ADVERTISEMENT

Petition to have a spring game

BigTyrone

All-American
May 21, 2002
planet earth
The time is now for the inaugural John Schlarman Spring Game!

Please sign and share with everyone you know! Here's the text from the petition please take a minute to read it, sign it if you'd like to see this happen, and follow up here to let us know you're in.

If you could share on social media and with friends, this could pick up traction and catch Mitch's attention.

The petition:

Mitch and Company,

Greetings and Salutations!

Please consider having some sort of televised Kentucky Football Spring Game.

The fans are eager to see some actual football. The logistics of staging a scrimmage without fans should be much less complex than a regular spring game which some of our peers are having.

There will be no need for parking, ushers, security, or concessions.

There would be no additional social distancing risk, as players and staff would already be in contact during regular non-televised practices.

There is no need for an extravagant ESPN style production. Multiple camera angles are already set up as practices are recorded for review in the film room.

It shouldn't be difficult to find three commentators who are chomping at the bit to work on something like this.

As the Kroge will be understandably and appropriately occupied with Covid vaccinations, the event can be staged at a practice field. Or a local high school. Or a field on a horse farm. Or someone's back yard. Or a hermetically sealed bomb shelter.

This would bring some normalcy to this roller coaster of a hot twisted dysfunctional vortex of bumbling confusing chaos that the sports world - and the country at large - has been this past year.

This would be a great opportunity for the inaugural John Schlarman Memorial Spring Game. It would honor the great man and late coach who gave so much to the program.

The players would have a chance to showcase their talents and have some exposure. The fans will have a better idea of who our guys are, and a chance to discover new personalities on the roster.

It's also a fantastic opportunity to show appreciation to these fans who have stuck with it through the past tumultuous covid year, and are eager to get back to a regular routine.

Lead the way back to that path!

While there would be new considerations in light of the tragic pandemic affecting us all, this is possible. We're a week away from 68 teams converging in Indianapolis for a mega sporting event.

If the frequently organizationally challenged NCAA can stage a televised sporting event - Why Not Us?

In the words of an all time, great...

COME SEE ABOUT IT!

Fanatical Regards,

BBN

Last edited:
I think UK should decide what it should do with respect to the spring game. Fans aren’t privy to all information regarding these decisions and should realize that just because they want something doesn’t make it the best decision. I don’t know what’s up with the spring game but I am fine with whatever stoops and Mitch think is in the best interest of the program.

Assume all the practices will be closed except for media on some days so with no spring game, theirs remains no food for the hungry masses. 🤔

I'd rather them keep using it as a vaccination center and get as many people as possible so we can have full stadiums in the fall.
For 1 day for a few hours? Most spring games are like 6pm Friday....nobody is getting shots at 6pm You still have a health departments.. I think the decision is UK can't make any money off of it.

The time is now for the inaugural John Schlarman Spring Game!

Please sign and share with everyone you know!

I can appreciate wanting to do something for Coach Schlarman and naming the spring game in his honor would be a great start. But how about charging a small charge to the game, 10-20 bucks, and fund a couple scholarships in his name? Doesnt have to be football players just deserving UK students. Scholarships would be self funding and create a legacy for Coach Schlarman that would last as long as UK football.

I can appreciate wanting to do something for Coach Schlarman and naming the spring game in his honor would be a great start. But how about charging a small charge to the game, 10-20 bucks, and fund a couple scholarships in his name? Doesnt have to be football players just deserving UK students. Scholarships would be self funding and create a legacy for Coach Schlarman that would last as long as UK football.
Another great idea and I would like to see this happen in the future.

Sorry if this is a dumb questions, but why can't they play the game at Nutter or the practice field with limited seating and make it PPV to stream?

Reactions: CB3UK
I don't keep up with news on vaccines but i thought by now KY would have quite a large # of people who have had the vaccine already. My wife and i have had ours for 2 weeks now. Of course we both are over 70.

Reactions: BigTyrone
Sounds like the only reason we aren't having one is so commonwealth can still be used as testing and vaccination location. I'm sure they can move that somewhere else for 2 hours or so.

I wouldn't even suggest that, the vaccinations obviously take priority. Please check out the petition, we're just hoping for a practice which is televised. It certainly doesn't need to be in the stadium. I'll update the OP with the petition text.

That's a great idea.

Signed! No reason we can't do something at Nutter, even if it's some 7 on 7s or whatever for an hr on TV with no attendance.

Zero doubt in my mind if they had a full attendance spring game Commonwealth would be full. The fanbase is dying right now to get out there.

Signed! No reason we can't do something at Nutter, even if it's some 7 on 7s or whatever for an hr on TV with no attendance.

Zero doubt in my mind if they had a full attendance spring game Commonwealth would be full. The fanbase is dying right now to get out there.

Yep.

I think it's great they're not doing tackling right now. I don't want a spring game as much as I want to see a practice session. Skellies and drills would be fine with me.

Miss getting to view practices in person more than I miss games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT