ADVERTISEMENT

Paolo Banchero

We'd be blessed to land any of the remaining targets, and I'd argue that landing even Askew puts us in a great position next year, even if you land decent but not great bigs. I think Brooks might actually return in a scenario where he'd be a focal point on the interior next year (thus, if UK landed one of the remaining elite bigs in Brown and Banchero, but not both). A core of Askew, Quickley, Clarke, Boston, and Brooks would be pretty incredible.

That said, if this thing goes to the next level and UK somehow adds an elite big to go along with Cunningham (I'm not on the space shuttle of hopes and dreams yet), Kentucky will likely do what last year's Duke team was supposed to do by at least making the Final Four (beyond that, who knows what can happen). For one, the pieces would fit together better than the ones in Durham did last year. A Cunningham/Askew backcourt, with a Clarke/Boston/Fletcher/Allen wing collection and Banchero/Brooks/Ware down low (probably plus one more interior player to be named later)?

That's an insane amount of talent and actually fits together better than anything we've seen since maybe the 2012 team (the 2015 team didn't have the type of wing forwards that a Clarke/Boston/Fletcher/Allen quartet would give Cal, even when Poythress was healthy). The depth would be Final Four level, and the front end talent would be right up there with what we saw in 2010 and 2012, maybe even better.

I really think Cal wants that second title before the OAD rule changes. Not that he can't win without it, but that he is privately seeking some vindication as the undisputed greatest OAD coach ever (he's already there, in my view, but this would shut down the Coach K contrarians). A national title with five freshmen starters would be just the thing to catapult him into that realm.

Reactions: jace2012
Askew, Cunningham, and Banchero I feel like is ALMOST a certainty at this point. Throw in Kuminga and my goodness. With the other guys, easily the best class ever. IF we end up with all that. Hell, w/o Kuminga it still would be.
Are you saying Done Deal? We had one with Blackshear and a few others. Love those Done Deals.

Reactions: FFWhite
Heck no. Not in this day and era. I just feel really confident we are at the top of their list and there have been some positive momentum with them. The secret verbal IS a very big name. If I was a betting man ( I am), Banchero is the guy. Once again not saying it is a "Done Deal", but IMHO, he is it.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
Cunningham doesn't feel like a certainty at all.

OSU just rolled out an article right before Cunningham came to BBM. It detailed what a positive role Cade's brother was having on the OSU team - a reminder to the scant OSU fan base who might be paying attention that Cade is still conjoined at the hip to their recruiting hopes.

I still feel if UK lands Cade, it will be one of the most extraordinary events in our program's recruiting history. Those saying otherwise are negating the very real reality of the the relationship between Cade and Cannen.

Last edited:
Reactions: yoshukai
The pieces didn't fit in Durham last year because the Rat Faced Bastard couldn't stop kissing Williamson's (bought and paid for) ass long enough to realize he had four other players out there. I guess he figured if were going to give him and his family a million dollar house then we better make our investment look good !

The pieces didn't fit in Durham last year because the Rat Faced Bastard couldn't stop kissing Williamson's (bought and paid for) ass long enough to realize he had four other players out there. I guess he figured if were going to give him and his family a million dollar house then we better make our investment look good !
Disagree. I feel like RJ Barrett was Duke's problem last year.

Who started the trend of having kids put on the jersey of the team a player was taking an official visit to? I see every school does it now, and wonder who started this trend.

Not really. Zion was not the problem.

This is completely nonsensical.

RJ Barrett had 702 FGA in 38 games.

Zion Williamson had 435 in 33 games.

Barrett and Cam Reddish combined to miss 661 FGA. Zion missed 139.

You don't just get to make up a reality that fits your agenda.

The pieces didn't fit in Durham last year because RJ Barrett was allowed or possibly even encouraged to do a James Harden imitation, and he was wildly inefficient in the role. And Cam Reddish and every other player playing off the ball threw up a metric ton of bricks. Without Zion, Duke last year probably ends up barely top 25.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT