ADVERTISEMENT

Pete Maravich responds to Pat Riley calling him the most overrated superstar whoever came down the pike

Jordan was great but, would not have won a title without the supporting players he had. All of them knew he was the man and agreed to be support players (very good ones). If Pete had a similar type supportive team, he would have won a few titles too.

Reactions: christophero
I disagree. The NBA just knows better now. He was a heck of a basketball player and great human being. However, he was one dimensional as a basketball player. Today's athletes and style would completely shut him down. Jimmer would score 40 a game in those days too.
As someone who has seen Maravich in person on both levels….

I fart in your general direction for even putting Pete and Jimmer(LOL) in the same sentence.

Good grief.

People need to put all of this into context. Remember Pat Riley's background and the area he grew up in? Riley was a NY guy with more than a little attitude. That trait has served him well in the rough and tumble NBA.
Having said that, he was partially right about Pistol Pete. Because of what he was required to do at LSU, he most likely never had to fully integrate himself into a team construct. Until arriving in the NBA, he had to carry the heaviest load. That's a big change to ask of any player. Average 40+ in college and then be happy with 20 per game and half of the possessions? That's tough on anyone.
On a individual basis though, Pistol Pete was a complete freak of nature. We may never see the likes of him play the game ever again. I see some of Pete in Rajon Rondo but, Rondo has proven he can (for the most part) fit into a team concept.
But, some of the things Pete could do with a ball have yet to be matched at any level.

I just watched the top 20 Pete Maravich plays on youtube. Some of these things I've never seen before what he does with the ball. He was like a guy on the Globetrotters in an NBA game. Just crazy.

I just watched the top 20 Pete Maravich plays on youtube. Some of these things I've never seen before what he does with the ball. He was like a guy on the Globetrotters in an NBA game. Just crazy.
The bounce pass where he would be facing one direction but bounce it the other was unbelievable. Anyone who even mentions Jimmer in the same sentence with Pistol Pete needs their account disabled, banned from sports boards and should take up knitting or watching the Kardashian's.

Riley played in college on one of the ultimate all time college basketball TEAMS. Maravich was a one man circus act at LSU. If he had played for someone other than his Dad, maybe it would have been different for him in college and the pros. But, as it was, he was taught to be a one man team. No wonder that Riley considered him to be "overrated" to some extent because being a team player is part of being a good player.

Reactions: KMKAT
No wonder that Riley considered him to be "overrated" to some extent because being a team player is part of being a good player.
Though he still admitted he was a superstar, just overrated. ;)

all I can say is that no one else has ever made me say "Wow!" like Maravich did. He looked like he was having fun, putting on a show, and not giving a shit about where he would be drafted or how much he would make. There aren't many players in the major sports that people would PAY to see, but he was one of them. Others: Brady, Floyd Little, Gretsky, Bench, Rice, Pele, Jordan, Bird, Sayers, Elway, Ruth, Palmer, Trevino, Tiger, DiMaggio, Jim Thorpe, Nolan Ryan. I'm sure there are others not listed. But these guys sold tickets!!

Last edited:
I like how his no look passes were always catchable. He would float them to where the guy was going.And the way he would spin the other way after a no look pass was sweet.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
There are many players in the big three who were great but never won titles but, they are team sports and you need to have more than you to make it happen.
The point was the Hawks were a playoff team before Pete in a much smaller league and needed someone to make them better.
Pete didn’t do that, and caused dissension on the team. Some guys just have that effect.

Pete was great for the HORSE games they put on to promote the league.

Pete didn’t make anyone better at his peak But he was a big time talent.

Finally, young Pete would not have been so cordial with that Riley comment.

yeah the "todays athlete's" thing is an over assumed response to anything outside the last 10 years. Go back and look at some of the "athletes" he played with and against. He didnt play in the 20s. Most of those guys were just as athletic (see Jordan, Drexler, Wilkins, Thompson etc) most outside Jordan just didnt look as fluid because the style hadnt evolved to the freedom of movement today (mainly due to how the ball is allowed to be handled).

Reactions: Gromcat
Pete was great for the HORSE games they put on to promote the league.

Pete didn’t make anyone better at his peak But he was a big time talent.

Finally, young Pete would not have been so cordial with that Riley comment.
To be fair, he was still pretty young in this clip. Coming from a guy who is 41 ... Maravich was never NOT young, sadly.

I like the fact Maravich didn't even show a molecule of bitterness when the quote was brought up.
Much different than the players that play th game today...Riley was my all time favorite UK player, but is wrong here in his evaluation of PM.

If this was a recruit hype video the title would say “AND THINGS GOT HEATED!!!” and wouldn’t shit happen.

Pete took the high road. Either that or he knew Pat was right.

I always liked Maravich. After watching that video, I like him even more. His response to the Riley comments was so kind and respectful. The first thing he did after Firestone read that quote was to praise Riley. What would Jordan have done in a similar situation?

Not that Jordan could ever be called over-rated. That's not the point. Responses like that just give you a peek into someone's innermost self. Pete seemed like a good dude. Jordan? The best basketball player EVER, but maybe not such a good dude.
Not just MJ, but LBJ or Kareem or any giant star. Most aren’t that humble

Not just MJ, but LBJ or Kareem or any giant star. Most aren’t that humble
Especially if you’ve been dominant. MJ, LBJ, and Kareem were all multiple time mvps and world champs. Easier to be humble when you were a great individual player and that’s it.

Especially if you’ve been dominant. MJ, LBJ, and Kareem were all multiple time mvps and world champs. Easier to be humble when you were a great individual player and that’s it.
So being humble is hard?

If you are the best and everyone is always telling you that you are the best, I'd say it could be a challenge.
Ahhh, so it’s a others that dictate one’s own personality, ethical behavior, values and moral virtues.... interesting.
They just aren’t assholes.

Ahhh, so it’s a others that dictate one’s own personality, ethical behavior, values and moral virtues.... interesting.
They just aren’t assholes.
Didn't say both can't be true. Of course all of those guys are assholes. And other people continued to pump them up.

That was his problem. He often played the game like he thought he was a globetrotter, instead of focusing on winning. Like it or not, there’s a lot of truth to Riley’s comments. Pete was an atrocious defensive player, and he was also known as a turnover machine (due to how reckless and risky he was with the ball).

Pete’s style of play was great for racking up offensive stats and putting on an entertaining show for the fans, but it ain’t conducive to winning. Which helps explain why he never won a damn thing at any level.

Reactions: christophero
I just know Riley beat a football players ass. My friend who passed a couple years ago told me the story but I don’t remember the football players name. He said Riley was much smaller but was tough as nails and he whipped him pretty good. I know Riley was drafted to the nfl. My good friend who passed was also good friends with Louie dampier. I wonder if anyone else knows the story?
I didn't know the story, but ill ask my dad. He was casual friends with Pat, but my pops played baseball with Louie and was a good friend in college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT