teams. With that being said, nobody in the frontcourt is performing outside of theiro, and he is playing at like 75-80 percent. Cal doesn’t design anything, his whole offense is based off of beating your man off the dribble. He runs that horn set, which he has ran his whole time here, and occasionally he will call a pin down, or a baseline screen for a shooter. All of those burks lobs were in transition so they couldn’t have been called plays. Ugo can only play in certain matchups because he is extremely limited offensively and gets torched in pick and roll. Ivisic gets torched to but atleast he can make up for it if Kentucky would put him in positions on offense to succeed
where do you put Z in a position to succeed? the 3?

Just play him like a modern big. Let him float out on the perimeter sometimes. Let him play facing the basket. Cal still expects anyone 6-9 or taller to play like a 1980s center, staying down low, back to the basket. That ain't gonna work with a guy like Z. If Cal has no clue how to utilize players like Z, he shouldn't recruit them! His skills are simply wasted playing Cal's antiquated style.

Edwards/Ugo make up 25% of this rotation. Sorry that is not going to do anything good. One of them is fine, but Z has to be in this mix. If not cal is an idiot, well he his anyway. Whatever, I just can’t stand this prick!!!!

Would agree. That said, what I think I didn't mention was the commitment to play Tre at the 5. That is what JP mentioned...they will run more of the Canada/pre-"bigs returned" lineup.

Said may start traditional, whatever that means but if embracing Canada lineup it is more of a combo of:

DJ, Rob, Shep, Reeves at 1-3 spots (120 mins)
Thiero, Edwards at 4 spot (40 mins)
Mitchell, Ugo at 5 spot (40 mins)

The big BUT is exactly what you mentioned and which assistant is making sure he doesn't "forgot to play him" moment doesn't happen.

Of course Edwards makes the lineup. I love the kid but Z needs minutes. He should get them all from now on. He’s our best offensive big man by far.
Offense is not the problem. We lead the nation in scoring. Z is constantly lost on defense. He stays confused about where to be and who to pick up. It was not a glaring failure in his debut against Georgia because they had never seen him. Now, however, opposing coaches know how to exploit him and it is too late in the year to coach him up to where he should be. He may be able to help us here and there on a spot duty basis but Ugo is much farther along defensively and on the backboard and that is what we need from that position. We have other guys who can make three-point shots.

Reactions: ganner918
regardless of what Calipari does, its nothing short of coaching incompetence to be in this position where he has no idea what is the best line up for the program.

and if he is talking about doesn't care who is upset outside of UK, that tells you all you ever needed to know about his rotations and playing favorites.

HE HAS TO GO.

You cannot trust Calipari to do the right thing for the program. He admits as much

Offense is not the problem. We lead the nation in scoring. Z is constantly lost on defense. He stays confused about where to be and who to pick up. It was not a glaring failure in his debut against Georgia because they had never seen him. Now, however, opposing coaches know how to exploit him and it is too late in the year to coach him up to where he should be. He may be able to help us here and there on a spot duty basis but Ugo is much farther along defensively and on the backboard and that is what we need from that position. We have other guys who can make three-point shots.
Everybody is lost? He’s at least bigger and can block some shots.

JFC the man can't buy a clue.

Changing the lineup yet AGAIN.

What it needs is to be the same.

Jeez this guy.

Why not commit to hedging, or a zone defense?
The hedging issue is what I don’t get. I don’t understand how we can never adjust to ball screens. It’s absurd. It’s like we just accept it and just play it the best we can. I think at this point we should just switch everyone.

Every time he touches the ball he walks or almost does. His lateral quickness is terrible that's why he had so many fouls last game. He can't dribble to save his life. You don't have eyeballs.
No, you don't. "Every time he touches the ball...?" LOL you didn't see him in the Arky game.

Wow you are sooooo missing the point. It's literally going RIGHT over your head.

The point is that CAL has no idea how to play him. Or he has some sort of agenda where he doesn't want him to succeed. Those are the two possibilities.

Any other coach would be running plays for Z to pop threes.

He's FIVE FOR SEVEN on the year and his shots look pure. Not flukes.

He has gotten one chance to play extensive mins. I do have eyeballs, it s called not making an overall big picture judgement on a kid who gets thrown in for 2-3 mins a half. Of course they are gonna press. Thats why a lot of these players press they don’t have any clue what their mins are going to be
You don’t have an eye for talent. It’s ok, I would just avoid these discussions if I was you.

The truly sickening thing about all of this is that we all know how it ends:

1. We get beat in the first weekend.
2. A bunch of guys who are not ready (in the mode of Chris Livingston and BJ Boston) will leave for the g-league anyway. That will include Big Z, Edwards, Wagner, and Bradshaw. I see Onyenso, Burks, and Hart all hitting the transfer portal.

Maybe Sheppard returns. Maybe he leaves. Next year's hopes will depend on his decision.

The ugliest thing about the last two and a half weeks is that most of its been at home. By the end of the this upcoming Tuesday night game, we will have had four games at home out of five, with the fifth being the closest game to Lexington (Nashville against Vanderbilt). That means UK hasn't really had to travel at all, and has been able to stay comfortable in or near Lexington and get extra practice time in.

They've still been terrible, however, which is a horrifying prospect for this team going forward. If we net more than 21 wins this season, it will probably be a small miracle. This team is just not very good at all when it comes to winning when it matters.

The ugliest thing about the last two and a half weeks is that most of its been at home. By the end of the this upcoming Tuesday night game, we will have had four games at home out of five, with the fifth being the closest game to Lexington (Nashville against Vanderbilt). That means UK hasn't really had to travel at all, and has been able to stay comfortable in or near Lexington and get extra practice time in.

They've still been terrible, however, which is a horrifying prospect for this team going forward. If we net more than 21 wins this season, it will probably be a small miracle. This team is just not very good at all when it comes to winning when it matters.
UNCW, Florida, Gonzaga, aTm. All winnable games. We could be 20-3 right now. What a freaking WASTE. Cal should resign in shame.

UNCW, Florida, Gonzaga, aTm. All winnable games. We could be 20-3 right now. What a freaking WASTE. Cal should resign in shame.
We have underachieved, But every team in the country has lost multiple winnable games, has lost at least 1-2 games they should have won.
The problem as I see it is that we are regressing, or at best staying the same while others are improving.

We have underachieved, But every team in the country has lost multiple winnable games, has lost at least 1-2 games they should have won.
The problem as I see it is that we are regressing, or at best staying the same while others are improving.
"We" aren't regressing. Cal is. Z can still hit 3s. Sheppard is still a monster. Dilly rides the bench with Z while Edwards plays 29 minutes.

You don’t have an eye for talent. It’s ok, I would just avoid these discussions if I was you.
Edwards may have more potential than burks but that is a big “may”. However burks is more of what this team needs right now, burks is a better defender/rebounder/ and energy guy by a wide margin.

If Cal gives up on Edwards and Bradshaw, he loses his Klutch pipeline. There's too much at stake from a recruiting standpoint. He's sold his soul to the agents.

Well he at least didn't have Bradshaw in there.

I mean, it's a start I guess. If this is what he said, and he actually sticks to it, then maybe we right the ship a bit.

Just sad we had to wait until we lost 7 games, 3 of our last 4 for this to happen.

Think all would agree Z looks pretty lost on defense which is why when he is in the game you park his ass in the paint and tell him to guard the rim. That can be zone or even man to man. Most opponents we play don’t have a big consistently knocking down the 3 ball. Let him go out there, no need for Z to follow. A decent, not even good or great coach, knows how to play around the weaknesses of their players. Of course cal is not even decent so here we are.

Edwards may have more potential than burks but that is a big “may”. However burks is more of what this team needs right now, burks is a better defender/rebounder/ and energy guy by a wide margin.
Energy guy, yes. But he’s pretty awful at everything else. My point was if he’s a guy we’re advocating for more minutes for we should just forfeit.

Cal will ride his golden goose Edwards all the way till the bitter end. In his mind Edwards must break through for this team to win. He's also giving him unlimited showcase time for the NBA. No hate for JE. His coach has let him and his family down.

Don't shoot the messenger...just stating what I read.

Calipari is now committed to small ball lineup.

Rotation will go to 8 man and only 9 if needed.

DJ
Shep
Rob
Reeves
Mitchell
Thiero
Edwards
Ugo

Says the change is coming even if it breaks some hearts or rubs some people in basketball world the wrong way.
Cal probably bringing Brad back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT