ADVERTISEMENT

The most pleasantly surprising players

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
For me, I'm most surprised by Dillingham and Burke for what I've seen of them this fall. Dillingham was pretty shaky in Canada and his transformation has been very impressive to me. He's clearly stronger now and can finish. He was quick then and now but he can finish consistently. He has a very unique quickness (twitch) with the ball and will give teams fits, and with the added strength he becomes even more dangerous. Someone mentioned he's the quickest player we've had since Fox and I agree.

Jordan Burks is much better than I expected from the beginning. I didn't expect much from him to be honest, and maybe that's just my own ignorance of his game. We see a bunch of 5-star guys coming to town and expect them to dominate. Then we see a 4-star guy who isn't getting the hype and think of him as a project or something. Well, I'm very pleasantly surprised. He has a great motor, and a nose for the ball, good instincts cutting to the goal and making plays.

I'm not putting down any of the rest of the guys, by the way. Edwards is an NBA talent. Wagner didn't play as well as he did in Canada but he's gonna be fine. Sheppard is better than I expected too but I knew him already. The veterans, Reeves, Mitchell, and Thiero are critically important to this team. I'm also looking forward to seeing the 7-footers as soon as possible, especially Bradshaw.

This team has tremendous potential and, when healthy, significant depth that we haven't seen in several years. I'm looking forward to seeing what they become.

They are playing pretty loose out there last night....Im hoping the team chemistry gets better.

Being 4th best by the experts in the sec pre-season, makes me mad. Coach Cal has recruited some of the best and even the other sec coaches do not feel sorry for him and the team he has put together this year.

The refs last night kept it closer than it really was.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
For me, I'm most surprised by Dillingham and Burke for what I've seen of them this fall. Dillingham was pretty shaky in Canada and his transformation has been very impressive to me. He's clearly stronger now and can finish. He was quick then and now but he can finish consistently. He has a very unique quickness (twitch) with the ball and will give teams fits, and with the added strength he becomes even more dangerous. Someone mentioned he's the quickest player we've had since Fox and I agree.

Jordan Burks is much better than I expected from the beginning. I didn't expect much from him to be honest, and maybe that's just my own ignorance of his game. We see a bunch of 5-star guys coming to town and expect them to dominate. Then we see a 4-star guy who isn't getting the hype and think of him as a project or something. Well, I'm very pleasantly surprised. He has a great motor, and a nose for the ball, good instincts cutting to the goal and making plays.

I'm not putting down any of the rest of the guys, by the way. Edwards is an NBA talent. Wagner didn't play as well as he did in Canada but he's gonna be fine. Sheppard is better than I expected too but I knew him already. The veterans, Reeves, Mitchell, and Thiero are critically important to this team. I'm also looking forward to seeing the 7-footers as soon as possible, especially Bradshaw.

This team has tremendous potential and, when healthy, significant depth that we haven't seen in several years. I'm looking forward to seeing what they become.
Everyone said Burks was a legit player, playing in OTE really hurts knowing how good some of them are. He’s gonna be good, I can see why we wanted him.

I have loved what I've seen from Thiero so far. He seems to poised to make a huge sophomore jump. I'm not surprised from the freshman so far. All of them are performing just about the way I thought they would with exception of Edwards, but he will be a stat stuffing machine sooner rather than later.

For me with out a doubt the biggest surprise has been Tre Mitchell. I knew he was versatile, but not to the level he has shown so far. At this point he has been a reliable inside scorer and rebounder. A dagger thrower from outside and most surprising of all, the best passer on the team. If he can keep up this level of play throughout the season then in my humble opinion the sky is the limit for this team.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Everyone said Burks was a legit player, playing in OTE really hurts knowing how good some of them are. He’s gonna be good, I can see why we wanted him.
Well, I definitely agree that he's a player. I figured he'd be a solid player but he's exceeded my expectations. I'm kind of reminded of SGA from a few years back. I'd say Shai is better but Burks is similar in that he's significantly better than I expected. He's gonna be tough to keep him off the floor, from what Ive seen so far.

Yeah Dillingham and Burks for me too. If we get that same level of growth from Dillingham that we saw from Canada to now from now to SEC play, we're going to be in great shape. He's going to need significant minutes. Maybe we'll need to play him alongside Wagner a ton of minutes rather than just swapping them out for one another in the lineup?

I think the lineup that may need the most minutes (not accounting for the bigs just yet) could be:

Mitchell
Edwards
Reeves
Dillingham
Wagner

Once we get one or more bigs back, maybe it's something like:

Bradshaw/Big Z/Ugonna
Mitchell
Edwards
Reeves
Dillingham/Wagner (will have to just swap them out I guess in this scenario with the bigs back)

Dillingham was jawing too. I really like Burks. Good size. Athletic.

Tre Mitchell gives Kentucky a much needed stretch 4 that the Cats have been lacking for a few years and his leadership presence on a young team. Huge pick up late in the game and been impressed with his perimeter game since the Canada trip. Also, Burks stepping up to play the 5 while the 7 footers are out was great to see and hopefully give us a few good games like Marcus Lee did as a freshman in the 2014 NCAA Tournament while the Bradshaw, Ugo & Big Z are out of the lineup.

Burkes might become my favorite player. I think he can breakout like Shai Alexander. If anything he can be a lockdown defender off the bench.

Agree about Dillingham

Agree about Dillingham
Yeah, Dillingham looked really solid in that exhibition. He is obviously stronger, able to finish, and he was much more steady with the ball in his hands as well.

What I noticed in Canada...
1. He was very lightweight, lacking strength, not able to finish.
2. He wasn't making plays- gave away way too many turnovers, forcing the issue when there wasn't anything really available.
3. He wasn't making shots with much consistently.

I've seen significant improvement on all those fronts, and truth be told, if he wants to contribute as a point guard he's got to make strides on those things, and he has.

Mitchell
Theiro
Shepherd
Burks
Dillingham

Impressed with all of these. Mitchell will be the true MVP (although not getting the accolades). Theiro is the glue on this team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT