ADVERTISEMENT

Vandergrift UGA Spring Game

EliteBlue

All-American
Mar 27, 2009
I’ve been off the grid the last few days. If this has already been posted than my apologies.

Here’s some Georgia Spring Game highlights from 2021 for those that haven’t seen it.

Reactions: sambowieshin
I can't say I was impressed by his arm strength. He completed one out pattern that wasn't exactly zipped in there. Kind of a funny wind up type motion. Good quickness and escapability. Hard to believe he's much of an upgrade over Sheron.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I can't say I was impressed by his arm strength. He completed one out pattern that wasn't exactly zipped in there. Kind of a funny wind up type motion. Good quickness and escapability. Hard to believe he's much of an upgrade over Sheron.
Yeah….. feeling a little sad right now myself.

First of all, that was 2 years ago when Georgia's defense was lights out. Second, he's obviously a pretty good athlete with some quickness and pretty good speed. Third, controlled scrimmage like this means absolutely nothing as we've seen Blue-White superstars who never saw the field in a real game. Fourth, after a certain point, arm strength is extremely overrated. He seems to have at least average arm strength. The ability to read the defense and get the ball on time to the right receiver >>>>> arm strength. Finally, he was recruited by Georgia, practiced against that defense for 3 years, has undoubtedly gained strength and knowledge. Let's not be disappointed before we see the first pass in Blue. Geez, overreact much?

Looks not great but they show a graphic that lists his year as freshman. Is this from his true freshman or RS freshman years?

First of all, that was 2 years ago when Georgia's defense was lights out. Second, he's obviously a pretty good athlete with some quickness and pretty good speed. Third, controlled scrimmage like this means absolutely nothing as we've seen Blue-White superstars who never saw the field in a real game. Fourth, after a certain point, arm strength is extremely overrated. He seems to have at least average arm strength. The ability to read the defense and get the ball on time to the right receiver >>>>> arm strength. Finally, he was recruited by Georgia, practiced against that defense for 3 years, has undoubtedly gained strength and knowledge. Let's not be disappointed before we see the first pass in Blue. Geez, overreact much?
It’s the mechanics for me. No zip on the ball. Everything floated. Nothing on line. Long slow wind up with a funky delivery. Reading D’s is important and can be learned but we have seen time and time again, bad mechanics can be extremely hard to overcome. He doesn’t even sniff an undrafted free agent contract with what this video shows. He needs to be on the phone with whoever Will Levis’s offseason QB coach was and be in their gym first thing tomorrow morning.

Reactions: aikenite4uk
I mean a lot could have changed since this video since it is definitely older film. So I’ll continue to hold on to my hope. The folks at UG A seem to really liked him

Vandagriff was an early enrollee in the class of 21. He had been on campus for like 2 months when the 21 Spring game was played. His mechanics (windup) in his HS film were concerning to me. But, you can’t take much from this video, IMO, bc he had just joined the team & hadn’t really had time to develop, or, work out any kinks, yet.

Surely, UGA’s staff has improved his throwing motion, at least a little, over the last 3 years. And, I don’t think they would’ve wasted the scholarship if they didn’t see SERIOUS potential in him, considering they could’ve had, practically, anyone they wanted. It’s possible that he’ll look like a completely different QB when our Spring game rolls around.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrimsonCats
It appears as if he only throws as hard as he has to. What I really like is he keeps his eyes downfield and throws a very catchable ball with touch. That video is also from 2021, the defense he was going against was just slightly above average (pun intended). Also keep in mind, arms like the one Levis possess is not the norm.
Let’s not forget Hartline did not have a cannon but was successful and Dusty Bonner had trouble throwing a hail Mary into the end zone from the 40 yd line. I believe he’ll do just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: gamecockcat
Vandagriff was an early enrollee in the class of 21. He had been on campus for like 2 months when the 21 Spring game was played. His mechanics (windup) in his HS film were concerning to me. But, you can’t take much from this video, IMO, bc he had just joined the team & hadn’t really had time to develop, or, work out any kinks, yet.

Surely, UGA’s staff has improved his throwing motion, at least a little, over the last 3 years. And, I don’t think they would’ve wasted the scholarship if they didn’t see SERIOUS potential in him, considering they could’ve had, practically, anyone they wanted. It’s possible that he’ll look like a completely different QB when our Spring game rolls around.
But....don't you know nobody can improve, get better at their craft? All that practice time/film study/throwing reps with professional coaches is a waste of time. Here's a guy who isn't even on campus but he's already a bum. And this coming from people who don't know the difference between a curl route and a 1-3-1 zone.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Every UGA person I have spoken to down here in Atlanta, had nothing but good things to say about the kid. They say he was stuck behind 2 first rounders. Anyone making judgement on a freshman year spring game is kinda out there. Having said that, I am going to make a judgement on his legs. He can move..lol

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Yeah I'm sure Liam and the staff didn't know about this film.....if only he had a opportunity to see a couple qbs in his time or had played the position himself so he knew what to look for.

Reactions: Seakat311
Describes Mike Hartline. One of the better QB's UK has had.
He isn’t playing the same schedule as Mike Hartline. If that’s the bar we are measuring success and talent with we are in trouble. Hartline lost to a 6-7 Tennessee, a 6-7 Georgia a 4-8 Ole Miss. Hell even Florida was 8-5 that year. He was good but his stats are padded by what is probably one of the worst years of football the SEC East has ever seen. Combined with a pathetic non-conference schedule. Vandergriff has to be 5x better than hartline to win the same games in 2024. I understand this is an older Spring game so I’m still very hopeful but comparing him to Mike Hartline will result in a Hartline type 6-7 result.

Describes Mike Hartline. One of the better QB's UK has had.
No. He had a good 5th senior year because finally got understanding of offense.
But rest of career is MEH at best.
Hope we don't have to wait that long for Vandergriff.
But, way more physical talent than Mike, so not sure it's a good comparison.

He isn’t playing the same schedule as Mike Hartline. If that’s the bar we are measuring success and talent with we are in trouble. Hartline lost to a 6-7 Tennessee, a 6-7 Georgia a 4-8 Ole Miss. Hell even Florida was 8-5 that year. He was good but his stats are padded by what is probably one of the worst years of football the SEC East has ever seen. Combined with a pathetic non-conference schedule. Vandergriff has to be 5x better than hartline to win the same games in 2024. I understand this is an older Spring game so I’m still very hopeful but comparing him to Mike Hartline will result in a Hartline type 6-7 result.
If he throws for yardage Hartline did it will be a great season.

I’m not in love with what I see on that tape, but we’ll see.

I feel like for a number of years going forward, we will be comparing all our qb’s to Will Levis, with or without saying his name directly. He was just a tough dude, and I think going forward we will see we were lucky to have him. For a good number of years going forward, I think we will say for QB, give me two more years of Will Levis over anyone else we get (even if they are from an elite SEC school). Hope this post doesn’t age well and I am proven wrong though!

Last edited:
Reactions: EastLansingCat
It appears as if he only throws as hard as he has to. What I really like is he keeps his eyes downfield and throws a very catchable ball with touch. That video is also from 2021, the defense he was going against was just slightly above average. Also keep in mind, arms like the one Levis possess is not the norm.
Let’s not forget Hartline did not have a cannon but was successful and Dusty Bonner had trouble throwing a hail Mary into the end zone from the 40 yd line. I believe he’ll do just fine.
Exactly. Throws a catchable ball...with only as much zip as necessary. Joe Montana ring any bells? Rated top ten recruit at any position out of high school. Every scouting report I have read refers to him having a strong arm.

Here’s the 2023 UGA spring game. It’s not limited to BV’s highlights just the full game. His first drive starts at 10:00. He throws a deep ball that looked alright and the DB interfered on. Motion looks a little weird but maybe better than in first video?

Second drive starts about 29:00. It’s only two throws but they look solid

Exactly. Throws a catchable ball...with only as much zip as necessary. Joe Montana ring any bells? Rated top ten recruit at any position out of high school. Every scouting report I have read refers to him having a strong arm.
Just watched his senior year hudl film. Excellent movement throwing on run and off platform. Very good at hitting receivers in stride on crossing patterns. Very good at layering over linebackers with touch. If I recall correctly threw 31 tds against 3 ints. Film didn't show him throw deep much but toward end of film he put one in the air 50 yards and hit his receiver on the money.

Before everyone writes him off, watch his hudl film. It is impressive. You can easily see why he is highly rated. As a bonus, he is a real threat to tuck and run. He has wheels.

I love this place! Kid should have still been in HS as he enrolled early, has 15 total college practices under his belt and rolls into his first Spring game against the best defense in the country and some people are convinced that he's just not that good based on the highlights of that game.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
If anyone wonders how he progressed, all you have to do is look at his series vs UK this season. Looked really good to me. It's only one series against a beaten foe but much closer to reality than a spring game in what should've been his sr year in highschool

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT