ADVERTISEMENT

Pilgrim hinting no Cyril?

Jack Pilgrim on Draft Night and Klutch Sports — Klutch basically lied to Livingston… begin year they guaranteed him a lottery pick.. later, then guaranteed him first round.. then guaranteed him they have had a promise for the 2nd round. But during draft night, that fell through. And that Rich Paul calling teams telling them not to pick him, because he had a guaranteed landing spot was a lie. And it was smoke screen because Klutch blew it.. And some Klutch guys are considering cutting ties with Klutch…

Kind of sounded like they thought they had a deal with the Lakers, but something changed on draft night. and the leak about Rich Paul calling teams was to save face.

And as of 2 hours ago, yes Pilgrim was pretty adamant the Somto would finish grades in July/reclassify, and enroll at UK in August. Said the has always wanted to play for Calipari/UK.
The Lakers are moving away from LeBron calling shots. They were never taking Livingston and had a chance to take a few Klutch clients (Nick Smith Jr and Noah Clowney as well as Chris Livingston) and passed to take Hood Schifino and Max Lewis was a Jesse Buss favorite and younger Buss Brothers have shown a good eye in evaluations since being more involved. Alex Caruso, Gary Payton Jr, and Austin Reaves being a prime example. Really like the Colin Castelton pickup as well as an UDFA.

The lame ploy of telling teams "We've got a spot don't take him" so they hopefully take him is complete embarrassment on behalf of the agency. Disgraceful to their clients. Then again they took two players who were talked up as being potential #2/#3 in the Lottery picks (Lively and Smith Jr) and they were #12 and #27 and really only Clowney went were you'd have expected after the year he had and his upside.

Not sure I love the idea of adding Dante if it would mean losing Ugo.
He's a vet, which we could certainly use, and put up good, not great numbers on a team that missed the Tournament.
I know Onyenso has yet to prove anything at this level, but his potential, particularly as a shot blocker is intriguing.
And from a depth standpoint, if we lose Onyenso (again) and Bradshaw misses a bunch of games/outright doesn't play we're still thin at the 5.

I'm torn. Am I totally wrong here? Should we be willing to lose Ugo for the guy with the higher floor?

Reactions: warrior-cat
Not sure I love the idea of adding Dante if it would mean losing Ugo.
He's a vet, which we could certainly use, and put up good, not great numbers on a team that missed the Tournament.
I know Onyenso has yet to prove anything at this level, but his potential, particularly as a shot blocker is intriguing.
And from a depth standpoint, if we lose Onyenso (again) and Bradshaw misses a bunch of games/outright doesn't play we're still thin at the 5.

I'm torn. Am I totally wrong here? Should we be willing to lose Ugo for the guy with the higher floor?
Where’d the Ugo leaving again talk start? Haven’t seen it anywhere. We need another center. Ugo isn’t playing 40 minutes a game.

At some point,even if the player has some minutes lined up for him, he might see a team like Kentucky as being a bit too packed, with one ball. I'd be very surprised if we get anyone else of importance.

We have to have another center.One isn't enough.

It's probably the one position that a team *could* go light on, if needed. We have Ugo, and we also have Bradshaw to fill in. He might not want to play Center, but at 7'0 tall, he would at least be serviceable to play it. After that, you go small ball and hope for the best.

So sure, it would be nice to have a legit backup center.. but most are going to pick a place where they can start. It's going to be harder and harder to have depth so long as players can transfer at will.

On another board, straight from Pilgrim he is saying Cyril isn't the slam dunk he was a week ago. It isn't dead but isn't a lock any longer.

Said other schools offering immediate and significant PT. UC and some others.

Said Martin is heating up in terms of next assistant. Jack mentions speculation Dante could come with but would mean Ugo hits portal again (didn't think he could now- my thoughts, not his)?

Ended by saying still over a month before Cyril would be ironed out so time for it to shift back to more favorable for UK.
Just going off what another poster mentioned in this thread.
Apparently Jack Pilgrim said on the other board that Dante ::could:: come along with Martin, but it would mean Ugo hitting the portal again.
Isn’t it past the deadline?

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Pilgrim said it on a pay site. Said "it (Dante) would likely guarantee he (Ugo) hits the portal again"
So is Dante a legit chance, or is just smoke because of Martin coming. I honestly like the brwdshaw mrichell front line with ugo and whoever backing them up, they can space the floor better that way

So is Dante a legit chance, or is just smoke because of Martin coming. I honestly like the brwdshaw mrichell front line with ugo and whoever backing them up, they can space the floor better that way

I have no clue man. His posts are kind of weird.

In one post he says other schools are offering more immediate PT- UC and Providence.

In another post he says the issue is the reclass.

In both instances he leaves the possibility open of him joining the team this year or next.

I mostly just view that board....probably won't renew once the special expires in a month or so. It is this board with much less arguing and the stupid CCC, fat Cal stuff, tbh....which is refreshing but I'm kind of over arguing.

I have no clue man. His posts are kind of weird.

In one post he says other schools are offering more immediate PT- UC and Providence.

In another post he says the issue is the reclass.

In both instances he leaves the possibility open of him joining the team this year or next.

I mostly just view that board....probably won't renew once the special expires in a month or so. It is this board with much less arguing and the stupid CCC, fat Cal stuff, tbh....which is refreshing but I'm kind of over arguing.
I fell ya, no need for arguing this week with reeves and Mitchell back, I honestly want to see ugo get his shot just to see what they have

So we should have benched toppin to play Livingston at the 4? Not sure that helps the team any IMO.
No but he could have split time with him there at least part of the game. 15 minutes at the 4, 15 at the 3. I think he would have been a way bigger advantage at the 4 on offense.

The Lakers are moving away from LeBron calling shots. They were never taking Livingston and had a chance to take a few Klutch clients (Nick Smith Jr and Noah Clowney as well as Chris Livingston) and passed to take Hood Schifino and Max Lewis was a Jesse Buss favorite and younger Buss Brothers have shown a good eye in evaluations since being more involved. Alex Caruso, Gary Payton Jr, and Austin Reaves being a prime example. Really like the Colin Castelton pickup as well as an UDFA.

The lame ploy of telling teams "We've got a spot don't take him" so they hopefully take him is complete embarrassment on behalf of the agency. Disgraceful to their clients. Then again they took two players who were talked up as being potential #2/#3 in the Lottery picks (Lively and Smith Jr) and they were #12 and #27 and really only Clowney went were you'd have expected after the year he had and his upside.
I just read about how they got some football player taken like 3rd or 4th a big contract and a 22 million signing bonus. Maybe it functions better not having LeBron involved on that side of it.

I have no sources nor will I ever, there is a random guy who messages me on Twitter for whatever reason and he is a Memphis guy and he seems convinced brown is going to Memphis
Yeah, I think you mentioned this before. So, I asked my buddy this afternoon who has some really strong ties to Memphis coaching staff. He said he hasn’t heard anything about Brown showing up there. So thought that was weird. I have another guy that told me, few times, that Kentucky would be seriously interested in Brown if/when he hit the portal, and the admiration likely went both ways. So, I’m trying to figure out if anyone else has heard anything.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think you mentioned this before. So, I asked my buddy this afternoon who has some really strong ties to Memphis coaching staff. He said he hasn’t heard anything about Brown showing up there. So thought that was weird. I have another guy that told me, few times, that Kentucky would be seriously interested in Brown if/when he hit the portal, amid the admiration likely went both ways. So, I’m trying to figure out if anyone else has heard anything.
With Mitchell on board now I don’t think they would anymore, but who knows. I’m guessing they go with Mitchell, bradshaw, ugo, and burks/Thiero and if somto comes go with that

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
With Mitchell on board now I don’t think they would anymore, but who knows. I’m guessing they go with Mitchell, bradshaw, ugo, and burks/Thiero and if somto comes go with that
I guess so. I really like Browns offensive game. But I think maybe Somto on defense would be just a beneficial. Probably more so, because honestly, I think defense is what we need more than anything.

Mitchell. You know that already but you will say he’s a PF so that you can complain about not having a C. 😂

I mean, he's probably gonna split minutes between the 2, but we still need another big???

I guess so. I really like Browns offensive game. But I think maybe Somto on defense would be just a beneficial. Probably more so, because honestly, I think defense is what we need more than anything.
I like brown a lot to, with as much as they have building ugo this offseason I can’t see them bringing in somebody over him. I honestly like mitchell and bradshaw in the front court because of versatility and floor spacing Kentucky can have

You gotta have another big, especially with Bradshaw a question mark.
Definitely take somto if he gets eligible, I just like the idea of going small with maybe theiro and burks filling in. But I agree with bradshaws question mark, better to be prepared than not

Reactions: westerncat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT