ADVERTISEMENT

Pilgrim hinting no Cyril?

Cyril has to finish schoolwork to even be eligible to reclassify. I've never been fully confident that would happen. If it does get the work done then we'll see if he shows up.
Didn't Duke have some guy get something like a year of work done in 30 days to get eligible a few years ago? Seems like he was from LA.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
I just read about how they got some football player taken like 3rd or 4th a big contract and a 22 million signing bonus. Maybe it functions better not having LeBron involved on that side of it.
The NFL has a rookie wage scale, a dog catcher could’ve gotten Will Anderson the exact same contract. The salaries and signing bonuses are known before the draft for each draft slot.

• Love
Reactions: Chase4UK
He always needed the summer classes to move up and there are not any issues with him doing it. He will be a cat quit reading all the internet rumors. I will say it once again, patience grasshoppers. Cyril is fine.
R.ad5eb2a1a899c2c83e60b6f11af93480

Yes master Po. ;)

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Givony is projecting UGO as a 1st rounder and he is not just some hack, I’m not sure why no one is giving UGO any respect.
They have developed this opinion that because Ware got the backup minutes last year, then Ugo must not be very good. Yet, they also think Cal is a horrible coach and doesn't play the right lineups, but for some reason when it comes to Ugo, they blame the player instead of the coach. Everyone who watches/coaches Ugo, NBA analyst and so on think he is a very unique talent that should be a major impact player, particularly on defense. His offense is still developing, but he has a very good shot and most people who know much think he will be good in that area as well.

They have developed this opinion that because Ware got the backup minutes last year, then Ugo must not be very good. Yet, they also think Cal is a horrible coach and doesn't play the right lineups, but for some reason when it comes to Ugo, they blame the player instead of the coach. Everyone who watches/coaches Ugo, NBA analyst and so on think he is a very unique talent that should be a major impact player, particularly on defense. His offense is still developing, but he has a very good shot and most people who know much think he will be good in that area as well.
There was a guy on Leach's show last week that said this is the best shot blocker since Nerlens, UGO will be very good next year. As I have said many times this team will ultimately go as far as DJ and Dillingham, UGO will not be the problem.

There was a guy on Leach's show last week that said this is the best shot blocker since Nerlens, UGO will be very good next year. As I have said many times this team will ultimately go as far as DJ and Dillingham, UGO will not be the problem.
Exactly. Not to mention, we now have Mitchell who can spell Ugo, and hopefully Bradshaw plays, which is another high-quality guy you can put at the 5. If Somto comes, we are absolutely loaded at the 5 spot.

Centers taller than 6’9 , or so , with polished offense and can protect the rim are playing professionally somewhere . If Somto or Ugo develop their offense much at all , UK has something pretty unique in the college game

Lively was a 5 & 5 player and was drafted 12th. Draft means nothing, people. Please please please get that through some of your heads.
Kinda funny you left the stat out about him being 10 in the nation in blocks, which made him one of the best defensive players in the nation lol. You know there is offense and defense in the game of basketball and I think his offense will be much improved.

Givony is projecting UGO as a 1st rounder and he is not just some hack, I’m not sure why no one is giving UGO any respect.
Just going by last year’s stats:

Dante- played in 31 games(started 30) and averaged 13,4ppg, 8.4rpg, 1.4bpg in 26.2 minutes a game.

Onyenso- played in 16 games(0 games started) and averaged 2.5ppg, 2.6rpg, 1.0bpg in 6.9 minutes a game.

Onyenso has potential, but Dante is a proven commodity. This UK squad has plenty of potential, but it could use more experience.

I may be wrong and it’s probably a moot point anyway. I doubt Dante wants to come here, he could have out of HS. He probably loves it at Oregon since he has stayed there for four years.

I hope all you guys who are high on Onyenso are right and he is great. I’m just skeptical of a guy who barely saw the floor last season becoming a 30 minute a game starter. That doesn’t happen very often.

There’s a difference between lack of respect and understanding that one player can’t play 40 minutes a game at the collegiate level and be successful. We need one more big man to be complete in my opinion and that is no disrespect towards Ugo. Mitchell and Bradshaw are penciled in at the four and Bradshaw is now coming off of surgery.

Dante- played in 31 games(started 30) and averaged 13,4ppg, 8.4rpg, 1.4bpg in 26.2 minutes a game.

Onyenso- played in 16 games(0 games started) and averaged 2.5ppg, 2.6rpg, 1.0bpg in 6.9 minutes a game.

Onyenso has potential, but Dante is a proven commodity. This UK squad has plenty of potential, but it could use more experience.

I may be wrong and it’s probably a moot point anyway. I doubt Dante wants to come here, he could have out of HS. He probably loves it at Oregon since he has stayed there for four years.

I hope all you guys who are high on Onyenso are right and he is great. I’m just skeptical of a guy who barely saw the floor last season becoming a 30 minute a game starter. That doesn’t happen very often.
Extrapolated out, say Onyenso plays 28 MPG, which seems realistic if Bradshaw is a no go, that is just over 10ppg, 10.4 rbs, and 4 blocks. That's not exactly bad.

I agree with you.

I'm not a fan of rolling into the season depending on Onyenso as our primary big. If we're chasing a Final Four, you've got to have a dependable big man. Give me Dante, if possible. If Oneyenson blows up and takes a huge leap, fine, but going from 7 minutes a game to being a starter on a Final Four contender in 6 months seems like the type of projection leap that history doesn't usually support.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Are they mutually exclusive. Sell them on playing half the game each.
I would love for that to happen, but word is Onyenso will transfer if we add an experienced guy like Dante.

Cyril is probably our best bet. Onyenso probably wouldn’t be scared off by a reclassing Freshman.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Extrapolated out, say Onyenso plays 28 MPG, which seems realistic if Bradshaw is a no go, that is just over 10ppg, 10.4 rbs, and 4 blocks. That's not exactly bad.
But Onyenso wasn't putting up those stats against elite competition. He hardly played in the SEC. The averages multiplied by extra minutes are misleading.

I'm expecting something close to 7 ppg, 7 rpg, 2.5 bpg. Elite rim protection, but very little on offense.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Lively was a 5 & 5 player and was drafted 12th. Draft means nothing, people. Please please please get that through some of your heads.
If Ugo is a 5 and 5 player and one of the best rim protectors in the country, then that is a win for us and something I will take 10 times out of 10.

I would love for that to happen, but word is Onyenso will transfer if we add an experienced guy like Dante.

Cyril is probably our best bet. Onyenso probably wouldn’t be scared off by a reclassing Freshman.
same old crap........the inmates running the asylum
this is exactly why he came back from the portal, ccc promised him a starting position & playing time
take Cyril if you can get him & Dante if he wants to join. If Ugo wants to transfer, then let him. ccc needs to regain control of the program or move on. Enough is enough.

If you play both of them 20 mins each at center not sure how you get mitchell and Bradshaw their minutes. I think UK will be best with those 2 in and edwards, reeves and either Wagner or Dilly and going fast. Just IMO and know calipari loves plow ball.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
But Onyenso wasn't putting up those stats against elite competition. He hardly played in the SEC. The averages multiplied by extra minutes are misleading.

I'm expecting something close to 7 ppg, 7 rpg, 2.5 bpg. Elite rim protection, but very little on offense.
If we just get the numbers you suggested, that's more than enough with what we have. We don't need some Elite 5 man, we just need one who is serviceable and mainly blocks shots, catches lobs and put backs, rebounds and doesn't clog the lane. I think that honestly plays into his strengths.

What he does well (mainly blocking shots) won't just magically regress against better competition. He also managed himself well when facing Hunter Dickinson last year, and he is one of the better and stronger centers in CBB. I would expect a more experienced and stronger Ugo to have a solid year.

Would love to eat crow for this take in 9 months but I just don't think Onyenso is going to be very good at all. It feels like we do this hype game every year in discussions about returning, unproven big men - Marcus Lee, Dakari Johnson, and EJ Montgomery come to mind - and it never turns out the way we expect. (Junior year Nick Richards being the only exception I can think of).

So if there is opportunity to bring on a talented/proven player at the position, then do it. And if Onyenso transfers because of it then it is what it is, IMO.

I will take 7/7/3 right now from Onyenso and not play the season. Those are great numbers for a team built like ours. He does that and he will be gone after the year. I think the kid is going to be very good. Forget what you watched last year. He came in a year early and was never even suppose to see the floor. He impressed enough that the coaches thought " oh shit let's see what this guy actually can do, maybe he helps this year." Now he has had a full year in college weight room and coaching. He will be greatly improved.

Would love to eat crow for this take in 9 months but I just don't think Onyenso is going to be very good at all. It feels like we do this hype game every year in discussions about returning, unproven big men - Marcus Lee, Dakari Johnson, and EJ Montgomery come to mind - and it never turns out the way we expect. (Junior year Nick Richards being the only exception I can think of).

So if there is opportunity to bring on a talented/proven player at the position, then do it. And if Onyenso transfers because of it then it is what it is, IMO.

Dj was fine given his minutes his 2nd season. He should have returned in 2016 and im curious how that team would have done with him and murray and ulis.

Dj was fine given his minutes his 2nd season. He should have returned in 2016 and im curious how that team would have done with him and murray and ulis.
Yep.

Johnson was what the 2016 team was missing: a big body inside.

Ulis
Murray
Briscoe
Poythress
Johnson

That would have been a pretty solid starting five with Hawkins, Matthews, Willis, Lee, and Labissiere coming off the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT